Still disappointed with the draft.

It's the trade up for an undersized TE that bothers me. I hear what some are saying in the positive; that he could be a great slot receiver/H Back. But one of his weaknesses is that he doesn't fight for the ball in a crowd. That doesn't sound like a good over-the-middle type of guy to me. They have to be tough.

I wish we would have kept our 2nd round pick and taken L.Sweed or maybe Keller would have still been there, if they were determined to take him. Then we would have also had our early 4th round pick to use on an ILB like J. Goff or B. Bell. Or we could have taken Red Bryant, a guy who can play NT and DE in the 3/4, since he's "stout against the run". Or Mike McGlynn, a hard working G/T with high character.

I also would have loved to see us take Xavier Oman in the 6th round. He's a good sized, productive RB from a small school. He's a good inside runner who blocks well. But maybe M. Henry, the guy we did take there, will surprise and perform as well as L. Sweed will. I read somewhere that he is comparable to Greg Jennings (obviously to a lesser degree). But there is promise there.

I felt, after the draft, that we left a lot of talent on the table that was there for the taking.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

first off, they haven't gotten to play yet. Secondly, of all the clippings i've read or heard of Keller, alligator arms are not one of them. He is supposedly very tough over the middle and very good

I don't know where you are getting the "doesn't fight for the ball in a crowd" thing. Since the draft I have seen a bunch of highlights of Keller, who I really didn't know much about. From what I ha

Good to hear, considering none of them have played an NFL down yet. I'm disappointed with what an idiot you are, and at least I'm forming my opinion from your actual body of work. I hate you

It's the trade up for an undersized TE that bothers me. I hear what some are saying in the positive; that he could be a great slot receiver/H Back. But one of his weaknesses is that he doesn't fight for the ball in a crowd. That doesn't sound like a good over-the-middle type of guy to me. They have to be tough.

I wish we would have kept our 2nd round pick and taken L.Sweed or maybe Keller would have still been there, if they were determined to take him. Then we would have also had our early 4th round pick to use on an ILB like J. Goff or B. Bell. Or we could have taken Red Bryant, a guy who can play NT and DE in the 3/4, since he's "stout against the run". Or Mike McGlynn, a hard working G/T with high character.

I also would have loved to see us take Xavier Oman in the 6th round. He's a good sized, productive RB from a small school. He's a good inside runner who blocks well. But maybe M. Henry, the guy we did take there, will surprise and perform as well as L. Sweed will. I read somewhere that he is comparable to Greg Jennings (obviously to a lesser degree). But there is promise there.

I felt, after the draft, that we left a lot of talent on the table that was there for the taking.

first off, they haven't gotten to play yet. Secondly, of all the clippings i've read or heard of Keller, alligator arms are not one of them. He is supposedly very tough over the middle and very good at going up to get balls...If you want to knock his blocking, well, get in line, otherwise i guess we can wait and see how he does.

I'd have liked to keep that forth round pick, but was saying the same thing last year when they took harris...which i thought was the worlds stupidist move...and then he played.

Wait and see...can you imagine if this FO stays hot in their draft picks, and Keller is as talented as Harris or Revis? I think we'd be ok.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Drago completely. Keller is very talented physically and should be a nightmare for defenses to match up against. His abilities make him very versatile and I think we'll use him in loads of different ways.

Give him a chance before you get disappointed.

I don't know where you are getting the "doesn't fight for the ball in a crowd" thing. Since the draft I have seen a bunch of highlights of Keller, who I really didn't know much about. From what I have seen, fighting for the ball in a crowd is one of his strong points.

If there is a complaint about him, it is his blocking skills. He, and his coach have said, he wasn't required to block in their system. When Baker came in, in spite of his size, he was a horrible blocking TE. he has since learned to at least be adequate.

His size 6' 2" 248 is undersized fro a TE, but he isn't going to be a traditional TE. He is going to be a H-back/WR. he has plenty of size.

