George Mason? Villanova? Kentucky?

I personally root for Nova, not as my team, but just because they're Nova and I loved the Wright 4 guard system. I however can't believe they got in, but more surprising was Kentucky. If their school was named South Central Wyoming, I don't care how they came back to end their season, they're not in the tourny. As for Mason, how good is this team comapared with the squad that reached the Final Four? Obviously none of those players remain, but do they have a good chance in the famous 5-12 upset against Notre Dame?:Typotux:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at Mason we still have some pretty damn good players, especially with Will Thomas and Folarin Campbell. I don't know how good Notre Dame is this year, but as long as Mason remains focused and doesn't falter in the 2nd half as they have done a few times this year, we should definitely give them a tough game.

Villanova does not belong but for some reason the #5 rated conference got 8 teams in while the top rated conf got 4 teams in. Villanova beat no one in the non-conf, had only 2 good wins beating UConn and a betaen up Pitt team(both at HOME), they lost to NC State, Depaul and Rutgers.

Mason won the CAA tourney, so it wasn't the selection committee's decision to make. This team isn't as good (IMHO) as the final four team, but they can still score an upset, I think.

Nova has as many good wins as bad losses. Since most of the bad losses were in-conference, Nova's inclusion is the committee's way of recognizing how good the Big East was this year.

Keep in mind also, that Nova was knocked out of the Big East tourney by the favorite to win it, and that they had a big-time comeback against Syracuse. Not a national championship team, but certainly worthy of a tournament slot.

Mason won the CAA tourney, so it wasn't the selection committee's decision to make. This team isn't as good (IMHO) as the final four team, but they can still score an upset, I think.

Nova has as many good wins as bad losses. Since most of the bad losses were in-conference, Nova's inclusion is the committee's way of recognizing how good the Big East was this year.

Keep in mind also, that Nova was knocked out of the Big East tourney by the favorite to win it, and that they had a big-time comeback against Syracuse. Not a national championship team, but certainly worthy of a tournament slot.

'Nova had 2 good wins, both at home and 1 was over Pitt when Pitt was injured. They lost to a bad NC State team, Depaul and Rutgers and in the BE Tourney lost to GU by about 20 when Hibbert didn't score a point.

As for Mason, how good is this team comapared with the squad that reached the Final Four? Obviously none of those players remain, but do they have a good chance in the famous 5-12 upset against Notre Dame?:Typotux:

Dude, if you're going to ask a question like this, get your facts straight. A simple google search would tell you that Mason STILL has 2 key players from their Final 4 run: Forward Will Thomas and G Folarin Campbell.

GMU will not be making the Final 4 this year, but I would give them a moderate chance at knocking off Notre Dame in round 1. Farangody should give them a lot of trouble inside.

'Nova had 2 good wins, both at home and 1 was over Pitt when Pitt was injured. They lost to a bad NC State team, Depaul and Rutgers and in the BE Tourney lost to GU by about 20 when Hibbert didn't score a point.

Shenanigans. The Big East has been the top conference for a few years now. That hasn't changed. Villanova won 9 games in-conference.

Villanova beat 5 teams that are in the tourney field this year, and played 7 of them.

We played well against Georgetown until Scottie Reynolds got hurt. He sat out significant minutes with his eye bleeding. At one point, Nova was playing that game without a point guard on the court at all. Hibbert is overrated, anyway.

Shenanigans. The Big East has been the top conference for a few years now. That hasn't changed. Villanova won 9 games in-conference.

Villanova beat 5 teams that are in the tourney field this year, and played 7 of them.

We played well against Georgetown until Scottie Reynolds got hurt. He sat out significant minutes with his eye bleeding. At one point, Nova was playing that game without a point guard on the court at all. Hibbert is overrated, anyway.

The BE was the best conf 2 years ago. This year it was the Pac 10. The BE played very poorly as a conf in the non-conf portion of the sched then as usual they get in conf and beat up on the bottom half of the BE(which is awful) and pad their records.

That's great you played well against GU but you didn't beat them and you had a chance to in the BE Tourney and lost by 19 when Hibbert didn't score a point.

Oh, Villanova shouldn't have made it?

And who should have? Ohio State? Arizona State? Syracuse?

gimme a break.

Syracuse? no way, they didn't belong on the bubble even heading into the BE Tourney. Villanova played a creampuff non-conf sched and LOST to a bad NC State team then in conf they had 2 good wins. One over a beat up Pitt team and one over UConn and both were played at home. They lost to Rutgers, Cincy and Depaul in conference.

OSU deserved it ahead of 'Nova, ASU deserved it ahead of 'Nova and others did as well. ASU was 9-9 in a MUCH tougher conf. Unlike the BE the Pac doesn't have 5-6 bad teams to beat up on, the Pac 10 had 1 bad team so winning 9 in the Pac 10 this year was much more impressive then you throw in that they crushed Xavier and beat Stanford they had a more impressive resume. tjose 2 wins were more impressive than beating Pitt and UConn.

