jet fans need to ask themselves...

scionce

do you want a championship? or are you just interested in scoring points? most fans are dying for mcfadden's "homerun hitting" ability (which i still don't believe in because his legs are too skinny), but they're not thinking about the team being able to stop the more high-powered offenses of the league from scoring big. what does it matter if we can score 30 points a game if we allow opponents to score 40 a game?

i want a championship. the giants proved the proverb true in the last superbowl. and i know there are those who like to think that the jint O won the game for them, but with a minute or so left on the clock, real jet fans know that was more than enough time for brady to get down the field and score. if any of you can remember, the game pretty much ended on jay alford's sack of brady. let me re-iterate that for you all, it wasn't a homerun hitting RB that won the game, it was a QB sack.

those who really paid any attention to the entire season will also note that the patriots scored a record 589 points on the season. that's roughly 37 points a game. what was the superbowl final score? 17-14 jints? anyone wanna tell me that the giant RBs kept the pat offense in check? please, anyone, tell me it was the RBs that kept the pats from scoring their routine 35-38 points a game...

i have absolutely no interest in watching us score 30 or more points a game if, in the end, we're still losing because we couldn't get to the opposing team's QB, or get a TO, or stop the run. defense wins championships, offense fills seats. ask yourselves jet fans: do you want a superbowl title or do you only care about scoring points?

• Upvote 1

do you want a championship? or are you just interested in scoring points? most fans are dying for mcfadden's "homerun hitting" ability (which i still don't believe in because his legs are too skinny), but they're not thinking about the team being able to stop the more high-powered offenses of the league from scoring big. what does it matter if we can score 30 points a game if we allow opponents to score 40 a game?

i want a championship. the giants proved the proverb true in the last superbowl. and i know there are those who like to think that the jint O won the game for them, but with a minute or so left on the clock, real jet fans know that was more than enough time for brady to get down the field and score. if any of you can remember, the game pretty much ended on jay alford's sack of brady. let me re-iterate that for you all, it wasn't a homerun hitting RB that won the game, it was a QB sack.

those who really paid any attention to the entire season will also note that the patriots scored a record 589 points on the season. that's roughly 37 points a game. what was the superbowl final score? 17-14 jints? anyone wanna tell me that the giant RBs kept the pat offense in check? please, anyone, tell me it was the RBs that kept the pats from scoring their routine 35-38 points a game...

i have absolutely no interest in watching us score 30 or more points a game if, in the end, we're still losing because we couldn't get to the opposing team's QB, or get a TO, or stop the run. defense wins championships, offense fills seats. ask yourselves jet fans: do you want a superbowl title or do you only care about scoring points?

I just want you to know why does it have to be one or the other... we made the moves in free agency... so that we can pick a guy like mcfadden... The D is fine... alot better then it was last year...

I understand what u mean..but drafting a defensive player the guarantee we have an elite d all of a sudden... as for mcfaddens skinny legs... thats probaly the only knock against him..but still didnt stop him from tearing college football up the past two years..

I know..nfl is different.. but is mcfadden the only running back to have skinny legs?? also hes what 20 years old?? maybe he will add weight? maybe he wil work on his legs... who knows? but he is rated the top player in this years draft with the biggest upside... so why not us?

I knew after your first post that you were just another McFadden hater, but thats besides the point.

The Giants run a 4-3 Defense where thier two defensive ends are the ones who put the pressure on the QB in Strahan and Osi- The Jets run a 3-4 where the heart of the 3-4 are the NT and MLB positions, we now have a true NT in Jenkins and a real 3-4 IMLB in David Harris, things are looking great for this Jets defense. Gholston would be great for the D but McFadden could also be amazing for this Jets offense.

I guess your right, I guess LT means nothing to the Chargers, I guess the Vikings made the biggest mistake in sporting history by drafting Peterson, I guess the injury to Steven Jackson didnt hurt the Rams last year, I guess having a great RB means nothing in todays game

• Thumb Down 1

You are absolutely right. Defense wins championships. Especially in a league that has the Patriots. The Giants are the only team inn the NFL that could have beat the Pats in the SB. That is because the far from perfect 10-6 wildcard Giants had the kind of defense that could beat the Pats.

