From football.com- ranking of NFL head coaches

faba

The Herm bashers will be outraged when they see that he is ranked higher than the "geniuses", Shanahan, Billick, Lewis and Holmgren. Is it possible that only certain Jets fans think Herm is the worst coach in the league?

A few things..

1) John Fox as number 3? Based on what? A good turn around season? If it were based on that Herm has done that twice against big odds.

2) Nicky Saben at the end of the list. ha ha! Gotta go tell the wife (although she already hates him for no apparent reason. Maybe she has been talking to TomShane).

BZ

YAWN. WHAT EVER. Ranking Dungy anyplace but in the high 20s makes this pretty suspect. Quote re Dungy-"Were it not for his lack of producing in big games,..." what else is there? But for the iceberg, the Titanic had a wonderful maiden voyage.

Edwards ahead of Fisher, Mariucci, Holmgren and Billick? Don't think so.

Doesn't really matter-the coordinators will run the show this year for the Jets.

My own opinion is that Herm in the middle of the pack is about right- never will be the top flight head coach.

A guy that I think has not gotten a lot of credit and should be higher is Fisher of the Titans

That list is quite amusing. I'd like to point out that there are 12 Conference Championship rings and 5 Super Bowl rings on the hands of coaches ranked BEHIND Herman Edwards. How does this writer look himself in the face? Maybe if he stops watching the NFL commercials and starts watching actual games he'd realize what a f*cking joke Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards are. Oh, btw, before you pull out that 'racist' card, Bill Cowher at #5 is the biggest joke on the list.

That list is quite amusing. I'd like to point out that there are 12 Conference Championship rings and 5 Super Bowl rings on the hands of coaches ranked BEHIND Herman Edwards. How does this writer look himself in the face? Maybe if he stops watching the NFL commercials and starts watching actual games he'd realize what a f*cking joke Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards are. Oh, btw, before you pull out that 'racist' card, Bill Cowher at #5 is the biggest joke on the list.

You let me down. I was expecting so much better form you. Where is the fire? Where is the anger? Bring it baby.. bring it...

Here, I will start you off..

"HERM as number 11?!?!?! That is the most ludicrous thing ever typed into a keyboard. Herman Edwards couldn't coach a slug to leave a trail of slime. He couldn't get a player excited about free crack and hookers. Herm "Nice Guy" Edwards is nothing more than an x-player lost in the big NFL and hasn't done sh*t for the Jets and never will."

BZ

You let me down. I was expecting so much better form you. Where is the fire? Where is the anger? Bring it baby.. bring it...

Here, I will start you off..

"HERM as number 11?!?!?! That is the most ludicrous thing ever typed into a keyboard. Herman Edwards couldn't coach a slug to leave a trail of slime. He couldn't get a player excited about free crack and hookers. Herm "Nice Guy" Edwards is nothing more than an x-player lost in the big NFL and hasn't done Sh#t for the Jets and never will."

BZ

:lol::lol: Herm, by his own admission, does not "coach." He considers himself a "manager who delegates." I can't attack a person for failing to do a job he does not do. Right now he's walking into Mike Westhoff's office and asking him if his morale is low based on the lack of 'flair' that he's wearing. :lol:

I am shocked no comments yet that this writer has officially named Bellichick a certified genius - I guess the years in Cleveland though do not count

Most of the media is in love with the Pats right now

....and why shouldn't the media be in love with the Patriots? They are a class organization that others model themselves after. Taking three of the last four championships is a remarkable feat. They are a team that will go down in history as being one of the best.

Not that I wish to compare the Pats to the Yankees - the Yankees have a gazillion championships - but the Yankees are considered the "class" of MLB. The team everyone envies. The team everyone loves to hate. The team the media loves to death.

I guess the media plays up to the big boys.

1) Belichick

2) Reid

3) Parcells

4) Fox

5) Billick

6) Gruden

7) Fisher

8) Holgren

9) Mora Jr.

