Pats fans: did you get the LB you wanted?

TaborJet

Yes.

Mayo has 13 tackles in 2 games. Started both. Only defensive player to play every down in KC game. Not sure if he played every defensive down in the Jets game or he came out for a couple.

Injuries could demolish his career right now, anything can happen and it's way to early.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Injuries can demolish anyones career. But the fact is Mayo was able to start for the Pats and contribute from day 1 and Gholston hasn't contributed squat to the Jets.

So I would say the Mayo was a better pick.

FWIW, I thought Mayo was the better pick (certainly when you factor in the trade) on draft day. The guy is super fast and can make tackles inside the box. He will be a great one for the Pats. Perfect need pick.

Injuries can demolish anyones career. But the fact is Mayo was able to start for the Pats and contribute from day 1 and Gholston hasn't contributed squat to the Jets.

Perhaps. But then Mayo didn't need to learn a new position after missing part of his first off-season due to league rules. That, and the Jets already have 2 starting OLB'ers and a 3rd situational pass-rusher (Bowens) already. A little steeper depth chart to climb than the Pats' ILB corps.

Perhaps. But then Mayo didn't need to learn a new position after missing part of his first off-season due to league rules. That, and the Jets already have 2 starting OLB'ers and a 3rd situational pass-rusher (Bowens) already. A little steeper depth chart to climb than the Pats' ILB corps.

The same problem would have happened in NE. We needed an ILB, not an OLB. Vrabel and Thomas are both better on the outside than inside. When Vrabel had to play inside last season, he was effective, but he was taking a beating and had back problems.

Was Jerod Mayo the pick the Patriots wanted all along? Did they really want Gholston, but after the Jets took him, just said oh well and trade down?

I'm reading that they had this trade down in place before the draft. The Boston media is yet again stroking the NE front office, calling it masterful.

What say ye, Patriot faithful?

Mayo was the guy they wanted all along.

Mayo was the only legitimate ILB prospect which is where we needed help. Everything I read prior to the draft indicated that he was the guy we were targeting. OLB's are much easier to find for the 34. BB's been waiting for a quality ILB for a few years now. Mayo was the guy he wanted.

Belichick has a strong relationship with Urban Meyer (Fla) and they often share notes and make visits with one another. Anyhow, I read something about Meyer strongly recommending Mayo who he was familiar with (SEC competition).

I also read a scouting report that stated that Gholston was very inconsistent. He had a couple of HUGE games but most of the time he was invisible and appeared disinterested. Although, in fairness, if one looks hard enough, one can find some negative reports about any prospect.

Also, note that Gholston was more of one of those combine workout warriors. BB has been lured by those types before but rarely have they amounted to much for him. He's done much better with guys who have a history of being productive. Mayo had over 140 tackles in each of his last two years at Tennessee.

This is completly idiotic and you actually have knowledge off the game.

Your saying this after 2 F'ing games. Please read the bolded sentence twice or as many times as it gets in your head. Thank you.

Ghost you are right it is only two games.

And therefore it is way too early to declare Gholston a bust.

But two games are more then enough to say that Mayo has been a great edition to the NEP. I haven't formed an opinion if he is better than Tedy Bruschi but I have heard some claim that. According to other players he knows the playbook as if he had been playing in the system for years.

Will Gholston eventually contribute the Jets? I dunno. But I do know that it is inconceivable that any rookie ILB could have contributed more in his first two games than Mayo has. So I stand by my assessment that Mayo was the better choice for the New England Patriots. And yes we got the LB we wanted. And he is exceeding everyones draft day expectations.

On the topic of Gholston didn't many of you predict in the pre-season that he would have multiple sacks on the NEP QB week 2? Don't tell me Gholston is exceeding Jets expectations.

Ghost you are right it is only two games.

And therefore it is way too early to declare Gholston a bust.

But two games are more then enough to say that Mayo has been a great edition to the NEP. I haven't formed an opinion if he is better than Tedy Bruschi but I have heard some claim that. According to other players he knows the playbook as if he had been playing in the system for years.

Will Gholston eventually contribute the Jets? I dunno. But I do know that it is inconceivable that any rookie ILB could have contributed more in his first two games than Mayo has. So I stand by my assessment that Mayo was the better choice for the New England Patriots. And yes we got the LB we wanted. And he is exceeding everyones draft day expectations.

On the topic of Gholston didn't many of you predict in the pre-season that he would have multiple sacks on the NEP QB week 2? Don't tell me Gholston is exceeding Jets expectations.

No but BT and CP are so there is really no rush to get him on the field.

No but BT and CP are so there is really no rush to get him on the field.

Then why draft him? A 4-12 team must have holes that require immediate attention. Otherwise the team would not be 4-12 and have a top 5 pick. So Mangini picks a guy for a position he already has solid starters. Instead of a player that could have an impact on the team. That doesn't make any sense.

I could see a team that made the playoffs being in a situation where anybody they draft wouldn't be ready on day one to make an impact because the team is so well stocked. But a 4-12 team is a different story.

I have heard speculation that the only reason Jets when for Gholston is they thought the Pats wanted him, and it was EM's way of sticking it to BB. I have hard time believing anyone would run their draft board that way. But if the Jets did it is truly moronic.

Belichick has a strong relationship with Urban Meyer (Fla) and they often share notes and make visits with one another. Anyhow, I read something about Meyer strongly recommending Mayo who he was familiar with (SEC competition).

I have been saying for a long time that Meyer is the Belidick of college ball, a cheat, a liar, an all around POS...this proves my point

btw hoodie, nice sig...proves our point even more about how the patsie* get to play by different rules

I also read a scouting report that stated that Gholston was very inconsistent. He had a couple of HUGE games but most of the time he was invisible and appeared disinterested.

Like the NE game?

Also, note that Gholston was more of one of those combine workout warriors. BB has been lured by those types before but rarely have they amounted to much for him. He's done much better with guys who have a history of being productive. Mayo had over 140 tackles in each of his last two years at Tennessee.

Mayo is on pace to have 100 tackles in his rook season. Not too shabby considering Gholston was the player NE really wanted.

btw hoodie, nice sig...proves our point even more about how the patsie* get to play by different rules

What rules are you referring to?

And by the way, the top two LBs so far are Mayo and Keith Rivers. I eventually think Rivers will be the bigger star, but Mayo will be solid for several years.

check the tard markers again, more like A 7 yd loss instead of 20...A BIG DIFFERENCE

You're kidding, right? If AT were a Jets player doing that very same thing to Lord Brady and Kevin Faulk - you would be calling it the greatest sack of all time. 'gimme a break. Totally legit sack.....with a 3rd down back take-down for good measure. A two for one special.

You're kidding, right? If AT were a Jets player doing that very same thing to Lord Brady and Kevin Faulk - you would be calling it the greatest sack of all time. 'gimme a break. Totally legit sack.....with a 3rd down back take-down for good measure. A two for one special.

come on Garb, you know me better then that don't you?

Archived