Mike Piazza Retires

jetsrule128

well if he makes the HOF its obvious he is goin in as a Met by this statement:

"Last but certainly not least, I can't say goodbye without thanking the fans," Piazza said. "I can't recall a time in my career where I didn't feel embraced by all of you. Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland and Miami -- whether it was at home or on the road, you were all so supportive over the years.

"But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world," he said. "One of the hardest moments of my career was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful."

I would have liked to have seen the Yankees take a chance on him.Molina is terrible and after Posada came back Piazza could have been an adequate DH.I thought he had something left in his tank.I guess not.Good luck a future hall of fame catcher.

Fisk is the best hitting cathcer ever.

Not even close.

Fisk, career: .269/.341/.457, 376 HR

Piazza, career: .308/.377/.545, 427 HR

Piazza had NINE seasons with 30 or more homers. Fisk had TWO. I put no stock into RBIs, but if that's your bag, Mike had six seasons with 100+, while Fisk had two. Fisk hit above .300 in three seasons. Piazza hit .300+ in nine.

Not even remotely close.

Not even close.

Fisk, career: .269/.341/.457, 376 HR

Piazza, career: .308/.377/.545, 427 HR

Piazza had NINE seasons with 30 or more homers. Fisk had TWO. I put no stock into RBIs, but if that's your bag, Mike had six seasons with 100+, while Fisk had two. Fisk hit above .300 in three seasons. Piazza hit .300+ in nine.

Not even remotely close.

Mike P had the benefit of steroids though. So it isn't a fair comparison.

Thank You Mike. You were a classy ballplayer in a generation where that was rare.

You brought a ton of joy to this Mets fan, even if I thought your mechanics behind the plate sucked and drove in too many runs when it didnt matter.

You still were a hell of a ballplayer and I should have appreciated you more when you were at your prime with the Mets. And thank you for the kind words you said today.

Good luck and enjoy retirement.

Thank You Mike. You were a classy ballplayer in a generation where that was rare.

You brought a ton of joy to this Mets fan, even if I thought your mechanics behind the plate sucked and drove in too many runs when it didnt matter.

You still were a hell of a ballplayer and I should have appreciated you more when you were at your prime with the Mets. And thank you for the kind words you said today.

Good luck and enjoy retirement.

I kid about the Sam Champion thing -- but I do agree Piazza was all class. I always liked him as a player.

I kid about the Sam Champion thing -- but I do agree Piazza was all class. I always liked him as a player.

I always thought he was gay... surprised he is married with a kid. just as surprised with Arod. Thought both were a little light in the loafers. But they sure can play baseball.

I always thought he was gay... surprised he is married with a kid. just as surprised with Arod. Thought both were a little light in the loafers. But they sure can play baseball.

Coverups are great things arn't they? Money can buy a lot of things.

Best hitting catcher Ever. Had some great moments in NY.

Wrong.

The best hitting catcher ever was Josh Gibson. He hit 800 home runs.

But then again Gibson didn't routinely get his balls washed by Mets fans and the New York media like Mike "I can't play defense for sh*t" Piazza.

Eat my ass, I am not Jealous. Posada is a much better defensive catcher, Piazza is a huge douche with a semen syrup goatee

you first.

Posada couldn't touch Piazza. Posada took ages to even learn how to block the plate.

Sure, Piazza couldn't throw out runners, but he was good at handling pitchers and the finer nuances.

And he was 10 times the hitter Posada was.

you first.

Posada couldn't touch Piazza. Posada took ages to even learn how to block the plate.

Sure, Piazza couldn't throw out runners, but he was good at handling pitchers and the finer nuances.

And he was 10 times the hitter Posada was.

Piazza wasn't even that much better than pudge or posada. So the guy had a little bot of power. WOW!

I'm sure posada is much happier with his 4 WS rings than piazza is with his 400something homeruns.

Piazza wasn't even that much better than pudge or posada. So the guy had a little bot of power. WOW!

I'm sure posada is much happier with his 4 WS rings than piazza is with his 400something homeruns.

That's a really stupid comment. Posada played on better teams. Piazza was the superior player.

Hey, I bet Robert Horry is much happier with his seven NBA championships than Charles Barkley is with his 23,700+ points.

Guy retires and all yankee fans can do is make gay jokes?

Pathetic. Nice to see the pride of the yankees doesnt extend to their fans.

Exactly. It's really pathetic. One of the greatest catchers of all time retired and this is their reaction. Stay classy, Yankee fans.

Archived