10) Shanahan

11) Vermeil

12) Cowher

13) Green

14) Lewis

15) Martz

16) Dungy

17) Schottenheimer

18) Edwards

19) Mariucci

20) Capers

21) Smith

22) Sherman

23) Tice

24) Coughlin

25) Mularkey

26) DelRio

27) Turner

28) Haslett

29) Turner

INC) Crennel, Nolan, Saban

Can someone explain #4, John Fox?

One season of a great turn around and he ranks in the top 5? Really?

BZ

He took an untalented team, stripped it down and brought it to the Super Bowl and within a few plays of knocking off the Pats in that Super Bowl due to some brilliant halftime adjustments. It was the first game in four seasons that Belichick had to actually fire a neuron to beat the coach across from him during a game. That elevates Fox automatically.

He took an untalented team, stripped it down and brought it to the Super Bowl and within a few plays of knocking off the Pats in that Super Bowl due to some brilliant halftime adjustments. It was the first game in four seasons that Belichick had to actually fire a neuron to beat the coach across from him during a game. That elevates Fox automatically.

So losing a Super Bowl put you above other people who have WON Super Bowls? Nice. I am sorry Levy retired, he could have ranked 1st by losing 4 Super Bowls. :)

BZ

So losing a Super Bowl put you above other people who have WON Super Bowls? Nice. I am sorry Levy retired, he could have ranked 1st by losing 4 Super Bowls. :)

BZ

The guy's been the coach there for, what, 4 years? They're an NFC power, have been to the Super Bowl and are one of the most physical, respected teams in the league. In general, the Jets are receiving no national respect because of the man in charge.

BZ, who would you hire right now if you were starting a franchise, Herm or Fox?

BZ, who would you hire right now if you were starting a franchise, Herm or Fox?

Come on... you know I am big Herm fan and since I know him better than any other coach in the league, I would pick Herm for the following reasons.

- Herm is an amazing person. He has a high integrity and high moral fiber. He is someone that the players can look up to and play hard for.

- He is an amazing motivator. He has gotten his teams to come up from horrible starts and finish off season's strong.

- Herm is a good coach. No, he is not the best. He is not an amazing general on the sidelines, but he is 4 years in the HC position and he is doing great. Yes, he is learning and in some ways learning on the Jets, but we get his energy and in the end, he has brought the Jets into some good positions to go all the way.

- I also love the Herm knows how to admit when it is his mistake and try to play to his strengths not his weaknesses. He makes changes to the team to help out his clock management. He makes changes to the team to bring in better OC/DC. He knows he can't run those systems so he brings in better talent who play the bad cop to his good cop.

So, yes, call me a Homer. Call me a Jets fan but I would take Herm Fox any day of the week and 5 times on Sunday.

I think history will show, 5, 10, 20 years down the line that Herman Edwards will be a great coach and remembered by the NFL for not only his on the field deeds but his off the field leadership.

BZ

Come on... you know I am big Herm fan and since I know him better than any other coach in the league, I would pick Herm for the following reasons.

- Herm is an amazing person. He has a high integrity and high moral fiber. He is someone that the players can look up to and play hard for.

- He is an amazing motivator. He has gotten his teams to come up from horrible starts and finish off season's strong.

- Herm is a good coach. No, he is not the best. He is not an amazing general on the sidelines, but he is 4 years in the HC position and he is doing great. Yes, he is learning and in some ways learning on the Jets, but we get his energy and in the end, he has brought the Jets into some good positions to go all the way.

- I also love the Herm knows how to admit when it is his mistake and try to play to his strengths not his weaknesses. He makes changes to the team to help out his clock management. He makes changes to the team to bring in better OC/DC. He knows he can't run those systems so he brings in better talent who play the bad cop to his good cop.

So, yes, call me a Homer. Call me a Jets fan but I would take Herm Fox any day of the week and 5 times on Sunday.

I think history will show, 5, 10, 20 years down the line that Herman Edwards will be a great coach and remembered by the NFL for not only his on the field deeds but his off the field leadership.

