jet fans need to ask themselves...

scionce

Oh, I see, that obviously was the problem with our offense last year, we didn't have enough chances to score!

This is a chicken and egg kind of argument. You either think that we were one or two good drives (or big plays) away from winning those close games or you think that we were one or two "stops" from winning those games. You either think that the defense was bad because the offense sucked or vice versa.

I personally think that the offense was putrid and ineffective and that the defense was the much stronger unit. If you look at the games after the bye (and coincidentally after David Harris was in the starting lineup) the Jets had one of the better defenses in the league and yet still wound up with four whole wins.

Will the offense without McFadden be improved? I'm sure it will, but to count on Goulston to make your defense the '86 Bears and for your offensive line to grind down the field on thirteen play drives and win "smart" football games is a tad optimistic.

If you don't think that McFadden will be a game changer and that he's overrated, fine. I, for one, am willing to find out.

I'm not anti-Goulston, actually the idea of him knocking Tom Brady's teeth in for years to come makes me a little giddy, but that is not a guarantee and since we're taking chances, I'll take a chance on the guy with the ball in his hands thirty times a game to take my team to the next level - maybe I'm just not being "smart".

By the way, the Reggie Bush bashing is ridiculous.

sorry, i'm not willing to find out with a 6 pick, maybe a 6 in the 2nd round! And as far as the Reggie Bust bashing, why is it rediculous? Please explain?

You have to have a nice balance of both....

What you don't want are the Air Coryell Chargers of the late 70's early 80's with a great offense and zero defense.

Same with Marino's Dolphins a ton of offensive weapons but in all reality only John Offerdahl on defense.

For the Jets I would like to see a them be a team like Cowher's Steelers that are physical up front. Pound the football and play rock hard defense.

Are they there yet ? No. They are still quite a bit away on defense and the O-Line looks better on paper but we are going to have wait until they actually take the field and play before we make judgements.

And Goulston obviously is the missing piece. Wow, I can't wait to see Vernon Goulston collect both the Rookie of the Year and League MVP in the same season, what a treat!

Nobody here is hying him up like te they are DMC! As for making more of an imediate impact? history has proven LBers do more than RB who were taken early!

And then we will beat them over the top because now, Clemens will have time to throw. Coles and Cotchery are not Randy Moss and TO, but they ain't that bad.

Clemens throwing it just means it won't be accurate... that's all it means.

with the old offensive line then I would say no to Mcfadden... But with this new o-line? I say Yes.... All Day...

I've said this hundreds of times. In order to win a SB you must beat the power in your own division. Us, it's the Pats. Your not gonna beat the Pats with DMC (even if he's god, like you say) Your gonna do it with D. Rushing the passer. The giants proved that. And don't tell me how they run a 4-3 and supply pressure from the DE not OLB! It's still a pass rush! The more the merrier. We have good RB's that are proven! DMC is not worth the risk! Sorry!

do you want a championship? or are you just interested in scoring points? most fans are dying for mcfadden's "homerun hitting" ability (which i still don't believe in because his legs are too skinny), but they're not thinking about the team being able to stop the more high-powered offenses of the league from scoring big. what does it matter if we can score 30 points a game

our defense isnt bad right now. i dont think anyone is going to put a ton of points on us. not even NE. we didnt do too bad in the rematch last year. so if Mcfadden was a lock to get our offense at least 30 points a game I'd pull the trigger on that in an instant. our o-line + mcfadden, jones, chatman, washington, richardson = time of possession through the roof. besides the best defense is a good offense. ;)

Oh, I see, that obviously was the problem with our offense last year, we didn't have enough chances to score!

This is a chicken and egg kind of argument. You either think that we were one or two good drives (or big plays) away from winning those close games or you think that we were one or two "stops" from winning those games. You either think that the defense was bad because the offense sucked or vice versa.

I personally think that the offense was putrid and ineffective and that the defense was the much stronger unit. If you look at the games after the bye (and coincidentally after David Harris was in the starting lineup) the Jets had one of the better defenses in the league and yet still wound up with four whole wins.

Will the offense without McFadden be improved? I'm sure it will, but to count on Goulston to make your defense the '86 Bears and for your offensive line to grind down the field on thirteen play drives and win "smart" football games is a tad optimistic.

If you don't think that McFadden will be a game changer and that he's overrated, fine. I, for one, am willing to find out.

