Favorite neighborhood Games

Ranger

Besides all of the sports, on game I enjoyed as a kid was playing "German Spot Light"....same thing as kick the can really....at night one person was picked to be the spotlight. The area range was two rows of 4 houses. Object was to make it to the back porch of the end house (where the spotlighter roamed) without being spotlighted and named. Loser becomes the spotlighter.

Any others have games they enjoyed as kids?

We used to play the spotlight game too. It was alot of fun. Probably our favorite was "war". We had a small creek behind our house with a bunch of trees. We'd get decked out in our camo, grab our toy guns and spend hours down there. We even dug foxholes and built forts. Good times.

Growing up in Brooklyn with sidewalks and streets as your play zone we had some cool games, most of which involved a blue raquetball ball:

Stoop ball and Off the wall (both use baseball scoring with singles, doubles etc and involve bouncing the ball off of a stoop or wall)

slap or punch ball - four corners of an intersection were the base pads, sometimes this was taken to the schoolyard for obvious reasons.

Chinese handball - we called it something else but this is the better (PC) way to refer to it.

Box ball - like tennis but using two boxes outlined in the sidewalk as the court.

Who could forget booties?

One of the toughest had to be strikebox because I always sucked at hitting. Just a pitcher and a batter up against a wall with a strikebox painted on the wall.

I can't forget the basketball games like taps and 21, great games.

This is what poor kids in Brooklyn played until they could force their way onto a peewee football team. ;)

Smear the Queer- It's a good thing I didn't grow up near Max. He would have been in trouble.

Run the Bases- I'm sure you guys called it 'Pickle'.

What I really miss is my old Green Machine.

greenmachine.jpg

Growing up in Brooklyn with sidewalks and streets as your play zone we had some cool games, most of which involved a blue raquetball ball:

Stoop ball and Off the wall (both use baseball scoring with singles, doubles etc and involve bouncing the ball off of a stoop or wall)

slap or punch ball - four corners of an intersection were the base pads, sometimes this was taken to the schoolyard for obvious reasons.

Chinese handball - we called it something else but this is the better (PC) way to refer to it.

Box ball - like tennis but using two boxes outlined in the sidewalk as the court.

One of the toughest had to be strikebox because I always sucked at hitting. Just a pitcher and a batter up against a wall with a strikebox painted on the wall.

This is what poor kids in Brooklyn played until they could force their way onto a peewee football team. ;)

I was thinking I was the only one that knew about these games....also manhunt and "skully" was big when I lived in Brooklyn as a child. Wow, really brings me back. We were 'poor' but we found stuff to keep us busy.

I was thinking I was the only one that knew about these games....also manhunt and "skully" was big when I lived in Brooklyn as a child. Wow, really brings me back. We were 'poor' but we found stuff to keep us busy.

we played wall ball and slam... wall ball caused alot of fight tho due to kids throwin a lil blue ball 55mph into someones face...

i broke my glasses playin that game in 6th grade moms was pisssed

Blue ball?!?! You guys are young. You were supposed to use a "Spaldeen". Also, manhunt was coco ringalevio (sp?). Football was sewer to sewer and slap ball and whiffle ball were across the street-1st, 3rd home, but hitting the ball too far (onto the porch or roof) was an automatic out so that you didn't have to keep getting new balls.

Johnny Rides a Pony was a big one in high school. This is where one team makes a chain and the other team jumps on their back, one at a time until the chain collapses. The injuries were unbelievable, one guy swallowed his tongue and another guy dislocated his hip. Good times.

I think that was the game where you melted crayons into an old bottle cap and flicked the, now weighted, bottle cap across a board on the sidewalk. That was good stuff, very creative game.

Blue ball?!?! You guys are young. You were supposed to use a "Spaldeen". Also, manhunt was coco ringalevio (sp?). Football was sewer to sewer and slap ball and whiffle ball were across the street-1st, 3rd home, but hitting the ball too far (onto the porch or roof) was an automatic out so that you didn't have to keep getting new balls.

