Where are our weak points now?

BUM-KNEE

Ok so we have a NT on paper and a pass rush on paper, some WR height and some depth in our DBs (not a ton but) and a bunch of RB depth. What do you guys think our weak spots are at, looking at the team we have modified from last season?

The fact we dont know how the newer additions will pan out yet is a factor, but for the sake of discussion lets assume the new guys will be average at the positions they will be plugged into and can hold their own on any given Sunday. If you dont see any of those new additions to be able to produce average results, then by all means use that in your diagnosis.

--Obviously the QB is a weakness given the two who have seen action last season, so that is a given. QB is our #1 glaring weakness at this point IMO.

--Id say Ben Graham is a weakness because of his spotty punt placement last year, and we need our punter to be consistant from week to week. He was shanking them way too much for my liking. Hopefully the guy he was working with last month (cant remember his name) is helping his game out.

--Im also looking at RT to still be a weakness as I dont think Woody is at home at tackle, but more of a guard and Bender hasnt seen much action as a pro at the tackle position. Im just assuming either one will be average there, for the sake of conjecture. If in fact either one is average at RT, I would consider the position a weak spot.

-- If the WR prospects we drafted are merely average, we still have some WR issues IMO. Personally, I think Keller will be a huge asset and if he turns out to be then we arent that bad off barring an injury to a starter. Stuckey could also be a real gem, and he looked like a gamer in what little I got to see of him so I am not all that worried about the WR issues that we may have.

-- Lil Shotty is another glaring weakness to me, although with a better O-line and a balanced rushing attack his simplistic offense could actually look competent this year. I still have a vote of no confidence in his gameplans as of today though.

What say you?

We have a lot of question marks thats for sure.

On offense there is no telling how it will perform with our newly overhauled OL. If the OL is as good as it looks on paper the entire offense will absolutely be better. From top to bottom I think it will be a good unit. That includes the WRs, the RBs, the TEs and yes even the QBs. I think we have a very solid offense no matter who the QB is. Maybe not potent, but able to move the ball, score and consume time on the clock.

For an idea of how much better the offense can be, consider how much worse the offense was by losing Kendall last year.

On defense I'd say our DEs are in the same category as our offense in that we might see them play much better with a better supporting cast around them.

Otherwise, I'd say our secondary is our biggest weakness in the CB and Safety spots.

*you can throw in the coordinators here too. i'd like to see what they do this year with an improved team. but i'd say they're both on a short leash.

QB- But that will get sorted this year.

CB- Revis is gonna need help. Miller needs have his breakout year.

TE- Baker needs to get paid or garuanteed a new contract after this season.

WR- Cotch needs to eclipse Coles this year to ensure our future. Smith needs to show some kind of fire.

OL & DL- Despite our pickups I won't be convinced we've improved until i see it in person

...sorry...

I'd say we still need a fast reciever badly. We have no reciever that can stretch the field.

CB is still a weak unit, apart from Revis. That's not good in this division.

O-line is improved, but it remains to see how much. Same with the D-line.

And then there's the QB. Chad? No thanks. Kellen? Who knows. Ainge? don't be absurd.

Sperm, does it look like Chads cap hit will be a problem as far as having enough cash to sign our picks and the undrafted pick-ups?

Where are we at cap-wise?

I haven't added it up for a month. But don't sweat it. Even with Chad, we have plenty to sign our draft picks. DRob's trade saved a ton. The money we saved by trading him could very well cover all of our draft picks for this year combined.

There are also still others who we can dump if we're better off with cap room (for 2008) than their presence.

Barrett ($3.6M salary, clears $2.9M) is the most likely significant one.

Barton - though I think he sticks ($3.2M salary, clears $3.2M)

Bryan Thomas - doesn't pay to cut until next year. It's about a wash if he's cut now so we might as well keep him. He's more likely to do something than an UDFA.

Undrafted pickups don't cost anything; they save money by signing them. They make the league minimum & they'd be taking the spot of someone who made more.

in this order, a FO who is unable to properly evaluate talent at QB. Lets face it both Chad a kellen suck donkey dick. Chad is going to keep sucking and striving to be mediocre at best. Kellen could be good, he could keep sucking, I hope I can find out this year.

