GGM Mock Draft

gangreenman

My 1st ever...Figured I'd give this a try...

-I only analyzed the top 10 picks and the Jets picks, and I also gave my Jets rd 2 prediction.

------------------

1 - Miami Dolphins - QB - Matt Ryan

Analysis: With Jason Taylor still on the roster, and the teams switch to a 3/4 defense, Long may not be a great fit in Miami, Gholston would probably be the better choice for them if they go defense. My guess is Tuna goes with Matt Ryan to sure up the QB position for the future.

Other possibility: Vernon Gholston -DE/OLB (Ohio St.)

2- St. Louis Rams - DE - Chris Long

Analysis: The Rams have been very quiet this offseason, almost too quiet for a team with the 2nd overall pick in the draft. Picking Long here would bring in a great, physical pass rusher who they can build their defense around for years to come. Sedrick Ellis would also be a good fit at DT.

Other Possibility: Sedrick Ellis - DT

3 - Atlanta Falcons - OT - Jake Long (Michigan)

Analysis: As the overhaul continues in Atlanta, look for the Falcons to start building up this OLine, and Jake Long is a great fit for this team. They may also look at Ohio St. Vernon Gholston on defense, but with pass rusher John Abraham already in place, building that offensive line should be the Falcons top priority.

Other Possibility: Vernon Gholston -DE/OLB(Ohio St.)

4 - Oakland Raiders - DT - Sedrick Ellis

Analysis: With three capable RB's on the roster, and the best QB in the draft already off the board, the Raiders should look to the future and find a good defensive lineman that can help out and eventually replace veteran Warren Sapp. Another defensive player the Raiders will give a long look at is Vernon Gholston of Ohio State.

Other Possibility: Vernon Gholston - DE/OLB

5 - Kansas City Cheifs - DE - Vernon Gholston

Analysis: With the middle of the Dline addressed in last years draft, the Cheifs will look to improve their abbysmul pass rush with one of the most physically gifted defensive athletes to come out of the draft in a long time. Although adding a RB would not hurt, Gholston is just the right player to begin Herm's promised "youth movement" on defense.

Other Possibility: Darren Mcfadden - RB

6- *Dallas Cowboys*(from NYJ)-RB-Darren Mcfadden

Analysis: Even with Barber still on the roster, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and his obsession with Arkansas products, combined with the possibility of one of the best 1-2 RB punches in the league, will motiviate the Cowboys to give up their two late 1st rounders for the flashy Mcfadden.

7 - *New England Patriots**1forcheating(from SF) - DB - Leodis McKelvin

Analysis: After losing DB's Eugene Wilson, Assante Samuel, and Randall Gay in free agency, the Pats desperately need to focus on their secondary. McKelvin will be a good compliment to S Rodney Harrison and CB Ellis Hobbs.

Other Possibility: Aqib Talib - CB

8. Baltimore Ravens - OT - Ryan Clady

Analysis: The Ravens are in a tough spot with the 8th pick, as they are loaded at the positions that will be available (CB, DL), and need help where none is given (QB, WR). In the end, they will have to reach for Ryan Clady to play opposite Ogden and give the Ravens some much need OL depth.

9. Cincinatti Bengals - DT - Glenn Dorsey

Analysis: The Bengals couldn't imagine a better scenario thus far. After signing DE Antwan Odom, and failing to trade for either Shaun Rogers or Dewayne Robertson, Glenn Dorsey will be the perfect fit at #9.

10 - New Orleans Saints - WR - Malcom Kelly

Analysis: Kelly is a bit of a reach at this spot, but after adding to their defense by signing CB Randall Gay and trading for LB Jonathan Vilma, the Saints are in dire need of another big target, which is why they'll take the risk on him at 10.

11 - Buffalo Bills - CB - Aqib Talib

12- Denver Broncos - OT - Jeff Otah

13 - Carolina Panthers - DE - Derrick Harvey

14 - Chicago Bears - CB - Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie

15 - Detroit Lions - DE - Phillip Merling

16 - Arizona Cardinals - DE/OLB - Quintin Groves

17 - Minnisota Vikings - MLB - Keith Rivers

18 - Houston Texans - RB - Rashad Mendehall

19 - Philadelphia Eagles - WR - Desean Jackson

20 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WR - Limas Sweed

21 - Washington Redskins - DB - Kenny Phillips

22 - *New York Jets*(from Cowboys) - WR - James Hardy

Analysis: With the Brad Smith and JMac experiments both failing miserably last year, the Jets are once again in need of a good WR. While Hardy isn't exactly the "slot" type of WR, he's a good option for the Jets as they are going to need to eventually replace star Receiver Laverneus Coles.