The Jets live in the same division as the Pats. If the Jets don't beat the Pats and win the division, they are not going anywhere. I love the Jenkins trade and the Pace acquisition is intriguing. But they have to do more with the D.

I knew after your first post that you were just another McFadden hater, but thats besides the point.

The Giants run a 4-3 Defense where thier two defensive ends are the ones who put the pressure on the QB in Strahan and Osi- The Jets run a 3-4 where the heart of the 3-4 are the NT and MLB positions, we now have a true NT in Jenkins and a real 3-4 IMLB in David Harris, things are looking great for this Jets defense. Gholston would be great for the D but McFadden could also be amazing for this Jets offense.

I guess your right, I guess LT means nothing to the Chargers, I guess the Vikings made the biggest mistake in sporting history by drafting Peterson, I guess the injury to Steven Jackson didnt hurt the Rams last year, I guess having a great RB means nothing in todays game

There is nothing wrong with building your offense, I think the point is defense is more important. The Chargers could not beat the Pats. The Vikings and Rams would not be able to beat the Pats. I love the jet offensive pickups. They just need more defense. I think that will be the focus of the draft.

you already acknowledged that the nfl is different, so you know that mcfadden will not run as rampant as he did at the collegiate level. everyone is faster, stronger and smarter in the pro game. moreover, i don't think adding bulk to the legs is an easily achieved feat. where RB is concerned, with the amount of poundin they take, having skinny legs could be highly detrimental. pro defenses will know to target mcfadden's legs because he's so top-heavy. that could easily translate into broken legs, knee injuries, and so on and so forth. if that holds true, what good is having all that talent if it's going to spend a lot of time on IR or the PUP? people are going to say, he wasn't injured much in college and that he ran through defenders breaking tackles left and right. to them i say: stop watching the highlight reels put together by the arkansas coaches and PR dept. and if you can't stop watching that, count how many of the tackles he broke were arm tackles. and please, please stop thinking that college Ds are equivalent to pro Ds.

you already acknowledged that the nfl is different, so you know that mcfadden will not run as rampant as he did at the collegiate level. everyone is faster, stronger and smarter in the pro game. moreover, i don't think adding bulk to the legs is an easily achieved feat. where RB is concerned, with the amount of poundin they take, having skinny legs could be highly detrimental. pro defenses will know to target mcfadden's legs because he's so top-heavy. that could easily translate into broken legs, knee injuries, and so on and so forth. if that holds true, what good is having all that talent if it's going to spend a lot of time on IR or the PUP? people are going to say, he wasn't injured much in college and that he ran through defenders breaking tackles left and right. to them i say: stop watching the highlight reels put together by the arkansas coaches and PR dept. and if you can't stop watching that, count how many of the tackles he broke were arm tackles. and please, please stop thinking that college Ds are equivalent to pro Ds.

McFadden has been playing football since he was a kid and NEVER broke a leg. You dont have to have big legs to have strong bones, just to let you know. And you keep on telling people to stop watching highlight reels, lmao, you do know that alot of us have watched this kid since he's been a freshman right? Maybe YOU should be the one who actually watches McFadden play an actual game instead of the highlights of him just running by defenders on youtube, sorry to let you know, but... Youtube doesnt show McFadden picking up the tough yards inorder to get a 1st down, but the game film does, maybe you should watch some of them

Im not saying that im an expert but I always thought Bush was a WR playing the role of a RB, I was in love with Peterson ever since his freshman year, and I been in love with McFadden since the middle of his freshman year, McFadden is the real deal

• Thumb Down 1

you're right, you don't need a "great" RB in today's game. you just need a solid running game. what great RBs did the pats have when they won all them SBs? what great Rb did the giants have when they won the last one? how many did barry sanders win for the lions? how many did tiki barber (ok poor example, maybe) win with the jints? mcfadden will be great, i'm not going to deny that. though i do question his durability at the pro level. but to win a championship, a great RB one does not require. it takes chemistry and trust, ask the giants. justin tuck said, "it

LT - has never won a superbowl, or more than two playoff games in a row.

