Breaking News...Tapes show Pats also were stealing Offensive signals

SouthernJet

One tape turned over by Walsh shows Patriots also stole offensive signals

Fish_Mike_55.jpg By Mike Fish

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: May 9, 2008, 10:17 AM ET

What Is On The Matt Walsh Tapes?

From Day 1 of the Spygate saga in September, the controversy over New England's illicit videotaping practices has centered on the Patriots' efforts to steal their opponents' defensive signals. But the tapes delivered via FedEx to NFL headquarters in New York on Thursday morning also include evidence of an effort by New England to steal offensive signals, which would broaden the extent of the team's surveillance operation.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and staff members began viewing the eight tapes within hours of their long-awaited delivery, in anticipation of Tuesday's scheduled interview with former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh. As part of an indemnification pact reached last month with the league, Walsh agreed to turn over any videotapes or related materials he had from his tenure with the team.

Perhaps the surprise entry on the list of videotaping documents Walsh turned over to the league was tape No. 3, labeled "OFF Signals" from New England's game against the Miami Dolphins on Oct. 7, 2001. That is the only tape labeled as such on a copy of the list obtained by ESPN.com. Walsh's attorney, Michael Levy, confirmed it was the lone footage in Walsh's possession of offensive coaches' signaling from the sidelines.

"[it] contains shots of Miami's offensive coaches signaling Miami's offensive players, followed by a shot from the end zone camera of Miami's offensive play, followed by a shot of Miami's offensive coaches signaling Miami's offensive players for the next play, then edited to be followed by a shot of the subsequent Miami offensive play," Levy said of the tape. "And that pattern repeats throughout the entire tape, with occasional cuts to the scoreboard."

Goodell has made repeated references to the stealing of defensive signals by New England. That is, in part, presumably because the league has allowed direct radio communication from a coach to the quarterback since the 1994 season, diminishing the need for hand signals.

What games are on the tapes?

Here are the games included in the tapes turned over by Matt Walsh to the NFL, according to a letter sent by Walsh's attorney, Michael Levy:

Tape 1: Signals vs. Miami (Sept. 25, 2000)

The tape is labeled Sept. 25, but the actual game was on Sept. 24. That day in Miami, the Patriots lost to the Dolphins, 10-3, and dropped to 0-4. New England also lost its season finale to Miami, 27-24, on Christmas Eve. The Patriots finished 5-11.

Tapes 2-3: Miami defensive and offensive signals (Oct. 7, 2001)

The Patriots lost 30-10 at Miami to drop to 1-3. The Pats gained 149 total yards and fell to 6-14 overall under Belichick. (They're 99-26 since.) In a Dec. 22 rematch, the Pats gained 313 yards and didn't commit a turnover, winning 20-13 to improve to 10-5. Miami had three turnovers.

Tape 4: Buffalo signal camera (Nov. 11, 2001)

The Patriots beat the Bills 21-11 to improve to 5-4. The Patriots were actually outgained in this game, 242-205. In the rematch at Buffalo on Dec. 16, the Pats won, 12-9, and outgained the Bills, 335-310. Since this Nov. 11 tape, New England is 13-1 against Buffalo.

Tape 5: Coaches' signals vs. Cleveland (Dec. 9, 2001)

The Patriots won 27-16. New England barely outgained the Browns, 290-277. The Browns, however, turned the ball over four times. The teams didn't play again until Oct. 26, 2003, when the Pats won 9-3. Starting with that 2001 win, New England is 4-0 against Cleveland.

Tapes 6-7: Signals vs. Pittsburgh (Jan. 27, 2002)

In the AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh, the Patriots were nine-point underdogs, and Tom Brady was knocked out with an injured leg in the first half. However, Drew Bledsoe came in and led the Pats to a 24-17 win, thanks to a Troy Brown 55-yard TD punt return and a 60-yard return of a blocked FG for a TD. The Patriots intercepted Steelers QB Kordell Stewart three times, and Pittsburgh running backs were held to just 19 yards. Starting with that win, the Patriots are 5-1 against the Steelers, including a 30-14 win in the 2002 season opener.

