Jets Sign Try Out Kicker

jetsrule128

The New York Jets have signed free agent kicker Mark Myers. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Myers (6'2", 195) played in three games in the CFL for Hamilton in 2006, hitting five of six field goals, including a 44-yard game-winning kick vs. Calgary in his debut.In four seasons at Florida Atlantic University (2001-04), he set 17 school records while connecting on 43 of 59 field goals (72.9 percent) with a career long of 53 and scoring a school-record 230 points.

Somebody needs to hold Nugent's jockstrap during July. I mean, you can't have his leg tire out during Training Camp. Maybe they'll give Nuge the LaDainian Tomlinson treatment and just have him sit on the sidelines during the Preseason just in case of a botched snap and a possible injury. You can't put your MVP in grave danger like that in the Preseason.

The Jets late this afternoon signed free agent kicker Mark Myers, formerly of the CFL and before that a standout at Florida Atlantic University. At Florida Atlantic from 2001-04, Myers set 17 school records, going 43-for-59 in field goals. Never can have enough kickers in camp. Also, to clarify the 80-men-to-a-roster rule, draft picks don't count against the roster until they have officially signed, meaning with the addition of Myers, the Jets current roster size is 75.

So Nugent's nine last season weren't enough for you? :eek:

Nine is not a bad number but I remember to many being fielded at the fifteen. Guess I was just spoiled by remembering John Hall hit the endzone each and every kick off. But like they say this is just to give him a breather during camp.

Nine is not a bad number but I remember to many being fielded at the fifteen. Guess I was just spoiled by remembering John Hall hit the endzone each and every kick off. But like they say this is just to give him a breather during camp.

Hall only had that one season where he buried like two dozen kickoffs. Given his reliability on FG's, I'd say that's a lousy tradeoff. He used to miss chip-shots at inopportune moments. I don't miss him at all.

Netting an extra 5 yards of field position on kickoffs is great, but it's more important for a kicker to nail sure FG's. Nugent's pretty good at that. Not 2nd-round good at it, but that's over and done with at this point. I do wish his FG range was a little longer, but at least 35 yarders isn't the adventure it was with Hall.

Hey, our board is getting smarter. Last year at this time, there was a long thread about what a slap in the face it was for Nugent to have us sign and bring another kicker in to camp to challenge him. The lunatic fringe must be learning.....everyone brings in kickers, just like everyone brings catchers in to spring training in baseball. It lessens the workload on your starter and keeps his leg from crapping out before the season starts.

The team doesnt set up to kick it in the end zone every time. Often they kick it directionally to assist the coverage team in containing a good return man by reducing the field. this makes it more difficult to kick the ball into the end zone by increasing the distance and giving the kicker something to think about other than just booming it.

Nuge's value as a FG kicker out ways any real or perceived short comings he has kicking off.

Archived