Randy Lange on Pennington

flgreen

Pennington: 'The Best Place for Me to Be'

Published: 05-15-08

By Randy Lange

Editor-in-Chief

change font email article

This article on Chad Pennington, along with a companion piece on Kellen Clemens, is the eighth and last in a series of stories reviewing the Jets' 2007 season and previewing 2008, position by position.

No. 10 is ready for Year 9.

"I've decided that being a New York Jet this year is the best place for me to be and this is where I need to be for 2008," Chad Pennington told newyorkjets.com in the past week. "That was a family decision, a professional and career decision. And I feel like this is the best place to be going into my ninth season of professional football. I'm not looking back, I'm not worried about the future nor the past. I'm really focused on the present and doing what I can do to help us win games."

There had been much speculation outside the Jets as to where Pennington's future might lie following last season's offensive and team struggles to a 4-12 record.

But head coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum have remained on message all off-season, with Tannenbaum saying as recently as the second day of last month's NFL Draft of Pennington and Kellen Clemens: "We like both those guys and the best player will play. Both will compete through the summer."

For Pennington, who has gotten the ball for each of the two season openers and 25 starts in all under Mangini, including after a long, hot summer four-way QB derby in 2006, that's fine by him.

"All personnel decisions are made by one man and that's Coach Mangini," he said. "My approach to the game, my approach as a professional, has never changed and will never change. I feel very confident in my abilities to win

In what's essentially a fluff piece...

"I've decided that being a New York Jet this year is the best place for me to be and this is where I need to be for 2008," Chad Pennington told newyorkjets.com in the past week. "That was a family decision, a professional and career decision... "

This tells me that there was some real thought put into the idea of looking for a trade or asking to be released. And maybe the realization that he couldn't do any better finacially anywhere else. Or have even a chance to start - or maybe make a roster.

it may be that the Jets couldn't or wouldn't trade pennington, but the fact is he's not entirely unhappy about being with the Jets this year. I take this as a great testimony to the kind of organization the Jets have. a player in his situation with another organization would be busting balls to get traded.

i also like that chad's taking his physical conditioning even more seriously this year. he's got real durability issues, so if he expects to play through a season he's smart for preparing for it now. I always thought this was tom brady's main asset in that he took his conditioning so seriously. it shows in how durable the guy is. same with peyton manning.

i respect chad's opinion so i'll take his comments about the FO's offseason at face value. good job mike.

say what you want about pennington, but he has real leadership. i wonder who else called the rookies to welcome them to the team and help them get acclimated.

it may be that the Jets couldn't or wouldn't trade pennington, but the fact is he's not entirely unhappy about being with the Jets this year. I take this as a great testimony to the kind of organization the Jets have. a player in his situation with another organization would be busting balls to get traded.

i also like that chad's taking his physical conditioning even more seriously this year. he's got real durability issues, so if he expects to play through a season he's smart for preparing for it now. I always thought this was tom brady's main asset in that he took his conditioning so seriously. it shows in how durable the guy is. same with peyton manning.

i respect chad's opinion so i'll take his comments about the FO's offseason at face value. good job mike.

say what you want about pennington, but he has real leadership. i wonder who else called the rookies to welcome them to the team and help them get acclimated.

I'm sorry - did you just use the word "durable" to describe Chad Pennington?

Pennington: 'The Best Place for Me to Be'

Published: 05-15-08

By Randy Lange

Editor-in-Chief

change font email article

This article on Chad Pennington, along with a companion piece on Kellen Clemens, is the eighth and last in a series of stories reviewing the Jets' 2007 season and previewing 2008, position by position.

No. 10 is ready for Year 9.

"I've decided that being a New York Jet this year is the best place for me to be and this is where I need to be for 2008," Chad Pennington told newyorkjets.com in the past week. "That was a family decision, a professional and career decision. And I feel like this is the best place to be going into my ninth season of professional football. I'm not looking back, I'm not worried about the future nor the past. I'm really focused on the present and doing what I can do to help us win games."

There had been much speculation outside the Jets as to where Pennington's future might lie following last season's offensive and team struggles to a 4-12 record.

But head coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum have remained on message all off-season, with Tannenbaum saying as recently as the second day of last month's NFL Draft of Pennington and Kellen Clemens: "We like both those guys and the best player will play. Both will compete through the summer."

For Pennington, who has gotten the ball for each of the two season openers and 25 starts in all under Mangini, including after a long, hot summer four-way QB derby in 2006, that's fine by him.

"All personnel decisions are made by one man and that's Coach Mangini," he said. "My approach to the game, my approach as a professional, has never changed and will never change. I feel very confident in my abilities to win

In what's essentially a fluff piece...

This tells me that there was some real thought put into the idea of looking for a trade or asking to be released. And maybe the realization that he couldn't do any better finacially anywhere else. Or have even a chance to start - or maybe make a roster.

Are you for real? It's one thing to say Chad might not start if he went to another team but you really think he would struggle to make a roster? That's a bit ridiculous.

