Farve contemplating a return?

Alk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favre isnt going to be as great as you expect, and it is going to take time for him to learn the offense.

and will be counter to everything this staff has been trying to build.

you couldn't be more right. why do the favre proponents think that he's that omnipotent that he can come in and master an entire playbook and build a solid chemistry with the entire offense in one training camp? favre is great, but he definitely isn't god so he shouldn't be anointed as such. football is a team sport and favre isn't the upgrade people love to assume. is he better than clemens? definitely. better than pennington? debatable. yeah, he's got the eons better arm, but penny's got the eons better brain. INTs run rampant with both 10 and 4, so that argument is a wash. people say they'd rather watch favre throw 5 picks in one game instead of watching penny throw 1 that goes for a pick 6 at/near the end of the game, but let's be honest folks you're not gonna be happy with any QB who throws a pick. the favre aura is going to have you justify such atrocities and provide you a veiled sense of content.

ultimately, i'd like to see clemens learn from penny if only for the sake of having a complete QB. favre is more like clemens in terms of skill set, but he can't/won't teach clemens his instincts. am i the only one who recognizes the benefit of having a strong-armed QB who actually knows how to read defenses and audible accordingly? people argue over the dink and dunk, but no one cares to acknowledge that fact that logic dictates if you're WRs/TEs are blanketed downfield, attempting to force it will most likely result in an INT. and i'll say it yet again, penny can't teach clemens how to throw the pick 6 out because clemens can't throw that soft, but penny can teach him when to realize the dink and dunk is the best option; as unsexy to the majority of you as that sounds.

This is THE latest on Favre, posted just a few minutes ago. Just trying to keep all the Favre news in one thread.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Favre delays arrival to Packers camp at GM's request

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

Brett Favre has signed his letter seeking reinstatement to the Green Bay Packers but may not send it to the NFL until Monday or Tuesday.

Favre admitted in a telephone interview that he did not report to the Packers' camp Sunday with the rest of the team in part because general manager Ted Thompson pleaded with him to delay his arrival.

Such is the drama that continues to build around Favre.

He offered to compete for his old job but was told that wasn't possible.

He admits he has spoken to Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress but says it wasn't tampering.

He's open to a trade but not just to the New York Jets or Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He's hoping commissioner Roger Goodell can mediate the impasse that he has reached with the Packers.

"I asked Ted [saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' and Ted was just about shattered," said Favre in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

Consequently, Favre did not fax a letter he has signed to request his reinstatement as an active player to the league office on Saturday. That did not sit well with Favre's wife Deanna or his agent, James "Bus" Cook.

"Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, 'You're so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this," said Favre. "They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so."

Favre said that Thompson wasn't receptive to the veteran quarterback winning his job back from Aaron Rodgers. He relayed his most recent conversation Saturday with the GM.

"I said, 'Let me compete, you'll know I'll win this job' and Ted said again, 'Brett, things have changed. Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback.' It's pretty clear -- and this is what I told the commissioner -- that they want me to go away, stay retired. They would much rather see me in a Packers' uniform, paying me $12 million to be a backup -- which you know they really don't want -- rather than see in another uniform, no matter what they say. They'll drag this out, asking a king's ransom [in a trade], hoping it all goes away."

Goodell has spoken to Favre twice, most recently on Saturday.

"Roger is willing to help but he has to be careful," said Favre. "I told him I could easily send in this letter [of reinstatement] but they really don't want me there and it'll be a big circus. They play this both ways. Privately, they don't want me there. Publicly, if I sent in the letter but didn't show up right away, they could always fine me or say, `See, why isn't he here? He really doesn't want to play.' Give me my release and see if I want to play or not."

It appears Tuesday is Favre's soft deadline to report to camp or possibly be traded. According to Favre, Thompson asked him if he was interested in a trade. "Yeah, but not just to the teams you want me to go to," Favre said, relaying his conversation with the Packers' GM.

The Packers have given permission to the New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers to talk to Favre. The Jets have had conversations with Cook but have not talked directly to Favre.

