Detroit-NYJ rumor: Roy for the #6

Greenseed3

You should accept it:

The New York Jets are not selecting a RB any time before round 4 (if at all).

They do not think Jones is too old or they would not have given him a 4 year deal 1 year ago.

Keep repeating this to yourself until it sinks in.

They simply cannot be investing that much money into the Running Back position, and they don't have a need at Running Back. They need to pick for need when they have holes if you want them to improve their chances of being contenders.

what wholes do they have left?? QB RB skill positions... for sure..you want to be a contender you need to release chad asap... how many more years will we have him on the team?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He may be 30, but he's a younger 30 than most. Hasn't carried the load too often in his career. He also had a pretty decent season last year for the line he had to run behind. He still has another 2 or 3 good seasons in him, IMO. I would have no problem waiting a year or two until looking at a replacement. Leon is good for 150 carries a season, if he is given the chance and Chatman is nothing more than an insurance policy / short yardage back. Right now, there is no reason to go Running Back. Not in 2008. McFadden isn't a sure thing, and in my eyes is the next KiJana Carter.

The Jets don't need a Running Back to win now. Drafting for the future is all well and good, but the team they have now is built to win in the next 2-4 years. They need to be drafting players who fit their needs, not their wants for two or three years down the line. There will be plenty of other backs to choose from.

The thought of Mendenhall/Stewart/McFadden + Jones + Leon running behind Faneca, Richardson, Mangold etc. is pretty darn scary. Add in Chad's effectiveness off of Play Action and we have a pretty awesome offence.

Jones + Leon may be good, but not great. It's not nessecarily my favoured option (drafting a RB) but it would have me pretty excited.

They simply cannot be investing that much money into the Running Back position, and they don't have a need at Running Back. They need to pick for need when they have holes if you want them to improve their chances of being contenders.

So it's better to pile in loads of money to a #2 CB???

Jones & Washington together, if Washington is used more than he was in '07, is a scary 1-2 punch as it is. One of the better ones in the AFC.

As for the remaining holes, well:

Wide Receiver

Cornerback

Inside Linebacker - Are you confident with Barton & or Kassell?

Offensive Line Depth

Those are the four areas the Jets need to address early on in the draft. At lesat two Offensive Lineman should be selected with their first four picks. For instance, Faneca is 31, it would be wise to get a back-up G who could step in three years down the road if Faneca calls it quits or gets injuried.

If Thomas Jones were to get hurt, a combination of Washington and Chatman could step in and do just fine. The left side of the line is solid and as it stays healthy it can make almost any back run for 1,000+ with ease. Especially since Tony Richarsdon is leading the way at Fullback.

So it's better to pile in loads of money to a #2 CB???

Defense wins championships. I'd rather have a great defense with a good offense. Chances are better for championship aspirations. I know its not the sexy Madden Era look, but its still what wins. The Giants DEFENSE held New England to 14 points and won the Super Bowl.

Defense wins championships. I'd rather have a great defense with a good offense. Chances are better for championship aspirations. I know its not the sexy Madden Era look, but its still what wins. The Giants DEFENSE held New England to 14 points and won the Super Bowl.

We're a ****load closer to a great defense than we are to even a good offense.

Jones & Washington together, if Washington is used more than he was in '07, is a scary 1-2 punch as it is. One of the better ones in the AFC.

Wide Receiver

Cornerback

Offensive Line Depth

Those are the four areas the Jets need to address early on in the draft. At lesat two Offensive Lineman should be selected with their first four picks. For instance, Faneca is 31, it would be wise to get a back-up G who could step in three years down the road if Faneca calls it quits or gets injuried.

If Thomas Jones were to get hurt, a combination of Washington and Chatman could step in and do just fine. The left side of the line is solid and as it stays healthy it can make almost any back run for 1,000+ with ease. Especially since Tony Richarsdon is leading the way at Fullback.

You said it yourself though, almost any back could go over a 1000 with the blocking. So could you imagine what a triple combo of Backs could do??? Not to mention it stabilises the RB position for years.

The reason we're disagreeing is because I really don't rate Thomas Jones much at all whereas you do. I know he hasn't had too many carries but a 30 year old is a 30 year old back. I can't see Thomas Jones leading us to anything better than a slightly above average running attack, whereas if we had potential gamebreaker like Mendenhall or Stewart I think we could have an elite running game. I'm talking a league leading attack.

Look I've already stated that I want us to draft Gholston if we can't trade down. But it'd be a lie to say I wouldn't be excited with a top running back to run behind that line.

WTF ?

Roy Williams is not worth the 6th pick! Please tell me this is a joke.

We'd be giving up the 6th pick but picking up the 15th. So basically we're trading down draft Williams and the BPA/Biggest position of need at 15. That would be an absolute steal.

I never said 'feature back', it would be a franchise back ala:

Of course he's not going to be brought into carry the load. It would still be RBBC.

so the jets should give out $20M+ sb to a rb and still use rbbc?

the effectiveness of the rb is completely dependant on the OL.

so the jets should give out $20M+ sb to a rb and still use rbbc?

the effectiveness of the rb is completely dependant on the OL.

I agree but great backs will be more effective than good ones, it looks like we have the line sorted.

Look how it's worked out for Indy with Addai. Look how it's working out for Minnesota with AP (they just need good QB play). It's not as crazy an idea as you make it out to be, plus like I said, whether you like Chad or not you can't deny that he's pretty awesome off of play action. That would be open all day with and elite rushing attack.

