The Best Band Of the 90's ARE BACK

jetsrule128

STP is definitely not as good as Soundgarden. They have some good stuff but they are a bit of a ripoff band. Rage is solid but their music can get pretty samey. Soundgarden is easily better than those bands IMO.

I like the Offspring but they are definitely not in the same league as Radiohead and Soundgarden.

Exactly. It's music. It's IMO. There is absolutely no way for you prove to anybody that Soundgarden is "better" than STP. Let alone easily. You think so, I don't. I like Soundgarden, but I find it difficult to listen to the complete album. I can listen to the first STP straight through twice in a row. I would take "Killing in the Name of" over the complete Soundgarden discography.

The Offspring had one solid album, their second album was mediocre, and by the third, they had completely sold out.

"Pretty Fly for a White Guy"? *shudders*

I knew I'd catch some grief for the Offspring. Oh sure, they became awful gimmicky. Just like JR128's choice. I thought there was an album or two before the one with "Self Esteem" that were good. If you are looking for important bands-whatever that means-those pop punk bands probably made the biggest impact. Grunge killed hair bands, but the pop punk explosion is what took over the radio.

Sugar Ray actually played harder stuff before that "every morning" crap took over Z-100. This song was kind of catchy:

Gjb7UD7jPqM

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They aren't that radio-friendly but they were more so than Soundgarden or Alice in Chains.

I don't think so. As a matter of fact, today if you listen to a rock station, you are probably more likely to hear one of those two than you are Nirvana. I think it just comes down to the fact that they were the pioneers and that's why they got all the radio time.

Maybe Radiohead but definitely none of the other ones. I like Nirvana, STP, and Rage but they definitely aren't as good as Soundgarden.

Tool is ehh for me and Elliott Smith is pretty good but obviously a completely different style of music. And gimme a break with Tupac.

Soundgarden and Radiohead's closest competition would be Kyuss IMO.

It's fine to have a differing opinion, i clearly couldn't care any less what someone listens to, however it seems sort of wrong to just discredit tupac like that. I am not a big fan of hiphop or rap, however tupac is well above either of those classes of music. If he isn't the best lyracist of the 90's he is damn close to it.

Rap may be crap right now, but it's foundations were actually pretty strong, by not even considering him as one of the best talent of the 90's seems to be a pretty 'white' train of thought.

I don't think so. As a matter of fact, today if you listen to a rock station, you are probably more likely to hear one of those two than you are Nirvana. I think it just comes down to the fact that they were the pioneers and that's why they got all the radio time.

The pioneers?

Soundgarden was formed before Nirvana and they had two EPs out before Nirvana released their first record.

Nirvana made it onto the radio first because they were the most radio friendly, not because they pioneered anything.

I never, ever hear Soundgarden on the radio, unless it's "Black Hole Sun", and Alice In Chains wouldn't get any airplay nowadays either if Layne Staley didn't die and they suddenly became more popular than ever before.

The pioneers?

Soundgarden was formed before Nirvana and they had two EPs out before Nirvana released their first record.

Nirvana made it onto the radio first because they were the most radio friendly, not because they pioneered anything.

I never, ever hear Soundgarden on the radio, unless it's "Black Hole Sun", and Alice In Chains wouldn't get any airplay nowadays either if Layne Staley didn't die and they suddenly became more popular than ever before.

I don't care which band was formed first or who released an album first. Nirvana was the first of those two to really get noticed. If you were going to go with radio friendly then Pearl Jam should have been the first Seattle band to break out.

I don't care which band was formed first or who released an album first. Nirvana was the first of those two to really get noticed. If you were going to go with radio friendly then Pearl Jam should have been the first Seattle band to break out.

In your last post, you claimed that Nirvana were the "pioneers" of grunge. Getting mainstream airplay first does not make them the pioneers.

Besides, I am pretty sure "Outshined" and "Man in the Box", both before Nevermind, got a little airplay, but not to the massive effect that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" did.

I think MTV and that stupid high school gym video helped out quite a bit too.

I would give the Red Hot Chili Peppers or the Foo Fighters a nod as well.

Sugar Ray? Best band of the 90's? That's like saying Kajagoogoo were the best band of the 80's.

Jane's Addiction or Chains were the best of the 90's. Take your pick.

In your last post, you claimed that Nirvana were the "pioneers" of grunge. Getting mainstream airplay first does not make them the pioneers.

Besides, I am pretty sure "Outshined" and "Man in the Box", both before Nevermind, got a little airplay, but not to the massive effect that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" did.

I think MTV and that stupid high school gym video helped out quite a bit too.

And they didnt write 'smells like teen spirit'

Have you heard "lets all make believe" and "whatever"? Those are 2 great songs from them that never made it on album. If you've never heard those, download them.

nah. thanks for the tip. I originally heard them through pandora.com. Because of that, I've only heard the songs Pandora suggested.

Archived