MEADOWLANDS STADIUM PROJECT: The Latest News

BaumerJet

Mark Lamping to lead Jets-Giants arena project

March 14, 2008 Don Muret

SportsBusiness Journal

The New Meadowlands Stadium Co., the joint venture formed by the Jets and Giants to develop their new NFL facility, has hired Mark Lamping as CEO, effective April 1.

Lamping was most recently the St. Louis Cardinals President and played a principal role in building new Busch Stadium. Lamping also has worked in sales and marketing for Anheuser-Busch.

The $1.7 billion NFL stadium is 30 percent complete and on schedule to open for the 2010 season.

Lamping said that he "wasn't looking to leave St. Louis," but that he was "drawn to the opportunity to coordinate" the new Meadowlands stadium venture. "This is a chance to do something different. What's happening at the Meadowlands is a once-in-a-lifetime project. ... I'm the first employee hired, and you don't get the opportunity to build things from scratch, particularly on this prominent of a stage," Lamping said.

In St. Louis, Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz notes Lamping "helped with the smooth transition of the franchise when" Anheuser-Busch sold the Cardinals to Bill DeWitt Jr's group in 1995. The Cardinals will promote Senior VP/Business Development Bill DeWitt III to President.

Don Muret is a staff writer for SportsBusiness Journal. For more sports buisness news, go to SportsBusinessJournal.com or SportsBusinessDaily.com

He was also instramental in the designation of PSL's when the team began the construction of their new Stadium - something that may help the season ticket holder where it will hurt the worst - their wallets.

Lamping changed the direction of how a season ticket holder could pay off the PSL by allowing monthly payments (with interest) over a 4-year period.

And now the bad news - the average PSL to pay off a $40 million dollar deficit (S.L. Cardinals) is $2,500.00 per seat for a 19,000 seat stadium. We're moving into a stadium 4-times the size with a deficit of $600,000.00 to pay off. Expect our PSL to be between 3 to 4-times the amount!

This move is good for the team and sadly confirms that a PSL is about to be served on our dinner plate!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was also instramental in the designation of PSL's when the team began the construction of their new Stadium - something that may help the season ticket holder where it will hurt the worst - their wallets.

Lamping changed the direction of how a season ticket holder could pay off the PSL by allowing monthly payments (with interest) over a 4-year period.

And now the bad news - the average PSL to pay off a $40 million dollar deficit (S.L. Cardinals) is $2,500.00 per seat for a 19,000 seat stadium. We're moving into a stadium 4-times the size with a deficit of $600,000.00 to pay off. Expect our PSL to be between 3 to 4-times the amount!

This move is good for the team and puts PSL on the dinner plate!

Who cares? This belongs on the Giant Board.... Its Giants staduim and we are just a tennant..

Who cares? This belongs on the Giant Board.... Its Giants staduim and we are just a tennant..

It only shows how small you think. If both teams had moved to Manhattan, would your opinion be different?

I think so - I am really of the belief Toon that your are an ANTI-NJ, plain & simply put.

This move is good for the team and sadly confirms that a PSL is about to be served on our dinner plate!

It only shows how small you think. If both teams had moved to Manhattan, would your opinion be different?

I think so - I am really of the belief Toon that your are an ANTI-NJ, plain & simply put.

Im not anti NJ... I just feel my team is called the NY jets... and they should be playing in NY... thats that... yankees,mets,rangers,knicks,islanders all play in ny... why not our football teams?

Im not anti NJ... I just feel my team is called the NY jets... and they should be playing in NY... thats that... yankees,mets,rangers,knicks,islanders all play in ny... why not our football teams?

I'd also be more willing to overlook it if the stadium wasn't called "Giants Stadium" for the past 40 some odd years. Yeah I know this is more of a joint tenant thing, but it doesn't erase what it was before, and honestly I think the Giants probably have a bit more say in this new one too. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I do not like our home stadium situation at all. We are the only team that shares a stadium with another NFL team.

I'd rather we moved out to LI, more of the fanbase is there than NJ anyway. The Jets are a Manhattan/NYC/LI team, the Giants are more NJ.

Um, the Islanders play in Long Island, NY not NYC.

The Bills play in Orchard Park NY - South of Buffalo...

And I do not have to get into details about the Redskins, Dolphins & Cowboys do I?

They have both not played in NYC in over 24 years, does it really matter anymore?

Besides, this was a posting about the development of PSL's & not where a team plays....

... If the Manhattan project had been a go, we would have been here crying about the cost of PSL's 3 times the rate of a SHARED stadium & the fact that TAILGATING will no longer exist in 2010.

With a SHARED stadium, we get less of a jolt!

