McFadden: MERGED

SUorangefootball

......"It was something new, having to sit down and take a bunch of notes," McFadden told the Daily News Wednesday.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - With less than six weeks until the NFL draft, the Jets have dispatched coaches and scouts to college campuses across the country to interview and test the top prospects. On Tuesday, running backs coach Jimmy Raye arrived at the University of Arkansas to huddle with Darren McFadden, whom many believe could be the Jets' choice with the sixth pick of the draft.

The Jets were the first team to have private time on campus with McFadden, according to the All-America running back. Raye and McFadden had lunch, but they spent most of their time in the classroom, along with two other Arkansas running backs. The Jets know McFadden can devour a defense - see 4,590 rushing yards and 41 touchdowns in three seasons - but they want to find out if he can digest a complex pro offense.

"It was something new, having to sit down and take a bunch of notes," McFadden told the Daily News Wednesday. "He was teaching pass protection. In college, we had only three or four (pass-protection schemes). I think he covered five or six. Then he had a little test that he made up."

This wasn't McFadden's first interaction with Jets personnel. At last month's scouting combine in Indianapolis, where he became one of the big stories by scorching the 40-yard dash in 4.33 seconds, McFadden was interviewed by a Jets contingent that included Eric Mangini.

as long as he can produce and win games for us, i wouldn't care if he was illiterate

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, some of you guys are seriously pretty pathetic when it comes to bashing McFadden. The guy has always been the focal point of the offense and at Arkansas he was in an offence where the best QB was probably himself. How the hell could he be a good pass blocker when he hasn't really got to put it into practice, there's only so much studying can do for the guy.

Only LSU fans ;)

2 years pro and you expect him to be a god. Im not fighting with you about RB's again lol

No, two years pro and I expect him to not be one of the worst RBs in the entire league.

RBs don't suddenly "figure it out" after a few years. They have it or they don't. Lynch and Peterson sure didn't have to figure anything out.

RBs are historically the dumbest position on the field. This is not a QB we're talking about here. Many RBs are dumb as a box of rocks. You can just look at Laurence Maroney and tell he's borderline retarded.

Patriot chases cheese, but does he chase mens?

By Cyd Zeigler jr.

Outsports.com

maroney_kiss.jpgThis is probably the strangest thing I've gotten to write about since St. Louis Blue Mike Danton tried to have his agent/Svengali/alleged lover killed. A picture has surfaced allegedly of New England Patriots running back Laurence Maroney sucking on the neck of a guy in a salmon-colored shirt, prompting some to claim that he is on the verge of coming out. Oh, but it gets weirder.

The picture (right) originated on Maroney's own Facebook page, which now seems to have disappeared (shocker there). It was accompanied by some bizarre quotes that don't seem to be English, including this one that some are pointing to as proof that Maroney is coming out of the closet:

"Your ass backwards if you chase hoes, chase the cheese they come with the ****."

The assertion is that "the cheese" is men. Urbandictionary.com has a lot of "hip" definitions of cheese, one of which is in fact, "A good friend who is committing an act that steps over the line." That would certainly fit the context. Another common use of "cheese" is some drug that combines Tylenol PM and heroin; given Maroney's decent rookie season, we'll shy away from making any connections to him there.

Other classic lines taken from his Facebook profile by various Web sites:

"wash u ass"

"bout time we got some construda in dis motha****a"

"u begul ****ting"

No idea what in hell "construda" or "begul" mean. Couldn't even venture a guess.

The story picked up steam over the weekend when gossip site Media Take Out posted the picture of Maroney with their own assessment. It isn't the first time the gossip site has fueled the flames of gay-athlete rumors: Last December the site announced that a New Jersey Net was bisexual and in a relationship with a man.

But what of this news? Is the Patriots' starting running back gay and on the verge of coming out? Call me crazy, but my hunch says no. Even if the guy whose neck Maroney is sucking on is wearing a salmon-colored shirt, there are far too many innocent explanations for the picture. And call me old-fashioned, but I still don't buy that Maroney would out himself by telling readers to "chase the cheese."

