How To Beat The New England Patriots

PatsFanTX

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/3763778

Quote:

Originally Posted by article

One of the articles from Scientific Football 2005 that I have received the most feedback on is the Patriots offensive overview.

A good portion of the feedback has come from people who say the article explains why the Patriots receivers aren't good fantasy players, so I thought I would run the article here and expound a bit on it:

"One of the reasons the Patriots offense is so damn good is that they have a clear idea of what it is they are trying to do not only with each player, but also with each unit. As I've pointed out many times in this book, there are many teams who have schemes that they try to force onto players who simply don't have the proper skill set to run it. The Patriots don't have to do this on offense in large part because of Tom Brady.

"Everyone likes to talk about Brady's leadership, his grace under pressure or his 'big-game ability.' That's all fine and dandy, but you know that I don't deal in that kind of mumbo-jumbo when it comes to player analysis.

"There are four specific skills that Tom Brady has that separate him from the rest of the league. He has no fear in the pocket, he finds the open receiver, he's accurate with the pass and he doesn't make bad decisions. I can't tell you how few NFL quarterbacks have all four of these skills, and no NFL quarterback has all four in the abundance Tom Brady does. The benefits these traits offer are sometimes so subtle that they require additional emphasis.

"I've broken down nearly every New England game from the past two seasons, and I have yet to find a time when Brady felt the pass rush. What I mean by this is that Brady always maintains his downfield vision, even when the pocket is collapsing. He also has the same ability Joe Montana had in making the first pass rusher miss.

"He has an instinctive feel for where the pocket is. He can also adjust to the pocket's movement without having to take his eyes off of looking downfield, and he seems to almost always move with the pocket at just the right time. This is something so many quarterbacks are taught but so few can do well, and Brady is simply the best at it.

"Brady also finds the open receiver. That sounds simple enough, but Brady's pocket presence actually makes this trait even more valuable. Because Brady is so good at buying time in the pocket, and because he has such an intense focus on how the play is developing, he is able to look at third and fourth receivers more often than any other quarterback.

"One of the ingenious things the Patriots coaches do to take advantage of this is to allow all of their receivers to run routes at all depths. Take a look at the Pats receivers and look at their pass depth distribution.

"Every single one of their receivers was used frequently on every depth level. It isn't that their receivers are so great at running routes, although they aren't bad. It's simply that the Patriots realize Brady will find the third and fourth receivers, and they don't want to limit what those receivers can do. It's not only that Brady does a great job of seeing the field. It's also that the Pats coaches have found a way to maximize the value of that skill set.

"Even though his bad decision percentages were high, Brady doesn't typically make poor decisions. He made 12 poor decisions in 19 games, but three of them came in the Monday night game at Miami. Those three plays also accounted for 11 out of the 24 weighted poor-decision points Brady had all year, so if you subtract that one poor game, you have nine poor decisions and 12 poor-decision points in 18 games. Now that's damn good.

"New England also has a very clear idea of what role they want their passing game to serve in their overall offensive philosophy. When the Patriots pass, they want to do one of two things. They either want to use the passing game to augment their running game, or they want to get vertical. The best way to illustrate this is by their percentage of short, medium and deep passes.

"The Patriots had the lowest percentage of short passes in the entire league, (so much for the dink-n-dunk name calling) and there's a clear reason for this. Their short passing game is simply a tool to accomplish three things: 1) To keep defenses from putting eight defenders in the box; 2) To make sure the defense backs don't stay too far off the line to cheat for the deeper passes; and 3) As a checkoff in the event the deep pass isn't open. The Pats also run a very safe short passing game. Brady only had one poor decision on a short pass all year, and that was in the Miami Monday night game.

"The Patriots also ranked second in medium pass percentage and fourth in deep pass percentage. I haven't looked at the combined percentages for these metrics for the entire league, but I'd have to think that this probably makes them either No. 1 or a close No. 2.

"The disparity of short and vertical passes clearly illustrates the Patriots passing game philosophy. When the Pats pass short, they are going to be certain they don't make mistakes on it. They are more willing to make mistakes on vertical passes.

"What I mean by this is that the Patriots seem to have a risk/reward ratio in mind when they pass the ball. They won't take any chances on short passes because the risk far outweighs the reward. They are much more willing to take chances on deeper passes because the reward is higher. Again, they have a very clear idea of what their passing philosophy is. You'd be amazed how many teams don't have this philosophical clarity.