Favre would not admit that the Vikings are his preferred team of choice but he confirmed he has spoken with Childress and admitted as much to both Goodell and NFL director of security Milt Alherich. The Packers filed a tampering complaint against the Vikings.

"I have never denied talking to Childress," said Favre. "I've known [Childress] for about 12 years going back to when he and Jay Norvell were assistants at Wisconsin and they used to come in and sit in our quarterback meetings. And then Brad went to Philadelphia to be with Andy Reid and, you know, Andy and I are big buddies so the relations continued.

'Like I told Milt and like I told the commissioner, I've spoken to Childress. I've spoken to Darrell Bevell [Vikings offensive coordinator], I've spoken to Andy Reid, I've spoken to Mike Sherman, Matt Millen, Steve Mariucci ... I've spoken to a lot of guys who are my friends and guys who have coached me, either talked to them or left messages."

Favre claims that his communications with many of those coaches, including Childress, was a matter of seeing if it was within reason to change his mind about retirement.

"I called them and asked them, 'Am I crazy? Am I wrong for pushing this? Can I still play the game? Should I let it die? I mean, I think you know what the answer is. I can still play. I said it when I retired [in March]. Now I've had a change of heart about playing but I've always known I can still play."

Favre said Alherich asked him point-blank if Childress or anybody with the Vikings enticed him to play again.

"I told Milt, 'No, I wasn't [enticed],'" said Favre. "I told Milt and Roger Goodell that if talking to teams is tampering, then there's about seven-to-10 teams that are guilty of tampering. But Brad isn't going to try to entice me because he knows that even if he wanted me to play there, it's not going to happen. The Packers aren't going to let that happen.

"So Brad and I, yeah, we talk and we exchange text messages. The Packers know that. After we beat them last year, Brad sent me a text message, teasing me how a gray-haired quarterback could still play. And the Packers were aware of that because I shared a laugh with 'em about that."

Favre adamantly denied reports that the Packers had evidence of his communications with Childress because they had the phone records from Favre's team-issued cell phone.

"That's just bogus," said Favre. "I don't have a Packers' cell phone. Never have. I told Ted [on Thursday] that he and [coach Mike] McCarthy needed to clear up this cell phone thing. I told him they needed to get in front of the media and admit that I don't have one of their cell phones. And Ted said, 'Well, I think somebody already squashed that [story].' But that isn't enough. They need to get up and admit it's ridiculous and bogus."

Thompson did not immediately return a phone message to respond to Favre's version of the story.

you couldn't be more right. why do the favre proponents think that he's that omnipotent that he can come in and master an entire playbook and build a solid chemistry with the entire offense in one training camp? favre is great, but he definitely isn't god so he shouldn't be anointed as such. football is a team sport and favre isn't the upgrade people love to assume. is he better than clemens? definitely. better than pennington? debatable. yeah, he's got the eons better arm, but penny's got the eons better brain. INTs run rampant with both 10 and 4, so that argument is a wash. people say they'd rather watch favre throw 5 picks in one game instead of watching penny throw 1 that goes for a pick 6 at/near the end of the game, but let's be honest folks you're not gonna be happy with any QB who throws a pick. the favre aura is going to have you justify such atrocities and provide you a veiled sense of content.

ultimately, i'd like to see clemens learn from penny if only for the sake of having a complete QB. favre is more like clemens in terms of skill set, but he can't/won't teach clemens his instincts. am i the only one who recognizes the benefit of having a strong-armed QB who actually knows how to read defenses and audible accordingly? people argue over the dink and dunk, but no one cares to acknowledge that fact that logic dictates if you're WRs/TEs are blanketed downfield, attempting to force it will most likely result in an INT. and i'll say it yet again, penny can't teach clemens how to throw the pick 6 out because clemens can't throw that soft, but penny can teach him when to realize the dink and dunk is the best option; as unsexy to the majority of you as that sounds.

