Garrard wants more $$$ than Tony Romeo - per Yahoo.com

Garrard wants more money than Romo

The agent for quarterback David Garrard said he hopes to reach a deal with the Jaguars in the next few days but left open the possibility the two sides won't agree on a new contract this year according to the Times-Union.

"Nothing is any different today than it was two months ago,'' Al Irby said Wednesday, despite a report on the NFL Network that the two sides would reach a deal soon. "Maybe this week, maybe next week. It could take two days, two weeks or not get done at all. This is the way negotiations go. One minute you're going down the right track, but then a snag can set you back.''

When the talks started at the end of last season, the Jaguars were offering money in the range of what quarterback Matt Schaub received, and Garrard wanted to top Tony Romo's contract, Irby said. Schaub was given a six-year, $48 million deal after being traded by Atlanta to Houston. Romo received a six-year, $67 million deal from the Dallas Cowboys. Romo also got $30 million in guaranteed money. Because Romo has yet to win a postseason game and Garrard led the Jaguars to a playoff victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers last January, Irby was comfortable in attempting to top Romo's contract.

Source: Times-Union

He probably is a better QB, but c'mon after 1 season? Is his contract really up? It was a bad idea to hand the starting job to a guy that was only under contract for that season if that's true. If it isn't, this guy really needs to play at least another half season or so. Romo didn't get his big contract after only one year himself, and Romo was putting up insane numbers last season for awhile, if not to finish. He was behind only Brady at one point pretty deep into the season if I recall.

When Garrard can actually throw TDs and lead his team down the field through the air, he can start asking for superstar money. But until then, when I actually saw him having to air it out, he threw a slew of INTs.

Well he did actually win a playoff game and has shown he can be a top tier QB, but i wouldn't give him that money nor would i have given romo that money. It's not necessarily he who is asking for it, but his agent who knows he is in a good place to demand it. His agent knows Girrard played tremendously last season and actually won a playoff game, whereas romo has had good numbers but fails in the big stage. It's always crappy haggling with the money, but i for one wouldn't mind having to go through this problem if it meant we had a QB we know could play at that level.

The agent for quarterback David Garrard said he hopes to reach a deal with the Jaguars in the next few days but left open the possibility the two sides won't agree on a new contract this year according to the Times-Union.

"Nothing is any different today than it was two months ago,'' Al Irby said Wednesday, despite a report on the NFL Network that the two sides would reach a deal soon. "Maybe this week, maybe next week. It could take two days, two weeks or not get done at all. This is the way negotiations go. One minute you're going down the right track, but then a snag can set you back.''

When the talks started at the end of last season, the Jaguars were offering money in the range of what quarterback Matt Schaub received, and Garrard wanted to top Tony Romo's contract, Irby said. Schaub was given a six-year, $48 million deal after being traded by Atlanta to Houston. Romo received a six-year, $67 million deal from the Dallas Cowboys. Romo also got $30 million in guaranteed money. Because Romo has yet to win a postseason game and Garrard led the Jaguars to a playoff victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers last January, Irby was comfortable in attempting to top Romo's contract.

Good for Garrard. Romo has more talent around him and hasn't been nearly as clutch as Garrard in big games. He absolutely should be paid the same as Romo.

Of course, both of them would then be overpaid - but that's for another day.

The Romo contract is starting to bring back that same Pennington contract feeling, maybe just too much to soon.

thats funny

Please explain how he's not, because he's not as flashy??? Because he doesn't make as many headlines???

He's been just as successful in his limited time with much less help. Oh and he's also stepped up when he gets to the playoffs, unlike Romo.

When Garrard can actually throw TDs and lead his team down the field through the air, he can start asking for superstar money. But until then, when I actually saw him having to air it out, he threw a slew of INTs.

Did you watch him:

vs The Pats??

Vs The Chargers???

Vs The Titans???

:confused0088:

Garrard defineatly made a strong point right there.

Did you watch him:

vs The Pats??

Vs The Chargers???

Vs The Titans???