"The clarity of pass depth use provides the answer as to how to stop them, and it was Brady himself who pointed this out to John Madden and Al Michaels before the Miami Monday night game. Brady said he always struggles against Miami because it does two things. They play tight man coverage with their cornerbacks, and they keep their safeties deep. Or to put it another way, they do some of the same things to New England's offense that New England's defense does to other teams. Their deep safeties take away the vertical passes and their tight man coverage takes away the shorter passes. The Pats ended up having to target the Miami linebackers, as the Dolphins coverage scheme put the linebackers in man coverage situations, but it still slowed New England's offense down tremendously.

"The Patriots coaches get a lot of credit for their ingenious playcalling and scheme management, but on offense Tom Brady should get just as much credit. The synergy of Brady's skills and the Patriots skill maximization philosophy has simply made each of them better than they should be. It truly is the subtlety of genius."

The fantasy implications from this are quite clear, with one caveat. The Patriots have shown that they won't direct their offense through one receiver, which makes any of their fantasy receivers risks, but there may be one exception to this in 2005: Deion Branch. Branch had the best completion percentage of any receiver last year and had exceptional performance metric stats at every pass depth level (If only he could stay healthy), so he may allow the Patriots coaches to bend their egalitarian passing rules.

KC Joyner, The Football Scientist, uses unique matchup-analysis scouting systems to provide him with in-depth player vs. player performance information. He can be reached at kc@thefootballscientist.com.

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/3763778

Quote:

Originally Posted by article

One of the articles from Scientific Football 2005 that I have received the most feedback on is the Patriots offensive overview.

A good portion of the feedback has come from people who say the article explains why the Patriots receivers aren't good fantasy players, so I thought I would run the article here and expound a bit on it:

"One of the reasons the Patriots offense is so damn good is that they have a clear idea of what it is they are trying to do not only with each player, but also with each unit. As I've pointed out many times in this book, there are many teams who have schemes that they try to force onto players who simply don't have the proper skill set to run it. The Patriots don't have to do this on offense in large part because of Tom Brady.

"Everyone likes to talk about Brady's leadership, his grace under pressure or his 'big-game ability.' That's all fine and dandy, but you know that I don't deal in that kind of mumbo-jumbo when it comes to player analysis.

"There are four specific skills that Tom Brady has that separate him from the rest of the league. He has no fear in the pocket, he finds the open receiver, he's accurate with the pass and he doesn't make bad decisions. I can't tell you how few NFL quarterbacks have all four of these skills, and no NFL quarterback has all four in the abundance Tom Brady does. The benefits these traits offer are sometimes so subtle that they require additional emphasis.

"I've broken down nearly every New England game from the past two seasons, and I have yet to find a time when Brady felt the pass rush. What I mean by this is that Brady always maintains his downfield vision, even when the pocket is collapsing. He also has the same ability Joe Montana had in making the first pass rusher miss.

"He has an instinctive feel for where the pocket is. He can also adjust to the pocket's movement without having to take his eyes off of looking downfield, and he seems to almost always move with the pocket at just the right time. This is something so many quarterbacks are taught but so few can do well, and Brady is simply the best at it.

"Brady also finds the open receiver. That sounds simple enough, but Brady's pocket presence actually makes this trait even more valuable. Because Brady is so good at buying time in the pocket, and because he has such an intense focus on how the play is developing, he is able to look at third and fourth receivers more often than any other quarterback.

"One of the ingenious things the Patriots coaches do to take advantage of this is to allow all of their receivers to run routes at all depths. Take a look at the Pats receivers and look at their pass depth distribution.

"Every single one of their receivers was used frequently on every depth level. It isn't that their receivers are so great at running routes, although they aren't bad. It's simply that the Patriots realize Brady will find the third and fourth receivers, and they don't want to limit what those receivers can do. It's not only that Brady does a great job of seeing the field. It's also that the Pats coaches have found a way to maximize the value of that skill set.

"Even though his bad decision percentages were high, Brady doesn't typically make poor decisions. He made 12 poor decisions in 19 games, but three of them came in the Monday night game at Miami. Those three plays also accounted for 11 out of the 24 weighted poor-decision points Brady had all year, so if you subtract that one poor game, you have nine poor decisions and 12 poor-decision points in 18 games. Now that's damn good.

