Yankees And Devil Rays Fight

Maxman

Is the game on YES? Mike and the Mad Dog said there is a fight. Yankee pitcher hit a Devil Ray in the bottom of the 1st. the Yankee pitcher got ejected, Girardi argued.

2nd inning -- Shelly Duncan got thrown out at 2b. Slid into 2b hard -- cleats up. Johnny Ghomes comes running over from RF and he and Duncan went at it and both benches cleared. ARod and Jeter were not on the trip.

WFAN says Duncan was out of line for sliding in like that.

The play was not close. Duncan was thrown out immediately (before the fight). He says the Yankees were mad that the pitcher got thrown out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the game on YES? Mike and the Mad Dog said there is a fight. Yankee pitcher hit a Devil Ray in the bottom of the 1st. the Yankee pitcher got ejected, Girardi argued.

2nd inning -- Shelly Duncan got thrown out at 2b. Slid into 2b hard -- cleats up. Johnny Ghomes comes running over from RF and he and Duncan went at it and both benches cleared. ARod and Jeter were not on the trip.

WFAN says Duncan was out of line for sliding in like that.

The play was not close. Duncan was thrown out immediately (before the fight). He says the Yankees were mad that the pitcher got thrown out.

Duncan deliberately tries to injure the second basemen because they were mad that the Ump threw out the pitcher?? Was the umpire straddling the bag at the time??

Duncan deliberately tries to injure the second basemen because they were mad that the Ump threw out the pitcher?? Was the umpire straddling the bag at the time??

Cervelli got ran over the other day, and Yankee fans were up in arms.

Plunking one guy is acceptible, trying to spike someone in the throat is overkill.

I guess Girardi is out to prove that he's not Joe Torre. The problem with that is he has alot more to lose than other managers.

This is the manager of the dDRAYs fault, totally uncalled for running over catchers ins pring training. At the end of the day nobody cares if you win or lose a ST game so stop trying to kill eachother for a precious run.

The Drays manager didnt tone his team down after crawford did it earlier in the week, he encouraged it. Hence, you get this.

And i dont care what that fat, disgruntled old man Don Zimmer has to say about it. Its wrong.

Some of these guys are trying to win jobs, and they are trying to change the whole ideology in Tampa. I have no problem running over catchers in spring training.

Duncan said a few days ago that the Yanks would remember this and I guess he came through, in a way that screams Bush League and lack of class.

This is the manager of the dDRAYs fault, totally uncalled for running over catchers ins pring training. At the end of the day nobody cares if you win or lose a ST game so stop trying to kill eachother for a precious run.

The Drays manager didnt tone his team down after crawford did it earlier in the week, he encouraged it. Hence, you get this.

And i dont care what that fat, disgruntled old man Don Zimmer has to say about it. Its wrong.

He may be trying to set a tone for his team.

When your ass is on the line for how your team plays, and whether it plays hard and when, it certainly makes a difference.

Remember when Jet fans were gaga over Henderson's "scrimmage" toughness with teh Giants a few year's ago.

He may be trying to set a tone for his team.

When your ass is on the line for how your team plays, and whether it plays hard and when, it certainly makes a difference.

Remember when Jet fans were gaga over Henderson's "scrimmage" toughness with teh Giants a few year's ago.

Fine, he set the "tone" (the most overrated term in a sport liek baseball) and now his teammate took a fastball to the stomach for it and his 2nd basemen took a cleat.

Fine, he set the "tone" (the most overrated term in a sport liek baseball) and now his teammate took a fastball to the stomach for it and his 2nd basemen took a cleat.

That comes with the territory.

If you think "tone" is overrated, I would guess that you think a Manager setting tempo and personality for his team is non-existent, eh?

That comes with the territory.

If you think "tone" is overrated, I would guess that you think a Manager setting tempo and personality for his team is non-existent, eh?

In baseball your either good enough or your not, setting a "tone" is not going to help you all that much. Its another overrated cliche like "chemistry" or something.

Im all for playing hard, run over catchers all you want in the regular season. But in ST it is just not neccessary. Again, i see players give themselves up at the plate in regular season games.

In baseball your either good enough or your not, setting a "tone" is not going to help you all that much. Its another overrated cliche like "chemistry" or something.

Im all for playing hard, run over catchers all you want in the regular season. But in ST it is just not neccessary. Again, i see players give themselves up at the plate in regular season games.