Tape 8: Third camera vs. San Diego (Sept. 29, 2002)

New England lost at San Diego 21-14, its first loss of the season after a 3-0 start. Despite the loss, the Pats outgained the Chargers, 440-342. New England didn't play San Diego again until Oct. 2, 2005 and lost, 41-17. The Patriots have won all three games against the Chargers since.

-- Brett Edgerton, ESPN Research

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may help explain how Double B went from a horrendous HC with the Browns to the "greatest ever" with the Pats. Maybe I'm overreacting but he certainly wasn't being called a genious when he was leading the Browns. Then again, I can't remember anyone having success with the Browns. Still it doesn't surprise me that this crayon resignation letter writing piece of sh%$ would do whatever he can to win regardless of the moral implications. He's a weasel!

This may help explain how Double B went from a horrendous HC with the Browns to the "greatest ever" with the Pats. Maybe I'm overreacting but he certainly wasn't being called a genious when he was leading the Browns. Then again, I can't remember anyone having success with the Browns. Still it doesn't surprise me that this crayon resignation letter writing piece of sh%$ would do whatever he can to win regardless of the moral implications. He's a weasel!
But he makes the Best P&J sanmich ever, he is a genius in the food world ya know.

Here's some articles and commentary for you really objective Jest fans to read (yes, I am dripping in sarcasm, Joe):

"....With the way it's starting to look, that black hat fits Specter, Walsh and the Herald better than it fits Belichick.

......Today, the whole scenario is reminiscent of Al Capone's vault. Titillate the masses, create a spectacle and find nothing.

Playing the role of Geraldo Rivera was Specter, who used the forum of Super Bowl week to criticize NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for his handling of the issue and subsequently met with Goodell.

Understand this about Arlen Specter, he has been involved in battling the NFL on the television front as the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He has challenged the league's antitrust exemption that allows it to negotiate broadcast rights for all 32 of its teams.

The reason for his interest might be that the league-owned NFL Network has held Comcast and its subscribers hostage and Comcast is one of Specter's largest campaign contributors.

.......Remember — every team in the league was stealing signals "legally" over the same period of time by assigning an advance scout to monitor the sidelines from the press box.

Yes, the Patriots broke a rule. And they paid a heavy price for it.

But Belichick's reputation won't be sullied by this affair as much as the reputations of some others."

New York Times writer calls for Belichick 1 year suspension

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/09/sp...0f&ei=5087%0A\

I find it interesting that Araton wants to punish Belichick for conduct that took place before 2006 - even though in his own article he makes clear that the NFL revised its policy that year - inferring that Belichick was not breaking any rules before then.

Araton (who kindly provides his email hjaraton@nytimes.com) wants Goodell to send a message.

A message of what? Suspending coaches for rules that didn't exist at the time?

I wish someone could send a message to the media that they should be consistent over these things. Jimmy Johnson admitted to the same thing as Belichick did - under the same pre-2006 rules.

I don't think I've heard one member of the media call for taking away the Cowboys Super Bowl Rings or putting an asterisk next to their season marks. And since they were all gung ho about finding teams that DID spy on practices and engage in filming, how come no outrage on their about how long this has been going on?

Oh, and by the way, Marvin Harrison is still being investigated for shooting someone, Michale Vick is still in prison for dog murder, and Chris Henry is allowed to visit other teams because he got fired for being arrested about 30 times. But let's keep focusing on the Pats, they are the bad guys.

PS: CBS Sportsline has a good piece up about this: http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10819413

I love the last few lines of Garb's post. Marvin Harrison himself is not thought of as the shooter and his situation along with Henry's and Vick's were all of the field issues. Sorry, but when we're talking about the NFL in the end the most important issues are going to be on the field, aka, the work place. Not the street of Cincinnati or Atlanta. This is whats hot right now, this is what will get the most attention and viewers and this is what matters most to the NFL itself. The Patriots cheated stealing both offensive and defensive signals and were caught.

Belichick should be suspended and the NFL should've taken their #7 overall selection last month, not the 31st.

Here's some articles and commentary for you really objective Jest fans to read (yes, I am dripping in sarcasm, Joe):

"....With the way it's starting to look, that black hat fits Specter, Walsh and the Herald better than it fits Belichick.

......Today, the whole scenario is reminiscent of Al Capone's vault. Titillate the masses, create a spectacle and find nothing.