There is no debate. Favre is clearly the better QB. When Favre throws INTs they are generally because he is trying to make something happen, and they're usually really deep so they don't really hurt. Meanwhile Chad will throw ****ty INTs on ordinary plays because "he didn't see" someone (Urlacher for instance), he was pressured (see the throw aways whenever anyone puts a hand on him), or when he's trying to throw beyond 10 yards (see any out pattern, ever).

The Chad having football smarts is purely a media made fiction. Throwing dump offs all the time doesn't make you a genius. You want football smarts? Guys like Peyton and Brady, regardless of if you hate them, are infinitely smarter. You do not see Chad calling the offense, and if he is, all he's doing is calling dunk and dunk all the time. But we know he isn't since this has come up before, and usually Chad blames Schott, and Schott responds that Chad is allowed to audible but that he doesn't. A smart QB audibles, that's kind of what being smart means, getting the mismatches you want and taking advantage of them.

I still think Chad is most similar to Drew Bledsoe in terms of reads, except he doesn't have the arm to make the plays Bledsoe could make. Sometimes I wonder if people even know what a read is, or even make then during the games themselves. I'm fairly certain that everybody that says Chad makes great reads has never made a read in their lives, but maybe I am overstepping there. I just am not impressed.

There is no debate. Favre is clearly the better QB. When Favre throws INTs they are generally because he is trying to make something happen, and they're usually really deep so they don't really hurt. Meanwhile Chad will throw ****ty INTs on ordinary plays because "he didn't see" someone (Urlacher for instance), he was pressured (see the throw aways whenever anyone puts a hand on him), or when he's trying to throw beyond 10 yards (see any out pattern, ever).

The Chad having football smarts is purely a media made fiction. Throwing dump offs all the time doesn't make you a genius. You want football smarts? Guys like Peyton and Brady, regardless of if you hate them, are infinitely smarter. You do not see Chad calling the offense, and if he is, all he's doing is calling dunk and dunk all the time. But we know he isn't since this has come up before, and usually Chad blames Schott, and Schott responds that Chad is allowed to audible but that he doesn't. A smart QB audibles, that's kind of what being smart means, getting the mismatches you want and taking advantage of them.

I still think Chad is most similar to Drew Bledsoe in terms of reads, except he doesn't have the arm to make the plays Bledsoe could make. Sometimes I wonder if people even know what a read is, or even make then during the games themselves. I'm fairly certain that everybody that says Chad makes great reads has never made a read in their lives, but maybe I am overstepping there. I just am not impressed.

so what your saying is when penny throws an INT he's not trying to win a game? and i guess the INT favre threw in the nfc championship game against the giants last year had no bearing on his team's outcome, huh? tell me: who played in the SB last year? oh! it wasn't favre and the pack? you're argument isn't sound. anytime a QB throws a pick, it damn sure isn't because he wasn't "trying to make something happen." a majority of chad's INTs were a result of his physical limitations and not stupidity, unlike favre whose INTs mostly stem from his stubbornness (i.e. deciding in the huddle which receiver he's going to regardless of the coverage).

furthermore, chad was a rhodes scholar candidate. i'm pretty sure you're completely oblivious as to what that means, so i'll keep it simple for you. only truly smart people get that scholarship. he's true student of the game, unlike favre who didn't even know what a nickel defense was until his back-up QB told him some time after he got to green bay. also, if you've ever watched a jet game you had to have seen penny audible. everyone in this forum has seen that. and yes, i always try to read a defense. i can't always pick out the blitzer or recognize the coverage, but that's why i'm not playing QB. show a little more respect for the guys that are doing it because they obviously know infinitely more than either of us about the game.

something tells me you're just going to argue that i didn't read any of what you wrote and call me an a-hole for it, so this is where i stop wasting my time on you... for now...

The Pennington backers can say the interceptions, most of them anyway, were due to his "physical limitations" in the past, but not in 2007. In 2007 Pennington was making stupid throws at stupid times, mainly in the 4th quarter, the worst possible time to screw up and make a mistake. Also, being a Rhodes Scholar means jack **** on the Football field. Some straight A wizz kid can't exactly jump on the field, read defenses to perfection and lead teams to the playoffs and beyond. Classwork grades mean nothing in the NFL.

