Klapisch: Goose tells Joba to act like a Yankee

Lil Bit Special

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/yankees/18838434.html

The question was brought to Goose Gossage because who else to judge whether Joba Chamberlain was being a jerk on Thursday, pumping his fist and pirouetting after striking out the Indians' David Dellucci as if he'd toppled the Berlin Wall?

Once upon a time, the Goose was the game's hardest-throwing closer, who liked nothing more than to intimidate hitters. Not just throw the fastball by them

Anybody got a video of this? Sounds kind of funny, in a "lol, the yankees are gay" kind of way, hahaha. A pirouette? Really?

He spins away from the batter and the opposing dug out and pumps is fist as not to look at them in a rub it in your face kind of way. He spun around and was happy. e has done it since he came up. Delucci is an ass and jealous he was cut by the Yanks a few years back.

I wasn't alive during the 70's, but I'm pretty f'ing positive that Reggie Jackson was a hot-doggin' douche-bag.

Goose should shut the **** up. The Yanks are no "classier" than any other major league team.

They are. They don't have facial hair.

Goose is 100% right. Joba shouldn't be doing that. Act like you've been there before. That sums it all up.

MAx, I fear your love of the Yankees and Jets have driven you to promote complacency.

I often do a celebration dance when I get laid.

Joba is just having fun. I pitch and when I get a big out I do what he does, because it's my style, and it's his style as well.

Let him do what he wants, he has a right to be excited about a big out, so Goose I respect you, because you were a yankee, but just lay off on the kid.

Joba is just having fun. I pitch and when I get a big out I do what he does, because it's my style, and it's his style as well.

Let him do what he wants, he has a right to be excited about a big out, so Goose I respect you, because you were a yankee, but just lay off on the kid.

Let him celebrate all he wants. I just don't want to hear any Yankee fans calling out Manny.

I do have one issue with your statement though. It wasn't a big out. He struck out a guy to end the 8th with the Yankees up 6-3.

What's the big deal with celebrating? Maybe the reason the Yanks have lost the last 7 years is that they take the game TOO seriously. It's a game but it's also supposed to be fun.

One of the things I've always noticed about the Yanks the last few years is the playoffs is that they seemed to forget what it was like to be excited to be in the playoffs and in the World Series hunt. It just looked like business as usual.

Let him celebrate all he wants. I just don't want to hear any Yankee fans calling out Manny.

I do have one issue with your statement though. It wasn't a big out. He struck out a guy to end the 8th with the Yankees up 6-3.

I really never saw Yankee fans calling out Manny. If anything, the Yankee fans I surround myself with love Manny.

Manny just cant get mad at fastballs flying past his head if he chooses to pose when he hits one.

There is a difference between a pitcher celebrating an inning ending strikeout, a batter celebrating AS HE ROUNDS THE BASES and a scumbag d'bag like Manny Ramirez standing at home plate staring for five seconds at a home run that just made the game 11-2 in the Bottom of the 4th inning. Big difference.

Anyway, Joba should be able to do this and I hope doesn't stop. It shows that he actually cares and its great to see the players showing emotions on the field. I'd rather have an emotional player over someone who just goes out there and is never fired up. I don't trust a dull player, like Alex Rodriguez, when the game is on the line. Never.

There is a difference between a pitcher celebrating an inning ending strikeout, a batter celebrating AS HE ROUNDS THE BASES and a scumbag d'bag like Manny Ramirez standing at home plate staring for five seconds at a home run that just made the game 11-2 in the Bottom of the 4th inning. Big difference.

Can you say double standard? Joba strikes out a guy with no on in the bottom of the 8th with the Yankees up by 3.

99% of the time when Manny admires one of his homeruns it puts the Sox ahead or wins the game.

As I said, I have no problem with what Joba did. I just find the double standard laughable.

To him it was big because it was his first real test at a bounce back after a bad outing. He had all of season to deal with the playoffs and the bugs. Tis one was right after he gave up the homer a few days before.

The difference between Manny and Joba, is Joba doesnt stare at the batter when he does it, Manny stared at the pitcher afterwards.

Anyway, Joba should be able to do this and I hope doesn't stop. It shows that he actually cares and its great to see the players showing emotions on the field. I'd rather have an emotional player over someone who just goes out there and is never fired up. I don't trust a dull player, like Alex Rodriguez, when the game is on the line. Never.

Joba struck a guy out with nobody on, with a 3 run lead...where is the big situation there? He said when he struck out Frank Thomas, "I did it because he has been an idol of mine, I had posters of him on my wall growing up." Lame....what's the deal with Dellucci? Because he took him deep 2 nights before, this was some sort of payback?

