Jordan Close to signing with the Raiders

RSJ

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...ort=NFL&id=5496

Latest News Mar. 2, 2005 - 3:37 pm et

The Raiders and LaMont Jordan are in serious negotiations and could complete a deal by the end of the day.

The fears about Oakland's salary cap situation were unfounded. If Jordan ends up in Oakland, we'd project him as a top 15 running back with plenty of room to run considering their wide receiver group.

I can't belive we're losing Lamont Jordan to the Raiders ... because of f**kin Grandpa Curtis Martin and his obscene contract ](*,)

Yeah that's right, I said it ... GRANDPA COST US JORDAN!! ](*,)

Agreed.

Anyone that would rather have Martin than Jordan is thinking with their heart and not their head.

I can't belive we're losing Lamont Jordan to the Raiders ... because of f**kin Grandpa Curtis Martin and his obscene contract ](*,)

Yeah that's right, I said it ... GRANDPA COST US JORDAN!! ](*,)

But Ham, "Grandpa" led the entire National Football League in rushing last year. :wink:

Lmaont is doing just what Coles, Morton and Hall did - they bolted a team that can be really good and went to a team that is going no wherejust looking they are just looking for a big pay day...

- I don;t care if they have Moss and Sapp - Oakland is a 6-10 team at best next season and

I wish him luck

I'll say something you may find reassuring or frightening.

No RB has ever had the level of success at Martin's age that he has had.

None.

Running backs who ran for 1220 or more yards at age 30:

Emmit Smith:

30 yo season: 1397 yards, 4.2 ypc

31 yo season: 1203 yards, 4.1 ypc

32 yo season: 1021 yards, 3.9 ypc

33 yo season: 975 yards, 3.8 ypc

34 yo season: 256 yards, 2.8 ypc

retired

Walter Payton

30 yo season: 1684 yards, 4.4 ypc

31 yo season: 1551 yards, 4.8 ypc

32 yo season: 1333 yards, 4.2 ypc

33 yo season: 533 yards, 3.7 ypc

34 yo season: retired

Curtis Martin:

30 yo season: 1308 yards, 4.0 ypc

31 yo season: 1697 yards, 4.6 ypc

32 yo season: pending

Corey Dillon:

30 yo season: 1635 yards, 4.7 ypc

31 yo season: pending

I've been saying since it was signed that 1) Martin's extension was stupid, shortsighted, criminally risky, and a MAJOR mistake by Bradway. 2) the way it's structured the Jets are married to Martin for another few years still.... too much bonus money to cut him.

It's worked out fairly well--- if Martin had fallen off the map two years ago you guys would have been f***ed--- but it was still a bad move.

This is one of the consequences.

The "other" site is claimimg it might be a sign and trade because the raiders do not have the money to sign Lamont.

The 15-year olds should realize that sign-and-trades just do not happen in the NFL.

We're either losing Jordan for nothing or keeping him. There's no middle ground and it's looking like we're losing him for nothing more and more.

The "other" site is claimimg it might be a sign and trade because the raiders do not have the money to sign Lamont.

I know you are just relaying this. But that is such a rediculous idea I'm shocked that the thread hasn't been locked. How are the Jets going to absorb a 10 million dollar cap hit to trade Jordan? He is a UFA and his contract will be relatively cheap over the first year or two.

The 15-year olds should realize that sign-and-trades just do not happen in the NFL.

We're either losing Jordan for nothing or keeping him. There's no middle ground and it's looking like we're losing him for nothing more and more.

the credibility of that site has nose dived

I'l be interested to see what Dinger has in store for Martin. Dinger had a quick hook when Eddie George started to lose it, and he doesn't seem like a guy wh's going to be happy with an 8-yard swing pass that could have been a 12-yard swing pass if someone quicker than Martin was catching it. IMO, whoever is the Jets No. 2 back next year is going to see ALOT of action.

Lmaont is doing just what Coles, Morton and Hall did - they bolted a team that can be really good and went to a team that is going no wherejust looking they are just looking for a big pay day...

- I don;t care if they have Moss and Sapp - Oakland is a 6-10 team at best next season and

I wish him luck

Why Did you leave out Martin who left the Pats

for a Big Fat Contract?? :roll:

I know you are just relaying this. But that is such a rediculous idea I'm shocked that the thread hasn't been locked. How are the Jets going to absorb a 10 million dollar cap hit to trade Jordan? He is a UFA and his contract will be relatively cheap over the first year or two.

Not that it matters, because I believe what you are saying, but there was a link that included the PROBABLY NON fact that the Jets and raiders were talking...

that's all i was stating.

