How is Chien-Ming Wang not an ace?

MagicBizkit87

Guys Wang is the Yankees # 1 starter. He is not an Ace.

An Ace is the guy that beats the other teams # 1 starter. What Ace would Wang beat with all other things being equal (run support, etc).

He is a good pitcher. There is no problem, he will win a lot of games. I just refuse to call him an Ace right now.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Ace is the guy that beats the other teams # 1 starter. What Ace would Wang beat with all other things being equal (run support, etc).

He is a good pitcher. There is no problem, he will win a lot of games. I just refuse to call him an Ace right now.

True, he'd never stand a chance against a true ace/former Cy Young winner in a guy like Roy Halliday unless he got tons of run support. Just sayin'

Really, it is all semantics.

I think that no one questions that Wang is teh "1 or ":ace" of teh Yankee staff.

he is teh guy that they rely on to stop any losing streak and teh guy that they look for in a big spot.

And he does a very good job at that.

Is he dominant in thye sexy stats like an "ace"? No. Beat he wins when he needs to teh majority of teh time.

No team could ask for more. They don't give style points.

Yankee Hater ;)

So you're saying that Wang never beats other teams #1's? If I recall right, Wang beat one of the best pitchers in the game, Roy Halladay on opening day. Whens the next excuse coming?

So you're saying that Wang never beats other teams #1's? If I recall right, Wang beat one of the best pitchers in the game, Roy Halladay on opening day. Whens the next excuse coming?

LOL.....just....lol

LOL.....just....lol

I don't see why you think it's funny, the guy has one playoff games, that was the first excuse, just because he sucked in last season's playoff games that doesn't make him someone comparable to Alex Rodriguez. The only players I see that are obviously better than Wang are:

Beckett

Sabathia

Halladay

Santana

Peavy

Other than that, Wang can be comparable to any other players. I may have missed maybe 1 or 2 other pitchers, but he can be comparable to anybody, and can beat anybody. Wang is an ace.

I don't see why you think it's funny, the guy has one playoff games, that was the first excuse, just because he sucked in last season's playoff games that doesn't make him someone comparable to Alex Rodriguez. The only players I see that are obviously better than Wang are:

Beckett

Sabathia

Halladay

Santana

Peavy

Other than that, Wang can be comparable to any other players. I may have missed maybe 1 or 2 other pitchers, but he can be comparable to anybody, and can beat anybody. Wang is an ace.

What I think is funny is that you're attacking Max like he's a Red Sox or Mets fan, when infact he's just being fair.

And, he's a Yankees fan :P

What I think is funny is that you're attacking Max like he's a Red Sox or Mets fan, when infact he's just being fair.

And, he's a Yankees fan :P

Whats wrong with attacking him for what he said? Are we not allowed to attack the admin of the site, and just say he's right all the time. I think Max would say that he wouldn't want that... lol

Whats wrong with attacking him for what he said? Are we not allowed to attack the admin of the site, and just say he's right all the time. I think Max would say that he wouldn't want that... lol

No...Im just saying, it's not like you're talking to someone with an obvious bias. He's a Yankees fan, so of everyone in threads like these, usually the people who are fans but say something along the lines of "hold on, he's not quite that good," are the most realistic.

Beckett

Sabathia

Halladay

Santana

Peavy

Wang is very good, but no one would confuse him with being dominant. He's definitely the Ace of the Yankees staff though.

I would arguably take all these guys over Wang right now.

Brandon Webb

Erik Bedard

John Smoltz

John Lackey (extremely underrated)

Fausto Carmona (I see him as a more dominant version of Wang with his power sinker)

Carlos Zambrano ( Maybe)

Wang is very good, but no one would confuse him with being dominant. He's definitely the Ace of the Yankees staff though.

Brandon Webb

Erik Bedard

John Smoltz

Fausto Carmona (I see him as a more dominant version of Wang with his power sinker)

Carlos Zambrano ( Maybe)

Brandon Webb is a sinker ball pitcher just like Wang, so actually those 2 are quite similar. I'll give you Bedard, I forgot about him. For John Smoltz, at this point in his career, he isn't better than him, but during his prime, he was. John Lackey, I agree with you that he's underrated, but I would put him in the same boat as Wang. Carmona, just like Webb is a sinker ball pitcher, so he'd be in the same boat with Wang as well. Zambrano blows, and is highly overrated. It is very easy to compare Wang to Webb, Lackey, and Carmona. I don't know how anybody can really say one is better than the other.

Brandon Webb

Erik Bedard

John Smoltz

Carlos Zambrano ( Maybe)

When he's on, Z is (in my opinion) capable of being the BEST in the league. Unfortunately, he has a tendancy to fly off from time to time.