I would be interested in hearing your take on what Joe Girardi brings to teh Yankees, that Joe Torre doesn't.

Are you a telling me that a manager's personality does not become an extension of his team?

I would be interested in hearing your take on what Joe Girardi brings to teh Yankees, that Joe Torre doesn't.

Are you a telling me that a manager's personality does not become an extension of his team?

The 1996-2001 Yankees were a disicplined, fierce hardnosed team. The Yankees from the last few years were undisciplined (in some cases) passive and lacked fire. Did Joe Torre's personality change? I repeat, its overrated nonense.

All we need Joe Girardi to do is handle his players well so they respect him and play hard for him. And we need Girardi to be a good in game manager. Thats all I am hoping for, then Ill let the player's talents do the rest. If we need to rely on some "tone" we are int rouble. Any baseball team is.

ESPN.com news services

Updated: March 12, 2008, 2:47 PM ET

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays brawled in the second inning of a spring training game Wednesday, an inning after Yankees pitcher Heath Phillips was ejected after hitting Rays prospect Evan Longoria with a pitch.

The escalation of bad blood between division rivals stemmed from a home-plate collision in a spring training game four days ago that injured a Yankees catching prospect and irked Yankees manager Joe Girardi.

In the second inning on Wednesday, Yankees first baseman Shelley Duncan slid hard, spikes high, into Rays second baseman Akinori Iwamura. Duncan was subsequently tackled by Rays right fielder Jonny Gomes, clearing the benches.

No punches appeared to have been thrown as order was restored.

Duncan, Gomes, hitting coach Kevin Long and Yankees third base coach Bobby Meacham were ejected.

On Sunday, Duncan had dropped a hint that the Yankees might match the Rays' intensity on the basepaths.

"What it does is it opens another chapter of intensity in the spring training ballgames," Duncan said, referring to the home-plate collision. "They showed what is acceptable to them and how they're going to play the game, so we're going to go out there to match their intensity -- or even exceed it."

"There's going to be no malicious evil intent in terms of carryover, but it just adds a different type of fire to your gut when you play that team because you understand how they're playing the game and what their mind-set is," Duncan said Sunday.

But Duncan's slide was the second of two plays suggesting the Yankees were more than a little upset at the Rays.

In the first inning. Yankees pitcher Heath Phillips hit Rays third baseman Longoria on his midsection. Home plate umpire Chad Fairchild ejected Phillips.

The Rays had already scored two runs and three hits in the inning.

The bad blood stemmed from a ninth-inning play at home plate four days ago. In that incident, the Rays' Elliot Johnson barreled into Yankees catching prospect Francisco Cervelli at home plate. Cervelli broke his wrist in the collision and Girardi complained about the play afterwards, saying it was unnecesary in a spring training game.

But Girardi also said he didn't want the Yankees retaliating against the Rays in future games.

The umpiring crew which met with Girardi and Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon before the game and issued warnings to both dugouts after Longoria was hit and Phillips was ejected.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

The 1996-2001 Yankees were a fierce hardnosed team, the Yankees from the last few years were passive and laid back. Did Joe Torre's personality change? I repeat, its overrated nonense.

All we need Joe Girardi to do is handle his players well so they respect him and I need I want Girardi to be a good in game manager. Thats all I am hoping for, then Ill let the player's talents do the rest. If we need to rely on some "tone" we are int rouble. Any baseball team is.

I will respectfully disagree, and simply leave it at that

Please. If I'm a manager, I want all my players busting their ass at every opportunity, and that includes spring training. There are guys out there who are trying to make the team, and if they see an opportunity to get a run, they will and should take it. even if it means railroading a catcher. If the guy is blocking the plate, I'm going to level him. Any manager should want a guy who's going to do that for his team.

Please. If I'm a manager, I want all my players busting their ass at every opportunity, and that includes spring training. There are guys out there who are trying to make the team, and if they see an opportunity to get a run, they will and should take it. even if it means railroading a catcher. If the guy is blocking the plate, I'm going to level him. Any manager should want a guy who's going to do that for his team.

Obviously this is a subjective matter and we'll agree to disagree. But let me tell you a player is going to make a team because of his TALENT, not because he ran over a catcher in ST. You think a manager is going to say "Hey, this kid ha a lot of talent, but im cutting him because he didnt railroad that catcher in that pointless sprint training game." I think not.