You can't blame the guy for not having to understand multiple blocking schemes when he only ran a few in college. I'll guarantee stewart will have the same problem running out of a spread offense. The only one who is an everydown back as of now is mendenhall who is exceptional at picking up blitzers.

Arkansas didn't have the most talented team or perhaps the best coaches, so they figured out a game plan that utilized their abilities and kept things simple. I would imagine if mcfadden was at a usc or even a notre dame, he would have been taking notes.

exactly, it's called the option! The most simplistic offense to learn and teach.

Yeah it seems that way during the Rob Ryan dealings. Does anybody know why Davis seems to hate the Jets so much ?

C'mon bro? Back in the late 60's and 70's (especially Nameth years) the Jets and Raiders wre a huge rivalry! 68 championship game, Heidi game (which was earlier that year)

Walt Michaels thought the locker room was bugged by Al Davis, he (Michaels) didn't like the players using the phones in the locker rooms.

Not if you ran the option in college.

Id say DE is the easiest, rush the passer or tackle the rb?

Top Linebackers seem to always adjust pretty quickly and play at a very high level. See the likes of Harris, Willis and Beason this year who were all excellent.

Same the year before with the likes of AJ Hawk and Ernie Simms.

Top Linebackers seem to always adjust pretty quickly and play at a very high level. See the likes of Harris, Willis and Beason this year who were all excellent.

Yeah, lb is somewhat easy, you really need to know when to drop into coverage and who to cover, play action usually kills younger lbers. Some are natural. Like the guys you mentioned.

The man has dominated the SEC for 3 years straight, he has dominated teams such as LSU, FLorida, Tennesee and Auburn, some of the best defenses around in terms of speed and talent.

Lets not forget that he's not even a damn Senior, he's entering the draft after his Junior season. Instead of playing his Senior season for the Razorbacks, he will be learning how the NFL works while working with players and coaches. While he plays his rookie season in the NFL, lets not forget... He should really be playing as a Senior for the Razorbacks, and in his 2nd year as an NFL runningback, he should really be a Rookie back. This kids talent and potential is amazing

Not only is he the Razorbacks #1 All Time Leading Rusher but he's also the SEC's #2 All Time leading rusher and finished as the Heisman Trophy Runner-Up 2 out of 3 years, thats impressive.

But yet... DMC Bashers get on him because he cant "Break tackles" Sorry that he's not a Bettis, Larry Johnson or even a Lendall White type of runningback, he has kids from different woman, his legs are like "Chicken legs", he doesnt know how to study or pick up a blitz... His coaches made him line up under center, he's not an NFL type of runningback, GET REAL.

If the Jets draft McFadden @#6, I will be doing back flips off of my roof but naked.

The man has dominated the SEC for 3 years straight, he has dominated teams such as LSU, FLorida, Tennesee and Auburn, some of the best defenses around in terms of speed and talent.

Lets not forget that he's not even a damn Senior, he's entering the draft after his Junior season. Instead of playing his Senior season for the Razorbacks, he will be learning how the NFL works while working with players and coaches. While he plays his rookie season in the NFL, lets not forget... He should really be playing as a Senior for the Razorbacks, and in his 2nd year as an NFL runningback, he should really be a Rookie back. This kids talent and potential is amazing

Not only is he the Razorbacks #1 All Time Leading Rusher but he's also the SEC's #2 All Time leading rusher and finished as the Heisman Trophy Runner-Up 2 out of 3 years, thats impressive.

But yet... DMC Bashers get on him because he cant "Break tackles" Sorry that he's not a Bettis, Larry Johnson or even a Lendall White type of runningback, he has kids from different woman, his legs are like "Chicken legs", he doesnt know how to study or pick up a blitz... His coaches made him line up under center, he's not an NFL type of runningback, GET REAL.

If the Jets draft McFadden @#6, I will be doing back flips off of my roof but naked.

Yeah, people need to take into consideration that Darren McFadden performed really well in probably the toughest conference in the NCAA. A conference where two straight SEC teams won the National Championship. I don't think I would ever call selecting McFadden a dumb pick. Sure, we got a good running back already in Thomas Jones, but who knows if McFadden really does have the potential to be as good as Peterson. I doubt it, but you never know.

