Packers release WR-KR Koren Robinson - ESPN.com

Robinson's comeback suffers setback as Packers cut receiver

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers released Koren Robinson on Friday, the latest setback for the veteran wide receiver trying to resurrect his career after serving an NFL suspension and jail time.

Not long after Green Bay signed the 6-foot-2, 205-pound Robinson in 2006, the league suspended him for a year for alcohol-related problems.

He sought treatment that included attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and taking a drug that would make him sick if he drank alcohol again.

When he was reinstated to the league he appeared to have put his troubles behind him. Teammates said they were impressed by his work ethic and his obvious efforts to stay clean.

Robinson, 28, also won the support of Brett Favre, who has acknowledged his own history of substance abuse. In a public plea to league officials on behalf of Robinson in 2007, Favre suggested Robinson's comeback could help the league move past the negative publicity from other players' legal problems.

"I think he's done everything he's been asked to do, and it's time to set a good example -- that you can resurrect not only your career, but your life," Favre said at that time.

The Packers gave him an opportunity, and he responded with 21 catches for 241 yards and one touchdown in nine games last season. He was also second on the team with 25 kickoff returns for 596 yards.

Robinson previously played four seasons with the Seattle Seahawks and one with the Minnesota Vikings.

He was suspended four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy in 2004 and pleaded guilty to driving under the influence in 2005. He also led police on an alcohol-fueled high-speed car chase in Minnesota in 2006, which resulted in jail time and prompted the Vikings to cut him.

Messages left on Robinson's cell phone and with his agent, Alvin Keels, were not immediately returned.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

This guy is a classic loser. Maybe he will appreciate what he had when he's making $5 an hour flipping burgers

I thought he had an OK year for the Pack and was pretty much a good citizen since he was there. Sounds like it was a $$ thing.

This guy is a classic loser. Maybe he will appreciate what he had when he's making $5 an hour flipping burgers

I grew to really like him. I thought he took advantage of the second (or third?) chance he got and really did turn out to be a good player/teammate for the packers. Even when he was suspended he was in studying film helping out the younger guys like Jennings.

I hope he catches on somewhere that is a smaller market team...maybe St. Louis.

Alcoholism is something that unfortunately hits people, yet unlike other alcoholics they do not have anything like being an NFL player to support themselves on. I really hope that a team picks him up, like NO or Philly since he's got resepctable talent as a 2nd or 3rd receiver

More good news for Koren,

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/10/korens-brother-gets-busted/

KOREN’S BROTHER GETS BUSTED

Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2008, 8:10 p.m.

As receiver Koren Robinson hits the open market after a stint with the Packers, which followed a one-year suspension, he’ll now have something else to explain to any teams that might be interested in him.

Robinson’s brother, Tariq, has been arrested for trafficking in ecstasy. (Not the emotion, the drug.) The potential problem as it relates to Koren is that Tariq lives with Koren.

The good news is that investigators say there’s no evidence that Koren was involved. Still, that extra question mark could be enough to scare some teams away.

We’ve previously reported that the Chiefs and Raiders have shown mild interest in Robinson, a top-ten draft pick in 2001.

Alcoholism is something that unfortunately hits people, yet unlike other alcoholics they do not have anything like being an NFL player to support themselves on. I really hope that a team picks him up, like NO or Philly since he's got resepctable talent as a 2nd or 3rd receiver

Agreed. He can help a team if his knees are up to the task. GB is pretty loaded with young talent at receiver, so it's not an indictment of KR.

Archived