Peterson - set some great records against your san diego chargers, and they still missed the playoffs.

Jackson - had 3 wins last year...

Did you have a point to those three 'great' backs?

Then you go on to say the heart and soul of a 34 team is the NT and the MLB? are you kidding me? Of course NT, but have you ever heard the names joey porter, or Shawn (steroids) merriman? they are OLBers and the heart and souls of their teams (when they were either on roids or in their prime). MLB is great to have, but the heart and soul is, and always will be the edge rush.

You have to be able to score SOME points though, and we do not have that capability either... Our defense is far ahead of our offense right now.

There is nothing wrong with building your offense, I think the point is defense is more important. The Chargers could not beat the Pats. The Vikings and Rams would not be able to beat the Pats. I love the jet offensive pickups. They just need more defense. I think that will be the focus of the draft.

Have you looked at our offense?? it was down right pathetic to watch!!!! OMG..it was terrible... they could not move the ball.. and then thats contributed to why our D was so bad..they were on the field too damn long..

Have you looked at our offense?? it was down right pathetic to watch!!!! OMG..it was terrible... they could not move the ball.. and then thats contributed to why our D was so bad..they were on the field too damn long..

Like I said, I have no problem with what the jets have done with the offensive pickups so far. But now, I expect them to concentrate on defense in the draft.

They will never build an offense that will outscore the Patriots. They need a defense that can slow down the Patriots and an offense that can score enough and control the ball.

Like I said, I have no problem with what the jets have done with the offensive pickups so far. But now, I expect them to concentrate on defense in the draft.

They will never build an offense that will outscore the Patriots. They need a defense that can slow down the Patriots and an offense that can score enough and control the ball.

Lets hope you're wrong. The last thing I want us to do is concentrate on D in the draft.

so, you're telling me at every level of his football "career" mcfadden was always playing the best of the best? he always played against the chosen few that played the game at an elite level? is that what you're saying? the nfl is full of players who didn't have injuries throughout their football lives only to have that change at the pro level. don't believe me? look at our own chad pennington... never a serious injury until he got to the nfl, then all of a sudden he gets a rep for being fragile. like i said, scoring points isn't conducive to winning games. it helps, but it isn't the be all and end all. we lost how many games by 7 or less this past season? in my opinion, a defensive stop or 2 wins us those games without the pressure of, "damn, we need to get down the field and score!"

WHAT!!!! they got Pace and jenkins... we spent our last draft on 2 defensive players.. we need a running back quarterback and wide reciever now...

we addressed the defense more then the offense this year....

case in point, the ravens O was horrible and their D phenomenal when they won the SB.

and our offense was so anemic last year because of the O-line play. the game is won and lost in the trenches, that's why the game is synonymous with the term "the field of battle." the O-line has since been much improved and that will translate to better ball movement and consequently more scoring.

Well, I honestly feel our Offense was garbage last year because of the O-Line, not only did the O-Line struggle to open up holes in the running game but they also had problems in terms of protectiong the QB. The addition of 7 Time Pro Bowler in Alan Faneca should help D'Brickishaw Ferguson protect the QB from the blind side-and Woody starting over Clement should improve the pass protection from the right side. With Ferguson-Faneca and Mangold, the left side of the O-Line should be strong for the running game.

The fact of the matter is this... Other than Coles and Leon Washington AT TIMES (But he's not a starter), this Offense lacks the play-maker that every offense needs.

The Patriots have Moss, the Chargers have Gates and LT, the Benglas have Chad Johnson, the Vikings have Peterson, the Steelers have Willie Parker, the Colts have an Offense full of playmakers, the Redskins have Portis, the Chiefs have Larry Johnson, I can go on and on... Even the Dolphins and Bills have Ronnie Brown and Marshawn Lynch, this Jets team really dont have that playmaker, but McFadden could be that playmaker that this Jets offense is dying for.