I'm not anti-Goulston, actually the idea of him knocking Tom Brady's teeth in for years to come makes me a little giddy, but that is not a guarantee and since we're taking chances, I'll take a chance on the guy with the ball in his hands thirty times a game to take my team to the next level - maybe I'm just not being "smart".

By the way, the Reggie Bush bashing is ridiculous.

And Goulston obviously is the missing piece. Wow, I can't wait to see Vernon Goulston collect both the Rookie of the Year and League MVP in the same season, what a treat!

i'm not anointing gholston as the second coming of LT (the original), what i am saying is this: by taking gholston we're not relying on the one guy to make dreams come true. he's just another strong link in the chain that i would like to see used to lynch opposing QBs with. think about this: if we get gholston, he'll most likely be used as a situational OLB (i.e. 3rd downs) during his rookie campaign, rotating with thomas and/or pace. however, given pace's size and quickness, he might even be able to slide to ILB when gholston checks in. then the pressure can from every angle. who would you look out for? with coleman, jenkins and ellis tying up the line and 4 LBs who can definitely get to the QB how do you pick the blitzer? what if all four rush? how do you stop it? with mcfadden, he'd be the standout weapon. everyone will always know when he's getting the ball and then you're left to hope he can do something even though there are 8/9 guys gunning for him right at the snap. he'd be the '86 jordan to the jets' '86 bulls. and don't feed me the coles/cotchery/baker are pippen/grant/stockton argument now that you've already anointed mcfadden as our lord and savior. because while i've been touting team chemistry (albeit on D), the mcfadden lovers have been saying he's ALL we need.

as far as i'm concerned, and i really hate to admit this, the gold standard of championship teams is the patriots. and i don't ever remember them winning a superbowl with a high-powered offense... wait a minute... they had a high-powered offense last year didn't they? and did they win? ummm...NO! are we starting to get the picture? and hey, when they won their first SB, wasn't it against the rams' high-powered offense? an offense that scored over 500 that season, but was held to just 17 in the SB? umm, yeah... you can't convince me that mcfadden is the right pick, because i want a title, not just a team that can score points.

i'm not anointing gholston as the second coming of LT (the original), what i am saying is this: by taking gholston we're not relying on the one guy to make dreams come true. he's just another strong link in the chain that i would like to see used to lynch opposing QBs with. think about this: if we get gholston, he'll most likely be used as a situational OLB (i.e. 3rd downs) during his rookie campaign, rotating with thomas and/or pace. however, given pace's size and quickness, he might even be able to slide to ILB when gholston checks in. then the pressure can from every angle. who would you look out for? with coleman, jenkins and ellis tying up the line and 4 LBs who can definitely get to the QB how do you pick the blitzer? what if all four rush? how do you stop it? with mcfadden, he'd be the standout weapon. everyone will always know when he's getting the ball and then you're left to hope he can do something even though there are 8/9 guys gunning for him right at the snap. he'd be the '86 jordan to the jets' '86 bulls. and don't feed me the coles/cotchery/baker are pippen/grant/stockton argument now that you've already anointed mcfadden as our lord and savior. because while i've been touting team chemistry (albeit on D), the mcfadden lovers have been saying he's ALL we need.

as far as i'm concerned, and i really hate to admit this, the gold standard of championship teams is the patriots. and i don't ever remember them winning a superbowl with a high-powered offense... wait a minute... they had a high-powered offense last year didn't they? and did they win? ummm...NO! are we starting to get the picture? and hey, when they won their first SB, wasn't it against the rams' high-powered offense? an offense that scored over 500 that season, but was held to just 17 in the SB? umm, yeah... you can't convince me that mcfadden is the right pick, because i want a title, not just a team that can score points.

David Tyree doesn't make a catch with his head, Asante Samuel doesn't drop a sure interception and suddenly you have no argument. Okay, your loved ones lives on the line and the Pats play the Giants ten times, how many do the Pats win? How did they manage to score 38 on them the first time they met? You don't think that they could repeat that? Which was the aberration?

Again, short-sightedness reigns. You want to build a team to beat the Pats, but not be able to score with them, makes total sense. You think you're putting together four or five thirteen play drives and keeping The Pats on the sidelines, it's not happening.

