Robertson Fails Denver Physical

Mavrik

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't the Patriots go ahead and select Wilfork also in that draft? Very good move taking Robertson over Wilfork. Bradway is a ****ing joke... SIGH... I hate D-Slob...

Casey Hampton got drafted a few picks later. Who did their homework in that draft.

Ya know people knock Tannenbaum, but in the two years he's been gm, i love the picks he's made and the trades he's conducted. I'm confident he'll do even better this year

It's really sad knowing that Vilma got traded because he wasnt a "3-4 IMLB" I honestly believe that Vilma was playing 2 years behind a 4-3 DT TRYING to play the role of a 3-4 NT when he couldnt even pass a freaking team physical

Vilma himself was too small.

Both were too undersized for the defence and both needed to go IMO.

Casey Hampton got drafted a few picks later. Who did their homework in that draft.

Nah.... this is all wrong. Wilfork wasn't in that draft, it was Warren. Casey Hampton wasn't in '03 he was in '01. The Jets actually traded up with Pittsburgh to get Moss in '01. They probably wouldn't have had as much use for Hampton in the cover 2 anyway. Robertson has not been the most successful pick, but the other DTs that year included Jonathan Sullivan, Jimmy Kennedy and William Joseph. DRob is an absolute monster compared to that bunch of stiffs. You could probably fuse his knee and he would still be comparable. Only one that turned out to be anything was Kevin Williams and I'm pretty sure Williams present contract dwarfs DRob's.

It's really sad knowing that Vilma got traded because he wasnt a "3-4 IMLB" I honestly believe that Vilma was playing 2 years behind a 4-3 DT TRYING to play the role of a 3-4 NT when he couldnt even pass a freaking team physical

Harris didn't seem to have too much trouble.

Nah.... this is all wrong. Wilfork wasn't in that draft, it was Warren. Casey Hampton wasn't in '03 he was in '01. The Jets actually traded up with Pittsburgh to get Moss in '01. They probably wouldn't have had as much use for Hampton in the cover 2 anyway. Robertson has not been the most successful pick, but the other DTs that year included Jonathan Sullivan, Jimmy Kennedy and William Joseph. DRob is an absolute monster compared to that bunch of stiffs. You could probably fuse his knee and he would still be comparable. Only one that turned out to be anything was Kevin Williams and I'm pretty sure Williams present contract dwarfs DRob's.

Kevin Williams appears to have signed with a $16M SB on a 6-yr extension at the end of '06 (not counting a 2 yr team option to make it 8 yrs):

2007-3,000,000 (approx cap hit 5.7M)

2008-1,000,000 (approx cap hit 2.7M)

2009-1,000,000 (approx cap hit 2.7M)

2010-2,274,000 (approx cap hit 4.9M)

2011-6,000,000 (approx cap hit 8.7M)

2012-6,000,000 (approx cap hit 8.7M)

DRob's rookie contract - back in 2003 - was bigger in gross dollars. In relative terms, it was MUCH bigger. Williams wouldn't have an $11-12M cap hit in any year of his contract either. By the time it gets up to that almost-$9M range (in cap value, not one-year compensation), the salary cap should be in the $130-140M range, assuming there's a new CBA extension.

But those other 3 stiffs aren't anywhere near DRob's level. What we got out of him was a legitimate NFL starter. So he wasn't a total bust from that standpoint. But when you give the guy a contract that size & trade so much to get him, you are paying for a star in more ways than one.

It should be noted that Tannenbaum put DRob's contract together, though it is possible that he simply had no leverage after Bradway traded so much away to get him. Can you imagine if he held out after we used 3 picks on him (including two first rounders)?

Kevin Williams appears to have signed with a $16M SB on a 6-yr extension at the end of '06 (not counting a 2 yr team option to make it 8 yrs):

2007-3,000,000 (approx cap hit 5.7M)

2008-1,000,000 (approx cap hit 2.7M)

2009-1,000,000 (approx cap hit 2.7M)

2010-2,274,000 (approx cap hit 4.9M)

2011-6,000,000 (approx cap hit 8.7M)

2012-6,000,000 (approx cap hit 8.7M)

DRob's rookie contract - back in 2003 - was bigger in gross dollars. In relative terms, it was MUCH bigger. Williams wouldn't have an $11-12M cap hit in any year of his contract either. By the time it gets up to that almost-$9M range (in cap value, not one-year compensation), the salary cap should be in the $130-140M range, assuming there's a new CBA extension.

But those other 3 stiffs aren't anywhere near DRob's level. What we got out of him was a legitimate NFL starter. So he wasn't a total bust from that standpoint. But when you give the guy a contract that size & trade so much to get him, you are paying for a star in more ways than one.

It should be noted that Tannenbaum put DRob's contract together, though it is possible that he simply had no leverage after Bradway traded so much away to get him. Can you imagine if he held out after we used 3 picks on him (including two first rounders)?

I didn't know the numbers, just that Williams signed what I remember termed as a monster deal. DRob has been in a tough situation most of his career and has performed relatively well. I still think he could flourish in the right situation. IIRC Sullivan and Kennedy were the two that he leapfroged. I certainly agree he has not performed up to his contract and trading those picks, but we could have been a hell of a lot worse off. I remember Rams fans being all excited that Jimmy Kennedy dropped to them. They aren't so happy now.

I keep hearing that story about Josh Evans suspension. I'm not sure of the validity, but I wonder if that contributed to Bradway giving that huge deal. They couldn't exactly live with a holdout or having him unready for the start of the season.

I remember when Dumbway first traded up for this piece of crap in '03. I hated the move back then. Had arguments with Jets fans who loved it and thought it was a gutsy move and it was going to give us the pass rush and run-stopping we didn't have before.

What a disaster.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda! Robertson tried. He's from Herm's tenure, maybe the Chiefs can use him. He doesn't fit in to the Jets scheme now, so he's gone. No matter where he goes, he'll do his best for them. As Sperm mentioned a while back, he doesn't hurt our cap to any extent and our Jets FA is moving in the right direction. So, goodbye and good luck D'Wayne Robertson if not now, after June 1, 2008. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.:bag:

Coulda, woulda, shoulda! Robertson tried. He's from Herm's tenure, maybe the Chiefs can use him. He doesn't fit in to the Jets scheme now, so he's gone. No matter where he goes, he'll do his best for them. As Sperm mentioned a while back, he doesn't hurt our cap to any extent and our Jets FA is moving in the right direction. So, goodbye and good luck D'Wayne Robertson if not now, after June 1, 2008. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.:bag:

Hurt? Moving him helps tremendously whether he's traded or just cut with no compensation.

OK here's DRob's stuff:

SB1 amort = $428,571 per year (2 yrs left)

SB2 amort = $1.666M per year (2 yrs left)

Deion Sanders Reallocation (we took extra $704K hits from '04-'06 & now get them back from '07-'09) = $-703,868 (a credit), also 2 more yrs

Total = $1.391M to hit the cap if kept (in addition to salary & RB's) for '08 and '09.

DRob's 2008 cap # is

$6.8M salary

$3.0M RB

$1.391M SB's amort

-----------------

$11,191,369 total (if kept without renegotiating; not happening)

Cut/trade him before 6/1 = double the SB amort & that's the cap hit b/c the 2009 #'s will accelerate to 2008 = $2.782M, which is a NET savings of $8.409M.

If we allocate him as a post-6/1 cut (even if done on 6/1 or earlier), then we save a net of $9.8M in 2008, but would have $1.391M dead cap from him in 2009.

Archived