Due to his physical limitations Chad shouldn't be anything more than a back-up and tutor to a starting Quarterback. He would be an excellent insurance policy but the fact that he is in a Quarterback competition for a starting job on a team packed with talent around him is just plainly a joke. If this organization truly is worried about Clemens its time to go out and give the Packers a 2nd or a conditional 2nd round pick for Brett's services as long as Brett can promise two years.

The Pennington backers can say the interceptions, most of them anyway, were due to his "physical limitations" in the past, but not in 2007. In 2007 Pennington was making stupid throws at stupid times, mainly in the 4th quarter, the worst possible time to screw up and make a mistake. Also, being a Rhodes Scholar means jack **** on the Football field. Some straight A wizz kid can't exactly jump on the field, read defenses to perfection and lead teams to the playoffs and beyond. Classwork grades mean nothing in the NFL.

Due to his physical limitations Chad shouldn't be anything more than a back-up and tutor to a starting Quarterback. He would be an excellent insurance policy but the fact that he is in a Quarterback competition for a starting job on a team packed with talent around him is just plainly a joke. If this organization truly is worried about Clemens its time to go out and give the Packers a 2nd or a conditional 2nd round pick for Brett's services as long as Brett can promise two years.

That is patently false & based on absolutely nothing. It's just that most "wizz" kids have no athletic talent (let alone a QB's arm). But most of these so-called coaching geniuses are big-time nerds.

Football isn't THAT hard to break down. I'm sure a really smart nerd-geek, if he made it his focus in life, could easily read defenses to perfection as well as most of these dumbasses who majored in basket weaving. Unless you think breaking down a defense by looking at formations requires more intelligence & capacity for out-of-the-box thought than organic chemistry.

I don't doubt Chad is a very bright guy. If he wasn't, every coach and player who has crossed his path wouldn't so repeatedly say how smart he is. I mean, no one says that about Favre.

My problem with him is I think he is too afraid to make a mistake that he chooses the safe option a little too often. That (in my opinion anyway) is a combination of his sub-par arm strength & getting his offensive strategy education under Paul Hackett, the biggest play-calling puss of them all.

This is THE latest on Favre, posted just a few minutes ago. Just trying to keep all the Favre news in one thread.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Favre delays arrival to Packers camp at GM's request

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

Brett Favre has signed his letter seeking reinstatement to the Green Bay Packers but may not send it to the NFL until Monday or Tuesday.

Favre admitted in a telephone interview that he did not report to the Packers' camp Sunday with the rest of the team in part because general manager Ted Thompson pleaded with him to delay his arrival.

Such is the drama that continues to build around Favre.

He offered to compete for his old job but was told that wasn't possible.

He admits he has spoken to Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress but says it wasn't tampering.

He's open to a trade but not just to the New York Jets or Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He's hoping commissioner Roger Goodell can mediate the impasse that he has reached with the Packers.

"I asked Ted [saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' and Ted was just about shattered," said Favre in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

Consequently, Favre did not fax a letter he has signed to request his reinstatement as an active player to the league office on Saturday. That did not sit well with Favre's wife Deanna or his agent, James "Bus" Cook.

"Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, 'You're so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this," said Favre. "They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so."

Favre said that Thompson wasn't receptive to the veteran quarterback winning his job back from Aaron Rodgers. He relayed his most recent conversation Saturday with the GM.

"I said, 'Let me compete, you'll know I'll win this job' and Ted said again, 'Brett, things have changed. Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback.' It's pretty clear -- and this is what I told the commissioner -- that they want me to go away, stay retired. They would much rather see me in a Packers' uniform, paying me $12 million to be a backup -- which you know they really don't want -- rather than see in another uniform, no matter what they say. They'll drag this out, asking a king's ransom [in a trade], hoping it all goes away."

