Does anybody else think Dustin Keller is a complete bust in the making?

Chernobyl

Jet fans wanted a playmaker and I think they got him. He may not block but he's that other receiver we all wanted. Chatman and Franks can block for Chad's blazing speed and for TJones.

You guys make no sense... If blocking was so easy then why couldn't Doug Jolley learn how to do it??

Blocking is HARD! If Dustin failed to "learn" how to do it in college what makes you think he can "learn" how to do it in the pros..

My friends all say I am a very knowledgeable football fan.. You can learn from me... Im usually right about these things...

You guys make no sense... If blocking was so easy then why couldn't Doug Jolley learn how to do it??

Blocking is HARD! If Dustin failed to "learn" how to do it in college what makes you think he can "learn" how to do it in the pros..

My friends all say I am a very knowledgeable football fan.. You can learn from me... Im usually right about these things...

:rl:

herm edwards was his coach.

Dustin didnt fail to learn it in college, he wasnt asked to do it.

If you are so knowledgeable about football as your friends say, shouldnt you wait to see him actually play in the NFL before calling him a bust in the making?

The only thing you know is what other people have said and written. You dont have a single new idea of your own. Read Sperm Edwards for a while to see what a knowledgeable football fan looks like.

he's more like a hybrid TE/WR, i think b.shotty can find some creative ways to use him and challenge defenses...plus we needed a playmaker on offense and with his combination of size and speed, i think he'll turn out to be a great player!!!

Keller will be a beast. He's very similar to Vernon Davis, only Keller actually had some production in college.

I agree by week 5 this guys gonna be talked about all over the NFL.Keller jerseys will be a hot item watch and see.He was under the radar as far as draft day goes and the NYJETS found him.

Just had this sent to me from an interested Pats fan:

NFL teams do not draft TE's in the 1st round for their blocking ability.

Those guys are a dime a dozen in the 4th-6th rounds.

The reason the Jets used a 1st round pick on Keller is for his playmaking ability.

You will not see him in the traditional role of a TE linning up on the LOS and blocking down.

What you will see, is how the Pats use Ben Watson. Keller will be more in the slot, and the H receiver, more than a traditional TE.

Keller may not have great overall receptions and yardage numbers next year, but his YPC will be in the top 5 of all TE's in the NFL.

herm edwards was his coach.

Dustin didnt fail to learn it in college, he wasnt asked to do it.

If you are so knowledgeable about football as your friends say, shouldnt you wait to see him actually play in the NFL before calling him a bust in the making?

The only thing you know is what other people have said and written. You dont have a single new idea of your own. Read Sperm Edwards for a while to see what a knowledgeable football fan looks like.

That's not true...You owe me an apology....

What do you base any of this on? There were at least very solid rumors that the Giants and Seahawks would have taken him if he were there, so I don't think we could have gotten him at 36. Is Baker used as a "hybrid wr/te"? That recent article said over 70% of Baker's catches came when he was split out and not as a traditional in-line TE. You think he's already a likely bust? Who did you want to pick in the 2nd? Hardy? That's a guy with serious bust potential.

agree on hardy's bust factor, although I never said I wanted him. If we had to move up I would rather us got sweed. and I did say I hope he turns out good. it's just my opinion that he will probably not being that good.

agree on hardy's bust factor, although I never said I wanted him. If we had to move up I would rather us got sweed. and I did say I hope he turns out good. it's just my opinion that he will probably not being that good.

Sweed was my preferred pick also.

Time will tell for sure, but I hope we made the right decision.

I would rather we had stayed where we were and got Sweed, ya know where he still would have been available.

Fair enough. Sweed might not have been a bad choice. OTOH, trading up to get him obviously would have been a mistake seeing how he didn't go until Pittsburgh's 2nd and about eight other WR went ahead of him. Sweed isn't really bigger or faster than Keller. If our main problem is that Keller can't block, then what is the big difference with picking Sweed? Besides, Sweed had the wrist surgery and that is why he dropped. Presumably it is still a concern.

Keller wasn't on my radar, but I'm very interested to see what Schottie does with him. He came from SD and Antonio Gates, and one of Bubba Franks comments in mini-camp was that the Jets offense runs from the TE out, rather than from the WR's back. Maybe this guy's exactly what they need.

I don't worry about the "can't block" stuff. The guy wasn't asked to block in college, so what? By all acounts he's strong and willing. It's a skill that can be learned. I'd rather have a downfield threat at the position learning to block than a blocker trying to learn to be a downfield threat.

People expecting too much in his rookie year may be quick to cry, "bust!" But you have to give receivers some time. I suspect he just might be a great fit here.

That's not true...You owe me an apology....

No I wont.

Prove you know something before running your mouth. Everything you wrote I either heard on the radio or read online. You dont have any original thoughts.

Wait till football season to call someone a potential bust. This proves you are just another common schmuck football fan.

Fair enough. Sweed might not have been a bad choice. OTOH, trading up to get him obviously would have been a mistake seeing how he didn't go until Pittsburgh's 2nd and about eight other WR went ahead of him. Sweed isn't really bigger or faster than Keller. If our main problem is that Keller can't block, then what is the big difference with picking Sweed? Besides, Sweed had the wrist surgery and that is why he dropped. Presumably it is still a concern.

