Farve contemplating a return?

Alk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you didn't want McFadden, either. Imagine Favre and McFadden in the Jets backfield? Wow.

Perhaps the Jets should do the exact opposite of what you wish. Let us know next spring who you don't like with your #1 pick. :)

Clearly because McFadden has proven without a doubt despite not even playing a pre-season game that we should have traded up to get him. We would have probably been odds on favorites to win behind noodle legs fumbles, and the Cowboys gunslinging ints. I bet Favre is holding out till the Raiders make an offer.

Or maybe I don't think a 1 or 2 year band-aid(who I don't think makes us a SB contender) thats only going to make us worse off after that year or 2, for at least a 2nd rounder is the answer.

1 or 2 year band aid??? so whos the future qb of the jets?? clemons?? cmon be serious... favre had a great year last year... and see if clemons doesnt have a good year they will draft a qb anyways... favre gives us th ebest chance to win

he probably will and he will most likely overpay to keep him away from the jets since you know the packers want him in the afc

You know he will overpay, John loves his QB's. Plus I think Favre will suck in Tampa he'll never learn their offense unless they dumb it down completely for him

Or maybe I don't think a 1 or 2 year band-aid(who I don't think makes us a SB contender) thats only going to make us worse off after that year or 2, for at least a 2nd rounder is the answer.

Look dude I normally agree with most of your posts but right now the coaching staff is mulling over starting Chad Pennington, who himself would probably at best be a 1-2 year option. IMO if Pennington is being considered over Clemens right now, there'r a problem with this 'QB of the future'.

Bring in the band aid, compete right now.

Come on guys the urgency is there.We have revamped this entire team many new faces alot of $$$$ spent. Should we enter the season with a weak armed QB or a QB who we arent sure can get the job done.Or start out the campaign with 1 of the best QBs to play the game. I know my answer.

With the PSL fees forthcoming acquiring Favre and making a playoff run and possibly a Super Bowl appearance this is a no brainer for NYJETS management.

I strongly believe this will happen.Acquiring Favre and releasing Pennington makes us an instant contender.The biggest question going into the season is who will be the QB and that answer is obvious the NYJETS want Brett Favre.

How is this good news? You have to be a moron to not want Favre. Favre is definitely not the Favre of 10 yrs ago, but Favre is much better than what we have now.

You know what this is like? This is like the year we got Pete Kendall. We needed an upgrade on the line badly, but those type of guys just don't float around on the Waiver Wire or trade market. Somehow, Denny Green cuts him and he falls into our lap. This is the same thing.

I do not believe I'm agreeing with you.

Well this is some really exciting news. I don't think it is the end of the world if the Jets do not get Favre, but with him on the team we could really do some damage. I think he should only play for 1 more year and at least Clemens would have a real QB to learn from now.

Well this is some really exciting news. I don't think it is the end of the world if the Jets do not get Favre, but with him on the team we could really do some damage. I think he should only play for 1 more year and at least Clemens would have a real QB to learn from now.

Clemens is another Nagle,O'Donnell or Foley.The future QB will be Ainge or Ratliff.

Look dude I normally agree with most of your posts but right now the coaching staff is mulling over starting Chad Pennington, who himself would probably at best be a 1-2 year option. IMO if Pennington is being considered over Clemens right now, there'r a problem with this 'QB of the future'.

Bring in the band aid, compete right now.

If I legitimately thought we could win a SB with Favre I would be all over this. You're all going nuts off of what he did last season but do you really believe he got that much better from the 4-12 season 2 years prior at 38 years old, or that the people around him got that much better. His former coach and GM seem to believe the latter. Our team sucked last year Favre wouldn't have sniffed a winning record with our team. Even Tom Brady looked like **** the 1 game he dealt with the kind of pressure our QB's faced all last season. I don't think we should be writing Kellen a second round pick off with the limited amount of time we got to see him play with no line to do it behind. Now everyone wants to throw away another second round pick, being that I don't think a 39 year old gunslinger who throws untimely int's can lead a team past 3 solid teams in the playoffs, I diagree. I don't want to be a 1 or 2 and done team I've seen that before. I want a SB.