Odds are very high that he would not have been there at 36. If the Jets FO is convinced that this kid can bring the same thing into the NFL he did in college, if was a great selection

Can't predict the future, but from what I have seen on video this kid is going to be very difficult for DC's to deal with, and cause some serious match up problems.

What's not to like? Gholston was clearly the best selection at 6. if he hits his potential the Jets got a great pass rusher.

Lowery has great upside, and might be a very good CB.

Not so hot on Ainge, but I read he played all last season with a broken finger. We shall see on him.

The other two kids are projects, that if they hit will be very valuable.

• Upvote 1

Think we need to look at the positives this guy brings to the team and go from there. It's true, opposing defenders will have a hard time with this guy and a hard time catching up to him. If the ball is placed right there in his hands then leave the rest to him. He is afterall just one more option to what I think is a vastly improved offense.

Yeah, I know we have to wait and see how they play. And I know the team puts a lot more work into their draft research than I can imagine. But they still could make a mistake.

Keller's going to be a fine player, I'm sure. But I just think the combination of Sweed and Goff would have been better for the team than Keller and Ainge.

The "doesn't fight for balls in a crowd" thing came from NFL.com (www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/dustin-keller?id=1074). See the paragraph entitled 'Compares to:'

I am more worried about Gholston than Keller.

Nowhere else to go at six, but Vernon frightens me.

Agreed, the guy really defines the term boom or bust.

If he works out he really could be a Shawn Merriman or DeMarcus Ware type player who will have an immediate impact.

If he doesn't then he could be Bryan Thomas part II.

I think we got two BIG TIME playmakers with Keller and Vernon.

I hope you're right!

But honestly, did anybody here think, before the draft, that the Jets were targeting (or should have been targeting) Keller. The pick took me by surprise, for sure.

I think we got two BIG TIME playmakers with Keller and Vernon.

I think that too but there still is a huge bust potential with Vernon which I was always pretty skeptical about. His physical ability is off the charts but his inconsistentcy in college does concern me, hopefully he can perform to his full potential for us. If he does that, then we have a very special player.

I think Keller will be solid regardless, he's too talented not to be useful in some way and whether it's TE, H-Back or WR I'm pretty sure we'll find some place for him to be productive. He should cause some very favovurable matchups for our offense which will really help out our QB, whoever the hell that may be.

Little Harsh?

I dont think so... I think it was spot on.

In fact, I think SayNoToDMC is getting my vote for best newcomer next year....

Im sick of these threads... Yeah, lets hate a draft even though we know nothing about scouting, running a team, how the interviews with the players went, the needs of the franchise and not having even played a single down....

ugh. July cant get here soon enough.

you're beating a dead horse here. i agree with you, but what's done is done.

I honestly don't understand how you can possibly be disappointed with a draft if the players haven't even played yet. I'd give them at least two years before looking back at the draft. Talking about how bad it was now just doesn't make any sense.

I honestly don't understand how you can possibly be disappointed with a draft if the players haven't even played yet. I'd give them at least two years before looking back at the draft. Talking about how bad it was now just doesn't make any sense.

well, he's a draft expert and knows the ins and outs of an NFL team. He scouted each and every player and knows exactly who is the best fit for our organization.

Its time we face the facts, our FO doesnt know sh!t about drafting. Next year they should hold internet voting to see who the fans want them to draft. Its obvious our fans know better.

well, he's a draft expert and knows the ins and outs of an NFL team. He scouted each and every player and knows exactly who is the best fit for our organization.

Its time we face the facts, our FO doesnt know sh!t about drafting. Next year they should hold internet voting to see who the fans want them to draft. Its obvious our fans know better.

I meant in general, don't be disappointed by what you've never seen, if that makes sense. Just let it play itself out, ya know?

As for our FO, you're right. I don't know. Maybe they'll learn from their mistakes. That's wishful thinking, I know. The FO before us wasn't too good with the drafting either, so I'm just waiting for one really good one to get us rolling.

I dont think so... I think it was spot on.

