Could the Jets have caught up to the Pats?

villain_the_foe

With the new additions to the Jets and the players lost by the Pats, do you think that the Jets can honestly take the division away from them this year? And if so, do you think that we could have a legit superbowl run this year?

Remember, not only did the Pats lose key players....but they also got their cameras taken away too! lmao.

With the new additions to the Jets and the players lost by the Pats, do you think that the Jets can honestly take the division away from them this year? And if so, do you think that we could have a legit superbowl run this year?

Remember, not only did the Pats lose key players....but they also got their cameras taken away too! lmao.

I doubt, off hand , that they can overcome them but you never know. A game here, a game there. Anythings possible. I think we have closed the gap however and can contend for the playoffs again.

Not so much because I think the Jets have improved so much, but more so because I think the Pats will falter. They are coming off what is likely the most emotionally draining season in the history of football. Although you can't really quantify the effect it will have, you can't possibly deny the effect is there and pretty prominent. Add to that the fact they lost a top tier CB and their LB corp is deteriorating rapidly and you have to believe there's a decline.

I envision the Pats as an 11-5/12-4 team right now if they play to their potential. Whether or not we are at that level depends significantly on Clemens' advancement.

I'm saying no, assuming there is no real backlash from this Walsh thing. I mean if this guy really does have a tape and they lose some more draft picks or BB get suspended or there is some real drama, concern and distraction going on in the organization. We could catch up to the pats because they under perform.There is just no way I can say a 4-12 team has caught up to a 16-0 team unless that 4-12 team went out and signed Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders.

It is not inconceivable. The Pats will lose a few maybe more because of their player losses and an additional year added on to the age of some of their vets. The Jets have strengthened several weal areas with potential pro bowlers and can reasonably expect QB improvement either from Clemens with more experience or Pennington with an injury free season for his surgically repaired wing so that a winning season is expected.

It takes more than a couple free agent signings to make up the difference between 4-12 and 16-0.

16-0 is a very questionable record.

It could easily have been 12-4 if the field had been leveled. When they received no tapes of the final walk through, what actually happened to them in the SB? If no cheating occurs, the Pats are an excellent team, not an all time great.

It could easily have been 12-4 if the field had been leveled. When they received no tapes of the final walk through, what actually happened to them in the SB? If no cheating occurs, the Pats are an excellent team, not an all time great.

are you for real??? sometimes I think you are a highly intelligent poster, and sometimes I think you just some goombah Jets fan :P

How was the field not level? Where is evidence of walk-through tapes? Where was the "cheating" last season? Oh, and lets not forget that every team tapes - most of 'em do it from the league sactioned areas - not the sidelines. Don't let that get in the way of a good story though...

Are the Jets better? On paper - hell yah. The QB may actually have time to read the defense better. There actually may be some holes for the RB to run through. Are the Pats worse? Hell yah. They have lost two players of consequence: Samuel and Colvin - with Samuel being the biggest loss. It's not like good CB's grow on trees these days.

are you for real??? sometimes I think you are a highly intelligent poster, and sometimes I think you just some goombah Jets fan :P

How was the field not level? Where is evidence of walk-through tapes? Where was the "cheating" last season? Oh, and lets not forget that every team tapes - most of 'em do it from the league sactioned areas - not the sidelines. Don't let that get in the way of a good story though...

Are the Jets better? On paper - hell yah. The QB may actually have time to read the defense better. There actually may be some holes for the RB to run through. Are the Pats worse? Hell yah. They have lost two players of consequence: Samuel and Colvin - with Samuel being the biggest loss. It's not like good CB's grow on trees these days.

Hi Garb,

The Jets have not played a single game. I have no idea if the gap between the two teams is becoming smaller of if we have become the AFCE version of the Redskins. As a fan, I certainly have more hope because I see more talent on paper, but on paper Buster Douglas would have lost in the first round against Tyson.

I think that the Pats are one of top 3 teams in the NFL, however I also believed that they have had a slight edge because of their ability to make the most out of technology and may have strayed outside the lines. There is no way that Tangini blows the whisle if there was nothing to it. (I am not a big fan of Tangini as you should know by now)

You and I don't see eye to eye, mostly because we are on opposite sides, but you have to agree that if the tables were turned, you might give a little extra weight to spygate.

I would have to say no, the Jets may give the Pats fits this year but I think NE will still prevail for the East title. If we didnt have such a big question mark at the QB position I would feel better about the end result of this year, but I think Clemens (or Penny) will be the weak link this year. I honestly believe Clemens will start and continue to improve throughout the year, but I think 09 is where the East is up for grabs.

Superbowl? Uh, lets win the East first and go from there.

Spygate surfaced the first week of last season so I don't see how this would have any bearing on their 16-0 season (unless the the Jets would have beaten them opening day).

At that point they would have been the last team in the league that could have gotten away with any illegal activity the rest of the season. Having said that, I believe you need the luck along with the obvious talent to go 16-0. Remember "On any given Sunday".

Averaging it out the Pats are probably a 13-3 team where the Jets may be 9-7, still not close.

Regardless of last season I would take the Pats 3 superbowls championships and put them in the * bin with Bonds 762 homers and Clemens 7 Cy Youngs.