23 - Pittsburgh Steelers -OG - Brandon Albert

24 - Tennessee Titans - DE - Calais Campbell

25 - Seattle Seahawks - DT - Kentwan Balmer

26 - Jacksonville Jaguars - DE - Lawrence Jackson

27 - San Diego Chargers - MLB - Beau Bell

28 - *New York Jets*(from Cowboys) - CB - Mike Jenkins

Analysis: After selecting Darelle Revis in the 1st round last year, and with stud safety Kerry Rhodes already on the team, Mike Jenkins makes perfect sense for the Jets here.

29 - San Fransisco 49ers - WR - Mario Manningham

30 - Green Bay Packers - RB - Jonathan Stewart

31 - New England Patriots********theycheated - Pick Forfeited

32 - New York Giants - OLB - Dan Connor

--------------

Jets Round 2 Prediction : OT Carl Nicks

Analysis: This pick would give the Jets a solid OT, meaning they can really mix up the right side of the line with the addition of Damien Woody and having Brandon Moore already there at RG.

Nice job, i might switch nicks with Cliff Arvil

I would too, but I don't think Avril makes it to the second round. Also the Jets really like Nicks, and Callahan worked with him in Nebraska, so I think if Nicks is around in the second they'll take him, unless somehow Hardy is there.

This would be a killer haul, no doubt. But I would not pass on Chris Williams once, let alone twice, if he is still on the board when the Jets pick. Then Dre Moore with the second round pick. It would mean passing on Hardy, a small cost considering the Jets would have shored up OL, DL and the CB opposite Revis.

Very nice job.

Moving up to #6 would cost Dallas two firsts and a 3rd.

Barber has been tendered the highest RFA amt (1st and a 3rd).

Would a trade for MBIII and a 1st not be equal in theory? I don't know what type of $ Barber is seeking, but THAT would be a move I'd like more if the goal is to upgrade the RB corps for 2008. The perfect back to split carries with. Helps everyone. Great at the goal-line & breaks tackles like a motherf***er. Plus, even though he's been in the league a few years, he doesn't have tons of miles on him (at all) b/c he was splitting carries with the other Jones.

Dallas gets their guy. They also get to keep the same # of picks. They unload a player who, talented as he is, doesn't make sense to keep financially if they're drafting McFadden & paying him $40-50M (Barber will command at least as much himself).

We get a needed influx of proven talent at RB. A guy who can get yards even when he gets hit. And we pick up an extra first round pick in the process.

The reality is barring an acute epidemic of brain damage in Dallas, they aren't trading two first round picks and a third round pick just to move up & draft a single college prospect (and then pay him a fortune), no matter how much Jerry Jones likes him.

No one does that to get a non-QB prospect. Except Terry Bradway.

Moving up to #6 would cost Dallas two firsts and a 3rd.

Barber has been tendered the highest RFA amt (1st and a 3rd).

Would a trade for MBIII and a 1st not be equal in theory? I don't know what type of $ Barber is seeking, but THAT would be a move I'd like more if the goal is to upgrade the RB corps for 2008. The perfect back to split carries with. Helps everyone. Great at the goal-line & breaks tackles like a motherf***er. Plus, even though he's been in the league a few years, he doesn't have tons of miles on him (at all) b/c he was splitting carries with the other Jones.

Dallas gets their guy. They also get to keep the same # of picks. They unload a player who, talented as he is, doesn't make sense to keep financially if they're drafting McFadden & paying him $40-50M (Barber will command at least as much himself).

We get a needed influx of proven talent at RB. A guy who can get yards even when he gets hit. And we pick up an extra first round pick in the process.

The reality is barring an acute epidemic of brain damage in Dallas, they aren't trading two first round picks and a third round pick just to move up & draft a single college prospect (and then pay him a fortune), no matter how much Jerry Jones likes him.

No one does that to get a non-QB prospect. Except Terry Bradway.

Jerry Jones does love Arkansas players, and the thunder and lighting combination of McFadden and Barber might be to tempting for a guy like him. I would love this move though, Barber is an absolute beast gaining yards after contact.

