Cashman is going to get fired

uart

Prediction: if the Yankees miss the playoffs this year, Cashman is going to be fired. Too many Pavanos and Igawas, not enough Dice-K's and Santanas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about having a strong farm system and holding onto young talent, and he has done a pretty good job at that (not as well as others, perhaps, but not bad), but he's made too many big-money blunders.

Prediction: if the Yankees miss the playoffs this year, Cashman is going to be fired. Too many Pavanos and Igawas, not enough Dice-K's and Santanas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about having a strong farm system and holding onto young talent, and he has done a pretty good job at that (not as well as others, perhaps, but not bad), but he's made too many big-money blunders.

Pitching isn't our problem.

Offense is.

You probably haven't noticed that the Yankees starting rotation ERA is second worse in the AL. Something like that.

That really comes form Hughes and Kennedy

I liked Kennedy's last outing, and Rasner will be solid for us

The bats have really let us down....but then again when ARod comes back, i have a funny feeling you'll see one of those Yankee runs

That really comes form Hughes and Kennedy

I liked Kennedy's last outing, and Rasner will be solid for us

The bats have really let us down....but then again when ARod comes back, i have a funny feeling you'll see one of those Yankee runs

Fair point, Hughes and Kennedy have been disgustingly bad. With that said, Pettitte has been awful as well. The Yanks second best pitcher has been Mussina, and if thats the case going forward, that's going to be a scary proposition.

Offense is.

They are both problems... I hear Maddux might be available btw.

I also don't think they'd have much trouble prying Zito loose from San Fran. if they get desperate.

It would suck, but I'd take a year of missing the playoffs if it meant we took the next step in 2009. Thus far this seems to be a transition year, which Cashman expected. Hopefully we sneak in the playoffs and make some noise, I think its possible if not likely.

What did Santana do yesterday to make you regret the Yankees not getting him? He gave up 3 home runs to an offense that couldnt touch hector garza earlier in the week. He no longer throws 95 like he ddi at his peak, he gives up homers at an alarming rate. He is obviously on the decline. Hughes and Kennedy may end up busting, the the $140 million we would have had to give to Johan can now be allocated elsewhere like to Yu Darvish, if you are looking for a Dice-K

What did Santana do yesterday to make you regret the Yankees not getting him? He gave up 3 home runs to an offense that couldnt touch hector garza earlier in the week. He no longer throws 95 like he ddi at his peak, he gives up homers at an alarming rate. He is obviously on the decline. Hughes and Kennedy may end up busting, the the $140 million we would have had to give to Johan can now be allocated elsewhere like to Yu Darvish, if you are looking for a Dice-K

I'd love to get Yu Darvish, but he won't be posted until after 2010.

They are both problems... I hear Maddux might be available btw.

I also don't think they'd have much trouble prying Zito loose from San Fran. if they get desperate.

If Cashman trades for Zito, and absorbs that gigantic, hideous contract, he deserves to be fired over and over again until the end of time.

I am in complete agreement with you. Cashman needs to go if the Yankees miss the playoffs which they probably will. Mothf_cker passed up Dice-K - ok that's somewhat forgiveable but he then he passes up on getting Johan Santana.

And I am sick and tired of all these stubborn Yankees fans who are still defending the move not to trade Hughes, Kennedy and Melky for Johan. How on earth can anyone defend that sh*t?

Offense is.

The offense will be more than fine when A-Rod comes back. The starting pitching is the main concern. Cashman severely overrated Hughes and Kennedy and now we are paying for it big-time.

I still think the Yankees will return to being a force next year IF they sign CC Sabathia and enough of this BS with Joba not being a starter.

If the Yankees have a starting rotation of Wang, Sabathia, Joba and Darrel Rasner next season they will be a serious contender once again.

i believe cashman's contract runs out at the end of this season, so he wont be fired...

he will be the GM in Philly next year.

I hear some of the same. I think Hank is full of it as I thought we read early in spring training that Cash brushed off any contract talks the Yanks wanted. I could be wrong but thought that too place. Not a Cashman fan anyway as he got way too much credit for the three SP kids when the scouts were responsible for finding them. His track record with pitching has been weak for years though some say George forced the moves on him.

Funny thing is the Yanks may need Pavano this summer.

The offense will be more than fine when A-Rod comes back. The starting pitching is the main concern. Cashman severely overrated Hughes and Kennedy and now we are paying for it big-time.

I still think the Yankees will return to being a force next year IF they sign CC Sabathia and enough of this BS with Joba not being a starter.

If the Yankees have a starting rotation of Wang, Sabathia, Joba and Darrel Rasner next season they will be a serious contender once again.

We have no idea how Rasner or Joba will do long term as members of the rotation. If we say we do than we are guilty of the same thing you just accused Cashman of in regards to Hughes and Kennedy.

Tonight is a total horror show. If Mussina doesn't come back strong after this 2/3rds of an inning debacle, this rotation has been totally shot this time around.

Look on the bright side, at least Mussina's ERA didn't take a beating.

Kennedy and Hughes are going to be fine. Young guys take time to develop. Dont give up on them yet.

Voice of reason. Two reasons that we don't know yet about the Santana trade, after ONE AND A HALF MONTHS, I may add:

1. Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky at cheap prices for the next few years may turn out to be better value than just Santana. I have a feeling they will.

2. If you really think Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky was a good deal when the Mets got him for dirt cheap, you need to have your head examined. The Mets jobbed the Twins. Why give up top prospects when no one else is?