OSU at least played a competitive non-conf sched playing UNC, Tex A&M and Butler. They also crushed the only BE team they played which was Syracuse. They alos beat Purdue and Mich State.

The BE did not deserve an 8th team in.

All Conference RPI's as of 2 days ago..

http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php

Just the Top 10

Through March 16

Rnk Conference W-L PctOverall RPISOS (Rank)Non-Conf RPIHiLoAvgMedian

1 Atlantic Coast 128-38 .771 .5733 .5123 ( 7) .5681 ( 1) 1 133 65 63

2 Pac 10 95-24 .798 .5673 .4878 (21) .5564 ( 4) 4 269 72 48

3 Big 12 124-40 .756 .5665 .5068 (11) .5587 ( 2) 5 180 72 59

4 Southeastern 124-42 .747 .5633 .5053 (13) .5500 ( 5) 2 174 78 64

5 Big East 144-52 .735 .5622 .5126 ( 6) .5583 ( 3) 8 211 80 53

6 Big Ten 94-42 .691 .5467 .5095 (10) .5407 ( 8) 11 223 99 101

7 Atlantic 10 119-66 .643 .5399 .5114 ( 8) .5408 ( 7) 9 264 106 98

8 Missouri Valley 70-40 .636 .5383 .5105 ( 9) .5408 ( 6) 10 251 108 114

9 Mountain West 74-40 .649 .5261 .4765 (25) .5126 (10) 24 265 126 96

10 Conference USA 90-62 .592 .5178 .5011 (15) .5093 (11) 3 302 144 125

The BE was the best conf 2 years ago. This year it was the Pac 10. The BE played very poorly as a conf in the non-conf portion of the sched then as usual they get in conf and beat up on the bottom half of the BE(which is awful) and pad their records.

That's great you played well against GU but you didn't beat them and you had a chance to in the BE Tourney and lost by 19 when Hibbert didn't score a point.

Syracuse? no way, they didn't belong on the bubble even heading into the BE Tourney. Villanova played a creampuff non-conf sched and LOST to a bad NC State team then in conf they had 2 good wins. One over a beat up Pitt team and one over UConn and both were played at home. They lost to Rutgers, Cincy and Depaul in conference.

OSU deserved it ahead of 'Nova, ASU deserved it ahead of 'Nova and others did as well. ASU was 9-9 in a MUCH tougher conf. Unlike the BE the Pac doesn't have 5-6 bad teams to beat up on, the Pac 10 had 1 bad team so winning 9 in the Pac 10 this year was much more impressive then you throw in that they crushed Xavier and beat Stanford they had a more impressive resume. tjose 2 wins were more impressive than beating Pitt and UConn.

OSU at least played a competitive non-conf sched playing UNC, Tex A&M and Butler. They also crushed the only BE team they played which was Syracuse. They alos beat Purdue and Mich State.

The BE did not deserve an 8th team in.

HAHA.

SYRACUSE? The same Syracuse that Villanova trounced twice, including in a so called "ELIMINATION" game, and that failed to win 20 games? Give me a break.

Ohio State? I mean, did you watch them this year? If you think this team is definitively better than Villanova, you didn't.

HAHA.

SYRACUSE? The same Syracuse that Villanova trounced twice, including in a so called "ELIMINATION" game, and that failed to win 20 games? Give me a break.

Ohio State? I mean, did you watch them this year? If you think this team is definitively better than Villanova, you didn't.

Yep the same SU team that BEAT Villanova at 'Nova by 14 points.

Who did Villanova beat?

Arizona State should be in. So should UMass.

Bull****. Arizona State had a strength of schedule of 86, an RPI of 83 and their only notable wins were over Arizona, a bubble team themselves that barely got in. They also went 5-10 in their final 15 games, including a one and done in the PAC-10 Tourney. NOT tournament material at all. Why the hell did everyone jump on ASU's bandwagon? Just because Jay Bilas said? Morons.

As for UMASS, they also went one-and-done in the A-10 Tourney, and lost to the likes of IUPUI, Fordham, and Northern Iowa. Their BEST win came in conference play, against Dayton, to give them a 1-5 record against the top 50.

UMASS and Arizona State were rightfully left out. Oregon and Kentucky should not have gotten in either. Instead, Illinois State and either Creighton, Ohio State, or Dayton should have been in the dance in their place.

In addition, there is absolutely no WAY that Butler should have gotten just a 7-seed. They were ranked 10th in the country and 17th in the RPI. How could anyone possibly justify that 24 teams were better than the Bulldogs? To make matters worse, they match them up with South Alabama to guarentee a mid-major gets knocked out, instead of pairing them with a team like Arizona or Baylor. As if the BCS teams didn't have enough advantages.

The Selection Committee was on drugs this year, thanks to George Mason AD Tom O'Connor.