In fact, I think SayNoToDMC is getting my vote for best newcomer next year....

Im sick of these threads... Yeah, lets hate a draft even though we know nothing about scouting, running a team, how the interviews with the players went, the needs of the franchise and not having even played a single down....

ugh. July cant get here soon enough.

Yeah we could always use a few more Chad Vs. Kellen threads, and some more spy gate ones too. ;)
at least those had reasons to be discussed this week. Rehashing the draft is a waste of time.
I agree it is, I think they had a pretty good draft, and Keller may end up being the bright spot, but only time will tell. Everything at this point is pure speculation.

Just be patient. The deals are done and by this time next year will have a better handle on how they turned out.

First off, This isnt YOUR draft, it was the Jets Draft. You could have whomever you wanted but the Jets were confident in Keller. Much of what you said doesnt make sense only because you were saying them to make the understanding clear that you would have preferred other players on this team then a person that was completely unexpected to 99% of the Jet fans in the world when the picked Dustin, and moved up for him at that.

I will address a few things.

#1. His size: How is he "undersized"? He's 6'3 and ways 242lbs. There wasnt a Prospect sheet out that had a TE better than Keller. He's an inch shorter than Antonio Gates, The same height as Vernon Davis, and Inch Shorter than Kellen Winslow and 2 inches shorter than Shockey and Tony Gonzalez. In other words, he has the height. And mind you, he's an inch taller than and weighs 14lbs more than arguably the best TE of all time Shannon Sharpe.

#2. He doesnt fight for the ball in a crowd: You must have been missing what people have been saying about this dude and the youtube videos as well. This kid catches everything, and he holds on to the ball when he takes a mean hit from a defender. The "experts" have been doing nothing BUT praising him for his offensive ability, its just his blocking that's in question, which you can teach him to block. That will come in time. What would you rather have, Anthony Becht, one of the more solid blocking TE's but has Alligator arms and wouldnt cross the middle to save his mothers life??? Keller has shown in college that he's willing to catch the ball and take the hit for a first down so where the hell do you get off talking about toughness?

#3. I get the strange feeling that you're only talking about this pick because you want to be "trendy", you know, "sound" like you know what you're talking about when you just sound like a retard to people who are actually paying attention. You and everyone else knows (because everyone's been talking about it) that the Jets havent had much luck in the draft when taking TE's. But here's the difference, The Jets in the past took TE's when they were supposed to take the best player available or a player that they needed. This isnt the case this year. They took the best player available in Gholston this year, THEN took Keller which also took care of a possession/deep threat/slot problem that the Jets have had. In otherwords it was a great pick on paper when you look at what we needed. You see, us jet fans only looked towards the WR position to fix our downfield problems.

And as we've all seen this year, there werent any WR's worth taking in the first round. You talk about Sweed but when is he ever going to give match up problems to a defense? keller is only an inch shorter than Sweed but keller is stronger, bigger and can do pretty much everything that sweed can do but better, as well as give match up problems which sweed cant do as a regular sized WR. Sweed cant take hits from linebackers, Keller can. Not only that but Keller could outrun the LB's in coverage, catch the ball up top and break tackles from CB's and Safeties because of his strength. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HE DID IN COLLEGE. Tell me, can Sweed do that?...no. Keller is an offensive threat, period.

#3. There's nothing in this draft to be disappointed about, matter of fact, there's nothing about this offseason that you should be dissapointed about. The Jets did this offseason what Jet fans 20-30 years have been waiting for them to do. Spend money and get the players that they needed. They did exactly that. When you do sh_t like that, it tends to work out for you. You know why Gholston, Keller and the rest of these guys arent going to be a bust???? because when you put players around them that will allow them to simply do their job, It tends to happen.

