Is Coles underpaid?

docdhc

Coles signed a big free agent contract when he signed with Washington, then when we traded to get him back we gave him more bonus money. Now we offered to guarantee him 11million dollars for the next 2 years, despite concussions and limited production last season. Does anyone know how much he made with the Washington deal, and with us the last few years? Is it in line with other #1receivers in the league? I rate him as a solid #1 but definitely not in the Moss, Owens, C. Johnson class. In fact he is probably not a top fifteen receiver anymore. What does JN think?

Coles signed a big free agent contract when he signed with Washington, then when we traded to get him back we gave him more bonus money. Now we offered to guarantee him 11million dollars for the next 2 years, despite concussions and limited production last season. Does anyone know how much he made with the Washington deal, and with us the last few years? Is it in line with other #1receivers in the league? I rate him as a solid #1 but definitely not in the Moss, Owens, C. Johnson class. In fact he is probably not a top fifteen receiver anymore. What does JN think?

2003: $13M signing bonus from Washington (more than Torry Holt got)

2005: $5M signing bonus from Jets

2006: $3M signing bonus from Jets

2003 - 2007 salary total = $9,175,000 (not including misc bonuses he may have rec'd)

TOTAL = over $30 million paid from 2003 - 2007

Plus another $11M has been offered by the Jets as guaranteed $. Is $41M over 7 years (starting back when the cap was much, much lower than today).

Underpaid?

Yeah, sure. He was underpaid like Martin was underpaid, like Pennington has been underpaid, and like Michael Strahan's ex-wife was underpaid.

Coles needs to be traded for the best interest of this team's direction. He should follow Jerricho and think about winning instead of money. He is set for life how more greedy can one person get. I'll be happy with living off 70,000 a year than be a greed no good bastard.

Trade Coles Now Im Done With Him Now!

To be fair i don't think he's complaining about not getting enough money but rather the length of his contract.

I havn't read everything regarding him so could be wrong here but that was my impression from the stuff i read.

Screw this a-hole. Everyone on this board would play WR for the Jets for FREE, Patriots fans included.

How friggin' lucky is this guy? The one thing he does well in this world pays MILLIONS of dollars -- and he happens to play the game NOW rather than 30+ yrs ago when it didn't pay so amazingly well. And with that, he acts so miserable like he's never caught a break in his life.

He should spend a week in a cancer hospital with some terminal patients as they suffer to take their last breaths of air on this good earth, then go back home to his gargantuan 25,000 square foot home, and realize what an ass he's been acting like.

YES

The Jets just gave a LG (who hasnt played a snap for NY) a deal that averages 8 mil a season.

Get back to us all after we see how the Steelers O-Line does without that 7 Time Pro Bowler leading the way for Parker and Davenport

Stop worrying about the Jets, and worry about the loss of Samuel, Stallworth, Colvin and Gay

2003: $13M signing bonus from Washington (more than Torry Holt got)

2005: $5M signing bonus from Jets

2006: $3M signing bonus from Jets

2003 - 2007 salary total = $9,175,000 (not including misc bonuses he may have rec'd)

TOTAL = over $30 million paid from 2003 - 2007

Plus another $11M has been offered by the Jets as guaranteed $. Is $41M over 7 years (starting back when the cap was much, much lower than today).

Underpaid?

Yeah, sure. He was underpaid like Martin was underpaid, like Pennington has been underpaid, and like Michael Strahan's ex-wife was underpaid.

Thanks for the breakdown, that was the info I was looking for. Wow, 41 million over 7years would be a good deal even with today's numbers. He got paid like an elite all pro receiver and he has never played like anything more than a solid #1 starter. Moss only got 27million for the next 3 and he is 5x the receiver LC is.

The fact is he is overpaid. Has anyone stopped to consider maybe the reason he is acting like this is not that he wants the $$$, but that he wants off the Jets? That's the best way to get off a team, you just act irrational and then when you get somewhere else you're a bit better.. consider Owens and Moss as examples.

Coles is a #2 WR who gets paid like a #1 WR.

Who only plays with a QB that throws softball short passes.

I don't even know if Coles has good hands because he plays with noodle arm. I know the rest of our WRs don't since they actually played with an NFL QB, or at least one that has the potential to be one. There is a possibility Coles drops everything from Clemens.

Coles is a #2 WR .

I have to disagree with you on this one, big time. Coles has been the heart of the Jets WR's for years now, the man has no fear, he can make the tough catch in traffic, take a beating, run good routes and knows how to get open. He's been great with CHAD as his Quarterback, put Coles with Manning, Favre, Brady, even a QB like Cutler and watch what he could do.

Hes always been a #1 WR playing with a #2 QB who could never get the ball to coles IN STRIDE

I have to agree with your point, he never has had a great QB to throw him the ball. I still don't think, however, he is the long range threat the elite receivers are, live Moss, Owens, Johnson, etc. He is more of a possession guy, even though he was supposed to have great speed coming out of college. He has never played like a speed burner in the pros.

The fact is he is overpaid. Has anyone stopped to consider maybe the reason he is acting like this is not that he wants the $$$, but that he wants off the Jets? That's the best way to get off a team, you just act irrational and then when you get somewhere else you're a bit better.. consider Owens and Moss as examples.

If that's true then he should f'ing retire. I wouldn't want my Jets to be this burden in his already-difficult life.

To be fair i don't think he's complaining about not getting enough money but rather the length of his contract.

I havn't read everything regarding him so could be wrong here but that was my impression from the stuff i read.

To be fair, we would see how much he's interested in money if the Jets offered him a six year extension at the same rate of pay he's getting now and let's say a 3mil signing bonus, 1.5 guaranteed. If they offered him anything like that, he would be complaining to the high heavens about not being respected and appreciated. Coles is a good player who gives a good effort on the field when he's working for the highlights. He's not a catch and run receiver unless there's no impedance to his gaining more yardage. He's not knocking the opposition on his deriere. He worked well with Chad, because Chad very rarely threw the ball more than twenty or thirty yards. That is why he said "If Chad's out, I'm out". Granted, that statement can be interpreted two different ways, i.e., A QB other than Chad could throw more to a different receiver or if Chad is out then he wants to be out as well. Bottom line is Coles is on the backside of his career and is looking for an upside contract extension and the Jets would be making a big mistake if they give in to his whines. Forget about Coles and get a great deal done for our Kerry Rhodes.:Typotux:

The guy has been paid like a #1 wr and continues to be... this whole situation is a joke and annoying..look at the bright side he cant hurt his toe any more while in these camps...you do realize you are somewhat damaged goods right LC?

i think he signed a contract and is paid what he agreed to for the length of time he agreed to.

Would he be trying to give money back to Jets if he has a horrible year? No. So when yo uplay good you still need to honor terms,, Cant have it both ways,,

If Players Union wants to support these antics, then lets put language in contract that says team has a right to take money away when you underpreform,,

Its hilarious what these turds try to get away with...

i think he signed a contract and is paid what he agreed to for the length of time he agreed to.

Would he be trying to give money back to Jets if he has a horrible year? No. So when yo uplay good you still need to honor terms,, Cant have it both ways,,

If Players Union wants to support these antics, then lets put language in contract that says team has a right to take money away when you underpreform,,

Its hilarious what these turds try to get away with...

Yep.

Yeah I agree. Coles and Mangini just don't like eachother. There's more to this than $.

Archived