Albaladejo to DL with elbow injury

Lil Bit Special

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080509&content_id=2672501&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

DETROIT -- Yankees right-hander Jonathan Albaladejo is headed to the 15-day disabled list after suffering an injury to his pitching elbow in Friday night's 6-5 loss to the Tigers.

Albaladejo was lifted in the sixth inning after he felt pain similar to a needle in the bone part of his right elbow. An initial diagnosis taken at Comerica Park revealed an elbow strain or sprain, but the Yankees will send Albaladejo to New York on Monday for an MRI and more conclusive tests.

"I know that I had a chance to stay for pretty much the whole year," Albaladejo said. "I'm pretty disappointed that this happened to me."

To replace Albaladejo on the Yankees' 25-man roster, right-hander Chris Britton will be called back up from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Britton was with the Yankees earlier on Friday but was dispatched back to Triple-A when the club recalled left-hander Kei Igawa, who started Friday's game.

Albaladejo, 25, is 0-1 with a 3.95 ERA in seven appearances this season, working 13 2/3 innings. He has allowed 15 hits and six earned runs, walking six and striking out 13.

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Archived