Spaldeen was the smaller/harder black ball? That's insane, only the older kids used those. ;) Edit: I just looked up Spaldeen and one website says that it is the pink rubber ball and not the hard black one. We used those, I remember the streets would be littered with one half of those pink rubber balls. (http://www.spaldeen.com/stoopball.html)

Sewer to sewer football is correct, but if the ball hit an overhanging tree it was a do-over. Favorite route was a down and out between parked cars, virtually unstoppable!

Johnny Rides a Pony was a big one in high school. This is where one team makes a chain and the other team jumps on their back, one at a time until the chain collapses. The injuries were unbelievable, one guy swallowed his tongue and another guy dislocated his hip. Good times.

Probably the single most dangerous game played in the streets, I actually stayed away from this one.

Doubt anyone will remember this as it wasn't a game but a torture for some kid from the wrong side of the neighborhood: We called it "oomgallee"(sp). Essentially, four kids each take the arms and legs of someone and hold him in the air, with legs spread, and basically ram the kids crotch into a street pole (usually the green rectangular poles holding up no parking signs). The entire time the mob would chant "oomgallee, ooomgallee." We were f@cking mean sometimes.

I really miss the old Brooklyn.

Edit: I forgot to mention that strikebox was played with a "sponge" ball.

What I really miss is my old Green Machine.

41tdrG8TX%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Dude, it's back..and improved. Huffy makes it with a real tire, steel frame, but still with plastic rear wheels for spin. My kids are getting one in June. $100 at toysrus.

I told my wife I promise to share it with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Huffy-98146-Green-Machine-2/dp/B000GSLRRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1211479339&sr=8-1

Street Hockey and Basketball. Street or backyard Wiffle Ball was always fun too.

ya,,wiffle ball was cool..we mainly played home run derby..

stickball was cool also,,we used the tennis court warm up wall at country club as backstop...

when i was 8 thru 12 , we played pick up baseball games 5 on 5,,

pitcher, 1st base/2nd, shortstop/3rd , a left fielder and a center field..

right field was foul ball

41tdrG8TX%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Dude, it's back..and improved. Huffy makes it with a real tire, steel frame, but still with plastic rear wheels for spin. My kids are getting one in June. $100 at toysrus.

I told my wife I promise to share it with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Huffy-98146-Green-Machine-2/dp/B000GSLRRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1211479339&sr=8-1

My grandma had a Green Machine at her house for when I came to visit but it looked nothing like that. It looked like a regular big wheel with handlebars. I saw one of those and thought it was a horrendous knockoff of the original. :wtf:

I think that was the game where you melted crayons into an old bottle cap and flicked the, now weighted, bottle cap across a board on the sidewalk. That was good stuff, very creative game.

Yeah, that never was big on my block, but somebody would get into it on occaision. Skully or Skelly. Depended on who you asked.

Spaldeen was the smaller/harder black ball? That's insane, only the older kids used those. ;) Edit: I just looked up Spaldeen and one website says that it is the pink rubber ball and not the hard black one. We used those, I remember the streets would be littered with one half of those pink rubber balls. (http://www.spaldeen.com/stoopball.html)

Sewer to sewer football is correct, but if the ball hit an overhanging tree it was a do-over. Favorite route was a down and out between parked cars, virtually unstoppable!

On my block all trees and wires were in play. Football = Cliff Branch, basketball = Tree Rollins. When we were 12 we thought that was very funny.

Probably the single most dangerous game played in the streets, I actually stayed away from this one.

Doubt anyone will remember this as it wasn't a game but a torture for some kid from the wrong side of the neighborhood: We called it "oomgallee"(sp). Essentially, four kids each take the arms and legs of someone and hold him in the air, with legs spread, and basically ram the kids crotch into a street pole (usually the green rectangular poles holding up no parking signs). The entire time the mob would chant "oomgallee, ooomgallee." We were f@cking mean sometimes.

I really miss the old Brooklyn.