Does anyone else find it interesting that this guy is the first guy hired to develop a stadium that is already 30% done according to this article....

Joisey that was my point - he was brought in to develop the PSL'S!!!

I'll promise you.. Busch stadium seats more than 19,000. It seats 46,700 to be exact.

I'd also be more willing to overlook it if the stadium wasn't called "Giants Stadium" for the past 40 some odd years. Yeah I know this is more of a joint tenant thing, but it doesn't erase what it was before, and honestly I think the Giants probably have a bit more say in this new one too. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I do not like our home stadium situation at all. We are the only team that shares a stadium with another NFL team.

I'd rather we moved out to LI, more of the fanbase is there than NJ anyway. The Jets are a Manhattan/NYC/LI team, the Giants are more NJ.

Get the F**k over it ny- nj- conn. F**fing cry babies

Get the F**k over it ny- nj- conn. F**fing cry babies

you must fckn live in jersey... im sure.. or some other place that doesnt even matter...

I mean give me a fckn break... do u smoke crack son? does everyone smoke crack that doesnt think that we are the NY jets and we play in another state??? I mean what the fck? If you live in the 5 boroughs and your a Jet fan..this matters to you.. bergen county is not NY!!! its close but its not!!! Its new jersey!!

We are fckng second class citizens in this stadium... we share it with another team!!! thats doesn Irk you?? Its unbelievable to me..

Matter of fact if you are a jet fan living in florida or texas or oregon.. or anyother place for that matter.. I wouldnt excpect you to understand... until we get our own stadium this team wil always be an after thought in NY compared to the giants..

Met fans?? say you played all your fckning games in yankee stadium... how the fck would you feel? and if you say your fine with that.. then you are not a real fan.. BOTTOM LINE

you must fckn live in jersey... im sure.. or some other place that doesnt even matter...

I mean give me a fckn break... do u smoke crack son? does everyone smoke crack that doesnt think that we are the NY jets and we play in another state??? I mean what the fck? If you live in the 5 boroughs and your a Jet fan..this matters to you.. bergen county is not NY!!! its close but its not!!! Its new jersey!!

We are fckng second class citizens in this stadium... we share it with another team!!! thats doesn Irk you?? Its unbelievable to me..

Matter of fact if you are a jet fan living in florida or texas or oregon.. or anyother place for that matter.. I wouldnt excpect you to understand... until we get our own stadium this team wil always be an after thought in NY compared to the giants..

Met fans?? say you played all your fckning games in yankee stadium... how the fck would you feel? and if you say your fine with that.. then you are not a real fan.. BOTTOM LINE

We play in a SUBURB OF NYC. THe Redskins play in a different state too.. who cares...

"Our own stadium..." what are you 12? How many teams actually OWN their own stadium? It's a lot less than you think.

The new stadium is going to be 50/50, it isn't going to be shared and we arn't going to be second class citizens, get over it. The Jets arn't the only organization that share a stadium, the Giants do too.

New York City? Who cares if they play in New York City. I don't see the Giants fans complaining. Who f'ing cares. New Jersey is right next to New York City and a lot of people who attend the games come from New Jersey. You also would have zero tailgating in NYC and it would be even more expensive to attend the games. Infact, you wouldn't be able to afford it.

LOSER GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baumer it's a shared stadium shouldn't the factor be divided by 2? that brings the range from 7500-10k per 3250-5k per?

everyone assumes the worst but 4 grand-ish per seat (and you know there will be a credit card they will open for you) isn't impossible one time expense for a dedicated person who saves for the expense. or a person with good credit.

Baumer it's a shared stadium shouldn't the factor be divided by 2? that brings the range from 7500-10k per 3250-5k per?

everyone assumes the worst but 4 grand-ish per seat (and you know there will be a credit card they will open for you) isn't impossible one time expense for a dedicated person who saves for the expense. or a person with good credit.

Baumer claims St Louis' stadium holds 19K too when it holds 46.7K... So the numbers all offset.

Baumer claims St Louis' stadium holds 19K too when it holds 46.7K... So the numbers all offset.

no matter how pricey this thing is to build it will be exactly half as outrageous as if they were building it alone. the stadium can sell the naming rights twice and sell two sets of PSLs. A real PSL entitles the seat owner to at least a chance at all the NFL football games of the stadium, these won't be that.

my best guess if you are the proud owner of 8 50 yard line seats it's gonna be a bad PSL hit, maybe even 10k per... sorry but 2 in the upper deck corners should be very doable for middle class fans. if you have really really good seats it's probably gonna be a situation where downsize or stop going. It's a pretty sound investment however no way those things dip below the original sale price in value... and location is everything. A guy like me on the waitlist should be able to pull off 1 or 2 very sh|tty seats.

no it doesnt matter to me if the play in NJ or play in Giants stadium... What benefit do you as a fan get if we had our own stadium?? What are you not receiving because we share a stadium?