**** Favre, get Casey Printers.

Not even I can disagree with this

If I legitimately thought we could win a SB with Favre I would be all over this. You're all going nuts off of what he did last season but do you really believe he got that much better from the 4-12 season 2 years prior at 38 years old, or that the people around him got that much better. His former coach and GM seem to believe the latter. Our team sucked last year Favre wouldn't have sniffed a winning record with our team. Even Tom Brady looked like **** the 1 game he dealt with the kind of pressure our QB's faced all last season. I don't think we should be writing Kellen a second round pick off with the limited amount of time we got to see him play with no line to do it behind. Now everyone wants to throw away another second round pick, being that I don't think a 39 year old gunslinger who throws untimely int's can lead a team past 3 solid teams in the playoffs, I diagree. I don't want to be a 1 or 2 and done team I've seen that before. I want a SB.

When I saw Kellen Clemens play, I saw a scared QB. Sure, the line may have been the cause, but when I see an athlete look scared, that's not a good thing under ANY circumstances. One thing I'll grant Chad Pennington. He competes and he's not scared. He doesn't have the physical tools (that Pittsburgh Playoff game, when he completely tore his shoulder unfortunately probably ended his career.. yes, he hurt his shoulder MORE in that game. It wasn't completely torn before that game), but at least he's not SCARED.

Kellen looked SCARED, and I don't like that 1 bit.. I don't believe that he's the answer. I hope I'm wrong, but a scared athlete is a below average athlete.

tampa would seem the most likely destination, gruden collects QBs like they're pokemon. plus favre is much more familiar with the system gruden runs since gruden sprouted out of holmgren's coaching tree. so, it takes a lot of the work off of his getting acclimated to a new program. add to that the fact that tampa is in a better position to make a somehwhat legitimate push and it ain't a hard call for favre to make.

the jets are going to demand that favre commit to multiple years (at least 2 or 3) without any of his "will i, won't i" offseason rhetoric. something favre just will not do, especially if things don't go swimmingly his first season here. and that is the most likeliest of scenarios because he'd have to learn shotty's system in a month or so, which is no easy task for any QB. on top of that, favre is older than both his HC and OC, and i can see him taking the i know better than you approach at certain points during the season, which would undermine the CS and wreak havok on the overall mentailty of the team.

favre is one of the great QBs, i have never denied that, but he would just not be a good fit for this team. moreover, history shows that most great to elite QBs who've switched teams tend to not fair well in their new settings (see namath, unitas). everyone talks about how we're a win now team and how favre instantly puts in contention, but at what cost? fans will be happy just to see favre take us to the playoffs, lose in the first round, deal with his retirment yet again after one season here and leave us in the exact same boat as we're in now.

tampa would seem the most likely destination, gruden collects QBs like they're pokemon. plus favre is much more familiar with the system gruden runs since gruden sprouted out of holmgren's coaching tree. so, it takes a lot of the work off of his getting acclimated to a new program. add to that the fact that tampa is in a better position to make a somehwhat legitimate push and it ain't a hard call for favre to make.

the jets are going to demand that favre commit to multiple years (at least 2 or 3) without any of his "will i, won't i" offseason rhetoric. something favre just will not do, especially if things don't go swimmingly his first season here. and that is the most likeliest of scenarios because he'd have to learn shotty's system in a month or so, which is no easy task for any QB. on top of that, favre is older than both his HC and OC, and i can see him taking the i know better than you approach at certain points during the season, which would undermine the CS and wreak havok on the overall mentailty of the team.

favre is one of the great QBs, i have never denied that, but he would just not be a good fit for this team. moreover, history shows that most great to elite QBs who've switched teams tend to not fair well in their new settings (see namath, unitas). everyone talks about how we're a win now team and how favre instantly puts in contention, but at what cost? fans will be happy just to see favre take us to the playoffs, lose in the first round, deal with his retirment yet again after one season here and leave us in the exact same boat as we're in now.

What evidence do you have to make ANY of your statements... .None.

Not even I can disagree with this

I agree 110% with what you say.

Favre would drive alot of us over the edge. Can you imagine what this place would be like if he cost the Jets a shot at the Super Bowl the way he cost the Packers in 2003 with that ridiculous INT he threw to Brian Dawkins in OT in Divisional Playoffs that year ? This place would suffer a meltdown never seen before.

