First review of GTA 4

madmike1

From the Xbox360 IGN review...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p5.html

Past GTA titles have had mild-to-serious framerate issues and technical glitches, because the games were trying to do far more than the PlayStation 2 could handle. While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected. That a game with great AI, an awesome physics engine and a detailed open world runs so well and with such short load times is a technical marvel. For that, I can forgive framerate issues and some noticeable aliasing.

grand-theft-auto-iv-20080425114816783-000.jpgThe world is yours online.

The art team gets major kudos for creating a living world. There is great texture work in the environments, a nice field-of-vision blur of buildings in the distance, some excellently modeled cars, ball-jarring explosions, phenomenal water effects and one interesting-looking Eastern Euro for a lead character. Sure, it's not a game that runs perfectly all the time, but the technical elements almost never get in the way of the gameplay.

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

Ecurb -- It is highly annoying to have EVERY thread hijacked with this stuff. Seriously man, who cares? You have a PS3 others have a 360. Let's just move past it. It's not like someone is going to sell a 360 because you say the PS3 is better.

Alright, I have to run. My 360 needs to be shipped back because it is overheating. :bag:

Good deal. Our tax returns showed up while we were in Vegas. Looks like I still have the go ahead to get a PS3 so I'll probably pick up the system and GTA IV as soon as it comes out. :headbang:

Cool. This game is going to rock for both systems.

I already warned the Mrs. about Tuesday night. Maybe we can get an online tourney going with the other JNers.

Cool. This game is going to rock for both systems.

I already warned the Mrs. about Tuesday night. Maybe we can get an online tourney going with the other JNers.

That would be awesome. As expensive as games are these days and as little time I'm going to have to play, I'm probably not going to have a real vast library. I'll probably rent most titles and just buy the big ones.

That would be awesome. As expensive as games are these days and as little time I'm going to have to play, I'm probably not going to have a real vast library. I'll probably rent most titles and just buy the big ones.

Your ass is grass in GTAIV multiplayer!

Good deal. Our tax returns showed up while we were in Vegas. Looks like I still have the go ahead to get a PS3 so I'll probably pick up the system and GTA IV as soon as it comes out. :headbang:

Its about time!

Get that PS3!

If you're only getting ONE gaming system get the 360. The exclusive titles are just better.

I agree with that right now but I'm looking at the long term. A couple years down the road the 360 just isn't going to be able to hang with the PS3 and I don't want to have to buy another system. The PS3 has GTA, SOCOM, Gran Turismo and Madden. That's all I care about and quite frankly all I have time for.

I agree with that right now but I'm looking at the long term. A couple years down the road the 360 just isn't going to be able to hang with the PS3 and I don't want to have to buy another system. The PS3 has GTA, SOCOM, Gran Turismo and Madden. That's all I care about and quite frankly all I have time for.

...and Blu-Ray!

\:D/

Archived