BZ

Wow.

:shock::shock::shock:

BZ

1) Bill Bellicheck is a horrible excuse for a human being, but he has 3 super bowl rings in 4 seasons. I don't care if Herm is the antichrist, I'd take championships over friendliness

2) You mean like when Herm "motivated" his buddy John Lynch AWAY from the Jets? Or when he "motivated" Chester McGlockton to lay around on his fat ass in front of the rest of the team? Or like when he "motivated" John Abraham to not get on the field to play hurt? Or like when Herm "motivated" Paul Hackett and Ted Cottrell not to change their ways for the benefit of the team? Or when Herm "motivated" leaders Curtis Martin, Chad Pennington and co. to play terribly in the big games ever since Oakland in 2002? Or like when Herm "motivated" his team to backing into the playoffs last season?

3) Herm costs teams games himself with poor decision-making abilities in the clutch. Good coaches don't shoot their teams in the foot. Not to mention, good coaches KNOW HOW TO CALL A FRIGGIN' PLAY WHEN NECESARRY.

4) You mean like when Herm "admitted his mistakes" by tossing everyone from Paul Hackett to Quincy Carter to the towel boy under the bus for the Ravens debacle?

1) Bill Bellicheck is a horrible excuse for a human being, but he has 3 super bowl rings in 4 seasons. I don't care if Herm is the antichrist, I'd take championships over friendliness

2) You mean like when Herm "motivated" his buddy John Lynch AWAY from the Jets? Or when he "motivated" Chester McGlockton to lay around on his fat a$$ in front of the rest of the team? Or like when he "motivated" John Abraham to not get on the field to play hurt? Or like when Herm "motivated" Paul Hackett and Ted Cottrell not to change their ways for the benefit of the team? Or when Herm "motivated" leaders Curtis Martin, Chad Pennington and co. to play terribly in the big games ever since Oakland in 2002? Or like when Herm "motivated" his team to backing into the playoffs last season?

3) Herm costs teams games himself with poor decision-making abilities in the clutch. Good coaches don't shoot their teams in the foot. Not to mention, good coaches KNOW HOW TO CALL A FRIGGIN' PLAY WHEN NECESARRY.

4) You mean like when Herm "admitted his mistakes" by tossing everyone from Paul Hackett to Quincy Carter to the towel boy under the bus for the Ravens debacle?

If you want to crap on Herm, please do it soundly, with clear arguments. Not angrily strung together jibberish...

2) You mean like when Herm "motivated" his buddy John Lynch AWAY from the Jets? Or when he "motivated" Chester McGlockton to lay around on his fat a$$ in front of the rest of the team? Or like when he "motivated" John Abraham to not get on the field to play hurt? Or like when Herm "motivated" Paul Hackett and Ted Cottrell not to change their ways for the benefit of the team? Or when Herm "motivated" leaders Curtis Martin, Chad Pennington and co. to play terribly in the big games ever since Oakland in 2002? Or like when Herm "motivated" his team to backing into the playoffs last season?

Outstanding post! =D>=D>=D>

Excellent retort to BZ's "fluff" piece on Hermy.

In Hermy's four years as HC, how many games can you point to and say without question "the Jets won that game on Hermy's coaching"? There isn't one.

On the other hand, how many games can you point to and say "the Jets lost that game because of poor coaching"? At least one every season.

Put it this way, if the over/under on games Herm will win purely on good coaching this season is 1, I take the under any day of the week, and take home millions from crying Hermophiles.

For the last time, Herm is a manager and not a coach. He said so himself.

I think Herm is a lousy manager, but a decent coach. Can't manage a game plan, can't manage a game clock, can't manage situational football. But he CAN teach someone to pass block, read zone packages and how to bump and run. He's a fantasatic preacher and one hell of a fire and brimstone speaker - except when he gets "flustrated." Hermie should be a DC, not an HC.

Archived