Jets Rhodes Agree to 5yr 34M Ext.

Smizzy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this official? The last I heard was the Jets would not confirm it to NFL radio. (ofcourse that was early this morning, 7:00 am) and if so :yahoo:

transactions.gif?1155134878

Jets Sign Rhodes to Extension

Published: 04-10-08

pr-mic-medium.jpg?1160069598

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2127-jets-sign-rhodes-to-extension

The New York Jets have signed safety Kerry Rhodes to a contract extension. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Rhodes (6'3", 210) was originally chosen by the Jets in the fourth round (123rd overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft out of Louisville. He has started in all 48 regular-season games in his career, amassing 268 total tackles (205 solo), 10 interceptions, eight sacks, 25 passes defensed, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

In 2007, Rhodes led the Jets with a career-high five interceptions and recorded 68 tackles, three passes defensed, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery, which he returned 11 yards for a touchdown against the Giants. Rhodes tied for the team lead with four interceptions in 2006 and produced five sacks, the most by a defensive back in team history.

are we going to be able to afford our draft picks?

Tanny is a cap genius. He wouldn't have given this extension is there was any chance of not having enough money to sign the draft picks. Players salaries will be restructured, Drob will be offloaded... It will be OK, they have a plan.

transactions.gif?1155134878

Jets Sign Rhodes to Extension

Published: 04-10-08

pr-mic-medium.jpg?1160069598

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2127-jets-sign-rhodes-to-extension

The New York Jets have signed safety Kerry Rhodes to a contract extension. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Rhodes (6'3", 210) was originally chosen by the Jets in the fourth round (123rd overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft out of Louisville. He has started in all 48 regular-season games in his career, amassing 268 total tackles (205 solo), 10 interceptions, eight sacks, 25 passes defensed, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

In 2007, Rhodes led the Jets with a career-high five interceptions and recorded 68 tackles, three passes defensed, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery, which he returned 11 yards for a touchdown against the Giants. Rhodes tied for the team lead with four interceptions in 2006 and produced five sacks, the most by a defensive back in team history.

SWEET!!! thank you Sperm!!:yahoo::yahoo:

Tanny is a cap genius. He wouldn't have given this extension is there was any chance of not having enough money to sign the draft picks. Players salaries will be restructured, Drob will be offloaded... It will be OK, they have a plan.

He did a masterful job this year. The only issue might be so many new faces all at the same time. But if that doesn't turn out to be a factor, it's worked out well. We get this influx of talent all at once instead of a little at a time where we still suck but not at position-X or position-Y where we added one player here or there.

Two on the OL.

One on the DL at the key position.

One at LB (DE in 4-3 sets).

One at FB.

One at TE.

One for goal-line/short-yardage carries.

And re-signed our one player that must not get away.

Next year we'll re-sign Clemens if he's good enough in '08; otherwise we find someone else for '09 & keep him around as a backup for that year.

Here's the real funny part: that idiotic maneuver we did with Revis may turn out to be not so idiotic in the long run with the way contracts are skyrocketing. Overpaid for him for a rookie, but if he's really all that he'll be a bargain for that extra year. We'll still renegotiate/extend him after year 5 at the latest instead of year 4. But if he's a super-stud, that 5th year at $6M or whatever it is will seem like a drop in the bucket when the cap reaches $130-$140M. Even more so in case it's uncapped by then.

Another OLB or a bounce-back from Thomas, plus mediocre play from CB#2, and the only thing holding us back is QB. If we get just ok play from QB and the rest is in place, we can do major damage.

He did a masterful job this year. The only issue might be so many new faces all at the same time. But if that doesn't turn out to be a factor, it's worked out well. We get this influx of talent all at once instead of a little at a time where we still suck but not at position-X or position-Y where we added one player here or there.

Two on the OL.

One at FB.

One at TE.

Next year we'll re-sign Clemens if he's good enough in '08; otherwise we find someone else for '09 & keep him around as a backup for that year.

Here's the real funny part: that idiotic maneuver we did with Revis may turn out to be not so idiotic in the long run with the way contracts are skyrocketing. Overpaid for him for a rookie, but if he's really all that he'll be a bargain for that extra year. We'll still renegotiate/extend him after year 5 at the latest instead of year 4. But if he's a super-stud, that 5th year at $6M or whatever it is will seem like a drop in the bucket when the cap reaches $130-$140M. Even more so in case it's uncapped by then.

