MLB aide: Sox will get Burnett

TaborJet

from the Daily News

MLB aide: Sox

will get Burnett

Marlins righthander A.J. Burnett will be traded to the Red Sox within a week, an MLB official said yesterday. Boston plans to sign Burnett to an extension.

Red Sox special assistant Bill Lajoie watched Burnett's outing Thursday in Philadelphia, when he allowed six runs in five innings, including second-inning homers to Pat Burrell, Ryan Howard and Mike Lieberthal. Burnett is 5-6 with a 3.64 ERA in 18 starts this season.

"There is no truth at all to any deal we are making with the Marlins," Sox GM Theo Eptein said via an E-mail.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Burnett has nasty stuff, but he hasnt put it toegether yet. IF he can he'd be a great pitcher. But until that point you dont know exactly how good he will be from start to start. Just look at how philly rocked him in his last start and the start before that he struck-out 14 batters. I wouldnt trade Eric Duncan and Cano for him. To add another negative on the scrap pile, Burnett also has a long list of injurys, serious injurys too.

someone made a point in another thread, the Marlins are still in the playoff hunt, why get rid of another pitcher now?

Because they really AREN'T in the playoff hunt. You guys have been quick to count out the Mets, yet you don't factor in that the Marlins are THE SAME AMOUNT OF GAMES BACK of a playoff spot as the Mets. Therefore, why shouldn't the Marlins, who don't get very good revenue, trade away a potential free agent before the deadline?

Because they really AREN'T in the playoff hunt. You guys have been quick to count out the Mets, yet you don't factor in that the Marlins are THE SAME AMOUNT OF GAMES BACK of a playoff spot as the Mets. Therefore, why shouldn't the Marlins, who don't get very good revenue, trade away a potential free agent before the deadline?

I heard about Arroyo and prospects to the Marlins for Burnett.

If the Marlins know that Burnett will sign with another team in free agency and can pickup a decent pitcher in Arroyo + prospects, I would do it if I was the Marlins because Burnett wont be returning in 06'

I'll believe it when I see it.

Burnett has nasty stuff, but he hasnt put it toegether yet. IF he can he'd be a great pitcher. But until that point you dont know exactly how good he will be from start to start. Just look at how philly rocked him in his last start and the start before that he struck-out 14 batters. I wouldnt trade Eric Duncan and Cano for him. To add another negative on the scrap pile, Burnett also has a long list of injurys, serious injurys too.

Did you not just proclaim Burnett to have the "nastiest stuff in the majors" about a month ago? But now that he'll be a Red Sox, his stuff is nasty, but he sucks otherwise.

because when Beckett gets back they'll win more games, and because the Marlins are a better team than the Mets?

because when Beckett gets back they'll win more games, and because the Marlins are a better team than the Mets?

And when Steve Trachsel comes back the Mets WON'T improve? :lol:

Look, the Marlins have tons of talent, but you are what you are. Both the Mets and Marlins have played like .500 teams. Neither are generally considered to be in the playoff hunt. Rather, they both have work to do before they can get back in the thick of things. THEN they will be "back in the hunt".

Besides, the Mets took 3 of 4 from the Marlins IN FLORIDA and lead the season series overll. I don't think you can say the Marlins are definitely better.

Did you not just proclaim Burnett to have the "nastiest stuff in the majors" about a month ago? But now that he'll be a Red Sox, his stuff is nasty, but he sucks otherwise.

1. I dont think he will be a red sock

2. I did say he has maybe the nastiest stuff in the majors

3. Dig up that thread, I'm pretty sure I said he hadnt put it toegether yet. Nasty Stuff doesn't always equal success. Burnett also has major injury problems. I wouldnt trade Hughes or Duncan for him. But I would be happy if the Yankees signed him in free ageny.

1. I dont think he will be a red sock

2. I did say he has maybe the nastiest stuff in the majors

3. Dig up that thread, I'm pretty sure I said he hadnt put it toegether yet. Nasty Stuff doesn't always equal success. Burnett also has major injury problems. I wouldnt trade Hughes or Duncan for him. But I would be happy if the Yankees signed him in free ageny.

I know. I was just trying to get you and I to reach our one baseball-related argument a day quota.

Archived