'Skins learn no-show rookie, TE Fred Davis, slept through practice

MTJ06

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins second-round draft pick Fred Davis did not show up for minicamp practice Sunday, having overslept on just his third day in the NFL

The team sent security officials to track down the tight end after he failed to arrive as scheduled from a local hotel, where the rookies were housed during the three-day minicamp.

"Everybody was scouring," coach Jim Zorn said after the practice. "Nobody heard from him, so there was one of two scenarios: either there was some real trouble and we needed to find him, or he screwed up. I haven't even got to talk to him yet. I know he has been found. I believe it is more in the 'I screwed up' category."

Davis eventually arrived at Redskins Park and met with Zorn in his office.

"He just had a setback," the coach said. "Hopefully everybody will learn from the lesson that he is having to learn right now about what it is going to take to get to a place on time, to be responsible."

Davis was the 48th overall pick out of Southern California in last weekend's draft

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10812677

Tangini draft day decision, Do we trade up for Keller or draft sleepy.

Keller > Davis.:lol:

Pre-draft, Davis seemed to be linked to the Jets in a number of reports. I'm not gonna judge the kid based on one unfortunate incident, but I can't imagine he'd be getting out of Mangini's doghouse anytime soon if he pulled that here.

Does USC have a program where older players come back and mentor these kids about what to expect at the next level? If not they need one, Mike Williams could have explained to him you gotta sign that phat contract before you let the team know you don't give a ****

What a slapdick..The biggest two days of your life and you over sleep..beyond belief, you couldn't make this s**t up.

I'm sure this isn't close to any of the biggest days of his life. It was mini-camp. It's not like he overslept for a bowl game. It was a single day of non-contact practice/meetings in early May.

He'll get extra laps & team ridicule & stuff, but this will (appropriately) blow over unless this is just the type of player he is. And maybe an oversleeping clause or two in his upcoming contract ;).

I suspect that he has been very excited/nervous about the draft/minicamp etc. That often can lead having trouble falling asleep. Add-in traveling from West Coast time (USC) to East Coast time and two very intense workouts and I can see how someone could hit the alarm clock (at what is to him 4 am) and then fall back to sleep from total exhaustion.

I suspect that he has been very excited/nervous about the draft/minicamp etc. That often can lead having trouble falling asleep. Add-in traveling from West Coast time (USC) to East Coast time and two very intense workouts and I can see how someone could hit the alarm clock (at what is to him 4 am) and then fall back to sleep from total exhaustion.

That's pretty good. Could you write the note to the Coach for him?

I'm sure this isn't close to any of the biggest days of his life. It was mini-camp. It's not like he overslept for a bowl game. It was a single day of non-contact practice/meetings in early May.

He'll get extra laps & team ridicule & stuff, but this will (appropriately) blow over unless this is just the type of player he is. And maybe an oversleeping clause or two in his upcoming contract ;).

He's trying out for a spot in the NFL.!!.the biggest two days of his football career without a doubt. Would you EVER over sleep SE? No you wouldn't. A chance to make the NFL or go get a real job..HUGE DAY.

I MEAN IF YOUR 'SENCE OF URGRNCY IS NOT ON FULL THROTTLE FOR THE 2 OR 3 DAYS OF rookie MINI CAMP WHEN WILL IT EVER BE.

He's trying out for a spot in the NFL.!!.the biggest two days of his football career without a doubt. Would you EVER over sleep SE? No you wouldn't. A chance to make the NFL or go get a real job..HUGE DAY.

He was a high 2nd-round pick. Unless he's a bad player - slow, untalented, stupid, etc. - it isn't much of a tryout.

If he were a late round pick or if he were an UDFA then I'd agree with you.

All I'm saying is not a great first impression to be making..He's about to get paid fairly well. I hope Zorn ripped him a new a**hole for this.

Oh, I agree with that 100%. He's an idiot for oversleeping. If he knows he's prone to slapping the snooze button on his alarm clock, then he should buy 20 alarm clocks & place them all over his room so he physically has to get out of bed to shut them off.

I just thought it was a little over-dramatic that Sunday was one of the two biggest days of his entire life.

Well, the scouting report did say he could be a sleeper.

Congrats DMaynard,I've seen two posters on this board re-use this joke on other forums.Yet they gave you no credit for the joke.

I MEAN IF YOUR 'SENCE OF URGRNCY IS NOT ON FULL THROTTLE FOR THE 2 OR 3 DAYS OF rookie MINI CAMP WHEN WILL IT EVER BE.

I gotta agree. He was a high second, but STILL!! Everyone's on your a$$, hungry to make this team. I would be at EVERY F---ing meeting, mini-meeting, mini workout, mandatory or not!! to try to make this team. This is a friggin rookie. I know he got some upfront money, but.....

Archived