Look A D'Brick. People call him a f-ing bust, yet this dude could never just be a Left Guard. Now that he has Faneca there he can simply do his job. With confidence comes chemistry comes success comes championships. You can quote that, its the truth. The Patriots built a team with a bunch of nobodies, 7 years after their first SB win these guys are one of the most feared group of guys to possibly ever put on a uniform. The Pats are doing this with late round picks (4th and 6th round picks for example) one very important 1st round pick in Richard Seymour and the rest are like supporting cast that go out there and do their damn job.

Thats why im saying with Kellen Clemens, If he's just able to go out on the field and worry about being a QB and not have to think about "is there somone being let through on my blind side" or "will this pocket collapse on me" I'll bet you a championship that we'll be in the superbowl with this exact team. That goes with every person on the field, if they do their job and not worry about anyone else this team can win 12 games this year, have a rookie of the year in Dwight Lowery and go to the SB and possibly win it.

P.S. Yeah, I said D. Lowery for rookie of the year. Check out this dudes stats. He's got the virus (he's sick) and he doesnt utilize speed to make plays, his instincts are serious. When you have a CB that doesnt need to rely on speed to recover from mistakes because his instincts keep him from making mistakes then that only means that with experience he's a going to Lock down one half of the field. Oh, and not to mention that he catches the ball like a WR, over the shoulder and all in live games! 13 picks in 25 games!!!!! and picked up in the 4th round.

You see, you're so concerned about Keller and wanting to sound "smart" that you're not even paying attention to the talent that we've picked up this year in the draft and in free agency.

You're probably one of the other people talking sh_t about Damien Woody yet dont realize that he can play every o-line position effectively...thats a proven fact buddy. And in a game where injuries is an obvious concern, having a versatile player like that is worth the money 5 fold (given five offensive line positions) that we spent to get him here.

Pay Attention and stop talking. The Jets finally got a Front Office making good moves and you're missing the obvious signs by running your damn mouth.

• Upvote 1
First off, This isnt YOUR draft, it was the Jets Draft. You could have whomever you wanted but the Jets were confident in Keller. Much of what you said doesnt make sense only because you were saying them to make the understanding clear that you would have preferred other players on this team then a person that was completely unexpected to 99% of the Jet fans in the world when the picked Dustin, and moved up for him at that.

#1. His size: How is he "undersized"? He's 6'3 and ways 242lbs. There wasnt a Prospect sheet out that had a TE better than Keller. He's an inch shorter than Antonio Gates, The same height as Vernon Davis, and Inch Shorter than Kellen Winslow and 2 inches shorter than Shockey and Tony Gonzalez. In other words, he has the height. And mind you, he's an inch taller than and weighs 14lbs more than arguably the best TE of all time Shannon Sharpe.

#2. He doesnt fight for the ball in a crowd: You must have been missing what people have been saying about this dude and the youtube videos as well. This kid catches everything, and he holds on to the ball when he takes a mean hit from a defender. The "experts" have been doing nothing BUT praising him for his offensive ability, its just his blocking that's in question, which you can teach him to block. That will come in time. What would you rather have, Anthony Becht, one of the more solid blocking TE's but has Alligator arms and wouldnt cross the middle to save his mothers life??? Keller has shown in college that he's willing to catch the ball and take the hit for a first down so where the hell do you get off talking about toughness?

#3. I get the strange feeling that you're only talking about this pick because you want to be "trendy", you know, "sound" like you know what you're talking about when you just sound like a retard to people who are actually paying attention. You and everyone else knows (because everyone's been talking about it) that the Jets havent had much luck in the draft when taking TE's. But here's the difference, The Jets in the past took TE's when they were supposed to take the best player available or a player that they needed. This isnt the case this year. They took the best player available in Gholston this year, THEN took Keller which also took care of a possession/deep threat/slot problem that the Jets have had. In otherwords it was a great pick on paper when you look at what we needed. You see, us jet fans only looked towards the WR position to fix our downfield problems.

