SJ Reviews : 'Redbelt'..Mamet screenplay makes this work..

SouthernJet

This film is saved by two things..David Mamet's screenplay (you remember mamet of Glengarry Glen Ross fame) and the acting of Chiwetel Ejiofor (American Gangster, Children of Men)..

Its all about Jiujitsu, honor, betrayal and all of this encased in the best writer of all, David Mamet.

The movie is somewhat slow as far as constant action, but in a Mamet playor movie, the action is in the way he weaves the dialouge.

This is a nice tight little flick.

3 stars_002.gif's

This film is saved by two things..David Mamet's screenplay (you remember mamet of Glengarry Glen Ross fame) and the acting of Chiwetel Ejiofor (American Gangster, Children of Men)..

Its all about Jiujitsu, honor, betrayal and all of this encased in the best writer of all, David Mamet.

The movie is somewhat slow as far as constant action, but in a Mamet playor movie, the action is in the way he weaves the dialouge.

This is a nice tight little flick.

3 stars_002.gif's

You have lost all credibility by even going to watch this movie.

I have no clue what you mean..

seriously, no clue

If it were Alk I'd think it was because it didn't have any Ferrell in it.

The reason I give you some credibility as a reviewer is because you watch everything. Too many regular people that do movie reviews end up only recommending pretentious art house crap. You seem like you just like movies. Sometimes I feel bad for you wife, but either she enjoys it or she'll get even with the antiquing.

Meaning...and I may be wrong since I am too lazy to verify............you wouldn't give leathernecks to time of day, but you give this movie 3 stars??????????

Leathernecks looks funny to me....this looks just aweful, and this if coming from a guy who likes bad movies....this movie looks like another Van Damme movie or steven segal....

Meaning...and I may be wrong since I am too lazy to verify............you wouldn't give leathernecks to time of day, but you give this movie 3 stars??????????

Leathernecks looks funny to me....this looks just aweful, and this if coming from a guy who likes bad movies....this movie looks like another Van Damme movie or steven segal....

you'd have better luck beating van damme or seagul in fight than goin up against sj in a movie thread ;)

its so not like a van damme movie,,lethernecks was a godawful attempt at comedy,,this is not a boxing movie,,its a david mamet play turned to movie basically,,its a real story with minimal fighting

its so not like a van damme movie,,lethernecks was a godawful attempt at comedy,,this is not a boxing movie,,its a david mamet play turned to movie basically,,its a real story with minimal fighting

I stand corrected sir.....thank you.....I thought it was another cheesy martial arts film.

Then the ads are probably doing the right thing because more people will go to see it if it's a cheesey martial arts film and the Mamet people will go see it anyway.

you sir have the makings of a great Marketing executive :D,,u r right, they killed 2 birds with one stone, but its 80% dialouge, human emotions type story, aka Mamet,, as opposed to a karate flick..

I finally saw Children of Men on HBO this weekend. I thought the previews looked great before it came out, but it turned out to be a real stinker.

I'll watch Redbelt some night when I can't sleep, too.

I finally saw Children of Men on HBO this weekend. I thought the previews looked great before it came out, but it turned out to be a real stinker.

I'll watch Redbelt some night when I can't sleep, too.

Try 'Before the Devil Knows Your Dead'

Archived