"New England also has a very clear idea of what role they want their passing game to serve in their overall offensive philosophy. When the Patriots pass, they want to do one of two things. They either want to use the passing game to augment their running game, or they want to get vertical. The best way to illustrate this is by their percentage of short, medium and deep passes.

"The Patriots had the lowest percentage of short passes in the entire league, (so much for the dink-n-dunk name calling) and there's a clear reason for this. Their short passing game is simply a tool to accomplish three things: 1) To keep defenses from putting eight defenders in the box; 2) To make sure the defense backs don't stay too far off the line to cheat for the deeper passes; and 3) As a checkoff in the event the deep pass isn't open. The Pats also run a very safe short passing game. Brady only had one poor decision on a short pass all year, and that was in the Miami Monday night game.

"The Patriots also ranked second in medium pass percentage and fourth in deep pass percentage. I haven't looked at the combined percentages for these metrics for the entire league, but I'd have to think that this probably makes them either No. 1 or a close No. 2.

"The disparity of short and vertical passes clearly illustrates the Patriots passing game philosophy. When the Pats pass short, they are going to be certain they don't make mistakes on it. They are more willing to make mistakes on vertical passes.

"What I mean by this is that the Patriots seem to have a risk/reward ratio in mind when they pass the ball. They won't take any chances on short passes because the risk far outweighs the reward. They are much more willing to take chances on deeper passes because the reward is higher. Again, they have a very clear idea of what their passing philosophy is. You'd be amazed how many teams don't have this philosophical clarity.

"The clarity of pass depth use provides the answer as to how to stop them, and it was Brady himself who pointed this out to John Madden and Al Michaels before the Miami Monday night game. Brady said he always struggles against Miami because it does two things. They play tight man coverage with their cornerbacks, and they keep their safeties deep. Or to put it another way, they do some of the same things to New England's offense that New England's defense does to other teams. Their deep safeties take away the vertical passes and their tight man coverage takes away the shorter passes. The Pats ended up having to target the Miami linebackers, as the Dolphins coverage scheme put the linebackers in man coverage situations, but it still slowed New England's offense down tremendously.

"The Patriots coaches get a lot of credit for their ingenious playcalling and scheme management, but on offense Tom Brady should get just as much credit. The synergy of Brady's skills and the Patriots skill maximization philosophy has simply made each of them better than they should be. It truly is the subtlety of genius."

The fantasy implications from this are quite clear, with one caveat. The Patriots have shown that they won't direct their offense through one receiver, which makes any of their fantasy receivers risks, but there may be one exception to this in 2005: Deion Branch. Branch had the best completion percentage of any receiver last year and had exceptional performance metric stats at every pass depth level (If only he could stay healthy), so he may allow the Patriots coaches to bend their egalitarian passing rules.

KC Joyner, The Football Scientist, uses unique matchup-analysis scouting systems to provide him with in-depth player vs. player performance information. He can be reached at kc@thefootballscientist.com.

And, they are even deeper, and stronger, on both sides of the ball this season.

nemsig6mq.jpg

They are stronger on both sides of the ball? Even after losing both coordinators? That is a big statement.

And Romeo Crennel had how many picks and fumble recoveries? :shock:

And Charlie Weis threw how many TD passes? :shock:

Thought so.

What about your all-pro middle linebacker? How many tackles did he have? How many big plays did he make?

They lost 2 coordinators, TEDDY FRICKIN BRUSCHI, David Patten

They added nobody that will fully replace Bruschis play, added no good corners (duane starks is OK).

Patriots are much weaker than last year. Not even close. Losing Bruschi, who was awesome last year, that cannot be underestimated as a big time loss.

EB, they will miss Weis, Crennell, and Bruschi, but you can't honestly think David Patten's departure will make the slightest difference.

Patten was simply a cog in the machine, kind of like Jeter.

Patten was a tuff little smurf! :)

Randall Gay, despite the NE hype machine, was abused like alittle beyatch last year. Starks used to be a good CB, but he's lost a few steps.

Not to mention McGinest and Harrison are all a year older now.

Losing Bruschi was A BIG TIME LOSS.

They are stronger on both sides of the ball? Even after losing both coordinators? That is a big statement.

Hopw many sacks, TD's etc did the coordinators score? Too much is being made out of the loss of these guys, The game is played onthe field and they have gotten strong with player personnel.

