Farve contemplating a return?

Alk

I was just listening to the Mike Trico show this afternoon and they had Bwet on. Before that they had people email in with reasons why so many people love Brett Favre. It got me to thinking, there are quite a few here who absolutely can't stand the guy. Why is that?

Me personally, he is probably my favorite player without a Patriots uniform on. Listening to him on the radio he's just really down to earth. I am really torn, I want to see win one more Super Bowl just not at the Patriots' expense.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just listening to the Mike Trico show this afternoon and they had Bwet on. Before that they had people email in with reasons why so many people love Brett Favre. It got me to thinking, there are quite a few here who absolutely can't stand the guy. Why is that?

Me personally, he is probably my favorite player without a Patriots uniform on. Listening to him on the radio he's just really down to earth. I am really torn, I want to see win one more Super Bowl just not at the Patriots' expense.

yeah, same here I wanna see him win the sb at the colts expense :mrgreen:

People hate him solely because of how much adolation he receives from those in the media, which sometimes can border on excessive. The guy, to me, is the epitome of what you want in a football player, and in terms of that and his demeanor outside of football, I don't think there is any reason to hate him beyond that maybe your a Bears fan and he's burned you one too many times. People tend to s*** on guys who've done so swell for so long not because of anything the guy's done, but simply because of envy. Jets fans hate Tom Brady, but it's not because he gets arrested or beats his gf, but because he's so god damn good and he finds a way to beat you like Marino did. He's constantly in the limelight (and has shown no reason why he shouldn't be) People wouldn't s*** on guys like Brady and Favre if they were on the team you were rooting for.

So basically it looks like the only real reason to hate him is because the media loves him which is something that he has no control over.

Yep, pretty much. I actually thought he was worse than he is because of the constant excuses the media made for him but then actually looked over his career. The guy is a top 5 all-time QB pretty much no question. His wife is annoying too though.

It got me to thinking, there are quite a few here who absolutely can't stand the guy. Why is that?

for me it goes back to 1991 he could have been on the Jets but was taken one pick earlier, Jets panicked and took Browning Nagle, who had 1 good game and sucked thereafter. Meanwhile Farve bounced around a little but became a HOF'er.

some say it had domino effect - when DE Reggie White was a free agent his agent noted the lack of QB stability in NY as a reason he wouldn't go there. who can forget Reggie viciously clubbing Andrew Chung out of the league?

Brett Fav-rah parties real hard and takes alot of pills (purely for streak purposes of course) and i think we all can respect that... would have played great in NY.

Alk you ask why do Jets fans hate Brett Farve? cause it's one of those ultimate what if draft situations (Dan Marino, Orlando Pace, Warren Sapp) and part of the pain of being a die hard fan.

I admit it, I hate Saint Brett. There are so many reasons:

#1 He gets a pass for being a pain pill junkie (the real reason for his "amazing streak of endurance").

#2 When grossly underpaid receiver Jevon Walker was holding out for more money, the overpaid Favre undercut Walker's contract negotiations by declaring publicly that Walker's holdout was harming the team -- because Saint Brett has so much pull, Walker's postion collapsed and he reported to the team shortly thereafter -- and suffered a season ending injury in his first game! Thanks Saint Brett for undercutting a fellow player in favor of management. Thankfully, Walker did recover and is now with the Broncos.

#3 Saint Brett plays the day after his dad dies in an accident. My own father died after a long bout with cancer, and I cannot express in any meaningful way the amount of emptiness and sadness I felt in the days thereafter. I certainly would not have been playing in any football game. But Saint Brett saw his dad's unexpected death as an opportunity to build up his mythic status further -- using a family tragedy to enhance his PR image.

#4 He's a jerk. No I have never met the man, but based upon everything I have heard and read, his private personna is completely different than his "aw shucks" good ole boy public routine. He doesn't want to be bothered by fans unless there is a camera there, otherwise, like Don Johnson in "Tin Cup", he would spit on them. Not that most star athletes aren't the same way, but Saint Brett pushes a nice guy image that isn't him. Put him in the same boat as Roger Clemens and Cal Ripken.

#5 He's overrated. Yes, he is a very good quarterback and he won a Super Bowl and he is now #1 in almost every all time statistical category now, but he takes too many chances, throws too many interceptions, makes too many mistakes. And in a few years, Peyton Manning will pass him for all those passing records Saint Brett is in the same category as Fran Tarkenton, another very good QB, but largely forgotten now.

#6 The fawning treatment he receives from the media, as described by others. It's almost like there is some rule that nothing bad can be said about him. I was practically screaming last week when the early game in my local market ended early, and FOX switched to the Packers-Rams blowout (when they could have gone to the more competitive Saints-Cardinals game). Oh but it's Saint Brett, we have to show Saint Brett! He passed Marino in total yardage earlier in the game!

So yes, I do HATE the pill popping, overrated, self promoting, teammmate undercutting faker who uses his own father's death so he can add to his own "myth" and who is treated with kid gloves by the fawning media and blindly adoring fans.

