Chad less then thrilled with QB battle- Cimini

Kentucky Jet

Dont start counting your accolades yet Nostradamus - if that pus arm is starting we're in such bad shape there wont be anybody here to give you your due praise.

I'm not looking for praise and I really don't care who wins the job. I just want a competition because neither one of them earned anything last year. I want Mangini to decide who is worthy, not the fans.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you even watch the Jets?

I guess you don't, since you seem to forget last season, when, as bad as the rest of the team was, Chad single-handedly lost the Jets games against the Giants, Bengals, and Eagles.

I guess you also didn't notice that the offense scored more points after the skittish Kellen Clemens became the quarterback.

But, who wants their QB to lead their team to "points"? What I want behind center is a guy that is a classy warrior. I don't want any of this fancy "offensive production" stuff, or "the ability to lead the team back from behind". That's for loser teams like the Pats and Giants. No, sir. I want me a classy warrior.

I haven't missed a game since 1980 so I'd say I watch the Jets. Thanks for asking though. Clemens really lit it up, you're right. They turned into a top 5 Offense with him in there. My favorite was how he schooled the Chiefs in the last week. That was awesome.

Blah Blah Blah! Are you conceding that Chad will be starting? Otherwise I won't even get to make those excuses. He has much more TD's than INT's so I don't know where you pulled that from. The alternative has a 1-2 TD-INT ratio in his career to date. Wrong argument.

Since 2002:

58 TDs, 49 INTs

Since 2005:

29 TDs, 28 INTs

I haven't missed a game since 1980 so I'd say I watch the Jets. Thanks for asking though. Clemens really lit it up, you're right. They turned into a top 5 Offense with him in there. My favorite was how he schooled the Chiefs in the last week. That was awesome.

They didn't have to turn into a top five offense. All they had to do was better than they were when LadyArm McGee was the QB. And they were. Without our #1 receiver.

McCariens did that gave an easy td into a pick and not to mention a win into a lost

So where was Clemens for the other 45 minutes of that game? That's why Clemens wasn't good last year? Because McCaerins dropped a pass. I admit that was very aggravating to watch but hardly an excuse for Kellen's play last year. Both QB's were disgusting to watch last year.

They didn't have to turn into a top five offense. All they had to do was better than they were when LadyArm McGee was the QB. And they were. Without our #1 receiver.

They didn't look any better on Offense to me. The D got better but not the Offense. Clemens had the worst QB rating in the league and barely completed 50% of his passes. What games were you watching? The guy was awful. They both were.

The notion that Chad owes absolutely nothing to this team is ridiculous. He is the highest paid backup QB in the league and he should be very thankful to still be on the roster. He isn't making the same amount of money starting somewhere else that he is while he sits his ass on our bench and waves a towel. Shut the **** up and take it, Chad. If you didn't absolutely ****ing suck the last three years you wouldn't be in this situation, buddy.

Like I said, bringing up money is pretty ridiculous as that's all the fault of the Jets. Your blaming Pennington for accepting his contract offer?? Seriously?? It's the Jets fault that Pennington has such a high salary, not Chads. Like I said, he doesn't 'owe' the Jets just because they were dumb enough to overpay him.

Money obviously isn't the main issue though here. Chad knows he could definetly be a starter in this league for at least another season and he doesn't like the idea of being a backup. It's pretty simple.

I respect chad but if he was such a "team" player why doesn't he take a pay cut. He lost his starting role because of injuries and will never be the same player again. your lost, when u hear Chad Pennington u see the 2002 chad before injuries.

if u really believe he is the same then u must think every star pitcher in baseball that gets tommy john surgery will be the same when they come back.

I see Chad of 2002? You have no idea what you're talking about. Don't assume you know what I see. When have I ever said that?

He took a pay cut a few years ago and I don't expect him to take one again. In the NFL they can cut you and they can throw you away. Why should a guy give his money back voluntarily? That's just dopey.