Weis wasn't as great a play caller as people think. It was the players that got it done, and now Brady is being given a lot more flexibility in on field play calling, and he is probably one of the best in the game at that type of offense.

The change inthe offense will be a positive, as more wide receivers, Dillon's second year and the offensive line gets another yer of experience under their belt...

Defensively they promoted from within, and the the head honcho still is the defensive guru, Belichick himself. Belichick is what made Parcells a winner.

Sorry, but the loss of those two guys will make the Ptas a BETTER team this year.

What about your all-pro middle linebacker? How many tackles did he have? How many big plays did he make?

You must know something we dont know. Where is Bruschi going. Plus they added Biesel and Brown, COlvin is 100% and ready to go, McGinnest keeps getting better, the two first round picks Wilfork and Warren are bigger, faster and have a year under their belts, I havent eventhrown Seymour into the mix yet, the rest of the linebacking corps is intact, in the secondary, Starks can easily revert back to his form as a Raven now that he's not stuck on a loser like the Cardinals, Gay and Samuel have a year under their belts and are only going to get bette, both are extremely quick and agressive corners, we have Guss Scott available this year, and the safeties of Harrison and Wilson, well, I dont have to say too much about them.

Defense weaker? Please you havent got a clue how good this defense will be.

I'm not so sure Starks will take a CB slot away from Poole.

My friend. Starks can be an all pro on the right team..this is the right team. Poole never impressed me. He gets beaten more often than he makes a good play.

Starks has not lost a step. He was stuck on a piss poor team and still led them in interceptions. He could be an allpro corner with this defensive unit.

Randall Gay, despite the NE hype machine, was abused like alittle beyatch last year. Starks used to be a good CB, but he's lost a few steps.

Starks can be an allpro on this defense. He was stuck in Arizona (I live there) and even there he led them in INTs...he will revert back to his play when he was with a good defensive team around him, the Ravens, and now the Pats.

Please. Starks allpro? Stop sniffing the rubber cement.

Dont compare the Ravens defense (when Starks was a raven) to the current Patriots defense.

You dont have a replacement for your best defensive player (Bruschi)

Whats next? Monty Beisel headed for the Hall of Fame

You must know something we dont know. Where is Bruschi going. Plus they added Biesel and Brown, COlvin is 100% and ready to go, McGinnest keeps getting better, the two first round picks Wilfork and Warren are bigger, faster and have a year under their belts, I havent eventhrown Seymour into the mix yet, the rest of the linebacking corps is intact, in the secondary, Starks can easily revert back to his form as a Raven now that he's not stuck on a loser like the Cardinals, Gay and Samuel have a year under their belts and are only going to get bette, both are extremely quick and agressive corners, we have Guss Scott available this year, and the safeties of Harrison and Wilson, well, I dont have to say too much about them.

Defense weaker? Please you havent got a clue how good this defense will be.

Holy sh*t, DW2 has been reincarnated as a Patriots fan! You sir, shall be known to me as Captain Homer from now on.

Where is Bruschi going? Are you aware that he had a stroke during the offseason? I find it highly difficult to believe that he will play this season.

McGinest keeps getting better? He is a 33-year old hybrid and he's getting better? Don't get me wrong, McGinest is still a very solid player, but he stopped "getting better" a long time ago. BTW, you didn't even spell your boy's name correctly.

Vince Wilfork is bigger and FASTER? :lol: I nominate that for post of the day.

Oh, and Richard Seymour is holding out too. As of right now, you have no need to "throw him into the mix".

Duane Starks is going to revert back to his Ravens form, just because he is no longer a Cardinal, and for no other reason? I think it's more likely that he reverts back to the injured list wherever he feels the most comfortable.

Ooooh, Gus Scott. I am ******* terrified. [-o<

My friend. Starks can be an all pro on the right team..this is the right team. Poole never impressed me. He gets beaten more often than he makes a good play.

For the love of PennyBoy's weak arm. :shock:

Two Pats fans debating the Pats CB's on a Jets message board.

NEM, Poole is a solid CB. Sure he got beat a few times last year, and I hope you are right about Starks.

Gotta see to believe. :wink:

Smizz, that's what I like about you.

Always playing the odds. :shock:

Kinda like Mrs. Smizzy not having sex for more than 10 seconds. :shock:

Yeah Tx has lost his touch. Looks like he was good in his contract year.

Now that he scored his big fat long term contract he is back to being himself.

Archived