I'm not a fan of it, but I don't mind the excitement or "gamesmanship" some guys show, but don't look at it with yankee colored glasses on. If Joba can do it, then don't complain when Papelbon does it, don't complain when Manny hits one 600 feet off Mussina and doesn't leave the box until it lands. Should he get drilled between the numbers next time up? Absolutely. But when Joba does it, ARod or Jeter shouldn't get upset when they get dusted.

Also, I've seen alot of posts saying that Delucci is just a scrub and journeyman, my question is, if that's true, and Joba is indeed the pitcher he looks like he is, isn't he supposed to strike guys like Dellucci out then?

Joba struck a guy out with nobody on, with a 3 run lead...where is the big situation there? He said when he struck out Frank Thomas, "I did it because he has been an idol of mine, I had posters of him on my wall growing up." Lame....what's the deal with Dellucci? Because he took him deep 2 nights before, this was some sort of payback?

I'm not a fan of it, but I don't mind the excitement or "gamesmanship" some guys show, but don't look at it with yankee colored glasses on. If Joba can do it, then don't complain when Papelbon does it, don't complain when Manny hits one 600 feet off Mussina and doesn't leave the box until it lands. Should he get drilled between the numbers next time up? Absolutely. But when Joba does it, ARod or Jeter shouldn't get upset when they get dusted.

Also, I've seen alot of posts saying that Delucci is just a scrub and journeyman, my question is, if that's true, and Joba is indeed the pitcher he looks like he is, isn't he supposed to strike guys like Dellucci out then?

Great post toon. I agree 100%.

The difference in the minds of Gainzo and toon88 are this:

The batter is the same one who the night before hit the game winning Homerun off of Joba. Joba is coming back as to say I got you now, and he was even seen mouthing "I'm back". Everyone has a rough outing and he was taking out his frustration for it.

I don't complain when Papelbon does it, even though its ridiculous that he isn't critized as much as Joba and this is what? Maybe the third or fourth time THIS SEASON that Joba has celebrated after an inning.

As for the "its just the 8th inning" garbage. Hello, this is Yankee land, and especially this year so far, once we have a lead after the 8th, ITS OVER. I wouldn't care if Okajima did it or whoever the pathetic Mets role out there either. Then again 88, your precious Wagner blows games like they're going out of style, Gagne style. At least he did last year.

There is no double standard. Standing there staring is being a d'bag. Celebrating after you strike somewhat out or while you're rounding the bases is expected and a known fact that its going to happen. Only d'bags such as Ramirez stand there and admire a Homerun that half of the time means nothing.

The batter is the same one who the night before hit the game winning Homerun off of Joba. Joba is coming back as to say I got you now, and he was even seen mouthing "I'm back". Everyone has a rough outing and he was taking out his frustration for it.

I don't complain when Papelbon does it, even though its ridiculous that he isn't critized as much as Joba and this is what? Maybe the third or fourth time THIS SEASON that Joba has celebrated after an inning.

As for the "its just the 8th inning" garbage. Hello, this is Yankee land, and especially this year so far, once we have a lead after the 8th, ITS OVER. I wouldn't care if Okajima did it or whoever the pathetic Mets role out there either. Then again 88, your precious Wagner blows games like they're going out of style, Gagne style. At least he did last year.

There is no double standard. Standing there staring is being a d'bag. Celebrating after you strike somewhat out or while you're rounding the bases is expected and a known fact that its going to happen. Only d'bags such as Ramirez stand there and admire a Homerun that half of the time means nothing.

So only pitchers can show up hitters? Gotcha.

41sbQplN6BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

You really come off pitiful looking in these posts.

Taking swipes at other teams, making backhanded remarks, and then defending Yankees.

Can you say double standard? Joba strikes out a guy with no on in the bottom of the 8th with the Yankees up by 3.

99% of the time when Manny admires one of his homeruns it puts the Sox ahead or wins the game.

As I said, I have no problem with what Joba did. I just find the double standard laughable.

LOL, no.

this entire paragraph makes zero sense joe, and only shows you doing what you always do, go on the defensive and try to take down other teams when someone tries to have a grown up conversation about one of your teams.

anyway, so Joba has done it "3 or 4 times" this season...how many times has he struck a guy out to end the inning this season??? 3 or 4 times has to be a very high percentage I would think.

As for Ramirez standing there and watching...drill him between the numbers next time up. You can't do that with Joba. That's why Clemens had no problem drilling people all those years, and Pedro....they didn't have to get in the batter's box.

Arod does his little bat flip, Ramirez stands there until it lands, Joba dances and shouts and pumps his fist. Congrats guys, you did your job that you are getting paid a TON of money to do.

Archived