Goodell has spoken to Favre twice, most recently on Saturday.

"Roger is willing to help but he has to be careful," said Favre. "I told him I could easily send in this letter [of reinstatement] but they really don't want me there and it'll be a big circus. They play this both ways. Privately, they don't want me there. Publicly, if I sent in the letter but didn't show up right away, they could always fine me or say, `See, why isn't he here? He really doesn't want to play.' Give me my release and see if I want to play or not."

It appears Tuesday is Favre's soft deadline to report to camp or possibly be traded. According to Favre, Thompson asked him if he was interested in a trade. "Yeah, but not just to the teams you want me to go to," Favre said, relaying his conversation with the Packers' GM.

The Packers have given permission to the New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers to talk to Favre. The Jets have had conversations with Cook but have not talked directly to Favre.

Favre would not admit that the Vikings are his preferred team of choice but he confirmed he has spoken with Childress and admitted as much to both Goodell and NFL director of security Milt Alherich. The Packers filed a tampering complaint against the Vikings.

"I have never denied talking to Childress," said Favre. "I've known [Childress] for about 12 years going back to when he and Jay Norvell were assistants at Wisconsin and they used to come in and sit in our quarterback meetings. And then Brad went to Philadelphia to be with Andy Reid and, you know, Andy and I are big buddies so the relations continued.

'Like I told Milt and like I told the commissioner, I've spoken to Childress. I've spoken to Darrell Bevell [Vikings offensive coordinator], I've spoken to Andy Reid, I've spoken to Mike Sherman, Matt Millen, Steve Mariucci ... I've spoken to a lot of guys who are my friends and guys who have coached me, either talked to them or left messages."

Favre claims that his communications with many of those coaches, including Childress, was a matter of seeing if it was within reason to change his mind about retirement.

"I called them and asked them, 'Am I crazy? Am I wrong for pushing this? Can I still play the game? Should I let it die? I mean, I think you know what the answer is. I can still play. I said it when I retired [in March]. Now I've had a change of heart about playing but I've always known I can still play."

Favre said Alherich asked him point-blank if Childress or anybody with the Vikings enticed him to play again.

"I told Milt, 'No, I wasn't [enticed],'" said Favre. "I told Milt and Roger Goodell that if talking to teams is tampering, then there's about seven-to-10 teams that are guilty of tampering. But Brad isn't going to try to entice me because he knows that even if he wanted me to play there, it's not going to happen. The Packers aren't going to let that happen.

"So Brad and I, yeah, we talk and we exchange text messages. The Packers know that. After we beat them last year, Brad sent me a text message, teasing me how a gray-haired quarterback could still play. And the Packers were aware of that because I shared a laugh with 'em about that."

Favre adamantly denied reports that the Packers had evidence of his communications with Childress because they had the phone records from Favre's team-issued cell phone.

"That's just bogus," said Favre. "I don't have a Packers' cell phone. Never have. I told Ted [on Thursday] that he and [coach Mike] McCarthy needed to clear up this cell phone thing. I told him they needed to get in front of the media and admit that I don't have one of their cell phones. And Ted said, 'Well, I think somebody already squashed that [story].' But that isn't enough. They need to get up and admit it's ridiculous and bogus."

Thompson did not immediately return a phone message to respond to Favre's version of the story.

This was posted hours earlier.

http://jetnation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=919922&postcount=19

You must now repent with the customary punishment of tongue-cleaning BP's outer ear canal.

Are we still talking about Brett Favre?

when there's a good chance (from all reports) that our starting quarterback is going to be Chad Pennington....again...you better believe we'll still be talking about Farve

Here's a somewhat stupid question -

Could the Jets agress to terms w/GB, and then turn around & trade him to Minny like he & they want?

Would the Commish stomp that out since the League must approve all trades?

Would that kind of move 'blackball' the Jets in other GM's eyes?

IMO Favre isn't coming back. The old fart retired and then was like. "****!! I retired and everyone quit sucking my d#ck. I better find some way for everyone to start sucking again." What an attention whore.