The Colts won the Super Bowl the year before, The Niners won four with explosive offenses loaded with playmakers, the Steelers had Stallworth and Swann and Franco Harris and won four. Name a team besides the Ravens with a disgusto offense that won it all, even the Bears had Walter Payton and Willie Gault. Having a team that scores points and having a championship team are not mutually exclusive conditions.

DEFENSE ALONE DOES NOT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS

You play a very dangerous game when you count on winning 17-14, 13-10 every week.

McFadden has way more potential to have much more of an impact on the offense than Goulston does the Defense.

Oh yeah, by the by - about "getting the picture", uuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ahhhhhhh you forgot to mention that the RAMS WON THE SUPER BOWL

David Tyree doesn't make a catch with his head, Asante Samuel doesn't drop a sure interception and suddenly you have no argument. Okay, your loved ones lives on the line and the Pats play the Giants ten times, how many do the Pats win? How did they manage to score 38 on them the first time they met? You don't think that they could repeat that? Which was the aberration?

Again, short-sightedness reigns. You want to build a team to beat the Pats, but not be able to score with them, makes total sense. You think you're putting together four or five thirteen play drives and keeping The Pats on the sidelines, it's not happening.

The Colts won the Super Bowl the year before, The Niners won four with explosive offenses loaded with playmakers, the Steelers had Stallworth and Swann and Franco Harris and won four. Name a team besides the Ravens with a disgusto offense that won it all, even the Bears had Walter Payton and Willie Gault.

You play a very dangerous game when you count on winning 17-14, 13-10 every week.

But again, if we drafted Vernon Goulston, I would be very optimistic.

mcfadden will not turn clemens or pennington into bradshaw or young. walter payton didn't even score a TD or rush for over 100 when the bears took it in '85. the colts sealed their superbowl victory on a kelvin hayden INT... and shootouts, while fun to watch, are the much more dangerous game (see the comeback: oilers @ bills in '93). with a 3-point lead, i would honestly want the punishing D that can force the 3-and-out and not have to hope my high-powered O can move down the field after the opposing team scores. you don't have to score 30+ points/game if your opponents are consistently held to only 10-17 points/game.

mcfadden will not turn clemens or pennington into bradshaw or young. walter payton didn't even score a TD or rush for over 100 when the bears took it in '85. the colts sealed their superbowl victory on a kelvin hayden INT... and shootouts, while fun to watch, are the much more dangerous game (see the comeback: oilers @ bills in '93). with a 3-point lead, i would honestly want the punishing D that can force the 3-and-out and not have to hope my high-powered O can move down the field after the opposing team scores. you don't have to score 30+ points/game if your opponents are consistently held to only 10-17 points/game.

Here's my point, our offense is in WAAAY worse shape than our defense. Who is talking about shootouts? Our offense actually puts points on the board and all of a sudden our defense stinks? How the hell is bad defense a side effect of having a good offense? Again, look at the defense after the bye week last year and look at the offense. The defense is way ahead of the offense at this point, so I'm taking a chance on an offensive player and not a defensive player. And if you think that having a McFadden (this is based on the premise that McFadden becomes the player that many scouts believe he can be) won't make the QB better, then you are being willfully ignorant and there really isn't any use talking about it anymore.

Again, if you don't like the specific player, then that is different but if you are speaking from a philosophical standpoint, then you are actually saying that you would take Jared Allen over LaDainian Tomlinson. I'm taking LaDainian Tomlinson.

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers were the number two and three defenses in points allowed last year. How did they do in the playoffs?

The Giants were the number 21 scoring Defense in the league last year, how did they do? You know as well as I do that a lot of the credit for the Giants turnaround was given to the miraculously improved play of Eli Manning (who, coincidentally won the SB MVP award)

P.S. The Patriots only gave up 17 points a game last year, FOURTH in the league, so this "high powered offensive team" actually played well on both sides of the ball.

P.P.S. The Jets scored a whopping 16.8 points a game last year, the leagues NUMBER ONE scoring defense surrendered 16.4 points a game. So, in other words, collectively, the Jets elevated every team they played during 2007 to the level of play achieved by best defensive team in the league.

