Jason Varitek

Gainzo

I never said they have no impact on the game. I think it's minimal to a pitcher's success. There are other ways they have a defensive impact, for sure. Framing pitches, throwing out runners, and even having good enough arms to make runners think twice about running on them, blocking the plate, etc. If we're going to put a percent on it though, I'd say a catcher has no more than 10% to do with a pitcher's success in a game.

I'm going to agree to disagree with you on the importance of catchers and especially Varitek's contribution to the Red Sox. Truce?

Explain to me why Randy Johnson blew even when he was pitching to John Flaherty.

Because, like most of the Yankees in those years, he was 137 years old.

Mike, I like how you completely ignore evidence (my friend who actually pitched in the league).

Ever have to wonder why Greg Maddux, when he was in Atlanta, would never , never let Javy Lopez catch any of his games, when he was the premiere offensive catcher?

That point is completely contradicted by my article saying that the Braves let pitchers call their own games. Maddux's situation is probably more one of comfort/superstition.

Archived