Playing the role of Geraldo Rivera was Specter, who used the forum of Super Bowl week to criticize NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for his handling of the issue and subsequently met with Goodell.

Understand this about Arlen Specter, he has been involved in battling the NFL on the television front as the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He has challenged the league's antitrust exemption that allows it to negotiate broadcast rights for all 32 of its teams.

The reason for his interest might be that the league-owned NFL Network has held Comcast and its subscribers hostage and Comcast is one of Specter's largest campaign contributors.

.......Remember

.......Remember

.......Remember

.......Remember — every team in the league was stealing signals "legally" over the same period of time by assigning an advance scout to monitor the sidelines from the press box.

Yes, the Patriots broke a rule. And they paid a heavy price for it.

But Belichick's reputation won't be sullied by this affair as much as the reputations of some others."

New York Times writer calls for Belichick 1 year suspension

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/09/sp...0f&ei=5087%0A\

I find it interesting that Araton wants to punish Belichick for conduct that took place before 2006 - even though in his own article he makes clear that the NFL revised its policy that year - inferring that Belichick was not breaking any rules before then.

Araton (who kindly provides his email hjaraton@nytimes.com) wants Goodell to send a message.

A message of what? Suspending coaches for rules that didn't exist at the time?

I wish someone could send a message to the media that they should be consistent over these things. Jimmy Johnson admitted to the same thing as Belichick did - under the same pre-2006 rules.

I don't think I've heard one member of the media call for taking away the Cowboys Super Bowl Rings or putting an asterisk next to their season marks. And since they were all gung ho about finding teams that DID spy on practices and engage in filming, how come no outrage on their about how long this has been going on?

Oh, and by the way, Marvin Harrison is still being investigated for shooting someone, Michale Vick is still in prison for dog murder, and Chris Henry is allowed to visit other teams because he got fired for being arrested about 30 times. But let's keep focusing on the Pats, they are the bad guys.

PS: CBS Sportsline has a good piece up about this: http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10819413

This article SUCKS. None of those other players TAINTED THE OUTCOMES OF GAMES AND CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Big difference...those players are scumbags OFF the field (and I'm only including Harrison IF he did it), but Belichick is a scumbag ON the field. It's one thing if he wants to cheat on his wife with a married woman, that's his personal life, but when he cheats on the field of play, that's where the problem with the fans lies. He's cheating us out of watching a competitive game just so he can win at all costs.

He's an ******* and anyone defending him is the same.

Hello Garb, Alk and other Pat Trolls

Hello ?

anyone there?

Is this thing On?

Exactly what I thought , That thin sheet of Ice just gave way * * * They (NFL) should make this the New Pats Logo for thier helmets.

I've been out "working" all day today. To be honest, I don't give a $hit what they found on those tapes. The Patriots have won the Super Bowls and nothing will take that away from us fans. At least not a mob of crazed fans. :lol:

I've been out "working" all day today. To be honest, I don't give a $hit what they found on those tapes. The Patriots have won the Super Bowls and nothing will take that away from us fans. At least not a mob of crazed fans. :lol:

denial.jpg

Keep repeating that. Eventually you will believe it.

Denial of what? The Pats had a cameraman on the sideline that focused on the other teams coaches. Has any Pats fan denied that?

Denial - come you can say it - he focused on the other teams coaches by videotaping their signals which was against the rules which means he was cheating and at the very least being unethical. This did give the Pats a slight advantage at the very least in future games and quite possibly in halftime adjustments because we all know our coach would not invest such energy and detail if it did not. Now was that so hard.

I don't know if you caught Peter King's MMQB article last week but he had an interesting quote from BB:

Quote of the Week II

"Do what you love, and be ready to put everything you have into it ... There's no 'I' in cheat. There is an 'I' in 'videotaping' and what that 'I' stands for is immediate halftime adjustments.''

--New England coach Bill Belichick, in a speech to 3,200 students and townspeople at Salem State (Mass.) College on Wednesday night.

The original quote which was as unoriginal as you can get and serious barf material:

Quote of the Week II

"Do what you love, and be ready to put everything you have into it ... There's no 'I' in team. There is an 'I' in 'win' and what that 'I' stands for is individual responsibility.''

--New England coach Bill Belichick, in a speech to 3,200 students and townspeople at Salem State (Mass.) College on Wednesday night.

Archived