My Girlfriend's House Nearly Burned Down

So I had a bit of a scare this morning. I woke up at 3:30 this morning to the sound of my cell phone going off. Check out the phone and i have a missed call and text message from my girlfriend. The text message reads "Oh My God. House next door is on fire. We got evacuated." Call her up. Turns out that the 3 story townhouse that was being constructed next door to her house somehow caught on fire. The fire engulfed the entire house and the cops were pounding on her door to evacuate her house, as the wind was blowing in their direction and they were afraid her house was going to catch fire. Got a little bit of smoke damage on her house, Luckily it didn't catch fire. She had to leave without being able to grab anything other than a jacket. Managed to run down there and grab her at about 4 am and both got back to my place at 5. Got up this morning and they haven't let anyone into the building all day. So she's basically stuck without a house right now.

So with all this, im going through work on about 3 hours sleep and absolutely dragging. It's a shame. Those construction guys had been working on that house for about 7 months and were just about finished. I had caught a glimpse of a guy getting led away in cuffs which makes me think some drunken idiot managed to set the house on fire. What a way to start off the day, eh?

• Upvote 1
Sounds like an insurance job. Either that or they were building low income housing in a nice neighborhood.

or someone wanted to see her run outta the house in just a jacket.

I watched a house burn in my hometown when I was young. stephen, a kid in my class, his brother , sister & parents just stood there looking on helpless. prolly one of the saddest events I've ever witnessed.

thankfully no one was hurt & little damage to her house mav. could you describe the jacket in more detail for my sick friend dna. he's kind of a perv.:)

or someone wanted to see her run outta the house in just a jacket.

I watched a house burn in my hometown when I was young. stephen, a kid in my class, his brother , sister & parents just stood there looking on helpless. prolly one of the saddest events I've ever witnessed.

thankfully no one was hurt & little damage to her house mav. could you describe the jacket in more detail for my sick friend dna. he's kind of a perv.:)

yeah, we definitely got lucky. She wasn't able to get back into her house until 5pm today. Had to let her borrow my car while I worked so she coulld stay at my place.

Took a look after I got off work and the thing is just gutted. Southwest corner of the building just completely collapsed. A few of the construction guys were hanging out around what was left and looked like they wanted to punch a hole through a wall.

and btw...get your minds out of the gutter about that jacket :lol:

yeah, we definitely got lucky. She wasn't able to get back into her house until 5pm today. Had to let her borrow my car while I worked so she coulld stay at my place.

Took a look after I got off work and the thing is just gutted. Southwest corner of the building just completely collapsed. A few of the construction guys were hanging out around what was left and looked like they wanted to punch a hole through a wall.

and btw...get your minds out of the gutter about that jacket :lol:

any smoke damage to gf's house? she's lucky no water damage.

any smoke damage to gf's house? she's lucky no water damage.

There is a little bit on the side of the house. Nothing major. Fortunately, she is leasing a couple rooms in the house (it's a 6 unit house) so any damages are goin to be the responsibility of the landlord. So she's not going to have any costs.