Penny is a class act and a warrior, too bad his arm is trashed.

Agreed, no matter how you feel about Pennington's ability on the field, and we all know he wants to be traded, but at least he's not creating a big issue about it with the media.

Are you for real? It's one thing to say Chad might not start if he went to another team but you really think he would struggle to make a roster? That's a bit ridiculous.

Chad has no arm. He has value as a backup, but right now I'd say that value is less than what he's currently getting paid. A team with younger and/or less expensive QB's could definitely make the decision to cut Pennington in training camp. If the Jets had Drafted Matt Ryan, Pennington would be in danger of getting cut here.

If he were to get cut in August, where would he go?

I've always liked Chad. I've got my #10 cap and everything. But he's pretty much toast.

Chad would struggle to make any NFL roster when he's got $6M in salary coming to him for the season (in addition to the $3M that was already paid to him up front as SB).

Chad would easily make another roster if he was making a lot less. He would not easily make another roster for $6M for this season.

Chad would struggle to make any NFL roster when he's got $6M in salary coming to him for the season (in addition to the $3M that was already paid to him up front as SB).

Chad would easily make another roster if he was making a lot less. He would not easily make another roster for $6M for this season.

I'm sure that was the extent of the family decision.

Mrs. Chad: Honey, you should get yourself traded to a team that appreciates you.

Chad: I talked to my agent, and he says no other team in the league will come close to paying me $6M this year.

Mrs. Chad: Did I say you should demand a trade? Oh, heavens no! I love the Jets! You stay right here. This is the best place for you.

Chad has no arm. He has value as a backup, but right now I'd say that value is less than what he's currently getting paid. A team with younger and/or less expensive QB's could definitely make the decision to cut Pennington in training camp. If the Jets had Drafted Matt Ryan, Pennington would be in danger of getting cut here.

If he were to get cut in August, where would he go?

I've always liked Chad. I've got my #10 cap and everything. But he's pretty much toast.

If the Jets had drafted Matt Ryan, Clemens would probably be the one on the way out regardless of Chad's salary. They wouldn't have a QB with 8 games experience as the only "Vet" at the position. I disagree he is toast but even if that is true you still need a QB with real experience on the roster (especially when you just went on a spending spree like the Jets just did). If they didn't have the cap room it might be different but they do.

If the Jets had drafted Matt Ryan, Clemens would probably be the one on the way out regardless of Chad's salary. They wouldn't have a QB with 8 games experience as the only "Vet" at the position. I disagree he is toast but even if that is true you still need a QB with real experience on the roster (especially when you just went on a spending spree like the Jets just did). If they didn't have the cap room it might be different but they do.

If that's true then why, even without drafting Matt Ryan, were the Jets actively engaged in trade discussions regarding Pennington?

I agree they probably wouldn't go with three youngsters, but they could always find another vet looking for a job. That probably was the plan if they found a taker for Chad.

If that's true then why, even without drafting Matt Ryan, were the Jets actively engaged in trade discussions regarding Pennington?

I agree they probably wouldn't go with three youngsters, but they could always find another vet looking for a job. That probably was the plan if they found a taker for Chad.

The Jets were NOT active in trying to trade him. Where do you get from? Chad said his agent had talked to the Jets about the possibility and the Jets were not hot on the idea. They never shopped him other than in media speculations.

The Jets were NOT active in trying to trade him. Where do you get from? Chad said his agent had talked to the Jets about the possibility and the Jets were not hot on the idea. They never shopped him other than in media speculations.

I'm confident that they spoke to other teams regarding Chad. You have to be naive to think they didn't.

I'm confident that they spoke to other teams regarding Chad. You have to be naive to think they didn't.

You're confident that they tried to move him? So you work for the FO? Why would Chad lie and say that the team was not willing to try to trade him? What does he gain from that?

I know you wanted him to get traded and you want to believe that the Jets don't want him but there is nothing to it other than that.

You're confident that they tried to move him? So you work for the FO? Why would Chad lie and say that the team was not willing to try to trade him? What does he gain from that?

I know you wanted him to get traded and you want to believe that the Jets don't want him but there is nothing to it other than that.

Got to agree with Jetfuel on this one.

Nowhere have I read that the Jets were trying to move Pennington.

They would have to be insane to put the team in Clemens hands after spending 140 million. I'm pulling for Clemens, but the kid showed nothing last year.

Got to agree with Jetfuel on this one.

Nowhere have I read that the Jets were trying to move Pennington.

They would have to be insane to put the team in Clemens hands after spending 140 million. I'm pulling for Clemens, but the kid showed nothing last year.

Even if they were to go with Kellen, who would be the back-up? You do not go into a season with a QB with 8 games experience (and a rocky experience at that) with an undrafted free agent (Ratliff) and a 5th round rookie (Ainge) as the 2nd and 3rd string. That is just irresponsible, especially after all the spending they did.

