Jason Varitek

Gainzo

I'll put Posada against him any day. That's not saying Varitek is not good. He is, much as I hate him.

Posada is clearly better on offense. No argument with that. I feel Varitek is better as a catcher.

Cashman was asked which Red Sox player he wished wasn't on the team. He said Varitek.

I hate the guy, but when is all and said and done, you'll remember Varitek and Fisk as the best Sawx catchers ever

Posada had really worked on his defense....I like him alot, but defensively Tek is better, and Posada has the better stick

Posada will be up there with the Yankee greats...but Munson was just the best

Tek is immense. When I go see the Sox play anytime I like to go see both starters warmup in the bully. For the Sox it is not just to see how the Boston pitcher looks, it is to see Varitek. You watch this guy and he reeks professionalism in everything he does. He wants to win so bad. He rocks back and forth during the national anthem as you can tell he is itching to get back to the job at hand.

I have no respect for him for going after ARod with his freakin' mask on.. what could ARod possibly do to his already screwed up looking face?

Other than that, he's a great player and knows how to call a ball game. That being said, I think its 95% pitcher. A pitcher can always blow off the catchers request unless he's young and the manager forces him to listen to the veteran behind the plate.

Catchers don't have much to do with a pitcher's success.

I have read alot of comments on many different forums today and that by far is the stupidest thing I read today. How the hell does a catcher not have an effect on a pitchers success?

I hate Varitek and I would take him on a team if I started one today.

I have no respect for him for going after ARod with his freakin' mask on.. what could ARod possibly do to his already screwed up looking face?

Right. He could be the greatest catcher, ever (he's not) and he would still always be Vaginatek because of that.

I think you just lost your right to post on the baseball forum. Roflz

ZOMG ROFLZ 2!!!!!!

Thank you for telling me my right not to have an opinion. I'm not going to bother arguing with you guys about this because you'll call me a homer and bash me and it'll just be a huge waste of time. So, yes, a catcher has everything to do with a pitcher's success. You guys seriously have to be kidding me. This guy has had some of the best pitchers ever to grace a major league mound, you really think he made them better?

Gainzo this is from a SOX fan on the SOSH forums.

IMO Varitek's game calling is the single most overrated phenomenon in baseball. I know the guy is well preparted every game and I'm sure he has a plan. I just don't see that that plan always leads to results. In the end it is about the pitcher making the pitch.

^^What I'm trying to say.

I have a friend who was a reliever with the Sox, and I asked him how much a catcher can affect a pitchers game.

He told me that the catcher is very important. Not only in pitch selection, but mostly in confidence. Any of you who have played a sport knows how important confidence can be.

Did you lose any respect when Posada did the same exact thing against the D-Rays a couple of years before that?

ZOMG ROFLZ 2!!!!!!

Thank you for telling me my right not to have an opinion. I'm not going to bother arguing with you guys about this because you'll call me a homer and bash me and it'll just be a huge waste of time. So, yes, a catcher has everything to do with a pitcher's success. You guys seriously have to be kidding me. This guy has had some of the best pitchers ever to grace a major league mound, you really think he made them better?

I have no problems with anyone expressing their opinion in an open forum. But when opinions are really baseless, it gets ridiculed. I think its pretty much proven, that catchers have a great deal to do with a pitcher's success. This is not to say that talent is not the most important factor. It obviously is. I just look at this way, that certain star pitchers will not pitch to certain catchers. I remember, Randy Johnson refused to pitch to Posada, and I think Posada's great and I love to have him on the Mets. Johnson much preferred to pitch to a scrub catcher who calls a good game. I think Clemens did the same thing. I remember, Greg Maddux refusing to pitch to Javy Lopez. There has to be a reason to this. The obvious thing is certain catchers have a pitcher's confidence that they can call a great game, and they're in good hands.

Gainzo this is from a SOX fan on the SOSH forums.

^^What I'm trying to say.

Congrats on finding a post by a clueless Sox fan to back up your argument.

I tend to believe what players, GM's and others involved in baseball have said about the importance of having a good catcher.

I have no problems with anyone expressing their opinion in an open forum. But when opinions are really baseless, it gets ridiculed. I think its pretty much proven, that catchers have a great deal to do with a pitcher's success. This is not to say that talent is not the most important factor. It obviously is. I just look at this way, that certain star pitchers will not pitch to certain catchers. I remember, Randy Johnson refused to pitch to Posada, and I think Posada's great and I love to have him on the Mets. Johnson much preferred to pitch to a scrub catcher who calls a good game. I think Clemens did the same thing. I remember, Greg Maddux refusing to pitch to Javy Lopez. There has to be a reason to this. The obvious thing is certain catchers have a pitcher's confidence that they can call a great game, and they're in good hands.