I agree, but then you also have those A.Schegel type of LB's

I agree

But then you have those A.Schegel type of LB-ers. I was so scared when we drafted Davis Harris last year, but it worked out perfect for this 3-4 Defense.

I agree

But then you have those A.Schegel type of LB-ers. I was so scared when we drafted Davis Harris last year, but it worked out perfect for this 3-4 Defense.

I was psyched when we drafted him, especially he was projected to go when we took Revis!!

Yeah, people need to take into consideration that Darren McFadden performed really well in probably the toughest conference in the NCAA. A conference where two straight SEC teams won the National Championship. I don't think I would ever call selecting McFadden a dumb pick. Sure, we got a good running back already in Thomas Jones, but who knows if McFadden really does have the potential to be as good as Peterson. I doubt it, but you never know.

He didn't play in the Big 10!

Not if you ran the option in college.

Id say DE is the easiest, rush the passer or tackle the rb?

McFadden did not play in an option offense. It was just a package. Against LSU, they just happened to stay in that package the entire game because we couldn't stop the option if our life depended on it.

Patriot chases cheese, but does he chase mens?

By Cyd Zeigler jr.

Outsports.com

maroney_kiss.jpgThis is probably the strangest thing I've gotten to write about since St. Louis Blue Mike Danton tried to have his agent/Svengali/alleged lover killed. A picture has surfaced allegedly of New England Patriots running back Laurence Maroney sucking on the neck of a guy in a salmon-colored shirt, prompting some to claim that he is on the verge of coming out. Oh, but it gets weirder.

The picture (right) originated on Maroney's own Facebook page, which now seems to have disappeared (shocker there). It was accompanied by some bizarre quotes that don't seem to be English, including this one that some are pointing to as proof that Maroney is coming out of the closet:

"Your ass backwards if you chase hoes, chase the cheese they come with the ****."

The assertion is that "the cheese" is men. Urbandictionary.com has a lot of "hip" definitions of cheese, one of which is in fact, "A good friend who is committing an act that steps over the line." That would certainly fit the context. Another common use of "cheese" is some drug that combines Tylenol PM and heroin; given Maroney's decent rookie season, we'll shy away from making any connections to him there.

Other classic lines taken from his Facebook profile by various Web sites:

"wash u ass"

"bout time we got some construda in dis motha****a"

"u begul ****ting"

No idea what in hell "construda" or "begul" mean. Couldn't even venture a guess.

The story picked up steam over the weekend when gossip site Media Take Out posted the picture of Maroney with their own assessment. It isn't the first time the gossip site has fueled the flames of gay-athlete rumors: Last December the site announced that a New Jersey Net was bisexual and in a relationship with a man.

But what of this news? Is the Patriots' starting running back gay and on the verge of coming out? Call me crazy, but my hunch says no. Even if the guy whose neck Maroney is sucking on is wearing a salmon-colored shirt, there are far too many innocent explanations for the picture. And call me old-fashioned, but I still don't buy that Maroney would out himself by telling readers to "chase the cheese."

this is one of the funniest things i have ever read.

wtf is begul and construda?

No, but you'd think sitting down and taking notes might be something with which a college student would be familiar.

nah

i dont do any of my word and im in highs school

cuz as long as i win on tha basketball court and tha football feild they take care of it fo me

ok seriously, i hate to rain on the parade here, but the gholston and/or dmc threads are getting out of hand. how many are we gonna start about who is more valuable and who we should trade and who we need more? seriously guys, reference an old one if u have anything to say. i think we have beat the topic to death a hundred times over

ok seriously, i hate to rain on the parade here, but the gholston and/or dmc threads are getting out of hand. how many are we gonna start about who is more valuable and who we should trade and who we need more? seriously guys, reference an old one if u have anything to say. i think we have beat the topic to death a hundred times over

sorry to rain on your parade but that's not how things roll here. Let the mods handle which posts should be combined. Just enjoy the ride, if you don't like a post, dont' read it.

Archived