Voice of reason. Two reasons that we don't know yet about the Santana trade, after ONE AND A HALF MONTHS, I may add:

1. Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky at cheap prices for the next few years may turn out to be better value than just Santana. I have a feeling they will.

2. If you really think Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky was a good deal when the Mets got him for dirt cheap, you need to have your head examined. The Mets jobbed the Twins. Why give up top prospects when no one else is?

1. Have you seen Hughes and Kennedy pitch? So far it's been a horror show. Right now you couldn't get Ed Woodson for those two. Melky is a good player but expendable.

2. Because baseball is 90% about starting pitching. The Yankees won in the late 90's and 2000 b/c of that philosophy. Cone, Clemens, Pettite, Wells, Key and Gooden. Cashman has strayed from that philosophy while the Red Sox have embraced it.

Even if Hughes and Kennedy turned out to be great the Yankees would still have been in good shape with Wang and Santana in the rotation.

1. Have you seen Hughes and Kennedy pitch? So far it's been a horror show. Right now you couldn't get Ed Woodson for those two. Melky is a good player but expendable.

2. Because baseball is 90% about starting pitching. The Yankees won in the late 90's and 2000 b/c of that philosophy. Cone, Clemens, Pettite, Wells, Key and Gooden. Cashman has strayed from that philosophy while the Red Sox have embraced it.

Even if Hughes and Kennedy turned out to be great the Yankees would still have been in good shape with Wang and Santana in the rotation.

The Red Sox have not strayed from their philosophy to integrate young players in with their veterans. Have you not noticed that, when they were healthy, two of their five starters were fresh out of the organization? They don't make stupid trades. You do NOT trade a Top 5 prospect in baseball along with two other solid players when no one else is offering close that value. That's how you get screwed. Hughes will be fine. Kennedy, I'm not so sure about. But he needs time. You're a typical Yankee fan. Trying to put everything in perspective after a month.

Its good that the young pitchers have sucked with the rest of the team. Now everyone can give up hope winning this year and actually develop their young talent.

I'm happy with the deal the Mets made for Santana. It was a hell of a lot better than I expected. But if the Yankees got him, do you really think this team would have a better record? Please. They would still suck.

Let the young guys develop. Let Joba start.

The way the Yanks are playing right now it would not have made a difference if Santana was here.

They are not hitting with runners in scoring position and they are doing nothing with two outs.

Exactly. This team would be in the same boat with Johan.

The team is AWFUL offensively and its been a bigger problem than the pitching.

LOL...wasn't Igawa suppossed to fill the Dice K roll? Trust me the Yanks make that Johan trade in a second if given another chance. Johan gets off to lots of slow starts and 3 of the last 4 seasons has been lights out in the 2nd half. You need to look up his career 2nd half stats. His obvious decline as you call it is also better than anything the Yanks have. Not that his current 5-2 with two other leads blown by the pen is anything close to a bust. Save that label for Andy's coming back at 16mill or last seasons Clemens contract.....or Pavano etc, etc.

Yank fans can't use payroll savings as a excuse just because it's convenient at the moment. That trade should have been made and you know it. Kudos to the Twins for at least getting the better CF.

Its good that the young pitchers have sucked with the rest of the team. Now everyone can give up hope winning this year and actually develop their young talent.

I'm happy with the deal the Mets made for Santana. It was a hell of a lot better than I expected. But if the Yankees got him, do you really think this team would have a better record? Please. They would still suck.

Let the young guys develop. Let Joba start.

I don't know how you can say that when the two phenoms BOTH couldn't get out of the 3rd inning the majority of their starts while Johan has given the Mets a shot to win every game he starts. The Yanks will aquire a SP via a salary dump and the bats will hit.

The Yanks were worse this time last season when every game with the 3-4-5 starters was a overhyped bum from their farm. At least this year Rasner has been good and Moose barring last night, much better than expected.

This is the same Yankee team that went something like 56-24 down the stretch last year. Johan would have made them the WS favorite.

But the fact is the Yanks could have got Johan in the end for Melky and Kennedy. You are telling me THAT deal should not have been made? BTW the Twins got the better CF and based on Hughes and Kennedy's performances the jury is out on the SP end.

I don't know how you can say that when the two phenoms BOTH couldn't get out of the 3rd inning the majority of their starts while Johan has given the Mets a shot to win every game he starts. The Yanks will aquire a SP via a salary dump and the bats will hit.

The Yanks were worse this time last season when every game with the 3-4-5 starters was a overhyped bum from their farm. At least this year Rasner has been good and Moose barring last night, much better than expected.

This is the same Yankee team that went something like 56-24 down the stretch last year. Johan would have made them the WS favorite.

whether they would have been world series favorites or not, they still would suck. Santana would not have turned this team into a winner.

But the fact is the Yanks could have got Johan in the end for Melky and Kennedy. You are telling me THAT deal should not have been made? BTW the Twins got the better CF and based on Hughes and Kennedy's performances the jury is out on the SP end.

You can't say they got the better CF when that CF can't even get on base. He has better range defensively but Melky has a better arm. He has more speed but Melky has more gap power and more ability to get on base.

No. That's why they signed him for less than half of what Dice-K got.

That was a bad deal for the Yanks. Igawa blows.

I'm happy with the Sox paying $50 mill to get Dice-K.

Dice-K is 7-0 with a 2.15 ERA this season.

Archived