:confused0088:

I saw him lose against the Pats, throwing 2 TDs and 1 INT, and unable to move the team into the endzone at the end of the game, when the Pats decided to shut down the run. The fourth quarter wasn't even close, essentially the Pats blew them out. In that type of game, you need to put up more than 20 points on the day. Herm philosophy doesn't cut it.

Against the Chargers he threw for 2 TDs and less than 200 yards in the air. Thats another game manager game. That game was won on the ground, and just barely.

He played against the Titans only in a Week 1 loss. He managed all of 10 points, with only 1 TD.

Romo has far greater production and is called on to win games through the air. Romo throws for more yards and TDs, and as we learned from the Chadington error, generally the QBs that throw for a lot of yards and TDs are the better ones, and are more valuable.

I saw him lose against the Pats, throwing 2 TDs and 1 INT, and unable to move the team into the endzone at the end of the game, when the Pats decided to shut down the run. The fourth quarter wasn't even close, essentially the Pats blew them out. In that type of game, you need to put up more than 20 points on the day. Herm philosophy doesn't cut it.

Against the Chargers he threw for 2 TDs and less than 200 yards in the air. Thats another game manager game. That game was won on the ground, and just barely.

He played against the Titans only in a Week 1 loss. He managed all of 10 points, with only 1 TD.

Romo has far greater production and is called on to win games through the air. Romo throws for more yards and TDs, and as we learned from the Chadington error, generally the QBs that throw for a lot of yards and TDs are the better ones, and are more valuable.

WTF are you talking about???

He hit Dennis Northcutt in that hands for what would have been the game tying TD, he was by far and away their best player that day and if you think otherwise you're insane. He kept them in it, the team went and lost it.

The INT came when it was all but over, he was obviously forcing it.

Garrard was spectacular all season long, he just wasn't asked to do as much as Romo. Everything he was asked to do, he did very, very well.

He hit Dennis Northcutt in that hands for what would have been the game tying TD, he was by far and away their best player that day and if you think otherwise you're insane. He kept them in it, the team went and lost it.

Garrard was spectacular all season long, he just wasn't asked to do as much as Romo. Everything he was asked to do, he did very, very well.

If an opinion is different than yours, immediately express incredulity, as that is proof of the correctness of your position huh?

I gave you stats, you reply with your feelings. You are a woman.

If an opinion is different than yours, immediately express incredulity, as that is proof of the correctness of your position huh?

I gave you stats, you reply with your feelings. You are a woman.

Did you watch the game at all????

Northcutt dropped a perfectly thrown ball that would have tied the game, where did that show up in your stats????

He moved them into the endzone, Northcutt moved them back out. Also you said the 'Pats decided to shut down the run'??? The Jags were never running the ball effectively in that game, the passing game was their offence.

That last comment was very immature BTW, I thought you were better than that TBH.

Did you watch the game at all????

Northcutt dropped a perfectly thrown ball that would have tied the game, where did that show up in your stats????

He moved them into the endzone, Northcutt moved them back out. Also you said the 'Pats decided to shut down the run'??? The Jags were never running the ball effectively in that game, the passing game was their offence.

That last comment was very immature BTW, I thought you were better than that TBH.

You are the one being immature. There is a difference between debating and basically attacking the other person for seeing something differently than you. That is what you appear to be doing.

Yes I watched the games. And I think Garrard is a game manager. I hate Romo but he is a playmaker. You don't give game managers game breaker type of money.

You are the one being immature. There is a difference between debating and basically attacking the other person for seeing something differently than you. That is what you appear to be doing.

Yes I watched the games. And I think Garrard is a game manager. I hate Romo but he is a playmaker. You don't give game managers game breaker type of money.

How in the name of sweet Jesus did I insult or attack you??? How???

There is the post:

I's disagreeing with you yes. I just said that in that game Garrard was BY FAR the Jags best player. His throws were spectacular. If not for a pitiful defensive display and some awful recieving he could have won the game. Who knows???

I personally think Garrard is more than a game manager, simply because evertime he was asked to put the ball in the air he done it very effectively. (I admit he stuggled vs the Steelers but came through big at the end).

If you disagree about whether or not he's a game manager or playmaker that's fair enough but I don't know how anyone can say he was not GREAT in that Pats game were he was basically carrying the team. That was the main point I took objection to.

Archived