Farve contemplating a return?

Alk

Don't think there is any chance either the Jets or Bucs will give up a straight up 1st round pick for Brett, but there could be a situation of giving up a conditional 2nd round pick where the pick could esculate to a 1st round pick if say Brett starts all 16 games and the team wins 10+ games and perhaphs a playoff game. Something along those lines.

Still not at all worth it. I wouldn't be happy with anything more than a 3rd.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still not at all worth it. I wouldn't be happy with anything more than a 3rd.

Even then.

I say a 4th. You can make it conditional for the Packers, but it should not just be for playing 16 games. The guy has played 253 straight. I would make the condition playing 2 to 3 more seasons.

Moss with a lot more gas in the tank brought in a 4th. Favre is about 8 years older.

Even then.

I say a 4th. You can make it conditional for the Packers, but it should not just be for playing 16 games. The guy has played 253 straight. I would make the condition playing 2 to 3 more seasons.

Moss with a lot more gas in the tank brought in a 4th. Favre is about 8 years older.

...and has already retired once. Not to mention he publicly contemplated retirement after the two prior seasons.

...and has already retired once. Not to mention he publicly contemplated retirement after the two prior seasons.

Exactly.

The Jets should give up a first and then sign him to a $64 million extension.

Dick.

Mark my words, it is going to happen. What better way to christen the new stadium then rolling out and over 40 QB that is the alltime NFL leader in every category.

Dude, that's like not even funny & stuff.

Then to the stirring echoes of the beautiful billon dollar stadium, he steps to the podium and announces his retirement in a Lou Gehrigesque "I consider myself the luckiest player on Earth." moment as the new season dawns on the Jets.

UPDATE:

Sal Palaontonio reporting on Sportscenter, Ted Thompson and co. are "feverishly" trying to trade Brett Favre. They are trying to get it done before he even has to report to camp to avoid a circus at TC. When asked who Thomspon has talked with, Sal Pal said he has had preliminary talks with the Jets about Draft Picks. The Jets are trying to figure out exactly what the Packers want. Sal Pal also said that if the Packers are trying to get a 1st round pick, theyre not going to get it.

UPDATE:

Sal Palaontonio reporting on Sportscenter, Ted Thompson and co. are "feverishly" trying to trade Brett Favre. They are trying to get it done before he even has to report to camp to avoid a circus at TC. When asked who Thomspon has talked with, Sal Pal said he has had preliminary talks with the Jets about Draft Picks. The Jets are trying to figure out exactly what the Packers want. Sal Pal also said that if the Packers are trying to get a 1st round pick, theyre not going to get it.

This is going to happen. It makes TOO much sense. They have upgraded every position but lack at QB. They guys they brought in this offseason aren't 24 years old. They spent money to compete today.

Favre comes in, the Jets become media darlings. They get a 2 year committment from him. People want to see him in the new stadium. It makes paying the PSL fee easier. It just makes too much sense.

My concern is this -- it better happen for football reasons. I ope Mangini wants this because he feels it can work. Same for Schott. If Schott and Callahan spent all offseason working on this new offensive gameplan, they have to be sure Brett fits in. Ot that they can easily adapt to fit him in.

I would hate to have a situation where those guys are told they have to do this because it is marketing gold.

This is going to happen. It makes TOO much sense. They have upgraded every position but lack at QB. They guys they brought in this offseason aren't 24 years old. They spent money to compete today.

Favre comes in, the Jets become media darlings. They get a 2 year committment from him. People want to see him in the new stadium. It makes paying the PSL fee easier. It just makes too much sense.

My concern is this -- it better happen for football reasons. I ope Mangini wants this because he feels it can work. Same for Schott. If Schott and Callahan spent all offseason working on this new offensive gameplan, they have to be sure Brett fits in. Ot that they can easily adapt to fit him in.

I would hate to have a situation where those guys are told they have to do this because it is marketing gold.