Bull****. Arizona State had a strength of schedule of 86, an RPI of 83 and their only notable wins were over Arizona, a bubble team themselves that barely got in. They also went 5-10 in their final 15 games, including a one and done in the PAC-10 Tourney. NOT tournament material at all. Why the hell did everyone jump on ASU's bandwagon? Just because Jay Bilas said? Morons.

As for UMASS, they also went one-and-done in the A-10 Tourney, and lost to the likes of IUPUI, Fordham, and Northern Iowa. Their BEST win came in conference play, against Dayton, to give them a 1-5 record against the top 50.

UMASS and Arizona State were rightfully left out. Oregon and Kentucky should not have gotten in either. Instead, Illinois State and either Creighton, Ohio State, or Dayton should have been in the dance in their place.

In addition, there is absolutely no WAY that Butler should have gotten just a 7-seed. They were ranked 10th in the country and 17th in the RPI. How could anyone possibly justify that 24 teams were better than the Bulldogs? To make matters worse, they match them up with South Alabama to guarentee a mid-major gets knocked out, instead of pairing them with a team like Arizona or Baylor. As if the BCS teams didn't have enough advantages.

The Selection Committee was on drugs this year, thanks to George Mason AD Tom O'Connor.

ASU's only notable win was over Arizona? First off they swept Arizona ans they also happened to beat XAVIER and STANFORD which are 2 more imprewssive victories than any that 'Nova had and just by playing Xavier in the non-conf I think they had a tougher non-conf sched than 'Nova. 'Nova didn't play awful teams like ASU but they didn't play any good teams either and their only good wins were over UConn and Pitt at HOME.

Very nice job by Nova, I must admit. Now comes UNC. I will be rooting to the extreme for Nova to pull off the upset, as I have UNC losing in the Elite 8 anyway.

GO NOVA! and GO DAVIDSON! Gotta love the 10-15 seeds that make runs in each years tourny.

As for Mason, GFY you bastards.

Very nice job by Nova, I must admit. Now comes UNC. I will be rooting to the extreme for Nova to pull off the upset, as I have UNC losing in the Elite 8 anyway.

GO NOVA! and GO DAVIDSON! Gotta love the 10-15 seeds that make runs in each years tourny.

As for Mason, GFY you bastards.

WTF??????

Nova plays Kansas,,not UNC,,,then it would be Davidson/Wisc. winner after that,,they wouldnt play UNC till Final 4....

The Big East has done more than an admirable job of stacking up this March. Aside from the upsets, most teams are playing to their seeding.

they have done better than in past,,usually they have lots lose early,,they did ok this year,,acc had down year

helloooooooooooo

ACC has just 1 in sweet 16

But the ACC wasn't supposed to be a great conf this year, BE fans claim the BE was the best when that clearly wasn't the case. getting just 3 in is pretty pathetic when they had 7 playing over the weekend.

But the ACC wasn't supposed to be a great conf this year, BE fans claim the BE was the best when that clearly wasn't the case. getting just 3 in is pretty pathetic when they had 7 playing over the weekend.

Whats your beef with the Big East?

WTF??????

Nova plays Kansas,,not UNC,,,then it would be Davidson/Wisc. winner after that,,they wouldnt play UNC till Final 4....

Whoops. Thats right. I mixed up Mason and Nova's regions for some reason.

I don't buy it. The ACC is always supposed to be a power conference. ACC's 2nd best team (Duke) was beaten by the 5th or 6th beast Big East team (WVU). So, yes, the Big East is probably the best conference top to bottom. Yes the Big East had 8 teams in the dance and except Georgetown and UConn upsets, every team that lost was beaten by higher seeded teams. Throw in the fact that Cuse is running rough-shot in the NIT, and you have a pretty convincing argument for the Big East as the best conference.

I don't buy it. The ACC is always supposed to be a power conference. ACC's 2nd best team (Duke) was beaten by the 5th or 6th beast Big East team (WVU). So, yes, the Big East is probably the best conference top to bottom. Yes the Big East had 8 teams in the dance and except Georgetown and UConn upsets, every team that lost was beaten by higher seeded teams. Throw in the fact that Cuse is running rough-shot in the NIT, and you have a pretty convincing argument for the Big East as the best conference.

differnt years different stories,,big east last couple years has made very early exits for most of its 7 or 8 teams,,,

big ten in years before that...

in last few yeras acc has 5 , maybe 6 in and they last pretty far,,not this year though,,

each year different

Whats your beef with the Big East?

I have to hear misinformed BE fans crow about how they are better than the ACC when in the last 18 years they have sent a TOTAL of 5 teams to the Final Four.

The ACC was clearly down this year but our 4th to last place team beat your 2nd place team and overall we had a winning record against the BE. Top to bottom the BE is NOT the best conf, the bottom half of the BE is a complete joke, the top half has alot of good teams in it but they get the luxury of beating on the many weak teams in the BE.

You have 3 teams alive when you had 7 going into Saturday. That shows us the BE was NOT the best conf, you may not have a team reach the Elite Eight and please don't ever bring up NIT results in a legitimate argument about conferences.

Archived