I know defense is important and Gholston would be a great fit but at the same time our D already has 3 young guns in Rhodes, Revis and Harris-Lets not forget players like Jenkins and Pace, this Offense needs McFadden, believe it or not

• Thumb Down 1

WHAT!!!! they got Pace and jenkins... we spent our last draft on 2 defensive players.. we need a running back quarterback and wide reciever now...

we addressed the defense more then the offense this year....

This isn't fantasy football. You don't add pieces. When you have a bully on your block (division), you build the kind of team that can beat them. Replay the Giants/Pats Super Bowl.

This isn't fantasy football. You don't add pieces. When you have a bully on your block (division), you build the kind of team that can beat them. Replay the Giants/Pats Super Bowl.

Im getting sick of this Giants beating the Patriots talk. The Giants RUN A 4-3 Defense... The Jets RUN A 3-4 Defense, lets not forget that the Patriots beat the Giants in week 17 I think it was... That "Great" Defense didnt win the game for em that time

• Thumb Down 1

So, you want to just wish for horrible conditions everytime we face Brady? You do realize that is the only way we can stop him?

We did add 2 players to our defense already, didn't we? I think our defense is capable, without conditions. However, I think there is a lot of pressure on our D because our offense is offensive.

First off, I don't want McFadden either, but you are way off base with your evaluation of our D. No matter how bad our D ever was, we never allowed "40 points" a game. In fact, in the past 2 seasons when Mangini seemingly took over the defensive playcalls our D was among the best in points allowed. Here are 2 big facts-1-Even if he disappoints our expectations, Jenkins is still a huge upgrade at NT over DRob and 2-Calvin Pace will be at least some level of an upgrade over Hobson. Add to that the fact that Revis will be playing even better than he already did last yar and Harris will be starting and playing the whole season and we hve greatly improved already. Yes, we need more pieces, but don't make it out to be that our D is going to be atrocious as it is today because that's just plain false.

So you're saying that the Giants Defense would dominate every time they played the Pats and the result would be the same? What was the score the first time they played, 135 - 129 or something like that, no?

I think the knocks against McFadden come from a (justified) fear of drafting a bust and are tainted by that. If you draft McFadden and he becomes the player that many people believe he can become, you have a DOMINANT running back for YEARS TO COME. I'm willing to take the shot, because the upside is tremendous.

Skinny legs? McFadden has skinny legs? That's your knock? McFadden runs just fine between the tackles, you don't have to run over people to be successful. Ask Marcus Allen, he had twigs for legs.

I'd be optimistic about either McFadden or Goulston, by the way.

We did add 2 players to our defense already, didn't we? I think our defense is capable, without conditions. However, I think there is a lot of pressure on our D because our offense is offensive.

Not yet capable of stopping the Pats without a lot of rain and wind. Would I like better offensive playmakers than the ones we have? Sure. But I believe, with Fanaca, Woody, Franks and Richardson, the blocking will be much better, which, in turn will make the offense much better.

The goal is (or should be) to build a team that can beat the Patriots. You will not outscore them in a shootout.

So you're saying that the Giants Defense would dominate every time they played the Pats and the result would be the same? What was the score the first time they played, 135 - 129 or something like that, no?

I think if they played them 18 times they would not go 0-18, like the rest of the NFL.

But don't listen to me. Let's draft Bush ... uh, I mean Mcfadden.

First off, I don't want McFadden either, but you are way off base with your evaluation of our D. No matter how bad our D ever was, we never allowed "40 points" a game. In fact, in the past 2 seasons when Mangini seemingly took over the defensive playcalls our D was among the best in points allowed. Here are 2 big facts-1-Even if he disappoints our expectations, Jenkins is still a huge upgrade at NT over DRob and 2-Calvin Pace will be at least some level of an upgrade over Hobson. Add to that the fact that Revis will be playing even better than he already did last yar and Harris will be starting and playing the whole season and we hve greatly improved already. Yes, we need more pieces, but don't make it out to be that our D is going to be atrocious as it is today because that's just plain false.

ummm... the pats scored 38 on us the first game of the season... that's about as close to 40 i ever wanna get... but you're right i took a bit of a dump on our D. however, we are far from being an elite D. we are not the 2000 ravens or the '01 pats. think about it this way, we lost a lot of games because our D couldn't get off the field because our offense couldn't keep the ball. if our D is a 3-and-out D every time out, that gives us a lot more chances to score. and with the improved O-line, ball control shouldn't be so tough a task. as of now our D is respectable. i prefer it to be feared. immensely.