And as we've all seen this year, there werent any WR's worth taking in the first round. You talk about Sweed but when is he ever going to give match up problems to a defense? keller is only an inch shorter than Sweed but keller is stronger, bigger and can do pretty much everything that sweed can do but better, as well as give match up problems which sweed cant do as a regular sized WR. Sweed cant take hits from linebackers, Keller can. Not only that but Keller could outrun the LB's in coverage, catch the ball up top and break tackles from CB's and Safeties because of his strength. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HE DID IN COLLEGE. Tell me, can Sweed do that?...no. Keller is an offensive threat, period.

#3. There's nothing in this draft to be disappointed about, matter of fact, there's nothing about this offseason that you should be dissapointed about. The Jets did this offseason what Jet fans 20-30 years have been waiting for them to do. Spend money and get the players that they needed. They did exactly that. When you do sh_t like that, it tends to work out for you. You know why Gholston, Keller and the rest of these guys arent going to be a bust???? because when you put players around them that will allow them to simply do their job, It tends to happen.

Look A D'Brick. People call him a f-ing bust, yet this dude could never just be a Left Guard. Now that he has Faneca there he can simply do his job. With confidence comes chemistry comes success comes championships. You can quote that, its the truth. The Patriots built a team with a bunch of nobodies, 7 years after their first SB win these guys are one of the most feared group of guys to possibly ever put on a uniform. The Pats are doing this with late round picks (4th and 6th round picks for example) one very important 1st round pick in Richard Seymour and the rest are like supporting cast that go out there and do their damn job.

Thats why im saying with Kellen Clemens, If he's just able to go out on the field and worry about being a QB and not have to think about "is there somone being let through on my blind side" or "will this pocket collapse on me" I'll bet you a championship that we'll be in the superbowl with this exact team. That goes with every person on the field, if they do their job and not worry about anyone else this team can win 12 games this year, have a rookie of the year in Dwight Lowery and go to the SB and possibly win it.

P.S. Yeah, I said D. Lowery for rookie of the year. Check out this dudes stats. He's got the virus (he's sick) and he doesnt utilize speed to make plays, his instincts are serious. When you have a CB that doesnt need to rely on speed to recover from mistakes because his instincts keep him from making mistakes then that only means that with experience he's a going to Lock down one half of the field. Oh, and not to mention that he catches the ball like a WR, over the shoulder and all in live games! 13 picks in 25 games!!!!! and picked up in the 4th round.

You see, you're so concerned about Keller and wanting to sound "smart" that you're not even paying attention to the talent that we've picked up this year in the draft and in free agency.

You're probably one of the other people talking sh_t about Damien Woody yet dont realize that he can play every o-line position effectively...thats a proven fact buddy. And in a game where injuries is an obvious concern, having a versatile player like that is worth the money 5 fold (given five offensive line positions) that we spent to get him here.

Pay Attention and stop talking. The Jets finally got a Front Office making good moves and you're missing the obvious signs by running your damn mouth.

You make some decent points, but Keller is 6'2" and Damien Woody got benched by the Lions last year. The Lions. The team that is perennially at the top of the sacks allowed category. Woody may be an effective RT, but he has not proven to be so effective at G.

With Gholston it just feels like one of those "fate" picks. He landed in your lap and you had to take him.

With Keller, I don't know. When I heard the name called I admit I had no idea who he was. There was a fan with a sign that read "Jets draft blunders end here", and I thought, maybe he has to rip that up now.

I've since seen the clips of him and been impressed, but you still have to wonder why the hell they thought it necessary to drop a pick in order to trade up to pick a receiving TE, who isn't even the consensus best TE, especially when every single TE and WR is still on the board and their pick is only a few spots away. Bizarre.

Such vitriol! You make good points about how well the FO has done this off season. I do like the Woody pick up, by the way.

I've been a Jets fan since Joe Willy Namath signed for $400,000. Along the way I've seen plenty of reasons to question the draft picks of the Jets and every NFL team. You speak like they can't be questioned. I know they are more likely to be right than I am, but is it so wrong to have a different opinion? Don't get all angry and bitter because someone disagrees with you. This is jetnation, not jet****.

edit: those astericks are for the word **** as in Hitler's credo. (I didn't know that was a banned word)

I agree with most of your points and have made it clear that I like the Keller pick but your saying the guy catches everything based on youtube videos??