Let's see, with our OL now, and good running backs, and most likely a team who wants to run the ball. a QB who can throw the deep ball fits the offense to a T. This is how the 90s, early 2000s Packers were built. They ran the rock with Green and then threw the ball ..

Leberfeld on Sirius now. Someone he's working with was told to not leave camp by the network (whatever network that is) because they're expecting a "big" announcement (it might be Favre) by 5 pm today. But he did at least say he's heard nothing about it & doesn't want to be a rumor monger, etc.

Also that Tannenbaum, when he was on a little while ago, wouldn't agree that someone like Favre would go against the team-first mentality that they've tried to build when Schein posed the question to him.

Just relaying what I heard.

Leberfeld on Sirius now. Someone he's working with was told to not leave camp by the network (whatever network that is) because they're expecting a "big" announcement (it might be Favre) by 5 pm today. But he did at least say he's heard nothing about it & doesn't want to be a rumor monger, etc.

Also that Tannenbaum, when he was on a little while ago, wouldn't agree that someone like Favre would go against the team-first mentality that they've tried to build when Schein posed the question to him.

Just relaying what I heard.

Thanks for the update, good to hear.

BREAKING NEWS: FAVRE WILL NOT REPORT

Written by Administrator

Sunday, 27 July 2008 03:53

Next Level Scouting, Inc is reporting that according to multiple sources close to the situation, quarterback Brett Favre will not report to training camp with the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, which was an option in the month-long struggle between the Packers and their former starting quarterback who now has decided to return to the field in 2008 rather than sticking to his earlier desire to retire following the 2007 season.

The same sources cited the fact that the Packers front office, including GM Ted Thompson, have made the concession of looking for trade options for the future Hall of Fame quarterback, which has included giving the NY Jets the right to speak to Favre about a possible move along with some interest from Tampa Bay.

That progress and seemingly both sides knowledge that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is closely evaluating the situation to ensure the fact that one of the league's prized franchises and one of the most popular players in recent memory do not continue their public soap opera.

The concession of not having Brett Favre show up on Sunday at training camp thus creating even more controversy by having him on the sideline or even taking 2nd or 3rd team reps is at worst an "Olive Branch" from the Favre camp, but likely a sign that they have acknowledged that the Packers plan to move on this season with Aaron Rodgers and that a trade or even outright release is probably now more imminent than previously thought.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/favre_not_reporting.html

BREAKING NEWS: FAVRE WILL NOT REPORT

The concession of not having Brett Favre show up on Sunday at training camp thus creating even more controversy by having him on the sideline or even taking 2nd or 3rd team reps is at worst an "Olive Branch" from the Favre camp

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/favre_not_reporting.html

An Olive Branch? I dont think so.

Favre cant show up to camp until he files his reinstatement papers. He wont file his reinstatement papers until he knows where he is going. He wont file if he is going to be traded somewhere where he doesnt want to play.

He and his people tried to force the Packers hand in to releasing him, but they wouldnt bite. Favre wants total control on where he goes. Packers wont give it to him. Until they resolve that, nothing will happen.

Why would he show up today? He hasn't officially been reinstated yet. I think if he gets injured it's tough luck for him (no money) until he's back on the Packers roster.

That's it, no more questions about it. Until he does that, he CAN'T report.

According to Sirius NFL radio he is not reporting because the Packers have said they are going to get a trade done in the next three days. Jets or Bucs, here Brett comes. Probably to the Bucs.

What the hell? I thought he was going to file his reinstatement papers yesterday. This guy changes his mind more often than a woman.

exactly, and thats why the Jets shouldnt trade for him. We need players committed to this team, not some pansy flip flopping more than Mitt Romney.

Plus, I really believe if he is traded to the Jets, he wont report.

What the hell? I thought he was going to file his reinstatement papers yesterday. This guy changes his mind more often than a woman.

He is not changing his mind he and the Packers agreed that if Green Bay can work at trade in the next two or three days that he will not report to camp and cause a circus.