P.P.P.S The Jets gave up 18 points a game after the bye (and Vilma's injury/David Harris starting) last year, good for fourth in the NFL - Jets record in those games - 3-4 (wins coming against Miami, Pittsburgh and KC) ---->CHAMPIONSHIP STUFF

GET ME OFFENSE - ALAN FANECA CANNOT DO THIS ALONE (Damien Woody is still a mystery at RT and Bubba Franks and Tony Richardson are a combined 112 years old, so I'm not betting the Kids' college funds on them)

Having said this, I do not want to misrepresent my point, I don't love the "flashy" game or players. A great defense is a beautiful thing to watch, I just think that the addition of an Adrian Peterson changes your whole team (I'm not comparing McFadden to Peterson, but I think he compares more favorably to Peterson than to Reggie Bush - he may not be at that level - but I think it's worth the shot to find out, you don't tear up the SEC without being a good player and if he does turn out to be special, then we have something amazing on our hands, something that you don't get a shot at very often, something that this franchise hasn't seen since Curtis Martin - how competitive were we then?)

GROW A PAIR OF BALLS AND DRAFT MCFADDEN BECAUSE THE "SMART" THING ISN'T ALWAYS SO SMART

The Colts won the Super Bowl the year before, The Niners won four with explosive offenses loaded with playmakers, the Steelers had Stallworth and Swann and Franco Harris and won four. Name a team besides the Ravens with a disgusto offense that won it all, even the Bears had Walter Payton and Willie Gault. Having a team that scores points and having a championship team are not mutually exclusive conditions.

McFadden has way more potential to have much more of an impact on the offense than Goulston does the Defense.

Oh yeah, by the by - about "getting the picture", uuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ahhhhhhh you forgot to mention that the RAMS WON THE SUPER BOWL

and if assante samuel makes the INT then it proves my argument perfectly... because the pats would have won with their defense... get that? their defense would have won them the championship. just like when the pats got the ball back with over a minute to play, which, you should know is more than enough time for brady. jay alford sacked brady for a 10 yard loss with 19 seconds left. the jint D shut the door on the high-powered pat O. thanks for helping further prove my point...

and when the rams won the titan D wasn't considered elite, it was good, but it wasn't elite. the titans O was supposed to be their strength, but like i said with shootouts, they ARE the more dangerous game. and for the record the rams won that SB on a D stop as well. or don't you remember (i forget which) titan WR getting planted at the 2 yard line right at the end of the game that would have forced OT. yeah, defense won that one too...

Here's my point, our offense is in WAAAY worse shape than our defense. Who is talking about shootouts? Our offense actually puts points on the board and all of a sudden our defense stinks? How the hell is bad defense a side effect of having a good offense. Again, look at the defense after the bye week last year and look at the offense. The defense is way ahead of the offense at this point, so I'm taking a chance on an offensive player and not a defensive player. And if you think that McFadden won't make the QB better, then you are being willfully ignorant and there really isn't any use talking about it anymore.

you're not giving our O any credit, i happen to think we have tons of talent on the O... enough to win an SB. the reason we stunk it up last year was because of the O-line play, not because we don't have enough homerun hitters. coles, cotchery and washington can all take it to the house. all three of them are phenomenal after they get the ball in their hands. baker is sooooooooo underrated. we do not need another hungry mouth crying for the ball. there'll barely be enough to go around now that the O-line should be greatly improved. we don't need mcfadden. we can fix the team. we have the tools. yes, i'm borrowing that from the "six million dollar man."

you're not giving our O any credit, i happen to think we have tons of talent on the O... enough to win an SB. the reason we stunk it up last year was because of the O-line play, not because we don't have enough homerun hitters. coles, cotchery and washington can all take it to the house. all three of them are phenomenal after they get the ball in their hands. baker is sooooooooo underrated. we do not need another hungry mouth crying for the ball. there'll barely be enough to go around now that the O-line should be greatly improved. we don't need mcfadden. we can fix the team. we have the tools. yes, i'm borrowing that from the "six million dollar man."

Credit? Please tell me why a 4-12 team deserves credit on EITHER side of the ball. You want the offense to get credit? Additions or no additions, they will get NONE until they produce in the season.

And not stats either. Yardage, first downs, touchdowns...they dont count. When they produce WINS then they get credit. Until then they'll get none and be happy with it.

Credit? Please tell me why a 4-12 team deserves credit on EITHER side of the ball. You want the offense to get credit? Additions or no additions, they will get NONE until they produce in the season.