Someone explain these "losses" that the Patriots have suffered? A CB is the only major loss we've had. There wasn't a single game we won because of our defense. Our offense is still intact and actually improved once we get Morris back in the backfield to share some carries with Maroney. The Jets have had some nice additions this offseason but they're still going to be hard pressed to even stay in the Patriots' rearview mirror.

Someone explain these "losses" that the Patriots have suffered? A CB is the only major loss we've had. There wasn't a single game we won because of our defense. Our offense is still intact and actually improved once we get Morris back in the backfield to share some carries with Maroney. The Jets have had some nice additions this offseason but they're still going to be hard pressed to even stay in the Patriots' rearview mirror.

defence wins championships!! Remember that!

and we still have chad pennington:D

If Tom Brady gets hurt in one of the preseason games and is out for the year, then we will have caught up with the Pats.

****, I hope that if he does get hurt that its in the preseason and it isnt us dishing the hurt. The last time we put a New England QB out it was Drew Bledsoe....we got Tom Brady as his F'ing replacement.

All we need is another 6th round QB to step on the field and say "Hey, Ima throw touchdowns so I can have a model girlfriend"...lol.

The Jets are a 8 - 8, 9 - 7 team this season. Thats it.

11 - 5 and the AFCE is a crak pipe dream.

Taking over the AFCE without some off-field intervention/distraction taking NE down is an unrealistic expectation.

I don't consider 11 wins to be that much of a crack-pipe dream, though. The positions we made changes at were SO awful, that even mediocre talents there would be gargantuan team upgrades.

LG from Adrien Clarke to ANYONE is a major upgrade. We replaced him with Alan Faneca.

RT Woody would have to sit Indian-style on the turf after the ball was snapped to not be an upgrade over Clement.

Right there - 40% of our OL upgraded tremendously - I'd mark us up for a minimum of 2-3 more wins right there if we did nothing else. We lost enough close games b/c there was either no time for a QB to throw, nowhere for Jones to run, or both.

On the other side of the ball, Jenkins is such an enormous upgrade over DRob it's silly to even discuss. Forget about the "adapting to the 3-4" stupidity. It's only trouble for someone whose job responsibilities change so drastically that it's akin to playing a new position (like a DE moving to OLB). I honestly don't know enough about Pace (other than both Mangini & Parcells fighting over him money-wise) to say how good or how mediocre he will be in his second season in the 3-4. He has to be a noticeable improvement over Hobson, though.

Getting DRob, Vilma, and Hobson out of the opening-day starting 3-4 defense is an upgrade in itself. Replacing those three with Jenkins, Harris, and Pace starting in week 1 is an enormous improvement. Throw in a year's starting experience from Revis, and the better play we should see from both DE's now that a true NT is between them. Only total question-mark is the CB opposite Revis, but it's clear that the FO is intent on doing something about it & not staying pat at the position.

The rest, to me, is up to the QB. If Clemens is so bad this summer that he can't beat out Pennington, then we've got problems there. Chad is a combination of mediocrity & unreliability. Clemens is the unknown. He looked mostly crappy last year, but few are great in their first 7 career starts & most aren't even good. On a team that had already mailed it in at 1-7 by the time the job was given to him for good. Unknowns can be suddenly very good (Garrard, Warner, Romo, Garcia, Anderson...even NE's own Brady). It's certainly unrealistic to expect those QBs' type of production from Clemens. But then it was equally unrealistic to expect the same from those QB's at one time.

11 wins isn't SO amazing that it's a pipe dream.

The Jets are a 8 - 8, 9 - 7 team this season. Thats it.

11 - 5 and the AFCE is a crak pipe dream.

The same roster as last year went 10-6 in 2006 against a weaker schedule. Now the team is drastically upgraded facing a weaker schedule again. 11-5 is no pipe dream. What's a more interesting statistic is the one that shows the success, or lack there of, of the previous season's superbowl LOSER!!!!

The same roster as last year went 10-6 in 2006 against a weaker schedule. Now the team is drastically upgraded facing a weaker schedule again. 11-5 is no pipe dream. What's a more interesting statistic is the one that shows the success, or lack there of, of the previous season's superbowl LOSER!!!!

11 wins is only possible if KC is QB and he plays like a real QB, if Penne

is QB 6-7 wins is tops!!!!

:eek:

Were you sleeping last year? How about week 1?

It takes more than a couple free agent signings to make up the difference between 4-12 and 16-0.

Yes, it would have to be combined with something spiritually devastating happening to the Patriots. Like, for instance, losing to a 10-6 wildcard team in the Super Bowl after going 18-0.

Our Jets will be motivated and I doubt the Patriots will steamroll over us. On equal footing, we will certainly have a true shot.

we need to sure up our secondary before we come close to the Pats

I don't know why people are so obsessed with the secondary. Secondary is by far the best part of our defense, probably the entire team for that matter. Rhodes, Revis, Elam. Barrett is average but the Jets can easily get an upgrade in FA or the draft.

Compare the secondary to our front 7, which was absolutely horrific last two years and still has holes and it's easy to see which is still the bigger need. QB and O-line is also a need.

The Jets have 4 west coast road games this season. Winning out there is difficult in itself and 2 games are vs 2007 playoff teams. Then, Tenn at home. And, the AFCE to contend with. Miami wont have another season like last, so take away at least 1 win from last season.

Pennie and Clemenzo are just backups. Nothing special.

Archived