Don't get me wrong I love Favre as a player how can you not, but he is NOT coming here so why can't we just move on and stop talking about it. Jetnation on SNY, MSG NY and Sports Nite on SNY are still talking about it too. I just want his name to stoping coming up with us because it's not going to happen. I love Mangini's response to the question "Favre's a great player, he plays for the packers and I'm happy with the QB's that are in this roster" dull answer, but the right one.

We have arguably one of the best lines in the league and our defense will be A LOT better so let the two QB's compete and I think either one will have a chance to succeed this season. Favre would be a bandaid to this team and who knows if it would even work out. The excitement in the city would be crazy and the hope to be a contender would be real, but he's not coming here it wont happen so why keep dwelling on it....

Listening to Boomer Essaisson on the FAN this morning he pointed out that Farve played 17yrs for the packers and knew the playbook in and out. He knew the playbook so well that he could make the plays in his sleep. He also played most of his career with the same teammates. That would not be the case if he comes to the Jets. He would have to learn the Jets playbook. In Green Bay, he's "God", a big Fish in a little pond. Here, he would be a QB on the 2nd class team in the shadows of the Superbowl champions and doormats for the Patriots. A little Fish in a big pond. The only player he would have any familiarity with is Bubba Franks. It would be a disaster. Boomer says there's no way Farve is coming here .

I tend to agree. He's 39yrs old and he can still throw the long pass. He can also throw as many interceptions as many of you think Clemens will throw. I'm content enough to dance with the guys that we have. Whomever wins the QB job, I'm behind him. On paper, we have a very improved team this year and barring any unforeseen, our team should fair well.

Did the same thing when we had all the "Curtis Martin is a warrior" nonsense right before he was done. Same idea-football players do not age like wine, quite the opposite in fact. What can we expect from Favre? based on this, not much. Here's a guy who's offseason workouts seem to consist of 3 activities-riding his tractor around his farm, keeping the media at his beck and call and having Peter King and John Madden give him happy endings.

Favre will be 39 in October.Running around these numbers-if Favre were to come her and have a great season, or even replicate his 2007, itwould arguably be UNPRECEDENTED IN NFL HISTORY. Stop the madness! Don't buy the hype!

Yes, Pennington and Clemens will probably not approach Favre's 2007 numbers. And neither would Favre -

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FavrBr00.htm

My thought-based on NFL history, what can you expect from a 39-year old HoF QB, as points of comparison. And there aren't many. And the results are damn ugly. may be you could point to Elways winning at 38(with Terrell Davis doingt he heavy lifting;heck the Jets should've won in 1998!); Montana,Simms and Moon managing decent teams to playoff berths, and...uh, that's about it. The rest of the 38/39 QB guys did really poorly.

George Blanda- kinda washed up, picked up by the AFL, not sure if there' much point to such a compsrsion.The farther you go back(past say the merger or mid-1960s, the less likely any comparsion works-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlanGe00.htm

Charley Conerly-same thing-probably not applicable, not HoFer anyway-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ConeCh00.htm

Len Dawson-doing not very good at 39/40-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DawsLe00.htm

Elway-done after 38-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00.htm

Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer-servicable, nothing more, at the end-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KilmBi00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JurgSo00.htm

Montana-done after 38, but still very good. Though keep in mind, Paul Hackett was running (ruining?) the KC O. That doesn't seem to mean much with a guy like favre-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MontJo01.htm

Warren Moon-interesting case. Very effective at the end into his 40s. But again,like Montana, more of a game manager than Favre ever has been-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoonWa00.htm

Stabler-abysmal at 39/40.Arguably the QB who's makeup is closest to Favre-not much of a workout guy, line'em up, sling it downfield. Frankly a scary comparison. No one with the Saints had the nerve to bench him-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StabKe00.htm

Tarkenton-good at 38 and then done.Much more mobile than Favre-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TarkFr00.htm