For those who dislike Chad, that can be your only reason why the Jets did not trade him if it makes you feel better. Clemens has a great chance to start. He just has to earn it.

You've got me all wrong. I wasn't gung ho for Chad to be traded at all.

I haven't read where Chad said the team was unwilling to move him. And even if he did say such a thing, when do you think the Jets would've made the determination that they had become unwilling? Before or after they gauged the market for him?

What I did read from Pennington is that he made a family decision that the Jets were the best place for him to be this year. Again, do you think he made that determination before or after his agent found out how willing any other team in the league was to pay his current salary?

It's naive to think that trading Pennington wasn't explored. At the end of the season, Chad wanted out. Unfortunately for him, there wasn't much exploration at all because no one was offering the Jets or Pennington much to get such a deal done.

And as for who the Jets would go with at QB is they did move him, it's safe to assume that they'd acquire an inexpensive vet to be the #2 man this year. Maybe a guy like Tui. They're out there. It wouldn't have to be Ratliff and Ainge if Chad wasn't here.

I'm sure that was the extent of the family decision.

Mrs. Chad: Honey, you should get yourself traded to a team that appreciates you.

Chad: I talked to my agent, and he says no other team in the league will come close to paying me $6M this year.

Mrs. Chad: Did I say you should demand a trade? Oh, heavens no! I love the Jets! You stay right here. This is the best place for you.

That isn't what I meant.

Clearly he would make some other NFL team. He sucks, but holy crap there are 7th-round nobodies who will make a roster for one season.

My point is that if he was locked into a $6M salary for the year (like he is with the Jets) I don't know that it's a sure-thing he'd be able to find a job as either a starting QB or a backup.

It's entirely possible that he feels this is the best place for him to be because:

(1) no one else wanted him that badly (or they'd have anted up at the combine)

(2) no one else wanted him at near his current salary

(3) no one else wanted him to be their starter this year

That isn't what I meant.

Clearly he would make some other NFL team. He sucks, but holy crap there are 7th-round nobodies who will make a roster for one season.

My point is that if he was locked into a $6M salary for the year (like he is with the Jets) I don't know that it's a sure-thing he'd be able to find a job as either a starting QB or a backup.

It's entirely possible that he feels this is the best place for him to be because:

(1) no one else wanted him that badly (or they'd have anted up at the combine)

(2) no one else wanted him at near his current salary

(3) no one else wanted him to be their starter this year

impossible. All of the teams wanted him, they just weren't ready to give up 3 first round draft picks. Which is exactly what the Jets were asking for.

You've got me all wrong. I wasn't gung ho for Chad to be traded at all.

I haven't read where Chad said the team was unwilling to move him. And even if he did say such a thing, when do you think the Jets would've made the determination that they had become unwilling? Before or after they gauged the market for him?

What I did read from Pennington is that he made a family decision that the Jets were the best place for him to be this year. Again, do you think he made that determination before or after his agent found out how willing any other team in the league was to pay his current salary?

It's naive to think that trading Pennington wasn't explored. At the end of the season, Chad wanted out. Unfortunately for him, there wasn't much exploration at all because no one was offering the Jets or Pennington much to get such a deal done.

And as for who the Jets would go with at QB is they did move him, it's safe to assume that they'd acquire an inexpensive vet to be the #2 man this year. Maybe a guy like Tui. They're out there. It wouldn't have to be Ratliff and Ainge if Chad wasn't here.

I didn't think you wanted them to trade him but I think you're wrong about it. I'm not taking it personally. Let me explain where I'm coming from. True, they could have handed the ball to Clemens and brought in Kelly Holcomb or some other FA. Even if you think Chad sucks, he is a veteran who knows this Offense. Bringing in a new guy unfamiliar with the system would be counter productive at this point should something happen to Clemens. You may not love Chad but I'd rather have him in there than some vet you bring in to be a backup and have to teach him the system. Between that, the fact they have the cap room to keep Chad for at least this year, and the fact that Chad basically said that his agent gauged the Jets interest in moving him and they said no (there is no reason for him to make that up) it does not make sense that they were going to move him. There is no evidence of it either. It just doesn't make sense that they would put that much faith in Clemens after what we saw last year. I'm not saying he can't be a very good QB or that I don't want him to be, just that it would be stupid to do that at this point. It just makes no football sense and there is nothing to back it up. The Offense may not have worked all that well but it is a very complex system and I think that Mangini is smart enough to know that it would be a risky move to have to bring in someone from the available pool and hope that (a) Clemens is the guy they thought they drafted and (B) that Clemens doesn't go down from injury.

correction: I went back and saw that I did say you wanted him traded. It seems like most people do want him gone and I'm kind of used to that. Sorry about the mistake.

impossible. All of the teams wanted him, they just weren't ready to give up 3 first round draft picks. Which is exactly what the Jets were asking for.

I heard the Chiefs offered their 1st and 2nd in 2008 and their 1st in 2009 and it wasn't enough :deshade:

Archived