Never heard of "oomgallee", but keep away is called "soloogy" or some such. I can say it, but I've never seen it spelled. Johnny on the pony was cool, but when you got older it became too gay, so we only played it when we were very young. When we were real small we played a game called hide the belt. You'd hide the belt and then whoever found it would beat the **** out of everybody with the belt until you could wrestle it away. I don't know why we played it, but I assume some adults made us stop.

We also played a modified version of chase/ringalevio/manhunt based upon whatever show or movie was popular. Some days it would be CHIPs (John is very serious in his business, Panch is out to have some fun....it's CHIPs!), it might be Excalibur, but what it boiled down to was two person teams on bicycles (remember banana seats?), in front was the rider, in back somebody with a wiffle ball bat to pummel the other teams.

old school games - female style..

jumping rope.. though i never could ddo doubled dutch.. and that still haunts me! I was quite envious fo the girls that could

hopscotch.. that was always so much fun.. we got creative with our shapes as we got older

hula hooping.. which i was oh so bad at.. i still would love to learn that one..

jacks...i rocked at that...

anything i am missing gurls?

:D

Stoop Ball

Wiffle Ball

Running Bases - Played between 2 manhole covers and it was like getting caught in a run down in MLB

Off the Wall

Asses up

Man Hunt

Box Ball

Hand Ball

How did you guys play asses up? We played ace, king, queen. That was a sort of chinese handball against a wall where each person is responsible for their own box. Our boxes were big and the wall stucco which made it more interesting. Losers lean on the wall and have the ball thrown at their ass. One of the fondest memories of my childhood was the garbage man begging to play with us and then getting to pelt his oversized ass with the Spaldeen when he lost.

I found this on google maps. This is a few blocks away from where I grew up:

758426.jpg

Anyhow we would play stick ball all day long in an alley just like this. Pretty much taught you to hit the ball up the middle. :)

If we weren't playing stick ball we were playing stoop ball. Every once in awhile we would play tackle football on the concrete. But for some reason that wasn't as much fun.

When we moved to NJ it became all wiffle ball, all the time!

This sounds like Max's last lover's court deposition!!

How did you guys play asses up? We played ace, king, queen. That was a sort of chinese handball against a wall where each person is responsible for their own box. Our boxes were big and the wall stucco which made it more interesting. Losers lean on the wall and have the ball thrown at their ass. One of the fondest memories of my childhood was the garbage man begging to play with us and then getting to pelt his oversized ass with the Spaldeen when he lost.

I think we called "asses up" booties as that was the popular term for asses in brooklyn circa 1988. I think we played it differently than most: group of people about 20-30 feet from a wall with one spaldeen or blue ball. Throw the ball at the wall and it could bounce once and you would have to catch it, but if it hit your hands and you misplayed it then you had to run to touch the wall before someone scooped up the loose ball and tried to pelt you in the ass with it. If you misplayed the ball several times in a row (or if you bobbled it, don't particularly remember exactly) you got what we called "booties." That was when you had to stand against the wall bent over while everyone took a throw at beaning your butt. We didn't incorporate any beaning in chinese handball.

Good (violent) times back then.

Btw, stucco walls were a BITCH for chinese handball!

I think we called "asses up" booties as that was the popular term for asses in brooklyn circa 1988. I think we played it differently than most: group of people about 20-30 feet from a wall with one spaldeen or blue ball. Throw the ball at the wall and it could bounce once and you would have to catch it, but if it hit your hands and you misplayed it then you had to run to touch the wall before someone scooped up the loose ball and tried to pelt you in the ass with it. If you misplayed the ball several times in a row (or if you bobbled it, don't particularly remember exactly) you got what we called "booties." That was when you had to stand against the wall bent over while everyone took a throw at beaning your butt. We didn't incorporate any beaning in chinese handball.

Good (violent) times back then.

Exactly what he said. Group of people throwing a ball against the wall, catch it, you're good. Miss it, welts on your back and ass. Miss it, bobble it whatever three times. you went home crying to mommy.

Archived