Jets sign TE Bubba Franks - Daily News

gangreenman

Source: Jets add TE Bubba Franks

The Jets have agreed to terms with former Packers TE Bubba Franks, an NFL source has told the Daily News.

Franks, a three-time Pro Bowler, is coming off one of his least productive seasons. But he provides depth, backing up Chris Baker.

The Jets focused on Franks after failing to sign Colts TE Ben Utecht last week.

---------------------------------

We'll see the money and length of the contract. If its anything significantly over the vet. minimum and a 2 yr deal, Ill be kinda pissed.

Again, I'm not a fan of this. He let other players outperform him during his last 2 years with GB.

That's why he'll be our #2 TE and not our starting TE. Donald lee outperformed him becuase they were employing a more pass oriented offense. Bubba will be mostly utilized in our two TE sets in order to run the ball and probably use his big 6'6 frame in the redzone.

We should have persued Shockey the real deal at TE in the NFL. Bubba Franks signing tells me Chad will be the starter.This will give more targets 2 TE formations. Go Chad!

Just say no to Shockey, great player but he needs a strong qb to tell him to shut his mouth. Clemens isn't that guy.

That's why he'll be our #2 TE and not our starting TE. Donald lee outperformed him becuase they were employing a more pass oriented offense. Bubba will be mostly utilized in our two TE sets in order to run the ball and probably use his big 6'6 frame in the redzone.

Let's hope he plays better than Ryan did last year.

:rl:

No way this is a serious post. lol.

I was hoping that if we ignored it, it would go unnoticed. I don't understand why every move we make means it's all because of chad; is he the only one who could benefit from a 6'6 body in the end zone?? or from an increased rushing game with an improved oline and an extra run blocking TE?? If we traded for mcnabb these same people would probably say that we're giving chad motivation to start GO CHAD....

I'm willing to bet this guys cost 1/3 of what shockey would. This guys would also be less of a distraction and is probably less injury prone than crybaby shockey.

And a likely 35th overall draft pick that Shockey would cost.

We still have plenty of cap space. What are people worried about? That Jason Pociask won't get as many snaps or that he's not an adequate replacement for the now-departed Sean Ryan? I'm sure he was cheap enough.

Besides, prior to signing Franks, we had used up about $117.1M in cap space.

Doesn't include possible/likely extra space from the future-departed DRob, Barrett, etc. that will free up over $10M more.

I'm willing to bet this guys cost 1/3 of what shockey would. This guys would also be less of a distraction and is probably less injury prone than crybaby shockey.

I'll bet it is even less then 1/3. If they signed Shockey, and I don't know why they would, he would receive giant guaranteed money.

I'm willing to bet Franks is getting little more then his salary guaranteed this year, and that is probably a little more then Vets min

back in 2000 there was a lot of us that were hoping we would get Franks-especially some of us old Hurricanes fans-when we picked Anthony Becht instead I remember thinking well maybe he can be like a Mark Bavaro-he kinda looked like him flicking that ball at the camera on draft day highlights -I like what this FO is TRYING to do this year-gives me hope

And more running game means we're setting up to allow a young QB to take over... YAY! No More Chad!

For the guy who said shockey...

Did you happen to notice that the Giants became a BETTER team when he got hurt?

As Eli felt his life wasn't being threatened in the huddle (goodbye Tiki and Jeremy) he got better as well.

For the guy who said shockey...

Did you happen to notice that the Giants became a BETTER team when he got hurt?

He is definetly one of the more overated players in the league. The Giants should be looking to trade him, their offence functioned much better with Kevin Boss at the TE slot.

Lets compare Shockeys stats at the end of next season compared to Baker and Franks.

I'm not saying that he's worse than Baker or Franks but he wouldn't be worth the price as opposed to CB and BF, who are at least value for money.

Shockey doesn't 'blow' like I originally said, but he's far from elite either. He's been incredibly overated throughout his career and I think the Giants winning the SB in his absence proved that.

We should have persued Shockey the real deal at TE in the NFL. Bubba Franks signing tells me Chad will be the starter.This will give more targets 2 TE formations. Go Chad!

Notice how the Giants won the Super Bowl WITHOUT Shockey. I don't want that POS on the Jets.

Archived