Jerry Jones does love Arkansas players, and the thunder and lighting combination of McFadden and Barber might be to tempting for a guy like him. I would love this move though, Barber is an absolute beast gaining yards after contact.

I don't think they have the room to give McFadden a $45M contract and at least that much for MBIII when only 1 can be on the field at a time.

He'd have to choose.

But I think that's a hell of a lot more realistic than Dallas trading two firsts & a third away, AND sucking up the cap space that could be used to sign yet another GOOD player, no matter how enamored he is with McFadden.

Fits well also, since Barber's value is a 1st and a 3rd.

I don't think they have the room to give McFadden a $45M contract and at least that much for MBIII when only 1 can be on the field at a time.

He'd have to choose.

But I think that's a hell of a lot more realistic than Dallas trading two firsts & a third away, AND sucking up the cap space that could be used to sign yet another GOOD player, no matter how enamored he is with McFadden.

Fits well also, since Barber's value is a 1st and a 3rd.

I think they would be crazy to give up Barber, but I would pull the trigger in a second on that deal if I was the Jets front office.

I think they would be crazy to give up Barber, but I would pull the trigger in a second on that deal if I was the Jets front office.

Forget it now. We just signed Chatman. Don't expect us to look at another RB this year.

I don't think much of Jones, but a Jones-Leon-Chatman trio should be more than adequate. And behind a solid OL, should be above average even without any big name superstars.

Forget it now. We just signed Chatman. Don't expect us to look at another RB this year.

I don't think much of Jones, but a Jones-Leon-Chatman trio should be more than adequate. And behind a solid OL, should be above average even without any big name superstars.

Glad Chatman signed, I liked him and SD before he ballooned up and ate himself out of the league. Apparently he follows a strict diet now and should provide some good depth for us. Unfortanetly You know this isn't going to stop the ridiculous posts by people who think McFadden should already be enshrined in Canton.

Glad Chatman signed, I liked him and SD before he ballooned up and ate himself out of the league. Apparently he follows a strict diet now and should provide some good depth for us. Unfortanetly You know this isn't going to stop the ridiculous posts by people who think McFadden should already be enshrined in Canton.

It won't stop until he goes 2 straight years of non-superstar play. And even then there will be blame going around as to why he isn't.

In all seriousness, I don't think the guy's untalented or will necessarily be a bust. I just hate burning such a high pick on a RB.

As great of a talent as Adrian Peterson is, it remains to be seen whether the team as a whole would have been better off if they'd drafted Brady Quinn instead. I'm not saying it's necessarily so, but they went 8-8 with a devastating 1-2 punch at RB, a powerhouse OL (that even made Artose Pinner look like a stud), and as tough of a run defense as there is in the league.

Last time someone burned such a high pick on a rookie RB and won a SB with him was with Jamal Lewis. And I think the defense might have had something to do with the success of that Ravens team.

Before that?

I honestly can't remember.

-I only analyzed the top 10 picks and the Jets picks, and I also gave my Jets rd 2 prediction.

------------------

Analysis: With Jason Taylor still on the roster, and the teams switch to a 3/4 defense, Long may not be a great fit in Miami, Gholston would probably be the better choice for them if they go defense. My guess is Tuna goes with Matt Ryan to sure up the QB position for the future.

Analysis: The Rams have been very quiet this offseason, almost too quiet for a team with the 2nd overall pick in the draft. Picking Long here would bring in a great, physical pass rusher who they can build their defense around for years to come. Sedrick Ellis would also be a good fit at DT.

Analysis: As the overhaul continues in Atlanta, look for the Falcons to start building up this OLine, and Jake Long is a great fit for this team. They may also look at Ohio St. Vernon Gholston on defense, but with pass rusher John Abraham already in place, building that offensive line should be the Falcons top priority.

Analysis: With three capable RB's on the roster, and the best QB in the draft already off the board, the Raiders should look to the future and find a good defensive lineman that can help out and eventually replace veteran Warren Sapp. Another defensive player the Raiders will give a long look at is Vernon Gholston of Ohio State.

Analysis: With the middle of the Dline addressed in last years draft, the Cheifs will look to improve their abbysmul pass rush with one of the most physically gifted defensive athletes to come out of the draft in a long time. Although adding a RB would not hurt, Gholston is just the right player to begin Herm's promised "youth movement" on defense.

