Do we reach for.....

NYjet10

Do you reach for Groves if the guys listed in the post are gone?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you reach for Groves if the guys listed in the post are gone?

• Yes.
    • No, pick Mckelvin.

Quentin Groves if Ryan, Gholston, C.Long, J.Long, and Mcfadden are gone? I think grives can do great things in our defense. He truly is a standout pass rusher.

I say we should pull the trigger, but I also think the Jets will be thinking Mckelvin if those 5 are gone.

Quentin Groves if Ryan, Gholston, C.Long, J.Long, and Mcfadden are gone? I think grives can do great things in our defense. He truly is a standout pass rusher.

I say we should pull the trigger, but I also think the Jets will be thinking Mckelvin if those 5 are gone.

Oops logged on to the wrong name.

I would personally like Limas Sweed there if it fell like this. I like Groves though McKelvin is pretty good too.

That would be my choice also.

Trading down is getting impossible, so until something gets done with the rookie contracts at the top of round 1, you're going to see a lot of teams reach a little for need. It's just too much cash to go along with the pick to simply get a player because he's technically rated better by the scouting intelligentsia that is dead wrong on "first round talent" 50% of the time. A player taken that high has to fit the scheme you play & you should need him right now & just shouldn't be a 2nd-round talent (or lower). But you also can't be giving out $20M guaranteed & have a player have little more impact than a mediocre FA who's ready to start immediately. One could argue that CB fits that mold since we already have Revis on one side.

That would be my choice also.

Trading down is getting impossible, so until something gets done with the rookie contracts at the top of round 1, you're going to see a lot of teams reach a little for need. It's just too much cash to go along with the pick to simply get a player because he's technically rated better by the scouting intelligentsia that is dead wrong on "first round talent" 50% of the time. A player taken that high has to fit the scheme you play & you should need him right now & just shouldn't be a 2nd-round talent (or lower). But you also can't be giving out $20M guaranteed & have a player have little more impact than a mediocre FA who's ready to start immediately. One could argue that CB fits that mold since we already have Revis on one side.

I agree, the only exception I see to that rule is at QB. But if you reach for someone like Sweed he will make an imediate impact as a number 3 WR from day one. I think Groves could be a situational pass rusher and contribute - but he could be there in round 2 and I don't think McKelvin could beat out Barrett personally. But that is jmho.

What happened to BPA? Everyone is all for it, until they are forced into a decision. Glenn Dorsey, hands down.

Like SE said above, you really can't afford to give a 20 million dollar signing bonus to someone who won't see the field much this season and doesn't fit your system. If the Jets feel he will do both than that should be the pick.

Like SE said above, you really can't afford to give a 20 million dollar signing bonus to someone who won't see the field much this season and doesn't fit your system. If the Jets feel he will do both than that should be the pick.

I can see both of your points, but what i have heard of Dorsey is that he can play 3 downlinemen positions, including RDE in a 34. As you said, it might take him a while to see the field, or to be as productive as he was at DT/NT for LSU, but i'd rather take a risk on a guy like him or Sedrick Ellis than taking another OLBer to compete with Pace, Thomas, and Bowens. (BTW, i really like Bowens, so part of me wants to see him get some field time, a new rookie takes that away)

I can't see how both McFadden and Gholston being gone by #6.

just because you have an erection over two players doesn't mean other teams don't have the same problem.

I can't see how both McFadden and Gholston being gone by #6.

I don't either - but I'm not that interested in Gholston. I really think this team needs an offensive playmaker. Especially since there are a few de/olb that will be available in round 2.

I agree, the only exception I see to that rule is at QB. But if you reach for someone like Sweed he will make an imediate impact as a number 3 WR from day one. I think Groves could be a situational pass rusher and contribute - but he could be there in round 2 and I don't think McKelvin could beat out Barrett personally. But that is jmho.

I would say "probably" to those things also. Groves is a supreme reach as a #6 pick. Sweed is a reach as well, but he wouldn't be a terrible reach 5 picks or so later. Groves might still be a reach at #20.