Like I said, time will tell. Sweed is a good 2-3" taller I think, which isn't insignificant. Maybe the difference between 5'11" and 6'1" isn't that big of a deal, but once you get a couple inches or more over 6'2" I think it becomes a bigger problem for a defender to cover.

Then again, Keller had like some wicked vertical leap. If he can catch while he's in the air & fully extended he's just as much trouble to cover. But a taller guy might not have to break stride to jump. Of course that's a bit of a stretch that someone would have to really jump 2" but that's the kind of rationalization that comes with being force-fed combine measurements.

TE WR H BACK does it really matter the kid is a football player end of story, if he was listed as a WR we would be all talking about a freak of nature but he got tagged as a TE; so what the kid will make plays and thats what this O needed, blocking would be nice but i'd rather see 30 yards seem routes eat up backers and safties! He will be a matchup nightmare and that will offset his abilility to block here and there.

Like I said, time will tell. Sweed is a good 2-3" taller I think, which isn't insignificant. Maybe the difference between 5'11" and 6'1" isn't that big of a deal, but once you get a couple inches or more over 6'2" I think it becomes a bigger problem for a defender to cover.

Then again, Keller had like some wicked vertical leap. If he can catch while he's in the air & fully extended he's just as much trouble to cover. But a taller guy might not have to break stride to jump. Of course that's a bit of a stretch that someone would have to really jump 2" but that's the kind of rationalization that comes with being force-fed combine measurements.

Time will tell on all of them. There are no sure things or sure busts.

That's the trouble with "listed" heights. Another value of the combine. Sweed and Keller were both listed at 6'4". At the combine that was disproved. Keller measured 6021 and Sweed 6037. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that should be a 1.6" difference. (That is serious-I'm not 100% sure how the combine lists the heights) Somewhat significant, but only barely over an inch and a half. Now they are "listed" at 6'2" for Keller and 6'4" for Sweed. The half to a tenth difference in speed may be more significant, but you've already stated you don't think a tenth is significant. I do, but Keller's short shuttle times were faster. . The point of the vertical isn't to jump 2" it's to jump the extra 2". Sweed had a pretty great vertical too, but it was 3" less than Keller.

Of course, Keller also outweighs Sweed by over 25 pounds. His strength numbers were monstrous. Those things will help him get off the line and boxing out for position. Meanwhile, Sweed, a tremendous athlete in his own right, has a wrist injury that prevented him from playing much of the season and limited him in workouts and the combine. I liked both of them as prospects though I didn't see much of Keller. Having seen the highlight reels I was shocked. The guy seems to run like a running back.

The last digit is in eights of an inch, not tenths.

6021 is 6 feet, 2 and 1/8 inches

6037 is 6 feet, 3 and 7/8 inches

So their difference is 1 and 7/8 difference if those are the official measurements. I just remember Sweed was supposedly 6'5" - apparently that's not true. But 6'4" is still pretty damn tall.

But seriously. Separate your thumb and forefinger so there is one inch. Is that really that big of a deal?

It shouldn't really matter how high the top of his head is from the ground, so much as how high the base of his palm is from the ground when his arms are extended over his head. This isn't Necessary Roughness - no one catches the ball with his head.

I'll take a 6'2" guy over a 6'4" guy (all other things being equal) if his arms are 3" longer.

So their difference is 1 and 7/8 difference if those are the official measurements. I just remember Sweed was supposedly 6'5" - apparently that's not true. But 6'4" is still pretty damn tall.

But seriously. Separate your thumb and forefinger so there is one inch. Is that really that big of a deal?

It shouldn't really matter how high the top of his head is from the ground, so much as how high the base of his palm is from the ground when his arms are extended over his head. This isn't Necessary Roughness - no one catches the ball with his head.

I'll take a 6'2" guy over a 6'4" guy (all other things being equal) if his arms are 3" longer.

True that!!!

Um... Sperm 6' 2 and 1/8 is 1 and 3/4" less than 6' 3 and 7/8". That extra 1/8" is significant!!!!!!!!!!!

True about the long arms comment. I think that is the Elton Brand effect in the NBA. Able to play with seven footers because of his freakishly long arms.

• 5 months later...
First of all he's a TE drafted in the 1st round... We all know the jets have had no luck in that department..

Second he is wearing #81.. Which means he will probably have problems catching the football.. see Curtis Conway and Justin McCariens

Well... Okay... that's some pretty circumstantial evidence..

What's most disturbing is the fact that Dustin can't block..... Didn't we play this game before with Doug Jolley??? You need to be able to block a little to play TE in the NFL... Can somebody make me feel better about this pick???

1st off,,if u think he is aTE u be wrong,,hback...

i think he will be a HUGE success,,I fear Gholston may have more trouble making impact than Keller..

Chernobyl is no Carnac

First of all he's a TE drafted in the 1st round... We all know the jets have had no luck in that department..

Second he is wearing #81.. Which means he will probably have problems catching the football.. see Curtis Conway and Justin McCariens

Well... Okay... that's some pretty circumstantial evidence..

What's most disturbing is the fact that Dustin can't block..... Didn't we play this game before with Doug Jolley??? You need to be able to block a little to play TE in the NFL... Can somebody make me feel better about this pick???

Parent_FAIL.ashx

Archived