Chad is a veteran QB who looked strikingly sub par in comparison to a rookie QB, are you srsly making this argument? They both sucked, but Chad lost his job to a rookie who led the team to more win's than Chad did. Chad is finished.

Unfortunately for you, the Coach does not agree with you.

May 15, 2008

Practice notes: Chad less than thrilled with QB battle

We talked to Pennington after practice and he seemed - how shall I put this? - not thrilled with his situation, but willing to be the good soldier for another year. My gut feeling: He wanted out, but the club refused to trade him. In fact, he confirmed a Daily News story from March, which said his agent and the Jets had discussions at the scouting combine about a possible trade.

Well at least he graced everyone with his presense. There was some talk in the beat writter blogs that he might boycott because he wasnt thrilled. I wonder if he has any idea how many Jet fans are light years away from being thrilled he's been given a practice uniform. I'm starting to wonder if he's as delusional as his ever dwindling army.

So where was Clemens for the other 45 minutes of that game? That's why Clemens wasn't good last year? Because McCaerins dropped a pass. I admit that was very aggravating to watch but hardly an excuse for Kellen's play last year. Both QB's were disgusting to watch last year.

What you fail to mention is that this was Clemens' FIRST CAREER START.

Going back to 2005, where was Chad for the 55 minutes of that opening game against KC?

In 2006, where the hell was Chad the first 60 minutes of the Jacksonville and Chicago games? Where was he the the first 58 minutes of that Cleveland game? We should have killed the Browns. They absolutely sucked in '06. Everyone blames the refs for the Baker play, but if our fearless leader had showed up before the two minute warning, we wouldn't have been in that situation to begin with.

Both QBs were disgusting to watch, which is why we need to go for the upside of the 31-year old six year starter, rather than the highly drafted kid that got to start 8 whole games for a 4-12 team that Veteran McGritty led to a 1-7 record.

They didn't look any better on Offense to me. The D got better but not the Offense. Clemens had the worst QB rating in the league and barely completed 50% of his passes. What games were you watching? The guy was awful. They both were.

Chad has played for six seasons.

Kellen has played for one.

The simple fact that the two players are comparable doesn't say much for Chad.

The only people on earth that care about QB rating are Penningtologists, because it places a ridiculous premium on the only thing he does well: complete passes. Of course, QB rating doesn't factor in that most of the passes were dump-offs.

The offense didn't look better to you? You know what looked better to me? The scoreboard.

I just wonder if Chad could have set some Andrew Walter-like records for offensive futility if he had to play six games without Laveranues Coles like Clemens did. What a shame we'll never know.

Like I said, bringing up money is pretty ridiculous as that's all the fault of the Jets. Your blaming Pennington for accepting his contract offer?? Seriously?? It's the Jets fault that Pennington has such a high salary, not Chads. Like I said, he doesn't 'owe' the Jets just because they were dumb enough to overpay him.

Money obviously isn't the main issue though here. Chad knows he could definetly be a starter in this league for at least another season and he doesn't like the idea of being a backup. It's pretty simple.

I am not blaming for accepting the contract. I am saying that because the Jets gave him that ridiculous contract, a contract which no other regime but Herm/Bradway would have given a guy that had one good season, and followed it up with an injury-plagued mediocre one, he has no right to bitch. This organization owes him jack ****, but he's insulted to have to compete for a starting job? After he's ****ing sucked the last three years? Cry me a river, dickface.

The only people on earth that care about QB rating are Penningtologists, because it places a ridiculous premium on the only thing he does well: complete passes. Of course, QB rating doesn't factor in that most of the passes were dump-offs.

The offense didn't look better to you? You know what looked better to me? The scoreboard.

I just wonder if Chad could have set some Andrew Walter-like records for offensive futility if he had to play six games without Laveranues Coles like Clemens did. What a shame we'll never know.

One of the biggest factors of rating is yards per attempt...

We talked to Pennington after practice and he seemed - how shall I put this? - not thrilled with his situation, but willing to be the good soldier for another year. My gut feeling: He wanted out, but the club refused to trade him. In fact, he confirmed a Daily News story from March, which said his agent and the Jets had discussions at the scouting combine about a possible trade.