Just curious, why no Santana or Young? (just two that stick out as not on the list)

Brandon Webb is a sinker ball pitcher just like Wang, so actually those 2 are quite similar. I'll give you Bedard, I forgot about him. For John Smoltz, at this point in his career, he isn't better than him, but during his prime, he was. John Lackey, I agree with you that he's underrated, but I would put him in the same boat as Wang. Carmona, just like Webb is a sinker ball pitcher, so he'd be in the same boat with Wang as well. Zambrano blows, and is highly overrated. It is very easy to compare Wang to Webb, Lackey, and Carmona. I don't know how anybody can really say one is better than the other.

Wang does not have the strike out pitch, the explosive sinker those guys have.

Oh, so when Brandon Webb strikes a batter out, it was a mistake.

Gotcha.

Seems to me a strike out pitch would sure come in handy with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs.

Dude, why are you putting words in my mouth? Why not actually read what I am saying instead of acting like an *******. You should know for a fact that sinker ballers do not aim for contact, besides actually Wang has worked on pitches during spring, and so far it's turned out well for him, especially in yesterday's start. So again, both Webb, and Carmona are still similar pitchers.

Dude, why are you putting words in my mouth? Why not actually read what I am saying instead of acting like an *******. You should know for a fact that sinker ballers do not aim for contact, besides actually Wang has worked on pitches during spring, and so far it's turned out well for him, especially in yesterday's start. So again, both Webb, and Carmona are still similar pitchers.

First you said "they aim for contact", now you say they don't

Who knows which it is with you. You seem to make things up as you go along, to support whatever side you are arguing, reason be damned.

Problem is, none of it has any basis in baseball. It is all stuff you make up.

I will not talk baseball with you anymore. You are the new Yankee homer (Madmike hands over the crown) who argues just to see his words in type.

Good luck.

Who knows which it is with you. You seem to make things up as you go along, to support whatever side you are arguing, reason be damned.

I will not talk baseball with you anymore. You are the new Yankee homer (Madmike hands over the crown) who argues just to see his words in type.

Good luck.

Throw JCB92387 a bone Scott. He isn't going to be content until we all call Wang an "Ace."

I'm not sure how he missed all of the posts in this thread that said Wang was a good pitcher and certainly the best starter the Yankees have. I guess that kind of praise just isn't good enough.

Throw JCB92387 a bone Scott. He isn't going to be content until we all call Wang an "Ace."

I'm not sure how he missed all of the posts in this thread that said Wang was a good pitcher and certainly the best starter the Yankees have. I guess that kind of praise just isn't good enough.

Im assuming he wants "Wang is better than Santana and Beckett."

Wang has won 19 games two years in a row and he's on a pace to do it again. He doesn't have amazing stuff but the guy just wins. He is the Yankees ace.

The team wins most of the time when he pitches. No one has said otherwise.

According to JCB, Tim Wakefield should also be an "ace" as he won 17 games last year.

The team wins most of the time when he pitches. No one has said otherwise.

According to JCB, Tim Wakefield should also be an "ace" as he won 17 games last year.

19 > 17

last time I checked

Plus Wang did it two years in a row and he'll probably do it again this year.

Another thing I have learned from this thread, besides that JCB9287654321 is a gigantic homer, is that Yankee fans vastly over-rate Roy Halladay.

Great point. Halladay happens to be the #1 starter for the Blue Jays. He is no ace.

Can I ask a question.... Why do you need validation that Wang is an ace?

What does it change? Do you get an extra win for it?

Do you get an extra out?

I dont get this entire argument. He's a good pitcher. He's been overlooked because of the other pitchers that have been on the staff. He isnt a loudmouth. He doesnt strikeout 20.

So you think he's an ace? Great. Wonderful. If that's what you want to think, fine. But do you really think everyone is going to climb aboard the Wang Train and tell you how great and wonderful of a poster you are because you were the first guy to call Wang an ace?

I've got an idea... if people here agree with JCB, pos. rep him and tell him how smart he is. That'll make him feel good.

Can I ask a question.... Why do you need validation that Wang is an ace?

What does it change? Do you get an extra win for it?

Do you get an extra out?

I dont get this entire argument. He's a good pitcher. He's been overlooked because of the other pitchers that have been on the staff. He isnt a loudmouth. He doesnt strikeout 20.

So you think he's an ace? Great. Wonderful. If that's what you want to think, fine. But do you really think everyone is going to climb aboard the Wang Train and tell you how great and wonderful of a poster you are because you were the first guy to call Wang an ace?

I've got an idea... if people here agree with JCB, pos. rep him and tell him how smart he is. That'll make him feel good.

the wang train

that sounds dirty

Good luck.

Yawn.

Archived