There is a difference between playing hard and playing stupid. You should play hard in ST. But you shouldnt play stupid. Running over a catcher in a meaningless game is incredibly dumb.

But again, Its the manager's fault. Not the player.

JMHO

Oh a **** the D-rays, **** having class and **** being a little passive let other teams throw at our players without doing anything in return little bitch team. I'm glad to see the Yankees finally with a pair of balls. I hope Duncan cleated the second baseman right in his shin and he is forced to sit out for 2 months.

Obviously this is a subjective matter and we'll agree to disagree. But let me tell you a player is going to make a team because of his TALENT, not because he ran over a catcher in ST. You think a manager is going to say "Hey, this kid ha a lot of talent, but im cutting him because he didnt railroad that catcher in that pointless sprint training game." I think not.

There is a difference between playing hard and playing stupid. You should play hard in ST. But you shouldnt play stupid. Running over a catcher in a meaningless game is incredibly dumb.

But again, Its the manager's fault. Not the player.

JMHO

Don't tell Kirk Gibson that you shouldn't always play hard. And it rubbed off on his teammates. Same way a Manager can instill an attitude.

If a player is going to make a team its going to be because of his TALENT, not because he ran over a catcher in ST. You think a manager is going to say "Hey, this kid ha a lot of talent, but im cutting him because he didnt railroad that catcher in that pointless sprint training game." Think again.

Thanks

If it means going all f'ing out to get my team a run, then by all means call me stupid. You wouldn't s*** on a guy who was going all out in NFL preseason to make the team by hitting as hard as he can, just like you wouldn't s*** on a guy who was going all out in spring training to make the team. Of course a manager isn't going to put a guy on a team soley for hitting a catcher, but that manager knows he's got a guy who's going to do whatever it takes to help his team win.

Ask any coach. They'd take guys like that who bust their ass and put the team first over guy's who won't do any than is basically required of them any day of the week.

Don't tell Kirk Gibson that you shouldn't always play hard. And it rubbed off on his teammates. Same way a Manager can instill an attitude.

For some reason this is not penetrating with you, where are you getting this that I dont think players should play hard? You should play hard, but running over a catcher in a meangingless spring training game is incredibly dumb and uncalled for.

You keep harping on this "attitude" and "tone" stuff. In baseball it is a silly cliche more than anything.

If it means going all f'ing out to get my team a run, then by all means call me stupid. You wouldn't s*** on a guy who was going all out in NFL preseason to make the team by hitting as hard as he can, just like you wouldn't s*** on a guy who was going all out in spring training to make the team. Of course a manager isn't going to put a guy on a team soley for hitting a catcher, but that manager knows he's got a guy who's going to do whatever it takes to help his team win.

Ask any coach. They'd take guys like that who bust their ass and put the team first over guy's who won't do any than is basically required of them any day of the week.

Tampa bay was winning the game 4-1, it was late in the game too. There is a difference between playing hard and playing stupid. There was no reason for this guy to risk injury to himself and the other guy for a meaningless game that is almost over. There is no reason to risk a person's career in the beginning of march. Yeah, you hustle and yeah you play hard, but you don't crash into catcher, you don't dive into stands to make a catch. It just isn't a smart thing to do when the games don't even count.

Are you really going to compare baseball to football? In football if you're not going to knock somebodies tail off somebody will knock your's off. Nobody was going to do anything to that baserunner.

Yea go ask Joe Girardi.

Are you really going to compare baseball to football? In football if you're not going to knock somebodies tail off somebody will knock your's off. Nobody was going to do anything to that baserunner.

Yea go ask Joe Girardi.

I have no problem with Girardi defending his guys. It's his job to do so. But do you believe for a second he would not have felt differently if it was his guy barreling into the catcher?

Im sure he would have reprimanded the player, yes.

You can't be "sure", you can only guess. The same as any of us.

I guess you would have had a problem with what Pete Rose did to Ray Fosse in an "exhibition" game.

I don't.

You either play the game. or you don't. There is no middle ground.

Oh a **** the D-rays, **** having class and **** being a little passive let other teams throw at our players without doing anything in return little bitch team. I'm glad to see the Yankees finally with a pair of balls. I hope Duncan cleated the second baseman right in his shin and he is forced to sit out for 2 months.

Dude..that's pretty messed up.

Archived