Those are highlight reels which will only contain his best moments. The only way you could know that he 'catches everything' is if you consistently watched him in college. Not saying that you did not but I'm just pointing out that if you're basing that information on youtube videos, then it's pretty useless.

You make some decent points, but Keller is 6'2" and Damien Woody got benched by the Lions last year. The Lions. The team that is perennially at the top of the sacks allowed category. Woody may be an effective RT, but he has not proven to be so effective at G.

Dustin Keller is 6'3 and The NFL (the company that employes him) says so.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/dustin-keller?id=1074

Also, as for Damien Woody, I will kindly disagree with you. Just because he got benched by the Lions which had a disorganized line anyway, Quoting you "The team that is "perennially" at the top of the sacks allowed category", only tells me that it wasnt solely his doing if the Lions are perennially at the top of that list...I think it would be fair to say that given the definition of the word. Im not saying that he's in the top 5 guards in the league when playing that position, but he played with The Patriots for a number of years, winning a superbowl playing that position as well as playing for the lions for a number of years before getting benched last year at that position, then was switched and once again excelled.

We must also remember that his natural position is actually Center. Thats the position listed by the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/players/damienwoody/profile?id=WOO708514

He's played for years, showing effectiveness at the guard position, he's also showed versatility as being the only active player in the NFL to have started at one time or another in his career every offensive line position in the NFL.

He may not be the RG version of Alan Faneca but he's proven himself to be a jack of all trades which is something that we also dont have at the o-line positions. which is something that if you have is very valuable do to potential injury. And going into his 10th season he's only missed 16 games, which 11 of those missed games were in one year. In other words, he's always on the field. there's a reason for that Dominator.

With Gholston it just feels like one of those "fate" picks. He landed in your lap and you had to take him.

With Keller, I don't know. When I heard the name called I admit I had no idea who he was. There was a fan with a sign that read "Jets draft blunders end here", and I thought, maybe he has to rip that up now.

I've since seen the clips of him and been impressed, but you still have to wonder why the hell they thought it necessary to drop a pick in order to trade up to pick a receiving TE, who isn't even the consensus best TE, especially when every single TE and WR is still on the board and their pick is only a few spots away. Bizarre.

I hear what you're saying, however everything being said "even my words" are just speculation and opinion. now understanding that i have to say that every major prospect sheet had Dustin Keller as the Best TE available and one of the best receiver's in the draft period. 2 things can happen with a talent like that. Either they are drafted in the first round or they go to a small school and end up being undrafted free agents like Antonio Gates. Im not saying that this kid cant bust....because anyone could, but given his history in college he has credibility as being a very serious match-up problem, having excellent hands, and having poor blocking skills. Also, with the possibility of the Giants picking up Dustin Keller, which would have made letting Jeremy shockey go much easier, the Jets had to move up to take this kid.

With his stats and his upside, It was worth it. What I ask you is explain to me your opinions on why it wasnt worth it. Maybe you can enlighten me.

Such vitriol! You make good points about how well the FO has done this off season. I do like the Woody pick up, by the way.

I've been a Jets fan since Joe Willy Namath signed for $400,000. Along the way I've seen plenty of reasons to question the draft picks of the Jets and every NFL team. You speak like they can't be questioned. I know they are more likely to be right than I am, but is it so wrong to have a different opinion? Don't get all angry and bitter because someone disagrees with you. This is jetnation, not jet****.

edit: those astericks are for the word **** as in Hitler's credo. (I didn't know that was a banned word)

You know what, you're right. I read it over and I can see where I could come off as an azz. I guess its my personality, I feel strongly when I speak, and I feel even stronger when i feel that someone states something just to be part of a conversation or just to start a thread. I'll try to work on that and not to be so offensive.

Villain.

(I wanna say something so f-ing rude right now...lmao).