Farve contemplating a return?

Alk

Bill Parcells said it a long time ago-once a player even thinks about retirement-he is done. he is mentally checked out.

Football is not something you come in and out of like a book or a hobby. It is a 365 day commitment. Physically amn mentally.

Even if the player is of a sandlot variety who makes things up as he goes.

Favre has been looking at the door for the last 3 seasons. Again, while durable so far, I don't se nay indication he was working like a dog all offseason. And the media asskissing is now beyond parody.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consider the Packers backed up against their own goal line.

Brett Favre followed through on his statements that he wanted to come out of retirement by faxing his reinstatement letter to the NFL on Tuesday, a source close to the quarterback told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Favre's actions now force Packers general manager Ted Thompson to make a decision. Favre told Mortensen on Sunday that the GM had pleaded with the quarterback not to show up at camp on Sunday, so that the situation could be resolved.

"I asked Ted [saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' And Ted was just about shattered," Favre said. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

With no concrete movement in the past few days, Favre made his move. The Packers have publicly committed to Favre's backup from last season, Aaron Rodgers, however.

Favre has offered to compete for the starting job in training camp, but he said in Sunday's interview that he was told that is not an option.

"It's pretty clear -- and this is what I told the commissioner -- that they want me to go away, stay retired," Favre said.

The Packers have also looked into trading their former franchise quarterback, but nothing tangible has happened on that front either.

Favre retired in March after 16 season in the league as the all-time leader in touchdown passes with 442.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Consider the Packers backed up against their own goal line.

Brett Favre followed through on his statements that he wanted to come out of retirement by faxing his reinstatement letter to the NFL on Tuesday, a source close to the quarterback told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Favre's actions now force Packers general manager Ted Thompson to make a decision. Favre told Mortensen on Sunday that the GM had pleaded with the quarterback not to show up at camp on Sunday, so that the situation could be resolved.

"I asked Ted [saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' And Ted was just about shattered," Favre said. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

With no concrete movement in the past few days, Favre made his move. The Packers have publicly committed to Favre's backup from last season, Aaron Rodgers, however.

Favre has offered to compete for the starting job in training camp, but he said in Sunday's interview that he was told that is not an option.

"It's pretty clear -- and this is what I told the commissioner -- that they want me to go away, stay retired," Favre said.

The Packers have also looked into trading their former franchise quarterback, but nothing tangible has happened on that front either.

Favre retired in March after 16 season in the league as the all-time leader in touchdown passes with 442.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

God I hate this douchebag more and more by the day.

Smart, very smart move by Brett. The sooner he reinstated himself, the sooner Thompson would be forced to trade him. Green Bay now cannot be looking for a 1st or 2nd round pick for him as it will be a circus starting tomorrow or Thursday.

Let the fun begin.

Good job Brett.

Seriously, why would this $hitbag feel the need to divulge information about what happened between him and the Packers front office behind closed doors? Just keep on feedin' that ego Brett. Dude might as well off himself when he's no longer capable of playing football because then nobody will give two $hits about him and he won't be able to live like that.

If Brett coming back causes the Packers problems, why the hell didn't they just release him? Who's being a jerk here?

There is a tradition that when a great QB is done, the club lets him seek whatever is the best deal with whatever club wants him to finish up. Unitas, Namath and Montana-probably the three best QBs of all time-all finished up with other clubs, and the parting was amicable. So should the deal with Brett.

The Packers don't want him, Brett has been fantastic for the Green Bay franchise, let the guy go and make whatever deal he wants to finish up. Green Bay is digging it's own hole.

If Brett coming back causes the Packers problems, why the hell didn't they just release him? Who's being a jerk here?

There is a tradition that when a great QB is done, the club lets him seek whatever is the best deal with whatever club wants him to finish up. Unitas, Namath and Montana-probably the three best QBs of all time-all finished up with other clubs, and the parting was amicable. So should the deal with Brett.

The Packers don't want him, Brett has been fantastic for the Green Bay franchise, let the guy go and make whatever deal he wants to finish up. Green Bay is digging it's own hole.

I am not sure exactly what the circumstances/options were when Unitas, Namath and Montana all left their teams. But it is interesting that they all ended up in the other conference. Can't blame the Packers for wanting that.

D. Maynard:

That's fair. Let Brett make whatever deal he wants in the AFC with whatever team wants him.

PS: In fact, the Packers could eliminate Houston, Tennessee and Jacksonville since they play them this year. That way the only way Favre could hurt the Packers is if his team meets them in the SuperBowl.

Favre couldn't run the Patriot's offense to save his a$$.

Your offense isn't that complicated and Favre could make any of the throws that Brady could make. Give me a break. How hard is it to throw it to Kevin Faulk out of the backfield, quick slants to Wes Welker and the deep ball or jump ball to Randy Moss?

Your offense isn't that complicated and Favre could make any of the throws that Brady could make. Give me a break. How hard is it to throw it to Kevin Faulk out of the backfield, quick slants to Wes Welker and the deep ball or jump ball to Randy Moss?

truth....Alk pwned by 124

As much as the Patriots throw the ball, Favre would have 12 picks by the halfway point of the season.

As much as the Patriots throw the ball, Favre would have 12 picks by the halfway point of the season.

And more than 30-35 Touchdowns too. ;)

BTW, Favre threw less than 1 TD a game last season with a team that had a garbage, non exsistent running game until December and with less at the Wide Receiver position from 1-3 than the Patriots. He also didn't have a good receiver out of the backfield either.

Consider this: Favre has never had a truly outstanding wide receiver to throw to. He's one of the few really great QBs who didn't. Imagine if he ever gets one.

Agreed.

Favre's best receiver he's ever had was Antonio Freeman (Okay, maybe you can make a case for Donald Driver now). The guy has done it with, at best, #2 Receivers acting as #1's, but mostly scrub reserves who have started and he's made better than what they are on the field.

REPORT: PACKERS WILLING TO PAY FAVRE NOT TO PLAY

Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2008, 11:10 p.m.

The primary criticism of the manner in which the Packers have handled the current drama regarding quarterback Brett Favre is that the Packers want to have it both ways; they want Favre not to play for them, and they want him not to play for anyone else. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has made it clear that the Packers won

They just know he is done, tired, washed up.

They want nothing to do with him and they dont want him to **** up his legacy which means the world to their organization.

LOL

favre > rodgers on all levels

just trade dude to the Jets for a 5th rounder

Archived