I love Brett Farve and I have a great respect for him and what he has done with his career, and for football.
#3 Saint Brett plays the day after his dad dies in an accident. Saint Brett saw his dad's unexpected death as an opportunity to build up his mythic status further -- using a family tragedy to enhance his PR image.

and fyi, he's not the only player that has played a game very shortly after losing a family member.

Me personally, he is probably my favorite player without a Patriots uniform on. Listening to him on the radio he's just really down to earth. I am really torn, I want to see him win one more Super Bowl at the Patriots' expense.

I fixed your post. You're welcome. :Nuts:

Throwing an average of 50+ passes a game results in interceptions.

Just like Brady's attempts this year? he averaged around 33 attempts per game those years. Also it's not so much the attempts and where he was throwing the ball....Granted he was trying to do too much since he didn't have alot to work with, but still sounds like another excuse for poor play.

I still like the guy and he is one of my favorite players, but even I will admit he looked like crap the past 3 or 4 years.

So basically it looks like the only real reason to hate him is because the media loves him which is something that he has no control over.

i have two good friends that absolutely despise the packers because of the brett favre love fest. If you think it's bad out there, you should come to northern wisconsin sometime (not literally of course, the beer and cheese only goes so far, thenyou realize you are cold as hell).

I'm not sure why you would hate someone for stuff he doesn't even say. They ball wash manning and brady in the same way (as previously mentioned).

I'm not sure who did but I guess I shouldn't start threads about beaver hair preference on the main page anymore ;)

:lol: Well, Eggplant Wizard fell victim to Ham's anti-personal attacks wrath. He should be back in action on the 22nd. unless Sooth figures out who it is and gets out the big ban hammer.

I admit it, I hate Saint Brett. There are so many reasons:

#1 He gets a pass for being a pain pill junkie (the real reason for his "amazing streak of endurance").

He took the pills for two years. What do you account for the other 10?

#2 When grossly underpaid receiver Jevon Walker was holding out for more money, the overpaid Favre undercut Walker's contract negotiations by declaring publicly that Walker's holdout was harming the team -- because Saint Brett has so much pull, Walker's postion collapsed and he reported to the team shortly thereafter -- and suffered a season ending injury in his first game! Thanks Saint Brett for undercutting a fellow player in favor of management. Thankfully, Walker did recover and is now with the Broncos.

Lets not forget that Favre makes his receivers look good. Anonio Freeman, Greg Jennings, Robert Brooks... Javon hasn't done anything worth mentioning in Denver. Maybe that's because he's not that good?

#3 Saint Brett plays the day after his dad dies in an accident. My own father died after a long bout with cancer, and I cannot express in any meaningful way the amount of emptiness and sadness I felt in the days thereafter. I certainly would not have been playing in any football game. But Saint Brett saw his dad's unexpected death as an opportunity to build up his mythic status further -- using a family tragedy to enhance his PR image.

:rl:That's actually pretty funny you think that. His PR image is high enough where it wouldn't have mattered. Ever occur to you that football meant as much to Brett's dad as it does to Brett? Had I been in the same situation in a soccer match with my dad dying, you'd bet I'd have played. He loves watching games, just as Brett's dad probably did.

#4 He's a jerk. No I have never met the man, but based upon everything I have heard and read, his private personna is completely different than his "aw shucks" good ole boy public routine. He doesn't want to be bothered by fans unless there is a camera there, otherwise, like Don Johnson in "Tin Cup", he would spit on them. Not that most star athletes aren't the same way, but Saint Brett pushes a nice guy image that isn't him. Put him in the same boat as Roger Clemens and Cal Ripken.

Again, Favre doesn't push his image, the media does. I've known tons of people that have gotten his autographs at games. Favre even spoke with them a little bit. I guess that makes Coles a **** human being because when he signed my hat, he didn't say a thing.

#5 He's overrated. Yes, he is a very good quarterback and he won a Super Bowl and he is now #1 in almost every all time statistical category now, but he takes too many chances, throws too many interceptions, makes too many mistakes. And in a few years, Peyton Manning will pass him for all those passing records Saint Brett is in the same category as Fran Tarkenton, another very good QB, but largely forgotten now.

One thing Favre will never do is take a loss. There are plenty of QB's in the league that are out there to guard their stats, not win a game. If the Packers are down 3TD's late in a game, he will take more chances to strike quickly. Which is where he gets a majority of his picks. Can't say that I mind, at least he is trying to win.

Yeah he does make other picks that are totally clueless, as a fan, I just take the good with the bad.

#6 The fawning treatment he receives from the media, as described by others. It's almost like there is some rule that nothing bad can be said about him. I was practically screaming last week when the early game in my local market ended early, and FOX switched to the Packers-Rams blowout (when they could have gone to the more competitive Saints-Cardinals game). Oh but it's Saint Brett, we have to show Saint Brett! He passed Marino in total yardage earlier in the game!

Yeah you got me there, that is Favres fault. :confused:

Notice no one said anything bad about Michael Jordan either? For certain players, the media won't give bad press. Again, not his fault.

So yes, I do HATE the pill popping, overrated, self promoting, teammmate undercutting faker who uses his own father's death so he can add to his own "myth" and who is treated with kid gloves by the fawning media and blindly adoring fans.

Honestly though, feel free to hate away, i think its hilarious.

• 3 months later...

Archived