He would make things interesting but in the long run the fans would turn on him really quick with a couple of those kind of picks.

wow, i just got home and saw the report on ESPN, logged on here and read 18 pages of everyone saying the same thing. Jets are rebuilding NO favre; with favre we can go to the playoffs, better than pennington, takes reps away from Clemens, that about sums it up.

Well to add to the 18 pages here is my 2 cents. I have bleed green since the day i was born and I have never in my lifetime had something to believe in with this team. Even when we were in the AFC championship game the couple of times (against the steelers and broncos) it just never felt right. While the team is rebuilding they are doing it the right way, adding FA that will help not only immediately but in the next 5 years and drafting smart players who in 3 years will either be able to start or guys (revis, harris, gholston) who can be immediate impact players. What do we have to lose by going after Favre? What makes anyone think that Clemens will be ready in 2 years, what makes anyone think that Jenkins and Faneca will still be effective in 3 years? My honest opinion, is that this team is the perfect mix of veteran and young talent, the exact recipe you need to win in this league, the only thing we are missing is the QB.

Pennington is a smart QB, tons of leadership abilities and accuracy, he will always have a place in this league. Just not as our starting QB, he has taken us as far as he can, this is not the right situation for him. Clemens is too green behind the ears, the kid has a cannon of an arm and no accuracy (hmm sounds familiar). he is not ready to lead this team yet, but i do believe in time he will be able to.

That brings me to Favre. The guy is a warrior, a leader and most importantly a winner. Look at the team. the o-line is our strong point once again, we have a dominating left side of the line and solid protection on both ends, not to mention one of the best blocking fullbacks in the game. Running back, a solid runner in Jones with the lightning provided by Washington, receivers, speed in Coles hands in Cotch (I love stuckey watched him a lot at Clemson, he will be good). We have all the talent on offense that brett did not have last year. How could you not want him to come to NY? if we pass on this we are the same ol' jets, not willing to make that one last step towards greatness, accepting of mediocrity. However, even if we do get Brett, the offense will be spectacular, however it is all up to the defense to not allow 180+ yards on the ground and to confuse opposing QBs. Favre is the missing link here, he elevates us, even for one year, he gives up hope. We are still a good football team without him, but trust me, we will not be great, if we do make the playoffs we will be out in the first round because of inconsistent QB play. Favre has all the intangibles of Penny with a better arm than Clemens.

IT JUST MAKES SENSE.

Favre to Jets? Mere mention jolts AFC East icon_report_hi.gif

July 25, 2008 2:04 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

The idea of Brett Favre slinging footballs for the New York Jets elicited a very distinct reaction this afternoon throughout the AFC East.

Awwww. Please tell me you're kidding.

No, we're not.

As ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported today, the Green Bay Packers have given the Jets permission to speak with Favre. The Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers reportedly want the record-setting quarterback, and the Packers appear ready to trade him.

The Jets went 4-12 last season, struggling to mount any substantial offense with Chad Pennington or Kellen Clemens.

Suffice to say, the rest of the AFC East likes its chances against either of those two.

The dynamic would change radically with Favre in green and white.

As one AFC personnel man told me, it's too difficult to predict how Favre would benefit the Jets because his impact would rely on many moving parts. How fast does he learn the system? How quickly does he find chemistry with his receivers? How does he handle new surroundings -- and what certainly will be a relentless media -- after so many years in a homogenous setting?

But one thing opponents can be sure of: Favre's vertical ability would transform the Jets enough to make defensive coordinators squirm. No more touch-and-feel Pennington plays. No more safe calls because of Clemens' inexperience and questionable decisions.

Favre's presence would remove the handcuffs. The card offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer holds on Sunday would look a whole lot different.

But would trading for Favre be a wise choice for the Jets?

The Jets would be making a substantial commitment to a player who can help them win now but won't be a part of their future. They would be asking an awful lot of an aging player -- one who already has retired once, mind you -- and asking him to rally a group of teammates he has never played with.

That might be too much to ask on a team with so many question marks.

The trade might not work, but the mere possibility Favre could join the Jets has created plenty of dread within AFC East offices.

When was the last time a Jets quarterback did that?

1 or 2 year band aid??? so whos the future qb of the jets?? clemons??

Quite obviously it isn't Clemons....if it was the Jets would not have even entertained the idea of signing Favre?

Broadway Brett has a nice ring to it

Archived