Farve contemplating a return?

Alk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A source close to the negotiations told ESPN's Ed Werder on Saturday that Favre has developed misgivings about the proposed deal because it fails to accomplish his primary objective in deciding to unretire -- namely, it would not put him back on the football field.

After talking to Packers president Mark Murphy about the non-playing marketing deal Wednesday, Favre confirmed to Werder that he was actively weighing it.

The Packers hold Favre's rights until his current contract expires after the 2010 season.

This bothers me to no end. Another frackin' player/agent/team using us as bait to defer a players attempt to be traded to another team for more money in the same division so his "ancillary" businesses continue to make more frackin' money!

Favre should just stay home in Louisiana, get eaten by a gator & call it a day!

I say we move on!

As much as I want him on this team, he's the biggest attention whore I've ever came across.

so is Ted Thompson

who's doign everything he can to elevate the sitatuion into more rediculous scenerios (a 10 year marketing plan? wtf)

Sources: Goodell likely to act on Favre reinstatement by Monday

ESPN.com news services

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will likely move on Brett Favre's reinstatement by Monday, in effect creating a Tuesday deadline to complete a Packers marketing deal for the three-time MVP, league and team sources told ESPN's Wendi Nix on Saturday.

The sources said Goodell feels the situation has gone on long enough and wants both sides to have an incentive to make a decision. One of the sources said no final money figures have been hammered out.

"Both parties are talking, the Green Bay Packers and Brett," Goodell said in an interview with the NFL Network on Saturday. "And I think the discussions are moving ahead. I would hope that we would have something resolved by Monday."

Once Goodell confirms Favre's reinstatement, the Packers would have 24 hours to respond.

Goodell visited the Cincinnati Bengals' training camp on Saturday before heading north to Canton, Ohio, for the weekend's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

"I'm not trying to interject myself," Goodell said in Georgetown, Ky., according to The Associated Press. "I was interjected into it because there was a tampering charge initially. I'm not looking for things to interject myself to. It's an issue that needs to be addressed because of the competing interests. You want to make sure it's done properly and within our rules. This is an issue that ultimately has to be decided between Brett and the Packers."

Their potential agreement, worth a reported $25 million over 10 years, might end Favre's bid to return just months after retiring. It also would likely keep him from reporting to Packers training camp and a team that is not planning to start him at quarterback for the first time since 1992.

But there have been indications that Favre was wavering on the offer.

A source close to the negotiations told ESPN's Ed Werder on Saturday that Favre has developed misgivings about the proposed deal because it fails to accomplish his primary objective in deciding to unretire -- namely, it would not put him back on the football field.

After talking to Packers president Mark Murphy about the nonplaying marketing deal on Wednesday, Favre confirmed to Werder that he was actively weighing it.

The Packers hold Favre's rights until his current contract expires after the 2010 season.

Tensions have built between Favre and the team over the past several weeks.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy again praised his players for not allowing the Favre situation to distract them.

"What's going on between Brett and the organization is something that the players and coaches, we cannot handle," McCarthy said Saturday. "We're not involved in it. I think they did a good job from a responsibility standpoint dealing with it for about two days, but the focus has been on improving."

Earlier this week, Favre sent a letter to Goodell requesting to be reinstated from the team's reserve/retired list. But Goodell has held off approving the request, hoping the two sides could resolve their differences.

"Primarily, it starts with the fact, does Brett want to play football?" Goodell said. "The second is, do the Packers want him to play for the Packers. Those are the two principal points that have to be resolved. And only two parties can make that determination, not me."

Goodell said both parties are being "reasonable."

"They're difficult, emotional issues," Goodell said. "They're important to the future of both of them."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

That's all fine and good, but you still are ignoring the fact that Farve was retired in March, so why should have Greenbay been doing anything?

He might have retired early in March, but that "$20 million" offer to stay retired was made several months ago. Was it April?

If so, then Favre must have considered unretiring at some point before that. So negotiations for his "unretirement" have been going on since spring.

The Packers should have said then: "If you unretire early, we might be able to swing a trade for you to a contender in the other league. The longer you wait, the more difficult that trade gets." Instead, the Packers dragged his unretiring out, hoping he'll quit eventually.

He might have retired early in March, but that "$20 million" offer to stay retired was made several months ago. Was it April?

If so, then Favre must have considered unretiring at some point before that. So negotiations for his "unretirement" have been going on since spring.

The Packers should have said then: "If you unretire early, we might be able to swing a trade for you to a contender in the other league. The longer you wait, the more difficult that trade gets." Instead, the Packers dragged his unretiring out, hoping he'll quit eventually.

Regardless, he did not announce he wanted to play untill after the draft, it was Brettina that could not make up his mind, not the Packers.

I saw the Packers' own timeline on this-that's the Packers' version of events. Even they admit they were in talks with Brett about coming back as early as late March. Right about then the "20 million" stay retired offer was made, (I put the figure in quotes because the upfront monetary value is less than half that). By the way, the Packers'; own timeline did not mention how early that stay retired offer was given-clearly the Packers are trying to convince the public that Brett sprang this unretirment thing on them all at once.

Back in April the local sportscaster played a clip of an interview with Favre where he talked about his retirement. The sportscaster joked at the end, "That guy sounds so unretired". Anyone who listened to Favre talk since late March knew he was coming back, whether he Favre knew it himself or not. A smart, efficient front office sees problems on the horizon and deals with them before they become big problems. A smart front office would have had the whole deal done before the draft and Favre would be working out with his new team today.

By the way, have you considered that by retiring and unretiring instead of just continuing on, Favre did the front office a favor? Because if he had not retired, it would have been very difficult for the Packers to install Rodgers as the starting QB after Favre led the team to within an overtime of the SuperBowl. They would have at least demanded an open competition. This way Favre retires, the understudy gets officially promoted, and Favre is in no position to expect his starter's job back when he returns. So while the Packers publicly moan how Favre's retirment-unretirement is causing them such problems, consider how big a problem they would have installing Rodgers if Favre never retired in the first place.

No way he is still a Packer by Tuesday morning, IMO. He certainly picked a perfect time to cause a circus with the Green-Gold scrimmage at Lambeau tonight with 60+ thousand fans in attendance. Boy this is going to be fun and interesting over the next 24-48 hours.

Lets go Jets, make it happen.

Favre may be on his way to GB but he wont be there long.I see a trade being imminent by mid week. Its too much of a distraction for GB to handle.The NYJETS are mum on the subject which could be a good thing.Mangini will not allow the NYJETS to pass on his talent and strong arm for a team that desperately needs it.Come on green vs white game 10-7 final surely 17 points total is not satisfying to anyone in the NYJETS organization.

Favre may be on his way to GB but he wont be there long.I see a trade being imminent by mid week. Its too much of a distraction for GB to handle.The NYJETS are mum on the subject which could be a good thing.Mangini will not allow the NYJETS to pass on his talent and strong arm for a team that desperately needs it.Come on green vs white game 10-7 final surely 17 points total is not satisfying to anyone in the NYJETS organization.

I don't think it is the Jets you need push. My bet is the little baby can't handle the big city.

according to espn Favre and his family are at another meeting now, and a deal should get done. He wants to go to Minnesota, but the Packers wont allow it.

So if the pack dont give him what he wants then it looks like the trade is coming to NY.

But then again Favre must accept the trade.

personally im happy with Chad, but I figure I would report the news I heard.

Brett Favre doesnt want to be a New York JET. I wish all of you would stop punishing yourselves with this sh*t already. He does not want to come here.

If he does come here, I'll be happy to eat lots and lots of crow, but Brett will not be a JET!

Archived