Wayne Franklin to start the 8th

Green Jets & Ham

:oops:

DAMNIT!!

With Aaron frickin Small going tomorrow we really needed this win. Damn!

We better score some damn runs tomorrow. 1 run off a loser like chan ho park is unacceptable

Jeter better get his sh** toegether, he's in a slump.

They cannot run Mo out there every day. Just hope that when the keg on 3rd is dry tommorrow night the Yanks have more runs than the Rangers. Though Benoit has a 0.69 ERA mostly out of the pen.

Bugg, Gordon had monday off ... there was no reason you couldn't ask him to get four outs tonite

NO DOUBT he was pitching the 9th .. that was a slam-dunk

No reason he couldn't pitch 1 & 1/3 with a runner on 3rd, 2 Outs, in a 1-0 Game

JMO

Here's my take

If Mariano was unavailable tonite, which was obviously the case, I can see why Torre was forced to use Franklin to start the 8th ... asking Gordon for two full innings is a bit much, even with the off day he had on monday

BUT

After Franklin surrendered back-to-back hits to start the 8th, then Texira bailed him out by even swinging at a 3-0 pitch much less wrapping into a DP, Torre should have yanked his @$$ in two seconds flat with a man on 3rd and 2 Outs

REASON HE DIDN'T {IMO} .....

1. Got Greedy and went to the well with a AAA Pitcher one hitter too many

2. Was seduced by the lefty/lefty matchup, forgetting that the lefty in the batters box was a former All-Star, while the lefty on the hill was a POS ... thus the seduction was entirely without merit with the game on the line

BLAYLOCK GOES YARD ... 2 RUN BOMB ... BALL GAME ... BACK TO 2ND PLACE YOU GO

Although I don't agree with what I'm about to say here's possibly the devil's advocate stance.

Is it possible that Joe is looking towards the post-season and wants to know which pitchers he can feel comfortable with under pressure situations?

Although I don't agree with what I'm about to say here's possibly the devil's advocate stance.

Is it possible that Joe is looking towards the post-season and wants to know which pitchers he can feel comfortable with under pressure situations?

If Torre believed there was even a remote possibility he could count on a career jouneyman POS like Wayne Franklin in the post season ... if he even entertained that thought for a fleeting moment ... I'm afraid he might be going senile on us?

That's an even scarier proposition than the one I laid out above ... which IMO is far more likely

The Yanks have no choice but to see if they can turn somebody into the David Weathers/Graham Lloyd/Tanyon Sturtze of 2005. It's gonna be an open audtion for now until the end. Last October probably does haunt him. If he can get just one reliable guy other than Strutze, Gordon and Mo, this team will be that much more formidable in October. And you cannot pitch those guys every day or he'll get a repeat of the ALCS. They lost the game, but if it means he can rule out Franklin and get another potential releiver in here who might do the job, so be it. They aren't winning anything with a 3-man rotation and 3 relievers. Proctor and Franklin-OUT. NEXT!

Why cant Tanyon Sturtze pitch more often?

The guy was a frickin starting pitcher and he's a horse.

I wouldnt have put him in their today, but I'm just sayin.

Sturtz was spent ... lotta innings in recent days

Ditto Mariano ... he was shutdown tonite

But Gordon was off on monday and ready to pitch the 9th tonite ... with a man on 3rd and two outs in the 8th, no reason not to ask him for four outs in a 1-0 Game

That was the big mistake ... lefty/lefty is absurd ... the lefty in the box {Blaylock} was an All-Star caliber hitter, while the lefty on the hill was a AAA caliber pitcher ... lefty/lefty, under those circumstances, is a Joke ... at that point you need to call on Gordon and ask for four outs

Gordon, like Blaylock, is an All-Star caliber player who can smoke lefties as well as righties ... Franklin is a career journeyman who is lucky to even be in the big leagues

Anyway, I have been a HUGE JOE TORRE SUPPORTER for years ... still am ... IMO he's an ALL-TIME GREAT Yankee Manager, right there with Huggins, McCarthy and Stengel ... but lately some of his decisions have been EXTREMELY QUESTIONABLE ... some of these decisions, and it pains me to say it, have been STUPID

If Torre believed there was even a remote possibility he could count on a career jouneyman POS like Wayne Franklin in the post season ... if he even entertained that thought for a fleeting moment ... I'm afraid he might be going senile on us?

That's an even scarier proposition than the one I laid out above ... which IMO is far more likely

That's somewhat ignorant. Tanyon Sturtze was a career journeyman AAA guy before we got him. I can't blame them for looking to catch more lightning in a bottle.

But when you have a lefty on the hill, his one job is to get lefties out. If you have to take him out because you don't have confidence in him, then there's no reason for him to be on the team.

That's somewhat ignorant. Tanyon Sturtze was a career journeyman AAA guy before we got him. I can't blame them for looking to catch more lightning in a bottle.

But when you have a lefty on the hill, his one job is to get lefties out. If you have to take him out because you don't have confidence in him, then there's no reason for him to be on the team.

Yes, but Sturtz always had a good fastball and a live arm ... at one time, when he came up with the D-Rays, there were high expectations for him ... I also believe he was a high draft pick {1st RD?}

In many ways it was inexplicable to the folks in the D-Rays organization when he failed to meet expectations ... and very disappointing ... they ecpected so much more, but his biggest problem was not trusting his stuff {i.e. bat shy, nibbling, walking people, etc.}

But there was always the feeling that had he trusted his stuff, been more aggressive, and thrown strikes, he had the arm/stuff to be a good pitcher at the big league level

NOT THE CASE WITH FRANKLIN ... his stuff is subpar ... that's why he has been a career journeyman ... he has the arm/stuff of a journeyman pitcher ... so there is no ephiphany to be had here, where suddenly some light will go on at his age ... he is what he is, cause that's how he was built ... a journeyman pitcher who barely has major league stuff ... sort of a AAA/MLB tweener

JMO

Scott Proctor, for all the hype, cannot throw strikes. Which makes him useless. I dunno if the reason is that Stott scares the hell out of these guys or makes them think too much.But it doesn't matter why if he cannot throw a strike like he did Monday night.

Archived