I'll say something you may find reassuring or frightening.

No RB has ever had the level of success at Martin's age that he has had.

None.

Running backs who ran for 1220 or more yards at age 30:

Emmit Smith:

30 yo season: 1397 yards, 4.2 ypc

31 yo season: 1203 yards, 4.1 ypc

32 yo season: 1021 yards, 3.9 ypc

33 yo season: 975 yards, 3.8 ypc

34 yo season: 256 yards, 2.8 ypc

retired

Walter Payton

30 yo season: 1684 yards, 4.4 ypc

31 yo season: 1551 yards, 4.8 ypc

32 yo season: 1333 yards, 4.2 ypc

33 yo season: 533 yards, 3.7 ypc

34 yo season: retired

Curtis Martin:

30 yo season: 1308 yards, 4.0 ypc

31 yo season: 1697 yards, 4.6 ypc

32 yo season: pending

Corey Dillon:

30 yo season: 1635 yards, 4.7 ypc

31 yo season: pending

I've been saying since it was signed that 1) Martin's extension was stupid, shortsighted, criminally risky, and a MAJOR mistake by Bradway. 2) the way it's structured the Jets are married to Martin for another few years still.... too much bonus money to cut him.

It's worked out fairly well--- if Martin had fallen off the map two years ago you guys would have been f***ed--- but it was still a bad move.

This is one of the consequences.

No one has been more outspoken about that big Contract given to a 29 yr old(At the Time)Martin!

In 2001 after seeing what Jordan could do I thought

they would have let his old contract from 98 run out!

Martin to me is a good Durable Runner who gets ALL

THE CARRIES! 370 last year at the age of 30-31!!

He doesn't do squat against good Teams..Jordan could

have! Hey how come none of you Guys ever piped in on

the JI board and helped me out?? :( Not that I needed

it.. :lol:

if the JETS had let the old contract run out the cap hit in Martins last year would have been so great (over 10M) it would have crippled the team. They needed to sign Mawae and others - no way that happens with Curtis operating on his old contract -

remember they made the playoffs that year and the fans would have thrown Herm and Terry under the bus if they hadn't

the JETS had no choice in the matter - the contract Parcells gave in 98 was a cap killer and it had to be restructured/extended - there was no choice at all.

No one has been more outspoken about that big Contract given to a 29 yr old(At the Time)Martin!

Oh I could think of someone. A certain guy on a different board altogether in fact. You grumpy old men are all the same. :o

if the JETS had let the old contract run out the cap hit in Martins last year would have been so great (over 10M) it would have crippled the team. They needed to sign Mawae and others - no way that happens with Curtis operating on his old contract -

remember they made the playoffs that year and the fans would have thrown Herm and Terry under the bus if they hadn't

the JETS had no choice in the matter - the contract Parcells gave in 98 was a cap killer and it had to be restructured/extended - there was no choice at all.

There's always a choice.

Sometimes you have to cut bait.

There's always a choice.

Sometimes you have to cut bait.

It was unfortunate chronology with Martin. His contract was not meant to allay future concerns. All it did was make sure Tuna got his back signed for the Super Bowl run. Granted, we're talking about a guy who led the league in rushing last year, so it's not like he's dead weight. IMO, if we draft a nice, young back on the first day this year, it's all moot anyway. Eric Shelton anyone?

How Big was that first Contract Bit?? Even in the 4th

year Martin had 10 million coming?? :shock:

It was unfortunate chronology with Martin. His contract was not meant to allay future concerns. All it did was make sure Tuna got his back signed for the Super Bowl run. Granted, we're talking about a guy who led the league in rushing last year, so it's not like he's dead weight. IMO, if we draft a nice, young back on the first day this year, it's all moot anyway. Eric Shelton anyone?

Tom Martin led the League in Rushing for several

reasons..Priest Holmes was Hurt! Dillion didn't play

15 Games and Alexander only need 1 more Carry to beat

Martin and Holmgren wouldn't give it to him! Oh and

Martin had 370 carries far more than the other Backs!

And with all that he won by 1 yard!!LOL

Tom Martin led the League in Rushing for several

reasons..Priest Holmes was Hurt! Dillion didn't play

15 Games and Alexander only need 1 more Carry to beat

Martin and Holmgren wouldn't give it to him! Oh and

Martin had 370 carries far more than the other Backs!

And with all that he won by 1 yard!!LOL

Sav, I'm with you. I was the one who said that Martin wouldn't get 1500 yards last season if you dropped him out of a plane flying 1500 yards above the ground.

Archived