good news just in case we had a chance to retain Jordan

Mean Papi Green

Buckhalter to backup Westbrook

ESPN.com news services

Philadelphia Eagles: Unrestricted free agent tailback Correll Buckhalter, who missed two of his four NFL seasons with knee injuries, has reached a two-year contract agreement to return to the Eagles. The deal is somewhat surprising because, even with his past knee problems, Buckhalter was expected to generate solid interest in the free agent market.

Buckhalter will serve as the backup to Brian Westbrook in 2005 as he attempts once again to put a serious injury behind him.

"Correll has been a very productive back in our offense and we're glad to have him back in the mix," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "His rehabilitation process is going well and we expect him to contribute during the 2005 season."

The former Nebraska standout missed the entire 2004 season after tearing the patellar tendon in his right knee in a preseason game. He was sidelined the entire 2002 campaign when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a spring practice.

In the two seasons in which he was healthy, Buckhalter, a big, slashing runner, rushed for 1,128 yards.

I never really considered the Eagles to be a contender for Jordan anyway. Westbrook is a Pro-Bowl back and he's going to get his touches. I'd think Jordan would rather stay here and succeed Martin than having to split carries for another five years.

I never really considered the Eagles to be a contender for Jordan anyway. Westbrook is a Pro-Bowl back and he's going to get his touches. I'd think Jordan would rather stay here and succeed Martin than having to split carries for another five years.

i agree they weren't front runners but even still its one suitor out

Archived