And yes, I'd say QB is an exception there as well. The problem with reaching for a QB that high is that if he's a bust your entire team will suck for 2-3 years because no one gets so many chances to succeed as a top-10 drafted QB. If a WR is a bust, he won't make it past #2 or #3 on the depth chart as long as there are other legitimate starting WR's on the team. He won't kill the team on game day nearly as badly as a bust-QB, nor for as many games. Because the only thing worse than drafting a bust QB is drafting one, never using him, and seeing him flourish for another team -- has to be a major anxiety with all GM's/HC's who draft one that hasn't come into his own "yet."

Case in point: if Clemens was drafted in round 4 or 5 (or later), there would be no doubt that we're drafting a QB this year. Because he was drafted in round 2, it's iffy. If he was drafted in round 1, I don't think we'd consider QB at all. But it's the same player; the only difference is how much hype there was for him by draft weekend.

I don't either - but I'm not that interested in Gholston. I really think this team needs an offensive playmaker. Especially since there are a few de/olb that will be available in round 2.

I agree. If McFadden is gone and Matt Ryan is still on the board, I'll take him over Gholston.

It'll be close, but I'll do it.

I can see both of your points, but what i have heard of Dorsey is that he can play 3 downlinemen positions, including RDE in a 34. As you said, it might take him a while to see the field, or to be as productive as he was at DT/NT for LSU, but i'd rather take a risk on a guy like him or Sedrick Ellis than taking another OLBer to compete with Pace, Thomas, and Bowens. (BTW, i really like Bowens, so part of me wants to see him get some field time, a new rookie takes that away)

Like I just posted I really think this team needs someone to replace coles with eventually and who can stretch the field. I think Sweed can do both. Having Sweed play in the slot and running the seem route would be an immediate upgrade over Baker/any other #3 on the roster. Dorsey would take some time and Ellis and Coleman are solid imo.

I would take Harvey over Groves at that point.

Even McKelvin. NOT Limas Sweed.

Why not? Sweed would be a sure fire top 5 pick if he was never hurt. He has good charecter. Ran a 4.51. I can't see how a Jets fan wouldn't want him.

interesting becaue i've seen some mocks that have groves going to san fran and some with him going to us in the 2nd rd...this is a deep draft in terms of DE's and CB's so some could say their both a reach at #6 but i'd be happy with groves or mckelvin on our squad!!

Why not? Sweed would be a sure fire top 5 pick if he was never hurt. He has good charecter. Ran a 4.51. I can't see how a Jets fan wouldn't want him.

Because he's a WR and unless a guy is a Calvin Johnson/Braylon Edwards/Randy Moss type can't miss prospect, he shouldn't be a top 10 pick IMO.

I don't care what system Dorsey 'fits' in. He's arguably the most talented player in the draft. He didn't play decent competition - he played the BEST all year in the SEC and he dominated, even while injured. He is absolutely unblockable when healthy. THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO DROB with this guy. In fact, he's the closest thing to a true Warren Sapp....since Warren Sapp was a rookie. Plug him in a DE or in the modified 4-3 that Mangini uses, and he dominates. Even in the Rotation for the 3-4 nose to spell Jenkins, and he dominates. He's a dominant player in the SEC - which means he'll dominate in the NFL. Worst case...draft him, then trade him. You don't pass on Dorsey if he is available.

I dont care who we draft (in a situation like what you have put together) as long as we draft a defensive player for our first pick.

I don't care what system Dorsey 'fits' in. He's arguably the most talented player in the draft. He didn't play decent competition - he played the BEST all year in the SEC and he dominated, even while injured. He is absolutely unblockable when healthy. THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO DROB with this guy. In fact, he's the closest thing to a true Warren Sapp....since Warren Sapp was a rookie. Plug him in a DE or in the modified 4-3 that Mangini uses, and he dominates. Even in the Rotation for the 3-4 nose to spell Jenkins, and he dominates. He's a dominant player in the SEC - which means he'll dominate in the NFL. Worst case...draft him, then trade him. You don't pass on Dorsey if he is available.

You compare him to Warren Sapp yet you fail to realize the Sapp 3-4 End experiment failed miserably for the Raiders. It would be too risky to presume he can convert.

I agree he may be the best player in the draft, he was amazingly dominant with LSU. The point remains, he doesn't fit. Plain and simple.

Archived