Oh thats right... nothing would be different for you at all. We wouldnt be treated any differently by the media if we had our own stadium.

I dont care if the Jets are respected by any one. I am a fan and enjoy watching them play. Where they play doesnt matter. And it shouldnt to you.

oh, and if the mets played in yankee stadium i wouldnt care. it doesnt affect my enjoyment of the game.

The new stadium is going to be 50/50, it isn't going to be shared and we arn't going to be second class citizens, get over it. The Jets arn't the only organization that share a stadium, the Giants do too.

New York City? Who cares if they play in New York City. I don't see the Giants fans complaining. Who f'ing cares. New Jersey is right next to New York City and a lot of people who attend the games come from New Jersey. You also would have zero tailgating in NYC and it would be even more expensive to attend the games. Infact, you wouldn't be able to afford it.

some jet fans have an inferiority complex. They wanted to be respected.

When all they should care about is their enjoyment of their team and stop worrying what others think.

some jet fans have an inferiority complex. They wanted to be respected.

When all they should care about is their enjoyment of their team and stop worrying what others think.

Yep.

Personally I don't care if we move to f'ing Philadelphia and call ourselves the NYJets, as long as we win, I don't care. Who gives a rats ass if they play in Jersey or NYC. Jersey is thought to be the baby brother of New York. It has much more room for a stadium and tailgating.

Yep.

Personally I don't care if we move to f'ing Philadelphia and call ourselves the NYJets, as long as we win, I don't care. Who gives a rats ass if they play in Jersey or NYC. Jersey is thought to be the baby brother of New York. It has much more room for a stadium and tailgating.

Really??? why dont we just moves to california... ask how amny brooklyn dodger fans still upset about that 60 years ago!!

Our own stadium thats right! 12?? wht the fck are u talkting about?? name me the other teams that are from the same state but share the same stadium???

Bengals browns? NOPE who else?? Steelers eagles?? NOPE... trust me this is a bugger issue then you the few jet fans that u are aware of....

I have a feeling none of you are even from ny or live in ny and thats why its no big deal...

Anyways... there a few of you that have knowledge on this board... some of you must be 12... an dhave no clue.. like the other guy wanting somebody for us to draft in the third round when we dont even have a pick... LOL

The way you type you have no right on calling anybody out. You are ignorant. Cleveland and Cincinnati are FAR, FAR away from each other. Same thing goes for Phildelphia and Pittsburgh. These are the NEW YORK Jets and the NEW YORK Giants. They both play in NEW JERSEY. They both used to play in NEW YORK CITY. Now they play in NEW JERSEY so their fans can have a better game day experience and because it is cheaper. That is why. NJ is the little brother of NYC.

Why can't you put this through your hard headed skull?

Really??? why dont we just moves to california... ask how amny brooklyn dodger fans still upset about that 60 years ago!!

Our own stadium thats right! 12?? wht the fck are u talkting about?? name me the other teams that are from the same state but share the same stadium???

Bengals browns? NOPE who else?? Steelers eagles?? NOPE... trust me this is a bugger issue then you the few jet fans that u are aware of....

I have a feeling none of you are even from ny or live in ny and thats why its no big deal...

Anyways... there a few of you that have knowledge on this board... some of you must be 12... an dhave no clue.. like the other guy wanting somebody for us to draft in the third round when we dont even have a pick... LOL

I grew up and lived on Long Island. I went to Jets games when I lived on Long Island. I now live in Massachusetts and still go to 10 home games a year.

I would be better off if we had a stadium in NYC then i could take the train in. I would be better off if the stadium were on Long Island.. then i could visit my family on Sat.

It was a big deal to me when I was 12. Then I learned about economics and the reality of the real world. I also grew up and realized that it really didnt matter where we played our games. It doesnt change the enjoyment I have at the games.

Other than respect, why is it important that we have our own stadium for you as a fan?

The way you type you have no right on calling anybody out. You are ignorant. Cleveland and Cincinnati are FAR, FAR away from each other. Same thing goes for Phildelphia and Pittsburgh. These are the NEW YORK Jets and the NEW YORK Giants. They both play in NEW JERSEY. They both used to play in NEW YORK CITY. Now they play in NEW JERSEY so their fans can have a better game day experience and because it is cheaper. That is why. NJ is the little brother of NYC.

Why can't you put this through your hard headed skull?

inferiority complex...

he cares what people think of his Jets and he bases his enjoyment of the Jets on what people think rather than the performance on the field.

And the moronic statements CONTINUE.