Another OLB or a bounce-back from Thomas, plus mediocre play from CB#2, and the only thing holding us back is QB. If we get just ok play from QB and the rest is in place, we can do major damage.

This really is excitnig. With the potential and all. But I can't let myself get too excited, I just can't, we are, after all, The New York Jets, and only we (the fans) know what I'm talking about.:confused0082:

after the kendall fiasco last year its great to see that the front office is capable of actually rewarding a player for good play & dedication.

this speaks volumes & bodes very well for management competence

It's a great sign. The FO has learned from past mistakes , unlike Detroit. :Nuts:

Two on the OL.

One at FB.

One at TE.

I agree that Tangini has done an excellent job this summer. Faneca, Jenkins, locking up Rhodes.

That being said, do you really like the Woody and Pace signings? Now that I think about it, giving Woody all that money was absurd considering there were similar players available (LJ Shelton) who would have cost a fraction of that. Pace got a ton of money for having one good year.

I hope the Pace and Woody additions will work out and I believe at least one of those players will be a big contributor, we sure gave a lot of money to two not-so great players in my opinion.

I agree that Tangini has done an excellent job this summer. Faneca, Jenkins, locking up Rhodes.

That being said, do you really like the Woody and Pace signings? Now that I think about it, giving Woody all that money was absurd considering there were similar players available (LJ Shelton) who would have cost a fraction of that. Pace got a ton of money for having one good year.

I hope the Pace and Woody additions will work out and I believe at least one of those players will be a big contributor, we sure gave a lot of money to two not-so great players in my opinion.

The Pace signing baffles me some. He will probably be a nice player, but they seem to have over paid him.

Woody I kind of like. What did we pay him? 5 million a year? Not all that much by today's standards. Woody was a very good player who ran into some bad luck. In 05 he hurt his foot, and because he couldn't work out blew up to almost 400 pounds when he came in last season. Was benched as a guard, lost some weight, came back and played very well as a tackle.

His real problem was he was badly out of shape. I read a very interesting thing during the course of a Cotchery interview right after Woody was signed.

Cotchery, who is always in great shape, was talking about that he was going to this specialized conditioning camp in the off season. Can't recall the name of the camp, but it is one of those very elite programs that a lot of the players go to right before the combine to get them into super shape for the combine. Cotchery mentioned during the interview that his new team mate Woody, was also at the camp.

Sounds like Woody is taking getting in shape very serious this season. I have a feeling we are in for a pleasant surprise.

After I read this article,

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/08/revis-deal-clouds-portions-of-round-one/

I thought the same thing Spermy. Revis potentially would be a big ticket FA if he was on the open market after year 4, so buying back the 2 years of his contract would be (hypothetically) cheaper anyway.

Woody - that's hard to say. Someone like Moore gets an average of $3M/yr or so (actually on his extension the average is $2.84M when you include the $5M roster bonus he's due next spring). That was also the prior season when contracts were a little lower (they do go up every year). On top of that he only plays one position (RG) and has never been above average at the position ever.

Now take Woody. He was signed the next season, so there will be some inflation in the contracts to begin with. He was once a pro bowler (whether it was deserved or not is subject to opinion, but awful linemen don't go to the pro bowl). His main issue has been his weight; when it's under control he's a solid lineman who's easily worth more than $2M/yr more than Moore. Now throw on top that he can play probably every position on the line except left tackle. His versatility alone is worth something (in dollars). He was probably worth about $4M/yr to start any one position. So we gave him $5M/yr. Given his versatility and what that gets us with an upcoming draft (and with Moore due a $5M roster bonus next year), it was probably worth it.

Now there's the flip side to all this: if he sucks again, like he did for a time in Detroit, then all this rationalization goes right out the window & it's an awful contract. But some of that $5M/yr is in incentives in the form of workout bonuses & weight clauses.