He is not changing his mind he and the Packers agreed that if Green Bay can work at trade in the next two or three days that he will not report to camp and cause a circus.

Ahh...I see. I hadn't heard anything regarding this since early yesterday. Too bad because I love a good circus.

GB_helmetPhotoHeader.jpg

Posted: 44 minutes ago

Favre a no-show to Packers camp; RB Grant doesn't report

Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre didn't report to the Green Bay Packers' training camp Sunday, temporarily easing tensions in the three-time MVP's ongoing standoff with the team.

Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb confirmed Sunday that Favre did not report to camp with Packers players, who were required to report at 7:30 a.m. CDT.

Favre told si.com that Packers general manager Ted Thompson had asked him for "a couple of days" to resolve the situation.

"I agreed to do that," Favre told the site. "I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers, and I hope in the next few days we can come to an agreement that would allow me to continue playing football."

That agreement, presumably, would be a trade. The New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have emerged as two potential trade partners for the Packers, and Favre told si.com that he would consider a trade to any team.

Packers players were scheduled to attend meetings and take physicals Sunday. Running back Ryan Grant - an exclusive-rights free agent who has refused to sign a tender offer from the team and is pursuing a long-term deal - also did not report Sunday morning.

Players, coaches and Thompson were not scheduled to meet with reporters until after the Packers' first practice Monday morning.

To report to camp, Favre first would have to file for reinstatement with the league and have his request approved by commissioner Roger Goodell, something that didn't happen Saturday. Then he'd have to pass a team physical.

In the si.com interview, conducted at his home in Mississippi, Favre said he has been speaking with Goodell and hopes the commissioner could be "some sort of arbitrator" in his impasse with the Packers.

The Packers were willing to take Favre back as recently as late March, several weeks after he retired. But after Favre led team officials to believe he was ready to return, only to change his mind again and stay retired, the team made a firm commitment to moving forward.

Now, Packers officials have made it clear that Favre wouldn't be the starter if he returned. And they aren't willing to grant his request to be released because they fear he would sign with division rival Minnesota. Favre's rights belong to the Packers until his contract expires after the 2010 season.

Favre told si.com he was interviewed this week by an NFL official about tampering charges filed by the Packers against the Vikings. Favre said he talked to Vikings coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell - which by itself wouldn't constitute tampering - but denied that either of them tried to entice him to come to the Vikings, as the Packers suspect.

On Saturday, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said even he wasn't sure how the Favre saga would play out. But he did make it clear that Aaron Rodgers is his starting quarterback.

"Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers," McCarthy said. "That's been stated over and over again. I hope we can finally understand that. That's where we are as an organization and as a head coach of the Green Bay Packers. I don't know how else to answer that question."

But even given Favre's iffy commitment to football, doesn't he still give the Packers their best chance to win in 2008?

"As simple as a question as that sounds, it's obviously more complicated than that," McCarthy said.

Taking Favre back might seem like an easy answer, but doing so would undermine the message McCarthy and his assistants have been preaching to players for nearly five months: it's time to move forward.

"Moving forward as a football team is really the identity of the whole football team," McCarthy said. "Brett Favre's had an incredible career here. He's been the focal point of the Packers, the face of the Green Bay Packers."

Despite his background as a quarterbacks coach, McCarthy prefers to win with defense - a philosophy that presumably works best with steady but unspectacular play from a quarterback.

"The football team has moved forward with the emphasis on defense," McCarthy said. "Because that's what I believe in."

Even with his firm commitment to Rodgers and the defense, McCarthy couldn't completely rule out the possibility of Favre starting another game for the Packers. But McCarthy's quote - "You never say never" - seemed more like an offhanded acknowledgment of the unpredictable nature of the game than a subtle hint that Favre could win his job back.

"If he reinstates, he'll be part of our roster," McCarthy said. "That's really as far as we can go."

Archived