Analysis: Even with Barber still on the roster, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and his obsession with Arkansas products, combined with the possibility of one of the best 1-2 RB punches in the league, will motiviate the Cowboys to give up their two late 1st rounders for the flashy Mcfadden.

Analysis: After losing DB's Eugene Wilson, Assante Samuel, and Randall Gay in free agency, the Pats desperately need to focus on their secondary. McKelvin will be a good compliment to S Rodney Harrison and CB Ellis Hobbs.

Analysis: The Ravens are in a tough spot with the 8th pick, as they are loaded at the positions that will be available (CB, DL), and need help where none is given (QB, WR). In the end, they will have to reach for Ryan Clady to play opposite Ogden and give the Ravens some much need OL depth.

Analysis: The Bengals couldn't imagine a better scenario thus far. After signing DE Antwan Odom, and failing to trade for either Shaun Rogers or Dewayne Robertson, Glenn Dorsey will be the perfect fit at #9.

Analysis: Kelly is a bit of a reach at this spot, but after adding to their defense by signing CB Randall Gay and trading for LB Jonathan Vilma, the Saints are in dire need of another big target, which is why they'll take the risk on him at 10.

Analysis: With the Brad Smith and JMac experiments both failing miserably last year, the Jets are once again in need of a good WR. While Hardy isn't exactly the "slot" type of WR, he's a good option for the Jets as they are going to need to eventually replace star Receiver Laverneus Coles.

Analysis: After selecting Darelle Revis in the 1st round last year, and with stud safety Kerry Rhodes already on the team, Mike Jenkins makes perfect sense for the Jets here.

--------------

Analysis: This pick would give the Jets a solid OT, meaning they can really mix up the right side of the line with the addition of Damien Woody and having Brandon Moore already there at RG.

Very good job GGM . I like alot of these players/ teams you have matched. The only player I see glaringly missing from these SEC tainted eyes is Vandy's OT Chris Williams. He's got great power and footwork and I can see him easily going ahead of Pittsburghs Jeff Otah who looked slow and lumbering in the combine drills.

------------------

--------------

Very good job GGM . I like alot of these players/ teams you have matched. The only player I see glaringly missing from these SEC tainted eyes is Vandy's OT Chris Williams. He's got great power and footwork and I can see him easily going ahead of Pittsburghs Jeff Otah who looked slow and lumbering in the combine drills.

LOL, you really think we won't take McFadden simply because we have Chatman. IMO he may not even start the season, never really rated him.

LOL, you really think we won't take McFadden simply because we have Chatman. IMO he may not even start the season, never really rated him.

LOL me all you want. Indirectly, yes. It's a sense that they don't see RB as a major need; that rather, they only needed a certain type of RB for certain situations that require more power than speed/finesse. Certainly not enough to take one with the #6 pick. If they felt it was such a need/desire to grab him, they wouldn't leave it to chance with 5 teams picking ahead of them.

Chatman also started the last half of the season for Miami & from his SD days, Schottenheimer has rated him even if you haven't.

Even if you think there's a good chance he won't make the opening day roster, I'm sure the FO & CS that just acquired him feel differently. If the draft was before training camp (or even mini camp), then the possibility that he's cut & they draft a RB really high would go up. But the draft is April. Between now & then, no further team evaluation of Chatman will occur that didn't prior to signing him.

You'd think McFadden is the only RB to enter the draft in 10 years & RB's who can get you to a superbowl are so hard to come by.

LOL me all you want. Indirectly, yes. It's a sense that they don't see RB as a major need; that rather, they only needed a certain type of RB for certain situations that require more power than speed/finesse. Certainly not enough to take one with the #6 pick. If they felt it was such a need/desire to grab him, they wouldn't leave it to chance with 5 teams picking ahead of them.

Chatman also started the last half of the season for Miami & from his SD days, Schottenheimer has rated him even if you haven't.

Even if you think there's a good chance he won't make the opening day roster, I'm sure the FO & CS that just acquired him feel differently. If the draft was before training camp (or even mini camp), then the possibility that he's cut & they draft a RB really high would go up. But the draft is April. Between now & then, no further team evaluation of Chatman will occur that didn't prior to signing him.

You'd think McFadden is the only RB to enter the draft in 10 years & RB's who can get you to a superbowl are so hard to come by.

Archived