Tittle-a decent season at 38, but more remembered for that bloody picture in the Pitssburgh end zone than great QBing-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TittY.00.htm

Simms-a decent year at 39, and uncermoniously cut. Probably the best you could hope for-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SimmPh00.htm

Vinny T- brittle after 38, and sabotaged by an idiot HC and OC.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TestVi00.htm

Unitas-solid up to 38, and then some ugly games, and some ugly pictures in Bolts powder blues-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/U/UnitJo00.htm

Kurt Warner-younger than Favre right now, probably a whole bunch cheaper and more coachable-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WarnKu00.htm

Here's a somewhat stupid question -

Could the Jets agress to terms w/GB, and then turn around & trade him to Minny like he & they want?

Would the Commish stomp that out since the League must approve all trades?

Would that kind of move 'blackball' the Jets in other GM's eyes?

They could, but that would probably end a lot of chances for the Jets to trade with most NFL teams for a long, long time. At least as long as Tangini would be in house. I've thought of that scenario too, but I doubt it would happen. We need a better Quarterback than what we have so it would be stupid to do that to Green Bay.

Bugg I know where you are going with that and it makes sense. But if the Jets made this move they really need Favre to be better than Chad or Kellen. I don't think anyone would realistically ask him to put up 35 TDs, 15 INT kind of #s.

Can Brett be a game manager like Chad? Also can brett play with a torn rotator cuff? Those are the real questions.

Bugg I know where you are going with that and it makes sense. But if the Jets made this move they really need Favre to be better than Chad or Kellen. I don't think anyone would realistically ask him to put up 35 TDs, 15 INT kind of #s.

Can Brett be a game manager like Chad? Also can brett play with a torn rotator cuff? Those are the real questions.

He simply doesn't have the intangibles of Chad, that's all that matters. It's unfortunate too because that Favre guy had so much potential.

Intangible my hiney. The question becomes what's the best case scenario,and what's most likely? And given NFL history as above, you are asking way too much for Favre to repeat 2007 at age 39. Factor in the cap room, the draft picks and the circus Favre has become,and it's a bad idea. It also goes against everthing this braintrust ahs been preaching since they got here. In fact it's such more likely he falls on his face like Stabler than manages to run an offense effectively as Moon, Simms and Elway did at about the same age. If they're that uncomfortabe with Pennington and Clemens, they should've explored the other options like Chris Simms or Kurt Warner or Jake Plummer or Jon Kitna than engaged in this Favre sideshow. Because even if they get him, he's probably not going to help. The FO and CS should've done this in March, not now.

Intangible my hiney. The question becomes what's the best case scenario,and what's most likely? And given NFL history as above, you are asking way too much for Favre to repeat 2007 at age 39. Factor in the cap room, the draft picks and the circus Favre has become,and it's a bad idea. It also goes against everthing this braintrust ahs been preaching since they got here. In fact it's such more likely he falls on his face like Stabler than manages to run an offense effectively as Moon, Simms and Elway did at about the same age. If they're that uncomfortabe with Pennington and Clemens, they should've explored the other options like Chris Simms or Kurt Warner or Jake Plummer or Jon Kitna than engaged in this Favre sideshow. Because even if they get him, he's probably not going to help. The FO and CS should've done this in March, not now.

Bill Parcells said it a long time ago-once a player even thinks about retirement-he is done. he is mentally checked out.

Football is not something you come in and out of like a book or a hobby. It is a 365 day commitment. Physically amn mentally.

Even if the player is of a sandlot variety who makes things up as he goes.

Bill Parcells said it a long time ago-once a player even thinks about retirement-he is done. he is mentally checked out.

Football is not something you come in and out of like a book or a hobby. It is a 365 day commitment. Physically amn mentally.

Even if the player is of a sandlot variety who makes things up as he goes.

While i would generally agree with this, the same player we are talking about disproved that theory last year by putting up very nice numbers. I don't really want Brett but if Pennington is going to be the QB i'd take Brett in a heartbeat.

Archived