Defensive Coordinator.

CB#2

Kicking... Graham and Nugent both have noodle legs. Except for the NUUUGGGEEE is NUUUUGGGEE and will find a way to be awesome anyway.

Being the most important position on the field, I have to say that QB is the biggest question mark right now. We don't know what we have in Clemens, and we do know that we have a one-dimensional offense with Chad Pennington. Other than that, CB is the biggest problem as we really don't have a second corner who will be the obvious opening-day starter. But I'm not too worried about that as I believe your secondary to some extent is only as good as your pass rush (which, in our case, should be MUCH improved this year). Besides that, depth is the biggest problem, especially along the lines and at linebacker.

I haven't added it up for a month. But don't sweat it. Even with Chad, we have plenty to sign our draft picks. DRob's trade saved a ton. The money we saved by trading him could very well cover all of our draft picks for this year combined.

There are also still others who we can dump if we're better off with cap room (for 2008) than their presence.

Barrett ($3.6M salary, clears $2.9M) is the most likely significant one.

Barton - though I think he sticks ($3.2M salary, clears $3.2M)

Bryan Thomas - doesn't pay to cut until next year. It's about a wash if he's cut now so we might as well keep him. He's more likely to do something than an UDFA.

Undrafted pickups don't cost anything; they save money by signing them. They make the league minimum & they'd be taking the spot of someone who made more.

Thanks for the info Spermy.

in this order, a FO who is unable to properly evaluate talent at QB. Lets face it both Chad a kellen suck donkey dick. Chad is going to keep sucking and striving to be mediocre at best. Kellen could be good, he could keep sucking, I hope I can find out this year.

Defensive Coordinator.

CB#2

Kicking... Graham and Nugent both have noodle legs. Except for the NUUUGGGEEE is NUUUUGGGEE and will find a way to be awesome anyway.

I agree with Arisis on the QB fiasco it sickens me to think of this situation for another year.

Damien Woody is a good RT. He didnt give up a sack in 6 games. He is better than Anthony Clement. Its not a weak spot. #2 CB and FS are the two weak spots as of right now. Coles and Cotchery are not weak spots either. Just need a true #3 thats all. Maybe its stuckey or maybe smith will be better this year.

Damien Woody is a good RT. He didnt give up a sack in 6 games. He is better than Anthony Clement. Its not a weak spot. #2 CB and FS are the two weak spots as of right now. Coles and Cotchery are not weak spots either. Just need a true #3 thats all. Maybe its stuckey or maybe smith will be better this year.

Well Woody may be able to be decent RT, but from his Detroit Lions page here,

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=214&season=9

it says he started at RT for the first time in his career on 12-2-07 versus Minnesota. He isnt exactly battle tested at RT to be really confident about him starting there. He probably does know the position though, being a ten year vet.

As far as ILB goes i really think that's gonna be Pace. Pace and Harris on the Inside and Gholston and BT on the outside. Pace has the size to be an ILB.

He'd be pretty big for an ILB. How many 270-lb ILB'ers do you see out there?

I think Barton's going to start the whole year (with Kassell giving him breathers) & Gholston is going to split time with BT to start the season. He's new to NFL talent/speed & new to the position. Probably similar to what happened with Vilma/Harris. Then BT gets dropped after the season.

He'd be pretty big for an ILB. How many 270-lb ILB'ers do you see out there?

I think Barton's going to start the whole year (with Kassell giving him breathers) & Gholston is going to split time with BT to start the season. He's new to NFL talent/speed & new to the position. Probably similar to what happened with Vilma/Harris. Then BT gets dropped after the season.

What if BT doesn't suck this year?

Right now, Chad is our only weakness. an 8 million dollar weakness at that!!

why is everyone quick to give up on penny? with an o-line,and a running game penny will thrive in 08-09 season . we really don`t have weakness per say,but if i had to choose i chose receiver.

What if BT doesn't suck this year?

Then Sperm is happy.

How is that a problem? Then we can trade him for something instead of cutting him. Or move Pace inside & have a demon set of pass rushers with Gholston & Thomas. Pace isn't such a speedster.

I'd openly welcome such a dilemma (unlikely as it would be).

Archived