You're wrong. It's not proven at all. Yeah, Randy Johnson refused to pitch to Posada. How'd that work out? He still bombed more than half the time he pitched for Christ's sake, and the Yankees got screwed because they had to make their star more "comfortable" and lose a hell of a lot of offense in the process. How can you really sit there and tell me that Varitek has made Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, and others like them better when he obviously hasn't as the stats suggest?

Oh and by the way, don't trust everything out of players' mouths. Players and managers also believe grit and hustle wins games.

You're wrong. It's not proven at all. Yeah, Randy Johnson refused to pitch to Posada. How'd that work out? He still bombed more than half the time he pitched for Christ's sake, and the Yankees got screwed because they had to make their star more "comfortable" and lose a hell of a lot of offense in the process. How can you really sit there and tell me that Varitek has made Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, and others like them better when he obviously hasn't as the stats suggest?

Oh and by the way, don't trust everything out of players' mouths. Players and managers also believe grit and hustle wins games.

Here is quote from Curt Schillings blog. He seems to hold Varitek in high esteem.

About a year ago Dustin Pedroia, soon to be rookie of the year, saves Clay Bucholz’s no-hitter with an incredible play. Yesterday Jacoby does the same for Jon Lester. That group of 4 players is like the Mount Rushmore of why the Red Sox have put themselves in a position to win, a lot, over the next decade. All of that done with the “rock” behind the plate that is Jason Varitek.

It’s no coincidence that he’s now caught a record 4 no-hitters, trust me. I would BET, BIG MONEY, that I’d have been the 4th if I hadn’t shaken him off…..

http://38pitches.com/

If you don't know Schilling had a no hitter going in Oakland last year with 2 outs in the 9th.

Explain to me why some pitchers refuse to pitch to some catchers?

you just hit the nail on the head buddy!! im pretty sure veritek isnt calling the whole game by hisself but i garentee its more than half.. a good catcher knows hitters and how to pitch to them and, no the catcher isnt throwing the pitch but he is still sitting there every pitch making sure there pitcher gets that close strike call.. and posada and tek do that very well

you just hit the nail on the head buddy!! im pretty sure veritek isnt calling the whole game by hisself but i garentee its more than half.. a good catcher knows hitters and how to pitch to them and, no the catcher isnt throwing the pitch but he is still sitting there every pitch making sure there pitcher gets that close strike call.. and posada and tek do that very well

DaBrick Wall is fighting a losing battle on this subject.

Explain to me why some players wear thongs to break out of a slump. It's called superstition. One good game and feeling "comfortable" doesn't mean it always works.

Explain to me why Randy Johnson blew even when he was pitching to John Flaherty.

Explain to me why some players wear thongs to break out of a slump. It's called superstition. One good game and feeling "comfortable" doesn't mean it always works.

Explain to me why Randy Johnson blew even when he was pitching to John Flaherty.

If you believe, comfort and confidence has nothing to do with success, than you are correct. I have no idea why the Yankees wear Giambi's gold thong. That's topic for another day. Maybe the gaybashers on this forum can have a field day with that.

If you believe, comfort and confidence has nothing to do with success, than you are correct. I have no idea why the Yankees wear Giambi's gold thong. That's topic for another day. Maybe the gaybashers on this forum can have a field day with that.

The point is--and this is probably the last thing I'm going to say on this topic, at least for today; it's cutting into my work--that I never said that catchers have NOTHING to do with a pitchers' success. Obviously Greg Maddux has had a great career with a personal catcher, but Randy Johnson has had his ups and downs with them. But a catcher simply can't have much to do with a pitcher's success. IN the end, it comes down to the pitcher's talent and his ability to put the pitch where he wants it and the speed at which he wants it.

Then how about this comment from Matt Clement a few years ago.

http://www.jason-varitek.com/articles/2005/skyhightek.html

Obviously you are not going to budge on your opinion that catchers have no impact on the game. Just thought I would give you some examples from pitchers.

I never said they have no impact on the game. I think it's minimal to a pitcher's success. There are other ways they have a defensive impact, for sure. Framing pitches, throwing out runners, and even having good enough arms to make runners think twice about running on them, blocking the plate, etc. If we're going to put a percent on it though, I'd say a catcher has no more than 10% to do with a pitcher's success in a game.

Archived