Browns pass on signing Boulware

RSJ

Anyone else think that the Jets should go after this guy if he works out well when healthy in a couple of weeks? You really do not need much of a secondary if you can rush the passer well.

Browns pass on signing Boulware

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/112219757582953.xml&coll=2

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Tony Grossi

Plain Dealer Reporter

Forget about Peter Boulware joining the Browns - for now.

"We haven't closed the book," General Manager Phil Savage said. "I told [agent Roosevelt Barnes] that we're still open to it, but down the line. We're not signing him now. If we did anything, it wouldn't be for a couple weeks."

Savage wasn't overly impressed with Boulware's private workout earlier this month. He doesn't think the veteran linebacker is sufficiently recovered from knee and toe surgeries to be able to participate at 100 percent in training camp.

"We're on two different timelines," Savage said of Boulware. "Where he is at this stage of his career and where we are in our organization. We're sort of taking the first steps in building something.

"I do think he's going to make it back. I just think it's going to take some time."

Boulware, 30, had 67

I think if there is one position where the Jets are most set it is the linebacker corps. Between Vilma, Barton, and Hobson they have a quick young group that fits well with Hendu's defensive schemes. Boulware is productive, but he is old and coming off a knee injury. I'm a little iffy about it.

I think if there is one position where the Jets are most set it is the linebacker corps. Between Vilma, Barton, and Hobson they have a quick young group that fits well with Hendu's defensive schemes. Boulware is productive, but he is old and coming off a knee injury. I'm a little iffy about it.

Hell, what has Victor Hobson ever done to earn his 2nd round pick money? He's been servicable, don't get me wrong, but Peter Boulware would be an upgrade, even for his veteran experience alone.

However, I wouldn't touch this guy unless he were willing to come dirt cheap (not happening). He's damaged goods and on the wrong side of 30, and the Ravens CUT him, NOT traded him, for a reason. Approach with caution.

And remember, these are the BROWNS who passed on him. The same Browns who had the worst rushing defense in the game 2 seasons ago, giving up an NFL record for yards in a game on the ground.

Archived