And not stats either. Yardage, first downs, touchdowns...they dont count. When they produce WINS then they get credit. Until then they'll get none and be happy with it.

lol... i honestly believe that the lines (O and D) made us a lot worse than we actually are. the new look O-line should help step-up production (i.e. points), but that won't mean anything if we can't stop anyone right out the gate. it shouldn't take half a season to start getting things right. but again, with the better D-line, we should see much improved play from the LBs, especially with harris starting from day one. adding gholston would give us a very formidable front seven and protect the offense in close games where shootouts are to be avoided at all costs. consider this, gholston might be used as a situational OLB (i.e. 3rd downs) during his rookie campaign, rotating with thomas and/or pace. however, given pace's size and quickness, he might even be able to slide to ILB when gholston checks in. then the pressure is much more unpredictable. how do you adjust the blitz assignment when coleman, jenkins and ellis tie up the opposing O-line and there are 4 LBs who can definitely get to the QB? especially if all four rush? how do you stop it?

do you want a championship? or are you just interested in scoring points? most fans are dying for mcfadden's "homerun hitting" ability (which i still don't believe in because his legs are too skinny), but they're not thinking about the team being able to stop the more high-powered offenses of the league from scoring big. what does it matter if we can score 30 points a game if we allow opponents to score 40 a game?

i want a championship. the giants proved the proverb true in the last superbowl. and i know there are those who like to think that the jint O won the game for them, but with a minute or so left on the clock, real jet fans know that was more than enough time for brady to get down the field and score. if any of you can remember, the game pretty much ended on jay alford's sack of brady. let me re-iterate that for you all, it wasn't a homerun hitting RB that won the game, it was a QB sack.

those who really paid any attention to the entire season will also note that the patriots scored a record 589 points on the season. that's roughly 37 points a game. what was the superbowl final score? 17-14 jints? anyone wanna tell me that the giant RBs kept the pat offense in check? please, anyone, tell me it was the RBs that kept the pats from scoring their routine 35-38 points a game...

i have absolutely no interest in watching us score 30 or more points a game if, in the end, we're still losing because we couldn't get to the opposing team's QB, or get a TO, or stop the run. defense wins championships, offense fills seats. ask yourselves jet fans: do you want a superbowl title or do you only care about scoring points?

Ask baltimore that same question. Its all in balance. You dont need a high powered offense, just a good enough offense to give the defense a winning edge.

Good post.

A message to Bill belacheat...

"To be perfect, only means that your opponent hasnt found your weakness yet".

WHAT!!! DUDE, IF YOU THINK OUR OFFENSE PLAYED WELL LAST YEAR THEN YOU DID NOT WATCH MANY GAMES LAST YEAR... OUR OFFENSE WAS SO BORING..COULDNT MOVE THE BALL AT ALL... AND BTW..THOMA JONES HAS ABOUT A HMMMMMM ZERO CHANCE! OF BREAKING A BIG RUN OFF...

I BELIEVE THE D WAS BAD BECAUSE THE O KEPT THEM ON THE FIELD FOR SO DAMN LONG...

WHAT!!! DUDE, IF YOU THINK OUR OFFENSE PLAYED WELL LAST YEAR THEN YOU DID NOT WATCH MANY GAMES LAST YEAR... OUR OFFENSE WAS SO BORING..COULDNT MOVE THE BALL AT ALL... AND BTW..THOMA JONES HAS ABOUT A HMMMMMM ZERO CHANCE! OF BREAKING A BIG RUN OFF...

I BELIEVE THE D WAS BAD BECAUSE THE O KEPT THEM ON THE FIELD FOR SO DAMN LONG...

Say it, don't spray it.

did you read everything i said or did u just decide to write a reply the minute you read "you're not giving our O any credit, i happen to think we have tons of talent on the O?" because had you paid any attention you would realize that i said "we stunk it up last year because of the O-line play." yes, the offense was anemic at best, but it isn't because the entire O was inept. if you know football then you should know the game is won and lost in the trenches. manning and brady wouldn't be half as good if their O-lines were as porous as ours was last season. brady had upwards of 6-7 seconds to find a receiver, set, and throw. CP/KC had what? not even 2-3 seconds most times. no QB or offense has EVER succeeded (read: won a superbowl) with a terrible O-line. i saw every game last year, the defense kept us in many of those games, but they weren't by any means an elite, lights out D. had they been that we would've won much more than 4 games. i hope you read this whole post this time around.

Archived