I agree but great backs will be more effective than good ones, it looks like we have the line sorted.

Look how it's worked out for Indy with Addai. Look how it's working out for Minnesota with AP (they just need good QB play). It's not as crazy an idea as you make it out to be, plus like I said, whether you like Chad or not you can't deny that he's pretty awesome off of play action. That would be open all day with and elite rushing attack.

addai was drafted at the end of rd 1 - closer to the jets rd 2 pick than #6 overall. if they want to draft a rb in rd 2 i am all for it. i think it is a huge mistake to pay a 20M+ to a just about any rb, let alone one who has never taken an nfl snap. look at the last few drafts: bush, r brown, c williams, c benson. i bet all of those teams regret those picks and committing so much $ to them.

addai was drafted at the end of rd 1 - closer to the jets rd 2 pick than #6 overall. if they want to draft a rb in rd 2 i am all for it. i think it is a huge mistake to pay a 20M+ to a just about any rb, let alone one who has never taken an nfl snap. look at the last few drafts: bush, r brown, c williams, c benson. i bet all of those teams regret those picks and committing so much $ to them.

The point of this thread is we're talking about trading down to 15, in which case I would be incredibly excited to see Mendenhall/Stewart/Mcfadden available.

Also, I'll state again - I do want us to draft defence. I just wouldn't be against us drafting a potential gamebreaker at running back.

Not to mention Addai was being spoken of as a 3rd round pick until the combine. Then (before we traded for Jones) people were targeting him with our high 2nd rounder, with plenty of others suggesting he was a little bit of a reach there (though not tremendously so).

The point is that Indy didn't draft a "franchise back" - they drafted a RB (and technically reached a little for him), and he has proven productive with the threat of Peyton Manning's arm always present.

No need to simplify things as though Addai singlehandedly changed a sub-par running attack into a great one. When Addai missed a start, they didn't miss a beat with Kenton Keith in there. Or is he elite also?

Not to mention Addai was being spoken of as a 3rd round pick until the combine. Then (before we traded for Jones) people were targeting him with our high 2nd rounder, with plenty of others suggesting he was a little bit of a reach there (though not tremendously so).

The point is that Indy didn't draft a "franchise back" - they drafted a RB (and technically reached a little for him), and he has proven productive with the threat of Peyton Manning's arm always present.

No need to simplify things as though Addai singlehandedly changed a sub-par running attack into a great one. When Addai missed a start, they didn't miss a beat with Kenton Keith in there. Or is he elite also?

Wait a second...

Addai was drafted the year PRIOR to us taking Jones.

Wait a second...

Addai was drafted the year PRIOR to us taking Jones.

You're right. Hey, it's Saturday.

Everything I said still applies, though. Addai was hardly considered an elite RB prospect. Talent-wise, he was thought to be clearly behind:

Reggie Bush

Lendale White (whose attitude & off-season weight gain still only dropped him to #45)

Lawrence Maroney

DeAngelo Williams

Maurice Drew (only reason he wasn't picked in round 1 was - stupidly - because of his height at the combine).

Then maybe Addai was next. But he had a great attitude & went into an even greater situation.

So what the definition of franchise back depends on draft stock???:roll:

They drafted a RB in the first round, regardless of what other people felt about Addai Indy obviously felt he was good enough to go that high and were willing to make him their 'franchise back'. To put his success down to Manning is ridiculous. Him and Dominic rhodes comnbined with the O-line and defence are the primary reason Manning won those playoff games, were he himself really struggled.

Mendenhall is a very similar type player to Addai and has drawn many comparisons to him, put an Addai type player into our RB rotation and IMo we have an elite rushing attack.

The Lion's boards are talking about an insane rumor. Apparently Roy Williams IS on the trading block, and the Jets will consider moving from #6 to #15 with Roy being the compensation.

Now, I'm not one to pass rumors along; but this one intrigues me on several levels:

1) Roy out of Detroit has surfaced before.

2) Detroit just cut Kevin Jones, and signed the injured Tatum Bell to a ONE year deal...so,

3) Them getting Darren McFadden seems awfully tempting.

I for one would like to acquire the services of one Roy Williams, and if it means we can move down in the draft and acquire a cheaper player who is 1) still the BAP and 2) a player of need (like Mike Jenkins or DMC) .....then I'm all for it.

If this rumor has any truth to it... We can acquire a #1 WR, a #1 CB (for this draft), and a #1 ILB (Croften or Avril) at the top of the second....even if it takes a 4th rounder for pursausion.

On top of that, I have an inkling that we might be trading Drob for Daniel Graham (a great blocking TE) which would mean we would have both a formidable offense and a formidable defense.

Why would the Lions ever do that trade?

If the rumor were the #6 for a 3rd rounder and Roy Williams OR the #15 pick, then that would make sense. But no way will DET give BOTH RW and the 15th pick for DMC, especially considering the depth of RBs in this draft.

Wide Receiver

Cornerback

Offensive Line Depth

Yea but a 2nd MLB can be found in the later rounds like this guy who was All-SEC for at least 2 years

Jon Goff- 6'2" 245lbs http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=17529

What a great throw this was from Manning, unbelievable.

The YAC?? Meh, the product of Manning, nothing else.:roll:

You pick one instance and think it's all the RB? It was a great run, and addai is a good back, but who do you think the Pats were keying in on, on that play? I assure you it wasn't the running back sneaking out of the back field.

JMO, but do the world a favor and stay out of the sciences for your career. It's called "sample size". ;)

Archived