Pace...now that's a different situation. When I heard he might get a SB or guaranteed money (from Miami) of $14M or more I thought it was so ridiculous it bordered on funny. Then we go and guarantee $12M or whatever (but it's almost like guaranteeing $22M because he's due a $9M roster bonus next year & he's hardly cuttable after year one when we gave him an $11M signing bonus). This one is an enormous gamble. If he works out and becomes our Adalius Thomas then it's worthwhile to the Jets even if he's overpaid. It not only fills a position, but adds flexibility in that we don't have to reach for the position in the draft. But yeah, this is the one I'm concerned about. Hope it works out because we paid him a ton.

If nothing else, I like that it doesn't force our hands in the draft. That, and what the hell good is unspent cap room when you're making a serious push to be a superbowl contender?

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like the Pace signing. I think he'll wind up being a bargain in a few years. Lots of people were saying Wes Welker was overpaid at the start of the year, but nobody was saying that afterwards. Sometimes it's better to pay these guys a good amount in advance so that they don't even think about holdouts and just perform well.

Damien Woody I think is the riskier signing, but considering the state of our line, it was something we had to do. I think we will surprise people this year. As long as Chad isn't QB...

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like the Pace signing.

If $ wasn't the issue then the Pace signing was def. fulfilling a need. I just can't imagine him performing as well as he's getting paid, but he's not too old, we'll see...

As far as Rhodes is concerned, that's another one of my off-season wishes fulfilled. Thanks Tangini!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like the Pace signing. I think he'll wind up being a bargain in a few years. Lots of people were saying Wes Welker was overpaid at the start of the year, but nobody was saying that afterwards. Sometimes it's better to pay these guys a good amount in advance so that they don't even think about holdouts and just perform well.

Damien Woody I think is the riskier signing, but considering the state of our line, it was something we had to do. I think we will surprise people this year. As long as Chad isn't QB...

I know next to nothing about Pace. He seems overpaid given what he's accomplished in some 5 NFL seasons.

I neither like nor dislike the signing since I've never seen him play really (or never noticed him anyway). I'll let you know in a year whether I like it.

[i can't believe a ten-page thread didn't include an accurate mention of his guaranteed money!]

Kerry is getting $20,002,000.00 Guaranteed. Twenty million and 2K. Odd number? damn tootin'. The Jets wanted to make Rhodes the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL so they upped the former high-water mark of $20 MM (recieved by Bob 'the missle' Sanders) by a whopping 2 Grand.... Doesn't break the bank (much more) but definitely sends the statement that we feel Rhodes is the best in the biz.

**** yeah Jets!! It feels good to know our FO will take care of its own. This will hopefully attract future FA superstars (that think we have money left over).

Good for Kerry, he deserved it.

I know next to nothing about Pace. He seems overpaid given what he's accomplished in some 5 NFL seasons.

I neither like nor dislike the signing since I've never seen him play really (or never noticed him anyway). I'll let you know in a year whether I like it.

W over payed him because of the Fins. It was either because they wanted him and Tangini didn' want a division foe with a potential monster (if he pans out) or their offer was to raise ours up to get the monster (again, if he pans out)

Did that make any sense? Idon't knw if that transfered to my finger tips the way my brain was thinking it?

[i can't believe a ten-page thread didn't include an accurate mention of his guaranteed money!]

Kerry is getting $20,002,000.00 Guaranteed. Twenty million and 2K. Odd number? damn tootin'. The Jets wanted to make Rhodes the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL so they upped the former high-water mark of $20 MM (recieved by Bob 'the missle' Sanders) by a whopping 2 Grand.... Doesn't break the bank (much more) but definitely sends the statement that we feel Rhodes is the best in the biz.

**** yeah Jets!! It feels good to know our FO will take care of its own. This will hopefully attract future FA superstars (that think we have money left over).

What does our cap look like though?

What people never take into account in deals like this is the overall climate of contracts and the cap situation as a whole. People judge contracts by the standard of the past few years when it really doesn't work like that. Especially in a situation where the cap in increasing every year and there is talk about no cap at all. In 5 years when the cap is either not there or significantly higher than it is now the pace contract is going to be below market value for a guy who is he pans out is going to be a versatile guy who can rush the qb.

Attracting future FAs should be a little easier Id bet, some fans were concerned that this FO was being cheap and it would effect the talent we could pull in. It seems like that worry can be pushed to the back burner for awhile.

Archived