He's a professional. the best man will play, which I'm sure he thinks he is. he doesn't have much to be thrilled about if he can't beat out a second year QB in Clemens.

that could be interesting, smith holding the snap and throwing it rather than kicking the field goal. definitely mangini's style.

the thing that worries me about this is that smith can't catch a third down pass, how is he going to catch a game winning field goal attempt?

the thing that worries me about this is that smith can't catch a third down pass, how is he going to catch a game winning field goal attempt?

just the same i don't think mangini is through experimenting with smith's versatility, do you? :)

I see Chad of 2002? You have no idea what you're talking about. Don't assume you know what I see. When have I ever said that?

He took a pay cut a few years ago and I don't expect him to take one again. In the NFL they can cut you and they can throw you away. Why should a guy give his money back voluntarily? That's just dopey.

Chad Pennington has not made one dollar less to date than his original contract called for. I have no idea how or why anyone thinks differently.

The only way he would have taken a pay cut is if he was unable to complete the HOF-worthy task of starting 10 football games in the same season. Every nickel of the $6,000,000 "pay cut" was paid to him in the form of NLTBE incentives in the same year as the "cut." How pitiful is that? A QB with a $64M contract (and according to the nflpa, his original contract was more than that) is "not likely" to start 10 football games in the same season.

His original contract was:

2004: $19M

2005: $3M

2006: $9M (a bull***t $3M more was for part-time special teams play; it was a cap move designed to shift $3M of cap space from one year to another and never intended to be paid, as he has never played special teams & was never going to. This is the illustrious "pay cut" he took, as it was excluded from his 2006 renegotiation)

2007: $4M

2008: $6M

2009: $7M

2010: $10.6M

2011: $10.2M

---------------

total: $68.8M of real bonus, salary, and escalators.

His contract and "pay cut"as it has played out so far:

2004: $19M

2005: $3M

2006: $9M

2007: $5M

2008: $6M

2009: $7M

2010: $10.6M

2011: $10.2M

---------------

total: $68.8M of real bonus, salary, and escalators.

I can only guess Cannizzero was behind this nonsense "pay cut" rumor as he is generally wrong about almost everything.

No, Chad has more than 2 people that don't hate him (including E-Curb and myself). Man I can't wait to here what everyone has to say when Chad wins the QB Battle. That should be fun.

Should be fun?

Yes, for a Fins, Bills, or a Pats fan, it would be a lot of fun. I used to be one of Chads biggest supporters and believers, but lets face it, the guy is now 32, and since the 04 season has been avg AT BEST. Kellen Clemens is in his 3rd year after being drafted in rd 2. If Clemens cant beat out Chad now, that means that our QB of the future is a bust. Granted, not every good QB in the league is that good in their first three years, but most are at least starting by their 3rd season.

So, what happens from there? We have to draft another QB to groom for 2 or 3 years as Chad turns 35 and enters his 12th year?

Chad is what he is, he can be an Avg. QB, but no more. As much as I admire his leadership skills, you have to put out the players that give the team the best chance to win. And quite honestly, Pennington doesnt really give us much of a chance to win. So, if KC cant beat out Pennington now, fun would be the last word I use to describe it.

Should be fun?

Yes, for a Fins, Bills, or a Pats fan, it would be a lot of fun. I used to be one of Chads biggest supporters and believers, but lets face it, the guy is now 32, and since the 04 season has been avg AT BEST. Kellen Clemens is in his 3rd year after being drafted in rd 2. If Clemens cant beat out Chad now, that means that our QB of the future is a bust. Granted, not every good QB in the league is that good in their first three years, but most are at least starting by their 3rd season.

So, what happens from there? We have to draft another QB to groom for 2 or 3 years as Chad turns 35 and enters his 12th year?

Chad is what he is, he can be an Avg. QB, but no more. As much as I admire his leadership skills, you have to put out the players that give the team the best chance to win. And quite honestly, Pennington doesnt really give us much of a chance to win. So, if KC cant beat out Pennington now, fun would be the last word I use to describe it.