The Jets and Giants are the only 2 teams that play the same CITY. Yes, CITY.

Do you know how far it is from Cincinnati to Cleveland (you should, your friend is from there). 244 miles by car according to mapquest. Philly and Pittsburgh? 305 miles. New York City and New York City? 0 miles.

Get off the state crap. There are 32 teams. Let's exclude the Jets and Giants for now. That means of the 30 remaining teams, only these teams are named after states:

Tennessee

Arizona

Minnesota

Carolina (sort of)

Yes, 4. New England is named after a region. So I think it's safe to say that the Jets and Giants were named after New York City... 3 of the 4 teams named after a state either MOVED there or were an expansion team (in other words, it happened in the last 15 or so years).

Now can we shut up about the state crap?

This is what happens when people forget to take their medication!

I'll promise you.. Busch stadium seats more than 19,000. It seats 46,700 to be exact.

the cards only had PSL's on their best seats.

According to this article, they raised 40 mil on 10,500 seats.

http://www.metrocorpcounsel.com/current.php?artType=view&artMonth=March&artYear=2008&EntryNo=8027

Most prominently, the St. Louis Cardinals raised approximately $40 million by selling lifetime PSL's for 10,500 of the best seats in the new Busch Stadium, which opened in 2006,

the cards only had PSL's on their best seats.

According to this article, they raised 40 mil on 10,500 seats.

http://www.metrocorpcounsel.com/current.php?artType=view&artMonth=March&artYear=2008&EntryNo=8027

Most prominently, the St. Louis Cardinals raised approximately $40 million by selling lifetime PSL's for 10,500 of the best seats in the new Busch Stadium, which opened in 2006,

True, but it's unfair to say "our facility is 4X as big" and make people panic. It's possible only our premium seats will get psls

True, but it's unfair to say "our facility is 4X as big" and make people panic. It's possible only our premium seats will get psls

that is the most likely scenario. As I read in another article, teams look at the rich fans to subsidize the poorer fans. So people like me who have seats on the lower level on the 50 will be priced out of our tickets, those in the upper deck probably wont have to pay much if at all.

AirForceJetsFan posted this thread...

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52013

thats where I saw the "subsidize" comment

While I hate the ideas of PSLs, this never-ending NYC thing is the height of stupidity.Johnson did everything he could, and frankly the deck was stacked against him for the beginning. I am not a green guy, but objectively building 2 brand new stadiums 7 miles apart on either side of the Lincoln Tunnel was an incredibly wasteful idea. Further, I've been going to games since Shea. While the drive home from Jersey sucks, while the game was going on, where the game was played was never a thought.

It was never going to get built in Manhattan because the city is infested with poltical hacks who can bought off by MSG like Shelly Silver, and whiny build nothing anywhere crybaby douchebags. A Queens stadium didn't make any sense if you could share a stadium with the Jints in Jersey. So it wasn't going to happen, period. Whining like a girl who didn't win the Little Miss Beauty Pageant doesn't change those things.

All I know for a fact is again, the Jints are split. The Mara faction figures they'll be printing money, why take the PR hit of PSLs, while the Tisch faction wants to bleed everyone white, PR be damned. Johnson with this hire seems to be in line with the Tisch faction. That sucks.

that is the most likely scenario. As I read in another article, teams look at the rich fans to subsidize the poorer fans. So people like me who have seats on the lower level on the 50 will be priced out of our tickets, those in the upper deck probably wont have to pay much if at all.

AirForceJetsFan posted this thread...

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52013

thats where I saw the "subsidize" comment

I doubt you're 100% priced out... I bet they give you the option to move back giving someone else, willing to pony up, those premium seats.

While I hate the ideas of PSLs, this never-ending NYC thing is the height of stupidity.Johnson did everything he could, and frankly the deck was stacked against him for the beginning. I am not a green guy, but objectively building 2 brand new stadiums 7 miles apart on either side of the Lincoln Tunnel was an incredibly wasteful idea. Further, I've been going to games since Shea. While the drive home from Jersey sucks, while the game was going on, where the game was played was never a thought.

It was never going to get built in Manhattan because the city is infested with poltical hacks who can bought off by MSG like Shelly Silver, and whiny build nothing anywhere crybaby douchebags. A Queens stadium didn't make any sense if you could share a stadium with the Jints in Jersey. So it wasn't going to happen, period. Whining like a girl who didn't win the Little Miss Beauty Pageant doesn't change those things.

All I know for a fact is again, the Jints are split. The Mara faction figures they'll be printing money, why take the PR hit of PSLs, while the Tisch faction wants to bleed everyone white, PR be damned. Johnson with this hire seems to be in line with the Tisch faction. That sucks.

The voice of reason. About time.

Archived