Wow

McFadden runs more like Jerome Bettis than "Reggie Bush", McFadden and Bush are NOTHING A-Like, they both have Speed, thats about it

They both seemed to me to run thru the same kind of gaping holes that their dominating college lines opened for them that they probably will not see in the pros. But I'll leave it up to the experts who say McFadden is so great.

ummm... the pats scored 38 on us the first game of the season... that's about as close to 40 i ever wanna get... but you're right i took a bit of a dump on our D. however, we are far from being an elite D. we are not the 2000 ravens or the '01 pats. think about it this way, we lost a lot of games because our D couldn't get off the field because our offense couldn't keep the ball. if our D is a 3-and-out D every time out, that gives us a lot more chances to score. and with the improved O-line, ball control shouldn't be so tough a task. as of now our D is respectable. i prefer it to be feared. immensely.

And Goulston obviously is the missing piece. Wow, I can't wait to see Vernon Goulston collect both the Rookie of the Year and League MVP in the same season, what a treat!

Not yet capable of stopping the Pats without a lot of rain and wind. Would I like better offensive playmakers than the ones we have? Sure. But I believe, with Fanaca, Woody, Franks and Richardson, the blocking will be much better, which, in turn will make the offense much better.

The goal is (or should be) to build a team that can beat the Patriots. You will not outscore them in a shootout.

You know this how?

The offense will not be much better without gamebreakers. Against teams like the pats, they'll walk up their safeties in the box and dare us to beat them over the top.

You know this how?

The offense will not be much better without gamebreakers. Against teams like the pats, they'll walk up their safeties in the box and dare us to beat them over the top.

And then we will beat them over the top because now, Clemens will have time to throw. Coles and Cotchery are not Randy Moss and TO, but they ain't that bad.

so, you're telling me at every level of his football "career" mcfadden was always playing the best of the best? he always played against the chosen few that played the game at an elite level? is that what you're saying? the nfl is full of players who didn't have injuries throughout their football lives only to have that change at the pro level. don't believe me? look at our own chad pennington... never a serious injury until he got to the nfl, then all of a sudden he gets a rep for being fragile. like i said, scoring points isn't conducive to winning games. it helps, but it isn't the be all and end all. we lost how many games by 7 or less this past season? in my opinion, a defensive stop or 2 wins us those games without the pressure of, "damn, we need to get down the field and score!"

Oh, I see, that obviously was the problem with our offense last year, we didn't have enough chances to score!

This is a chicken and egg kind of argument. You either think that we were one or two good drives (or big plays) away from winning those close games or you think that we were one or two "stops" from winning those games. You either think that the defense was bad because the offense sucked or vice versa.

I personally think that the offense was putrid and ineffective and that the defense was the much stronger unit. If you look at the games after the bye (and coincidentally after David Harris was in the starting lineup) the Jets had one of the better defenses in the league and yet still wound up with four whole wins.

Will the offense without McFadden be improved? I'm sure it will, but to count on Goulston to make your defense the '86 Bears and for your offensive line to grind down the field on thirteen play drives and win "smart" football games is a tad optimistic.

If you don't think that McFadden will be a game changer and that he's overrated, fine. I, for one, am willing to find out.

I'm not anti-Goulston, actually the idea of him knocking Tom Brady's teeth in for years to come makes me a little giddy, but that is not a guarantee and since we're taking chances, I'll take a chance on the guy with the ball in his hands thirty times a game to take my team to the next level - maybe I'm just not being "smart".

By the way, the Reggie Bush bashing is ridiculous.