Well put.

Chadophiles incorrectly assume that the rest of us want Clemens to start even if Pennington clobbers him over the spring/summer.

If I was the starting Quarterback of the team since 2002, I'd be a little pissed off too that I'd have to battle a third year guy who didn't show much the previous season and I've taken the team to the playoffs and the least the franchise could've done for me is trade me to another team where I could start. That being said, Clemens should start but Pennington will.

Chad Pennington doesn't owe the Jets ****? Are you ****ing serious?

They paid him $64 million to be a mediocre QB. The most accurate QB in NFL history? Lots of people could be the most accurate QB in NFL history if 95% of their passes traveled 3-5 yards.

Congrats, though, on actually naming four whole teams that this ****ing bum could start for.

So wait..did Chad jump in to Woody's vault an heist the contract?

Or was the FO too quick to jump the gun after one good half of a season?

Whether it's 1 team or 32 teams, the man is a starter somewhere. You claimed he should thank his lucky stars he's on this roster, when quite frankly he could be on another one.

Chad Pennington wouldn't be out of a job this season, so why she he be so happy to be a Jet?

That "one of the most accurate passers" excuse is completely null and void, He has absolutely nothing to show for it. A couple of playoff berths is about it. He offers us nothing. I dont understand why there are still Chad P junkies who call themselves JETS fans. BAFFLING.

Who's a "Chad P" junkie?

Are you actually disputing the fact that he wouldn't have another QB job elsewhere in the league?

The notion that Chad owes absolutely nothing to this team is ridiculous. He is the highest paid backup QB in the league and he should be very thankful to still be on the roster. He isn't making the same amount of money starting somewhere else that he is while he sits his ass on our bench and waves a towel. Shut the **** up and take it, Chad. If you didn't absolutely ****ing suck the last three years you wouldn't be in this situation, buddy.

What does he owe the team?

The NFL is a business...and the Jets decided to pay him.

If they cut him today he still makes money off that contract, might as well have him here competing.

And I can't wait to see what you guys have to say whenever Chad struggles to throw more TDs than INTs and can't move the ball whatsoever against a legit defense.

Oh, wait, I really can wait, because I already know what you'll say. It's the offensive lines' fault; it's the tailbacks' fault; it's the receivers' fault; it's the defenses' fault; it's the kicker's fault; it's Mangini's fault! Not Chad! Just get him 52 new team-mates and a new coaching staff and he'll show all you haters!

But when it was the defense..it was Chad's fault, right?

Blame is a two way street...Chad haters tend to forget that.

I respect chad but if he was such a "team" player why doesn't he take a pay cut. He lost his starting role because of injuries and will never be the same player again. your lost, when u hear Chad Pennington u see the 2002 chad before injuries.

if u really believe he is the same then u must think every star pitcher in baseball that gets tommy john surgery will be the same when they come back.

He took a pay cut prior to 2006..and made ALL of the money back on playing incentives.

I am not blaming for accepting the contract. I am saying that because the Jets gave him that ridiculous contract, a contract which no other regime but Herm/Bradway would have given a guy that had one good season, and followed it up with an injury-plagued mediocre one, he has no right to bitch. This organization owes him jack ****, but he's insulted to have to compete for a starting job? After he's ****ing sucked the last three years? Cry me a river, dickface.

Has chad once come out to the media telling how mad he was about competing?

Or is it journalism twisting ideas and sayings to their liking, pure speculation, or an interview question.

Show me one instance that Chad came out to he media and complained about his PT. Chad is a JET throughout, and has bled for this team on many occasions. We would be served well to have a lot more players of his demeanor on the team.

The only people on earth that care about QB rating are Penningtologists

Haha Penningtologists.

There was heart in 2006, the offense had no heart last season. Doesn't it seem that as a jet fan its always "well it'll be interesting this year" ? Well, it will be interesting this year.

Archived